XKCD Animation

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

Graham Finch

XKCD Animation

Postby Graham Finch » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:49 am UTC

Not to derail this as an intro thread, but I've been a long-time reader of the comic, and this is my first post in this forum, so I'll just make this brief: "Hi!"

Now that that's out of the way, onto business: My name is (as you can tell) Graham Finch. I'm currently a college student aspiring to be in the film industry, studying in at least one different aspect of production per semester, and this semester, I'm taking a 2D Animation course. Our first major projects of the semester utilizing what we've learned so far (and then some, depending on if we decided to go an extra mile and read further into our textbooks) were turned in this week, and my idea for a first project was a remake of A God's Lament.

My college doesn't really give a damn about copyrights and all that as far as presentations go (hey, they're just presentations), but if we want to broadcast these on the web, we'd have to ask permission from the original sources if we can do so.

I ask you, Randall: Is it okay if I present the animation here?

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Re: XKCD Animation

Postby the_bandersnatch » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:58 am UTC

As far as I'm aware, Randall doesn't read the forums, so you're unlikely to receive a reply. You might be better off emailing him directly.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:37 am UTC

You really should check the (not-so) fine print at the bottom of the comic page...

xkcd.com wrote:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
This means you're free to copy and share these comics (but
not to sell them). More details.

Meh. Best I could do to make it look as close as possible to the original without spending too copiously much time on it.
LOWA

Graham Finch

Postby Graham Finch » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Nimz wrote:You really should check the (not-so) fine print at the bottom of the comic page...

Thanks for pointing that out, Nimz; I didn't notice that.

Well, since I'm in the clear, I guess it's ok, then.

Here it is.

Benny the Bear

Postby Benny the Bear » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:16 am UTC

Pretty good, but the voice is lagging a lot. Maybe put a preloader before the movie actually plays? PM me if you need help with that.

mudge

Postby mudge » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

God is the MCP from Tron?

Edit: Since I don't have the comic memorized, I actually had no idea what you were saying through all the effects.
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mudge <-- buy my CD (Now back in stock!)

Graham Finch

Postby Graham Finch » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:37 am UTC

mudge wrote:God is the MCP from Tron?

Edit: Since I don't have the comic memorized, I actually had no idea what you were saying through all the effects.

What I'd recommend doing is looking at the strip while the Flash movie is hidden. Just read the words in your mind as my voice says them. ;)

Benny the Bear wrote:Pretty good, but the voice is lagging a lot. Maybe put a preloader before the movie actually plays? PM me if you need help with that.

Lagging? :? It plays in proper sync on my end. What connection are you using? Can you maybe elaborate on it a bit further?

And regarding the preloader thing... Sure. :D

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

Yeah, I couldn't understand a word of the dialogue. I understand that you wanted a cool voice effect, but if the video is unintelligible, it doesn't connect with the audience.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:09 pm UTC

I thought that was Also Sprach Zarathustra :)
I have to agree that the speech was almost unintelligible. I can make most of the words out if I have headphones on, but even then the sound you used for each planet coming in completely masked the words at times. E.g. I only know you said "Lisp" because I read the comic.

I liked how you got the alt text in there. Only other suggestion I have is making the credits show up just a little bit longer. Or maybe I'm just weird for liking to read credits.
LOWA

mudge

Postby mudge » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

Graham Finch wrote:
mudge wrote:God is the MCP from Tron?

What I'd recommend doing is looking at the strip while the Flash movie is hidden. Just read the words in your mind as my voice says them. ;)

What I'd recommend doing is not making your viewers jump through hoops just to understand your animation.

Unless of course, you're just doing this as artistic masturbation and don't care how it's received.
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mudge <-- buy my CD (Now back in stock!)

Return to “Your art and links”