The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Vicarin

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Vicarin » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:58 pm UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
Jimbob also has the advantage of knowing I was town, and so can get a fair bit more information spoiler out of D1 that way.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:17 pm UTC

I went out to investigate crashes at some faraway places in the nice, pretty, photogenic, lush, part of the state I live in. In case anyone's interested, I uploaded some snaps of my trip on Monday/Tuesday.

I lost the ability to put captions on the pictures, so the ones that don't have captions are assorted road sections, wildflowers, and a few photos of kangaroos running in front of our car. They're similar to deer in the USA in that they are often hit by cars and damage the car. We probably had about 5 run in front of us, and I caught two of them with the camera. They are generally only active at dawn and dusk, but on the second morning we left the hotel at 6am, so that's why we saw so many.

https://imgur.com/a/wwzsmF4
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

wam

Postby wam » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:02 am UTC

Those are some.lovely photos!

I am looking for another replacement for chaos mafia
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:59 pm UTC

wam chaos
Spoiler:
I think Madge is Megan Fox. Now given my history of huge inaccuracies when it comes to guessing anything correctly I'm not too comfortable about this read but it just feels so right...

I think Madge is incapable to resist the opportunity to breadcrumb (especially if town) and the 'ODD LIKE A FOX' here seems too deliberate. Fox is said to have made many weird and outlandish comments and Madge might be roleplaying this a tad bit hard. The evidence is slim but as usual is enough for me to jump to conclusions...

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:34 pm UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
Could someone actually read my posts from the 24 hours of D1 and then hit bessie over the head with questions about why she was rolefishing? Arrrgh. Makes me want to not bother info dumping as town before getting lynched in the future if noone is going to actually read it.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:15 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
I'm very disappointed people are assuming I'm being weird/bizarre than assuming there's a method to my madness. I can't hint that I have cop results for Sabrar, Bessie, and Boomfrog(Conman) that say they're all non-town (I suspect I'm insane), so I was hoping that by being weird but plausible deniability-level Madge I was going to be able to have *SOMEONE* latch onto what I was saying, which is why I wrote that I wanted Sabrar, bessie, Boomfrog to all be town because they're clever.

I'm sure I'm just barely skating what Wam considers acceptable hinting, so I'm going to try not to do it too hard.

I'm gonna claim VT now. Hopefully someone will figure it out.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:30 am UTC

Chaos
Spoiler:
If Sabrar was town or I was still in the game Madge might have had a chance. But no, with how bloodthirsty the current group is due to the high percentage of scum, Madge is getting lynched today.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:30 am UTC

Chaos @wam

Spoiler:
Would the two mafia groups be ok with sharing their chats? I'm dying to know what Mafia B has been saying to each other :P

No big deal if they don't want to share, just watching the main thread go oh so slooooooowly...

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:00 pm UTC

Madge, thank you for sharing your photos, and for the interesting details of your work (I’m always fascinated by your job). I’ve been hoping to take some photos for you of interesting traffic-related items, but I’m usually driving when I’m in the car.

wam's Chaos Mafia
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4389044#p4389044
BoomFrog wrote: His huge amount of effort on Bessie was a big waste of time. Yes, she seems very townie on D1 and we won't really be able to sort her until later in the game. Accept that and move on, she won't be lynched D1, it's not worth ranting for two pages about. And you aren't going to be the super genius who suddenly cracks the Bessie code.
That will probably be Zenii, if he ever comes back.

However, I feel that eventually Sabrar’s supercomputer brain will accumulate enough data to find the tell that I don’t even know exists. Like this:
Vicarin wrote:What do you want me to do, just spend hours pouring over these past games in case there's some absurd scumtell that you didn't know about like using 'e's more often as scum than town in your typing?

wam wrote: no, boom is being replaced as he accidentally read a spoiler
I was so relieved when I read this. When I saw BoomFrog was being replaced I was concerned that something happened. Or that his life had gotten so busy that he was leaving the mafia forum again.

