Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby Deva » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:18 pm UTC

ZePhoCa wrote:Hello all,

I am seachting for a game I used to play several years ago...

* System: PC/Windows (I guess it was 95 or 98)
* Year: Late 90's or early 2000's if I remember correctly
* Genre: (city) building/construction game (like Sim City)
* Environment: you had to build a city, which included building stuff like car dealers. I remember that you could build "vacation stuff", in particular there was an object with the heads of the easter islands.
* Mood: hopeful and bright

Would be great if someone knows the game :)

Holiday Island? Never saw any Easter Island heads. Included car rentals, though.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

ZePhoCa

Postby ZePhoCa » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:22 am UTC

Deva wrote:
ZePhoCa wrote:Hello all,

I am seachting for a game I used to play several years ago...

* System: PC/Windows (I guess it was 95 or 98)
* Year: Late 90's or early 2000's if I remember correctly
* Genre: (city) building/construction game (like Sim City)
* Environment: you had to build a city, which included building stuff like car dealers. I remember that you could build "vacation stuff", in particular there was an object with the heads of the easter islands.
* Mood: hopeful and bright

Would be great if someone knows the game :)

Holiday Island? Never saw any Easter Island heads. Included car rentals, though.

Yes that's it! Thank you!

colipong7

Postby colipong7 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:52 pm UTC

* Background: I played it with my older brothers , but its a single player game , used to watch eachother. Neither the 3 of us can either remember. Would love to play it now that im older and capable lol.
* System: PC / Windows
* Year: Early 2000s
* Perspective: First Person
* Art style: Realistic / Fantasy . Things looked as they should in medieval times , with added monsters and creatures
* Environment: Medieval RPG? i remember at the beggining of the game killing , almost an ostrich or some other weird animal with a club you find, and you continue to walk down a opth across a small stream , and then enter a castle. Antoehr detail i remmeber , was that there was a console command it mustve been , that allowed you to take control and play as a NPC IE. get their stats weapons armor and things like that. I used to do this and enter the arena in the city as i was very young , and didnt really play all to well. You could also do the same with monsters (i remember one of my brothers had a game save as a fire or frost elemental , and everyone would attack you if they seen you) The game is similar (from what i remember) as a old school skyrim or kingdom come deliverance.

* Genre: RPG
* Gameplay:

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:01 pm UTC

Did you control a party of adventurers?

Lands of Lore 3, Might and Magic 8, or Arx Fatalis?

Arch

Postby Arch » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:28 am UTC

at the beggining of the game killing

Maybe just a knock-out punch?..
almost an ostrich

Maybe a scavenger?...
Spoiler:

to walk down a opth across a small stream , and then enter a castle

A path to Old Camp?...
Spoiler:

a console command it mustve been , that allowed you to take control and play as a NPC IE. get their stats weapons armor
also do the same with monsters
as a fire or frost elemental

b->marvin->b then click button "o" ?...
Spoiler:

Maybe a frost golem?

Totally, colipong7, is this game titled "Gothic" ?

wavelette

Postby wavelette » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:17 pm UTC

* Background: I would love to find a (probably non-commercial) game I played once at a friend's house (but they have no recollection of it) and I think my children would now enjoy. My friend was stuck on the final level and I remember using some interesting graph theory on a piece of paper to work out the solution
* System: PC
* Year: 2003 was when I played it, but the graphics were so simple it could be considerably older
* Perspective: Top-down
* Art style: Basic pixel-art (probably 256 colours). Probably single screen puzzles (no scrolling)
* Genre: Puzzle game
* Gameplay: You had to move around a maze of rooms (one square moved per press of arrow keys). When you move you leave a path behind that you can not cross again (i.e. Tron-like). There were coloured teleporters and I think you needed to collect keys to unlock doors. I think you may have had to walk across every square exactly once to complete the level.

Deva

Postby Deva » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:18 pm UTC

Probably not it, but "The Misadventures of Sir Randolph Doogleberry, British Explorer"?
Randolph Doogleberry.jpg
Randolph Doogleberry.jpg (9.5 KiB) Viewed 2414 times

Inserted smaller, one-time puzzles like this in other games (Knights of the Old Republic, for example). Never found a name for this type of puzzle. May not help with searching, admittedly. Requires others to know the name too.

wavelette

Postby wavelette » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:56 pm UTC

Wow! I think that game fits the description I gave better than the one I remember!

