Email Bypass

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

heuristically_alone

Email Bypass

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed May 09, 2018 1:53 am UTC

I have an older computer (Vista) that isn't connected to the internet. I want to put some music production software on it to record music and don't care about this computer being hooked up to the internet. The software I want to put on though requires an email address to register it before I can use the software. Is there a way to bypass this? I already have the software and it's never been downloaded in another system before.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Sizik

Re: Email Bypass

Postby Sizik » Wed May 09, 2018 4:22 am UTC

Create a throwaway email account?
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed May 09, 2018 4:43 am UTC

The problem is that I am not connected to the internet so it wont let me register until it sends an email. I just want to download the software from the CD and be done, but it wants to register with my email first.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

speising

Postby speising » Wed May 09, 2018 6:25 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:download

the technical term you're looking for is "install".
doesn't the software have any offline registration option? seems rather shitty to me.
install on a different computer temporarily?
does it send the email directly or through your email client? in the latter case, you could save it and copy it to another machine to send.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed May 09, 2018 9:20 am UTC

Does the software complain about no internet connection available, when you try it offline? Does it bring up a (failing to connect) default browser window with a URL in it that you can copy, with the expectation that you then type a return code back into it, manually? Probably the former. (If the latter, resubmit the attempt on a connected machine and then return the favour manually, maybe.)

If it 'phones home', internally, to supply the email address to the vendor, it depends on how sophisticated it is.

If it's trivial, you could just do something like set up Apache, alter your hosts file to make www.vendorname.com redirect to localhost and then (with trial an error and checking your connection log) create a page that accepts the HTTP-pushed information and responds with anything that's not a 404

If it's more complicated, but still HTTP-based, you might need to take the pushed info and resend it from a normal browser on another machine to discover the single "confirmed to have sent" return value in the page, possibly a custom 2xx that you can fake at the standalone end.

If it uses asymmetric encryption (and, especially, an arbitrary network protocol) to return to the software a key that calculation proves satisfies the email+salt private encryption at the vendor end, it gets a whole lot more complicated to Sneakernet the whole thing, maybe effectively impossible to do it.

You might need to set up a bridging proxy (assuming you have no desire to quickly set the machine up with a proper connection) with fully-locked down firewalling that you can analyse the blocking that goes on and then selectively let through just this program's request. That's work and effort, too.

Would the vendor be sympathetic to just giving you a patched version (or clues enough on how you can already circumvent their 'security') if you talk to them nicely? If not them, there are probably others who would 'crack' the authentication process, but I wouldn't want to encourage that in general.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Wed May 09, 2018 2:14 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:The problem is that I am not connected to the internet so it wont let me register until it sends an email. I just want to download the software from the CD and be done, but it wants to register with my email first.

Ah, I interpreted
heuristically_alone wrote:[I] don't care about this computer being hooked up to the internet.

as meaning you didn't have any preference about connecting it to the internet, not that you were unwilling/unable to.
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Return to “The Help Desk”