Vicarin, after the game I would be happy to provide feedback as to why I was scum reading you, and why your posts made me so angry (which are independent of my alignment), either here or in private.

Sorry spectators I don’t have anything else for you, no super secret thoughts. I’m having enough trouble keeping up with the game. I’m putting more than the hour I had vowed to limit myself to each night, and staying up late to do so. And I spent hours yesterday working on reads (and not finishing them) instead of trying to salvage my work situation. But perhaps my giving in to distraction and not spending every waking moment on my job is a sign my subconscious knows that my work situation is unsalvageable.

Maybe more tonight.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:51 pm UTC

@ bessie: please don't take photos in your car!!! I appreciate you not doing that. I'm going to be going up to the tropical, yet "outback" part of the state (Western Australia is bigger than Alaska) at the end of next month, so look forward to some completely different pictures then - but probably still some effing kangaroos trying to KILL us.

CHAOS

Spoiler:
Here's what my plan was, to everyone who is frustrated at me:
- I can't hint at my role, so everything I do has to be within the broad outline of how Madge normally plays
- So I'm exaggerating a LOT, posting a lot of unsubstantiated reads that relate to the night results I got last night
- I was expecting Boomfrog or Sabrar, someone really analytical like that, to realise I was acting strangely and to figure out I was doing it because it was my only way of getting my message out, and try to look at my posts. I mean, I'm basically trying to breadcrumb like crazy? and nobody's picking up on it?
- My refusal to provide reads is not meant to make me look like a stubborn child, but instead meant to make people wonder why I'm doing that, and hopefully dig into my posts
- My VT claim is a last ditch hope, I'm hoping that by selectively quoting, and insisting with no real verve or vigor that I'm VT, that people will guess the posting restriction. Every question I answer that's a lie due to my post restriction I always couch in being "because I'm VT"

Whether it's a good idea or not, I think it's a logical plan.

I'm a little worried the above runs afoul of wam's rules, but I also think if I was the mod, I'm being subtle enough and it's causing enough CHAOTIC FUN that it's probably allowed - and if people figure out what I'm saying, I'm not going to hide clues in the same way again, because I think if I know people are 90-100% going to understand me, then I am not allowed to communicate that way as that breaks the spirit of the rules.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:56 pm UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
Dang, wouldn't mind seeing that feedback from bessie right now, but I don't think I'd be able to word it without accidentally implying I was town. Oh well, can wait. I think I'm closer to cracking the bessie code at least, this game was awfully interesting.

Glad plytho is being seen as somewhat suspicious given that huuuge backflip between telling BoomFrog that my lynch isn't happening, to jumping onto me near the end.

The main problem with Madge's plan I think is even if she flips town, it's going to take some pretty big logical leaps to get anywhere. And plytho can just mess it up. I think the best piece of evidence would actually be if ConMan released the redirects list, and the Madge immediately said that she shifts one of her reads, that might look interesting enough to get people's attention.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:01 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
Hmmm, seeing some of this discussion is interesting. In general, being wishy washy is seen as scummy, by not commiting hard to any read in particular. However, realistically, town is still usually going to be pretty damn unsure of their reads D1, just because there's so much noise. I wonder if there's too much emphasis on stuff like ordered lists, seeing as they don't appear to be examined much in detail.