I remember the graphics being slightly better than this, and the puzzle I saw seemed to consist of a number of almost independent rooms with one wide corridors between the rooms, while this one seems just to have the tiles and no surrounding walls.

I tried searching (without success) before posting here, trying terms like Hamiltonian/Euler path or travelling salesman or tron-like, but I don't know the official term for this kind of puzzle.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:47 am UTC

wavelette wrote:I don't know the official term for this kind of puzzle.

It doesn't appear to have a universally accepted name. I suppose it's mostly a derivative of the classic Knight's Tour puzzle.

Personally, I'd call it a "single-use tile destruction maze" game, or "walky smashy smashy crumbly tile puzzle", to give it its proper Latin taxonomy.

Closest thing I could find is a small indie game called Marbles Deluxe, but like Pyramids of Ra, it has the maze grid floating in a void, rather than containing corridors and 'surrounding walls'.

Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:25 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
wavelette wrote:I don't know the official term for this kind of puzzle.

It doesn't appear to have a universally accepted name. I suppose it's mostly a derivative of the classic Knight's Tour puzzle.

They also call it a Q*Bert Floor in another article

Macman920

Postby Macman920 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:16 pm UTC

So here I am trying to figure out an old cd game for my mom. Don't have my hopes up but well see.

* Background: this was in the 90s I believe she played while I was growing up. The idea of the game was you where a knight trying to get across a chess board avoiding fires spiders before the time ran out. I believe it was 2D
* System:played on windows 95
* Year:through the 90s
* Perspective:played in birds eye view
* Art style: 2d with knights almost on a chess board
* Environment: could jump over squares to avoid fires and spiders. Each level had about 10 sub levels
* Mood:
* Genre:time based stategy
* Gameplay:hopping on a chess board to reach the end of level by time

Deva

Postby Deva » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:26 pm UTC

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:48 am UTC

Oh wow, that is *not* a game improved by the use of realistic graphics.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:09 pm UTC

Called SQL wars, or something. Slogan was something like "Tired of games that are just a thin veneer over a database? This game gets rid of the veneer!"
* Background: Interesting meta-concept, fascinating in the purity of gameplay and the transparency of implementation.
* System:webhosted
* Year:augts' I think
* Perspective: Single dimension
* Art style: Tabulated numbers
* Environment:A database table.
* Mood: Meta-mood is snark, but mood of continued gameplay constructive turning int is ruthlessly opportunist/ adversarial.
* Genre: Click and wait real time.
* Gameplay: You have one or more rows in the database. Rows have money, fuel, attackers and defenders, as well as multipliers for those things. Money and fuel are generated by the passage of time * multiplier.
Money was spend on improving multipliers or building new rows. Fuel was spent on attacks.
You could attack and rob other rows.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

DanD

Postby DanD » Wed May 08, 2019 2:33 pm UTC

ETA: Never mind. Found it myself. It was the Settlers II.

* Background: I played in college on my computer. Unfortunately I can't remember many details about the game, it just popped into my head the other day, and I'm trying to track it down.
* System: Mac OS (7? Definitely classic)
* Year: Available as a cracked version on a college network 1998-2001. Don't know the original date.
* Perspective: 2.5d
* Art style: Sprite, I think, definitely cartoonish.
* Environment: Wild lands, forested, mining, quarries, etc.
* Mood: Cheerful, optimistic.
* Genre: About 70% certain on RTS, otherwise turn based.
* Gameplay: Resource managment, resource production. I don't remember controlling units the same way as Warcraft, I think it was just a limited number of units and buildings produced resources directly, but my memory is extremely foggy. You were controlling a (Pseudo) Roman colonist group (after a shipwreck, I think), building up their colony to achieve certain goals. I don't remember the challenges in detail, but at some point you encounter another group that was definitely a shipwreck, Japanese (Using Nippon or a variant spelling in game). I'm pretty certain that the group wasn't actually identified as Roman (it wasn't Caesar or any of those), but the imagery and themes were pretty definite.

Sorry for the lack of details.

Return to “Gaming”