PetsMart and ClimbMax

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Christo

PetsMart and ClimbMax

Postby Christo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:51 pm UTC

So, there's a store near me called PetsMart, which is supposed to be cute because it could be Pets Mart or Pet Smart, and there's a climbing gym called ClimbMax, as in Climax. Can anyone know if there's a name for this phenomenon or know of other examples?
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

SammyIAm

Re: PetsMart and ClimbMax

Postby SammyIAm » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:21 pm UTC

I don't know if there's a name for it. I once worked with a PLM system called SmarTeam. Though I generally just pronounced it the way it's spelled: "Smar Team".

Christo

Postby Christo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

Cool. What's a PLM system?
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:17 am UTC

Christo wrote:Cool. What's a PLM system?

Product Lifecycle Management. Suppose you have a factory that makes some sort of widget. The PLM system is a computer system where you store all the technical data about the widgets: engineering and design documents, work instructions for the folks on the floor who assemble the widgets, test data, etc. Ordinarily, PLMs will be structured such that all documents related to a given part number are "attached" to that part. That way, when you look at Widget Type 123, you can easily find all the pieces needed to construct it, all the documents telling you how to construct it, all the documents created during the design phase, and so on.

E: The ClimbMax example just seems to be a homophone; I don't know if the phenomenon has a more specific name than that. Is portmanteau what you're looking for?
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

Christo

Postby Christo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:09 pm UTC

nehpest wrote:
Christo wrote:Cool. What's a PLM system?

E: The ClimbMax example just seems to be a homophone; I don't know if the phenomenon has a more specific name than that. Is portmanteau what you're looking for?

I read the wiki article, and I think Portanteau would be an anppropriate term. Thanks for that.

Another example that SmarTeam reminded me of is Mathlete.

Aiwendil42

Postby Aiwendil42 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

"Mathlete", "SmarTeam" are definitely portmanteaus - each consists of two words, joined via shared letters/sounds. "PetsMart" is something a bit more interesting, in my opinion anyway, as it can be parsed as a simple compound in either of two ways (pets + mart or pet + smart), or as a portmanteau (pets + smart, joined via the common "s").

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:53 pm UTC

Christo wrote:So, there's a store near me called PetsMart, which is supposed to be cute because it could be Pets Mart or Pet Smart

Do you mean PetSmart?
Exit the vampires' castle.

Christo

Postby Christo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:
Christo wrote:So, there's a store near me called PetsMart, which is supposed to be cute because it could be Pets Mart or Pet Smart

Do you mean PetSmart?

I do, indeed. The layout of it is to imply both.

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:30 am UTC

Aiwendil42 wrote:"PetsMart" is something a bit more interesting, in my opinion anyway, as it can be parsed as a simple compound in either of two ways (pets + mart or pet + smart), or as a portmanteau (pets + smart, joined via the common "s").

I believe thats called a pun.

yeyui

Postby yeyui » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:45 am UTC

AdvancED a school accreditation company. Although this one just annoys me.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”