Main thing making me wonder this is the analysis of the flips, and being reminded of Stellaris. In Stellaris, when heury got janitored, most people (including me) were still scum reading him. However, I don't remember anyone but me wondering if we should adjust our lynch plan to account for the possibility that he was town. Unless you're over 90% or so sure that you're right, planning for the worst case scenario is sensible. Similarly, this game, everyone had committed to scum reading me and mpolo, so any evidence to the contrary (cough info dump end of D1 cough) is ignored, because we can't have people changing their minds. This is especially egregious with bessie reacting to jimbob here. The likelihood of scum coming forward and trying to claim a janitored scum was town is incredibly low, especially since it limits the kind of claims he can make later. Hence, you should take the new information, update your read, and check if there's anything that was missed in what that person said. Instead, bessie apparently thinks that town!bessie would start scumread get jimbob for that claim??? Also, the reaction to Mark's flip is bizzare. I specifically got Sabrar to state that he didn't think that Mark was getting advice. He should be gobsmacked that he was apparently on a Mafia team, and immediately start narrowing down who would try to not advise him, starting with BoomFrog. Instead, crickets. bessie was completely wrong about her towniest read, and yet refuses to consider that either of the other two deaths were town? It's like everyone is wildly overconfident, and yet doesn't think it's weird if they're startlingly wrong. Aaargh.

Seriously considering asking people to do devil's advocate reads for people at the extreme ends of their lists next game. Because realistically, even the scummiest scum will manage to do some townie stuff, and the towniest town might accidentally do something a bit scummy. If you can't make at least some attempt at those kinds of anti-reads, then it suggests that you're probably not being objective at all. In addition, it should force people to not just tunnel on one kind of behaviour, because if you're reading someone as scum, you're likely to see what they're doing in a scummy light, and vice versa, leading to unwarranted overconfidence when the evidence keeps piling up. I know this, because I'm pretty sure I was brushing some of Sabrar's weirdness under the carpet for most of D1. When I was forced to reevaluate near the end though, I saw what I'd been missing.

Oh well, rambling thoughts over :P

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:41 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
I swear I'm going to scum read Madge every game until she rolls scum, and then I'll think she's town. I understand what she's trying to do, but it looks sooooooo suspicious...

wam

Postby wam » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:58 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
so this could be a bad day for town if they lynch 1 and another gets mod killed.

Also forgot to say earlier I think sabrar suspects there
Is a spoiler reading role hence the random titles.

Still need a replacement for chaos mafia.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:06 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
Ok, ConMan posted the list, that's a really good start. Now we just need Madge to change directions so hard she gives herself whiplash and then maybe people will figure out what happened :lol:

Actually, if this gets figured out, the moody and Sabrar will both be kinda screwed (moody had better get a really good first recruit soon!), which puts bessie/Somitomi in a pretty nice spot. Unless plytho starts shooting them or something, and gets protected by jimbob. Oh boy, this should get exciting!

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:19 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
oh shit, new targets!!!

Sabrar --> moody
BoomFrog / ConMan --> Mark_Cangila
Bessie --> Sabrar

this means I'm sane?!?!?!? So moody and sabrar is scum!?!?!?!??! SHIIIIT

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:12 am UTC

Chaos
Spoiler:
A Clever Lady wrote:@Conman: I'm not happy with Sabrar either.

But I'm just as unhappy with Moody, but I'd be happy to vote either.

Now I think about it, I was probably being harsh on Somitomi and giving Sabrar a pass for buddying me.

This is a very nice post by Madge. Town!bessie would understand exactly what happened here. Curious to see if scum!bessie catches it. I'm assuming jimbob will get it because jimbob.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:02 pm UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
Well, the nice thing about having a blown cover story is that people may not feel the need to dig any deeper. As Sabrar pointed out, being anything but town is already a lynchable offense, but we have bigger fish to fry. Of course that's definitely the case because of the redirect making my N1 recruit fail (redirected to myself, that was hilarious). Hopefully by the time people do get around to me, I'll have some followers. Or if they do lynch me D3 not having been able to recruit anyone I can watch the paranoia from the afterlife and chuckle.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:43 pm UTC

Chaos Mafia @Vic
Spoiler:
The man holding the sticky end of the stick wrote:
I figured that everyone had baked in that if I were full town I would have called BS on BoomFrog's "what if there were no town" statement.

I'm taking partial credit for this. Shout out to JimBob for the dunk!
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:04 pm UTC

Chaos
Spoiler:
jimbob you disappoint me :(

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:25 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Chaos
Spoiler:
A Clever Lady wrote:@Conman: I'm not happy with Sabrar either.

