2111: "Opportunity Rover"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Reka

2111: "Opportunity Rover"

Postby Reka » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:16 pm UTC

Title text: Thanks for bringing us along.

I don't think there's anything to say other than "Aw. [sniff]".

ElWanderer

Re: 2111: "Opportunity Rover"

Postby ElWanderer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:57 pm UTC

I also came here just to say "awww". The Martian rover comics are some of the most touching.
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

TimSheahan

Postby TimSheahan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:49 pm UTC

Wow, right in the feels.

Next to the classic Spirit of course.

mfc

Postby mfc » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:43 pm UTC

This is the first time I've disliked an XKCD comic. The idea that 'share' is good -- when it invariably means "I am showing off" -- is deeply, profoundly, unpleasant.

Yes, it is great that those photos are available to many (although not all). But they would be just as valuable if only one human -- or none -- saw them. Some other 'intelligence' could come across them in the near or far future -- and they would be every bit as significant.

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:50 pm UTC

mfc wrote:The idea that 'share' is good -- when it invariably means "I am showing off" -- is deeply, profoundly, unpleasant.

I think you're reading some different comic. I'm seeing "discovering new things is better if shared", which is not at all the same thing as "sharing is good".

And if nobody ever saw Discovery's data, it'd be useless and senseless. It is emphatically given value only by the fact that people can see it.

(Also, I know we're taught that showing off is this great evil, and anyone who has been stuck listening to a bore at a party will agree, but the thing is, the social cue that bore is missing is not "don't show off", it's "don't be boring". If the thing you're showing off is exciting and cool and leads to one of the most interesting conversations of your life, then clearly showing off was NOT a bad thing to do.)

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 pm UTC

TimSheahan wrote:Wow, right in the feels.

But it was a much more positive feels. That Spirit one should have been titled "How to Make an Engineer Cry".
Whenever visually representing the universe, it's important to include a picture of Saturn!
-- Tom the Dancing Bug

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:04 pm UTC

This one got me.

From @MarsCuriosity
It seems to me you lived your life
like a rover in the wind
never fading with the sunset
when the dust set in.

Your tracks will always fall here,
among Mars' reddest hills;
your candle's burned out long before
your science ever will.

#ThanksOppy. I owe you so much.

And as for "showing off"...as a Planetary Society Member way back then...my name is on Mars, inscribed on a CD we sent along with Oppy. You can see it in some of the pictures just over the right front wheel. (The CD, not my name.)
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

Bridge Troll

Postby Bridge Troll » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:32 pm UTC

mfc wrote:This is the first time I've disliked an XKCD comic. The idea that 'share' is good -- when it invariably means "I am showing off" -- is deeply, profoundly, unpleasant.

Yes, it is great that those photos are available to many (although not all). But they would be just as valuable if only one human -- or none -- saw them. Some other 'intelligence' could come across them in the near or far future -- and they would be every bit as significant.

I strongly disagree that the photos whould be just as valuable if no living beings saw them. Your statement of "no humans" seeing them is predicated upon other sentient beings seeing them, which... I mean... yeah, OK, sharing things with aliens is great too! I hope that when we inevitably wipe ourselves out, some fragments of our culture are preserved for aliens to find, because it's a little lonely thinking about everything humans ever did disappearing with nobody left to appreciate any of it.

Honestly, though, you seem to be quibbling for the sake of quibbling. The idea that 'sharing' is good does not invariably mean "I am showing off", and how you could possibly interpret that from a comic about the Mars rover sharing its discoveries on Mars is... well, you can't. The Mars rover isn't showing off "I have the biggest cliff", or anything like that, so your injection of yourself into this argument was fabricated from nothingness, picking a bone where there wasn't a bone to pick.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:23 am UTC

When I heard the news I figured it would be in today's xkcd because I am certain there is someone at jpl or nasa who has Randal's phone number and gave him a heads up.
The alternative is that Randal drew the comic and then the folks at nasa or jpl saw it and shut the poor little guy down.
I prefer to believe the former, the latter is too disturbing to contemplate.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:29 am UTC

Surely they should have done something in response to that other comic.

(Biding its time. It's just biding its time. It got wind of #1504 and decided to drop off the radar instead.)

Aardwizz

Postby Aardwizz » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:49 am UTC

I don't mind people taking lots of pictures to share. Or even taking lots of pictures that -- whatever their intentions -- they will never actually get around to look at ever again.

What I object to is the 'selfie':
"Here's a picture of me NOT looking at the thing that I came to see."
"Here's a picture of me blocking the view of something important".
"Here's a picture of me making it hard for other people to see what they came to see."

At least when Opportunity took a selfie, it was to get a better sense of scale to the object being photographed.

RIP Opportunity. As one of the 7 billion: thanks for sharing.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:13 pm UTC

dtilque wrote:

But it was a much more positive feels. That Spirit one should have been titled "How to Make an Engineer Cry".

I am, and it did.

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:33 am UTC

mfc wrote:This is the first time I've disliked an XKCD comic. The idea that 'share' is good -- when it invariably means "I am showing off" -- is deeply, profoundly, unpleasant.

By that same logic, no one here needed you to share / show off your opinion.

Note that I am not, by any means, attempting to silence you or suggesting you should not have posted. Rather, I am criticizing your logic. There is, IMO, absolutely a place for healthy sharing, self-expression, and even ego or pride. I'm genuinely a bit sad that you don't seem to have encountered those yet.

DanD

Postby DanD » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:49 pm UTC

I choose this one for Spirit and Opportunity both Image

blasherxkcd

Postby blasherxkcd » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:36 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:
dtilque wrote:

I am, and it did.

I totally agree with the above comments. This one really got to me.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:39 pm UTC

Somebody expanded on that for a 'happy ending'.

Sorry it's small...can't get at the "original". NetNanny prohibits Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments ... unitys_90/
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”