Describing the Meaning of Literal Text

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

jewish_scientist

Describing the Meaning of Literal Text

Postby jewish_scientist » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:52 pm UTC

The "The Bluest Eye" by Toni Morrison, the literal text (the words on the page) adds to the metaphorical text (the piece of art). It is easiest to explain what I mean with examples.

The story switches between the perspectives of 2 characters. For one character, the novel is told from first person point of view and the text is left aligned, while for the other it is third person point of view and justified. In addition, the novel is not told chronologically. At the climax a character has a mental breakdown and starts talking to an imaginary person, whose dialog is not put in quotation marks and is italicized. The equivalent to all of this (except for the non-linearity) in film would be editing and cinematography.

I want to write an essay on how these things add to the story, but I do not know how to search for papers on the topic. What are even the words to describe this technique and the effect it has on the reader?
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Re: Describing the Meaning of Literal Text

Postby Kewangji » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:12 pm UTC

You're talking about Form adhering to Function. Maybe look up the Halliday method of story analysis. I tend to use Leech and Short's handbook Style in Fiction.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

jewish_scientist

Re: Describing the Meaning of Literal Text

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:31 pm UTC

If anyone cares, I found what I was looking for. Fabula refers to the events that happen in a story and syuzhet refers to how a story is presented. I actually found an article that directly talks about the fabula and syuzhet of "The Bluest Eye".
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

Return to “Books”