But I'm just as unhappy with Moody, but I'd be happy to vote either.

Now I think about it, I was probably being harsh on Somitomi and giving Sabrar a pass for buddying me.

This is a very nice post by Madge. Town!bessie would understand exactly what happened here. Curious to see if scum!bessie catches it. I'm assuming jimbob will get it because jimbob.

Chaos
Spoiler:
This wasn't blatant enough, and JimBob has a lot of other things to distract him. If Madge had been like: I no longer think Bessie Sabrar and BoomMan are co-aligned. I think Sabrar and moody are scum. Then I think it might have been noticed.

With less then 24 hours to go and scum smelling blood in the water I think Madge is doomed and her results will be ignored. D3 will be all about mpolo coming back to life then lynching moody. D4 we are going to get to the point where most players realize that most other players are scum and the game is going to get really quiet as somitomi or mpolo asks people why they aren't posting much anymore.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:47 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Chaos Mafia @Vic
Spoiler:
I figured that everyone had baked in that if I were full town I would have called BS on BoomFrog's "what if there were no town" statement.

Spoiler:
While he did mess up, your initial read of him was slightly townie, looking back at the spoiler. So no dice :P

Really, I haveno idea why moody blurted that out. The whole paranoia angle doesn't work as wam has said that faction eliminations will be announced, so yeah...

Think that between jimbob self doctoring and mpolo repeatedly resurrecting, town could actually have a pretty decent shot. Main issue seems to be breaking up mafia B, but that will probably happen naturally if jimbob doesn't protect them.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:17 pm UTC

Chaos
Spoiler:
I think Town pretty much has to pair with moody, Sabrar, or maybe both to have any hopes of winning at this point.

If there's a modkill + mislynch, Town could conceivably be basically wiped out tonight, actually (more likely there will be cross-kills or interference, but it could happen).

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:28 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Chaos
Spoiler:
I think Town pretty much has to pair with moody, Sabrar, or maybe both to have any hopes of winning at this point.

If there's a modkill + mislynch, Town could conceivably be basically wiped out tonight, actually (more likely there will be cross-kills or interference, but it could happen).

Spoiler:
No, at the very least, mpolo will keep coming back to life, non-Town can only win by killing him once there's only 1 faction left. Combined with his double vote and anything else he'll pick up from possibly getting killed again, town actually has a pretty decent shot

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:31 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:Chaos Mafia @Vic
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
While he did mess up, your initial read of him was slightly townie, looking back at the spoiler. So no dice :P

Really, I haveno idea why moody blurted that out. The whole paranoia angle doesn't work as wam has said that faction eliminations will be announced, so yeah...

Think that between jimbob self doctoring and mpolo repeatedly resurrecting, town could actually have a pretty decent shot. Main issue seems to be breaking up mafia B, but that will probably happen naturally if jimbob doesn't protect them.

Spoiler:
The benefits from my shenanigans do not need to come directly from my analysis. This is clearly a direct cause and effect from my shenanigan to moody being outed.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:36 am UTC

Chaos @BoomFrog

Spoiler:
If you're going to claim that, you need to take ownership of all the negative effects it had too...

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:54 am UTC

Chaos
Spoiler:
BF may have spilled the beans in his spoilers already, but the truth is that the random redirect boat has sailed. It was a one-chance-only thing. However, the longer that I can pretend that there's another bullet in the chamber, the longer that scum will worry about who they're targeting, hopefully. I've also submitted a pre-emptive use of the resurrection power for D3 (BF was apparently going to use it D2 but I decided to not follow that), with conditions to use it on a townie if possible or a no-alignment-revealed person otherwise. In a game this crazy that may well result in a mafia resurrection, but I guess that's the risk I have to take.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:06 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
D2 turned out to be much more exciting then I expected after those flips, with moody outing himself and ConMan slipping.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:11 am UTC

chaotic wam
Spoiler:
@bessie: you always say that Madge is brilliant and now that she's the only one seeing the true me me me you don't listen to her...

I actually don't want ConMan to be lynched as if he's town his potential redirect might just save me from scum's nk. Though I think he won't be able to use it tonight.
I also don't want Madge to be lynched as she's currently the only one who I have the chance to day-kill.
moody would be an excellent diversion for future days, so I don't want him to go either.
Oh well...

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:14 am UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
Oh boy, I hope Zebra tries to daykill Madge with "Vanilla Town", that will be HILARIOUS!

wam

Postby wam » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:20 pm UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
So wonder if conman is going to be lynched for a formatting error that would be harsh!

Also for those wondering the way I did the list was player by player i , randomly sorted the players list and whoever came out on top became the target.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:21 pm UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
also jimbob raised a good point if players doing spoilers could try and not make it obvious who's dead and reading spoilers and whose not that would be good.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:25 pm UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious I'm not coming back, sorry about spoiling that by how many spoilers I've posted...

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:45 pm UTC

Vicarin wrote:Chaos @BoomFrog

Spoiler:
If you're going to claim that, you need to take ownership of all the negative effects it had too...

Spoiler:
Of course, I do. The negative effects I noticed are that you got distracted from scum hunting for half the Day and you got lynched. Also, arguably it gave Bessie a smoke screen argument to hide behind, but I think she'd have found something else anyway, but I'll take a slight loss of points for that.

What other negative effects did my gambit have? This is a sincere question.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:47 pm UTC

wam wrote:Chaos

Spoiler:
also jimbob raised a good point if players doing spoilers could try and not make it obvious who's dead and reading spoilers and whose not that would be good.

Spoiler:
But less spoilers is less fun. I'd say we should do the opposite. Encourage "not actually dead" players to post multiple spoilers.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:54 pm UTC

wamos mafia
Spoiler:
You all make me want to get nk-d just so I can read the spoilers... :roll:

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:42 pm UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
I wonder if any of the dead or other spectators are frustrated that nobody is bringing up the possibility of me being cult? Looks like me not being able to recruit heury is a bit of serendipity since it looks like he's going to be modkilled, at which point his flip would have let the cat out of the bag and all votes would be turned in my direction. This way there is still some doubt. Going to try for bessie N2. Will most likely have to be around D4 for any chance of a win, which with all the kills and what not may be two of us cult vs 1 mafia left and we win at dawn. I might feel more comfortable if I hadn't gotten "no comment" back on how my recruitment might be inherited. A possibility is that with all the multiball kills going on and the weird redirect, wam figured a full on cult would not be over-powered.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:42 pm UTC

I have put my Newbie Game, Texas Hold'em Mafia into signups. I'm tentatively looking at a start date of Oct 2. Newbies and inexperienced challenged players are welcome :D

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:50 pm UTC

Wam Chaos:
Spoiler:
That was an interesting day... How am I doing at replacing you, Vicarin? On the right lines? Completely barking up the wrong tree?

I assume the spectators know this now, but as I think I previously mentioned, I'm a generic replacement, which meant that I took on Vicarin's role after his lynch. That's why I know his alignment and am assuming that he's permanently dead too. I have his double-doctor role, i.e. I can target two people and protect them, or target one person and protect them twice (presumably, if a player is targeted for two kills and I only prevent one, that's enough to kill them). Interestingly, when I asked if I could self-target, wam gave back "No Comment" which is a bit of a weird response (@wam - I'd be interested in hearing your answer for that post-game), so after protecting Sabrar and plytho N1, I'm protecting Sabrar and myself tonight. Of the players, I think me, Sabrar, somitomi, and plytho are viewed the towniest, but I have my doubts about plytho. I think scum are more likely going to try to take Sabrar and I out. The question is, will they use two kills on one of us?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:50 pm UTC

@LaserGuy, I don't think I'll be able to play in your game. I'm away for two weeks in October, so I don't want to commit time that I may not have.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Return to “Mafia”