Sherlock Mafia - Game over - someone wins!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
dimochka
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm UTC
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby dimochka » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:29 am UTC

Mafia can coordinate via pm at night. At times communication during the day is allowed too, but I see nothing to suggest as much. Therefore any private chatting during the day is probably impossible.

Voting for yourself for the box makes sense, but is completely useless for our purposes. We need to choose other people instead. I'm leaning towards letting some of the new players a shot at it, if they can provide good content.

Also my banter stopped because the vote was omgus and I didn't see anything specific to pick on there. I would be more worries if I used his original post to drive a lynch at him.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

I haven't even posted yet. Pay attention.

FoS all the people that didn't think M was Moriarty. That's so basic.

I expect a few indies. I suck at balance, but anything is possible. What's a ninja?
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby wam » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote: What's a ninja?


A power that allows all kills to be undetected.

The Mod highly agrees with this statement

serrapaladin wrote:
Everyone that hasn't seen the series should really take a few hours out of their life and WATCH IT! (am I allowed to post links?... I hope so :|)

Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

I maintain that the books should be read first. They're very well written.

Going to confess I didn't think of scum coordinating for the box Just Me. Interesting theory.

In every game I've played as a Mafioso scum have been able to talk during the day (including other wam games)...so I'm going to assume that holds true.

User avatar
Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.
Posts: 1456
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:47 am UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby Xenomortis » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

If scum want to coordinate things so I get the box, I'm fine with that.
Not only do I get the box, but scum would have shined a lot on themselves.
Image

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby wam » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

As I am really bored at work today, for those new people asking what I am like as a mod here are the last 5 games I ran.

Worst Roles
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=103508

Ice and Fire
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=100889

Pick your Chaos (a Pick your alignment game)
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=100407

Eureka (last flavoured one written from scratch)
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=99348

Community paintball wars
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=99334
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby wam » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

Current Votals:

UniqueScreenname - 1 (just_me)


Not Voting: Angua, cjquines, Djehutynakht, just_me, moody7277, serrapaladin, StubbsKVM, Thirdkoopa, Valius II, Xenomortis, bouer, dimochka

13 alive, 7 to lynch. Deadline in just over 6 days.

Current Box Votals:

Angua - 1 (moody7277)
Xenomortis - 1 (Xenomortis)
bouer - 1 (bouer)


Not Voting: Angua, cjquines, dimochka, Djehutynakht, just_me, serrapaladin, StubbsKVM, Thirdkoopa, UniqueScreenname, Valius II
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
serrapaladin
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:39 am UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby serrapaladin » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

just_me wrote:Vote USN

green voting for yourself is essentially anti town because scum can coordinate and we cannot.

I think we should discuss which power from the box should be used (on whom) if someone gets it. That reduces its utility to scum, because we can check in the next day whether the right item is missing.

Oh my, so much questionable content in such a small post. The USN vote looks sort of like it should belong to the rest of the post, but it really doesn't. If that's meant to be a random vote, timing and context are at least a bit off.

I don't even know what just_me means by scum being able to coordinate green voting. If scum want to conspire to give a self-voting townie the box, I'm okay with that. If you mean that scum will be able to all vote for one of theirs to win the box, I'm okay with that too, since they'll out themselves in the process and the misfiring pistol is the only thing scum might have a reason to go for, and that just has a 50% chance of even working.

It's also worth noting that thinking scum can coordinate their box-votes implicitly assumes some sort of day-talk which I'll get to after this.

Wanting to control the box choice and target is awful. The whole point of voting for the box is that someone we consider town gets it. Predetermining the action just makes it that much easier for scum to counter it. Anyone who uses the box should of course claim the result the next morning. The next person to get the box will tell whether they were lying about the item. If scum does happen to get the box, I doubt they would do something to give themself away.


dimochka wrote:Therefore any private chatting during the day is probably impossible.

Djehutynakht wrote:In every game I've played as a Mafioso scum have been able to talk during the day (including other wam games)...so I'm going to assume that holds true.

So what's the deal with this? Is there simply no accepted site standard? It seems as though you've both been around for a while, so I wouldn't expect you to be ignorant to something like this, so which one of you is feigning ignorance?


@mod: are the mafia allowed to communicate during the day?

Also, how do you resolve the box-votes? At hammer, do you simply go for plurality of green votes? What about ties? Is the box-vote locked in (hammered) if there's a strict majority at any point during the day?



Am I right in saying that the three cops are basically useless without sanity-flips? The only way you can possibly get useful information out of the third cop is if the first two give the same sanity of result, which isn't very likely at all.


Finally, some background for those who haven't seen the BBC series: the Conan Doyle stories are transposed to modern day London with Sherlock in his usual position as consulting detective to Scotland Yard and his friend and flatmate Watson a retired army doctor with PTSD. Without spoiling much, Moriarty features as consulting criminal and evil mastermind and Sherlock's brother Mycroft could be seen as Moriarty's scheming counterpart in the upper echelons of British intelligence. As opposed to the books and movies, Sherlock's Moriarty doesn't have any identifiable accomplices.

Speaking of possible villains, Irene Adler is a typical indie for Sherlock Holmes games, and the most stereotypical scum setup is Moriarty as Godfather and Sebastian Moran as some form of Strongman. The games wam linked don't look quite so predictable though, so I'm expecting (and hoping for) a good twist or two.

USN, I'll give you that we're probably dealing with Moriarty, but it's at least worth noting that in the BBC series, Mycroft signs his texts to Sherlock with 'M':

Image

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby wam » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

serrapaladin wrote:@mod: are the mafia allowed to communicate during the day?

Also, how do you resolve the box-votes? At hammer, do you simply go for plurality of green votes? What about ties? Is the box-vote locked in (hammered) if there's a strict majority at any point during the day?


No comment


The plurality at hammer or deadline will take it. Ties will be resolved randomly, the box cannot be hammered.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

serrapaladin wrote:So what's the deal with this? Is there simply no accepted site standard? It seems as though you've both been around for a while, so I wouldn't expect you to be ignorant to something like this, so which one of you is feigning ignorance?


Many things are left to mod discretion. Though, once again, I've never been the Mafia without a chat running both day and night.

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby moody7277 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

Vote: just_me

for that awful, uniformed post.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5944
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby Angua » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

Ok,

On the recent issue of mafiachat during the day - most games that I've played on here only had night chat. However, maybe's that's changed in the couple of months that I haven't been playing.

I agree that Irene Adler will probably be an indy. Moriarty is often a mastermind behind other things, and did a great disguise in the tv show so a godfather is definitely on the cards.

On the box, I think it would be a good idea to vote on it towards later in the day when we have a feeling for who is who (though I'm flattered at being chosen!). I think we should also (for the first couple of days) not vote for ourselves (later in the game this could be more prone to abuse by scum factions, which is why I think that it's only for the first couple of days when town definitely has a large majority). I think that we should suggest what to do with it beforehand, but it doesn't matter too much - the fact that none of the cops are guaranteed to be sane doesn't make them that useful, and I think that we should only use the pistol as a last resort (so will be very suspicious of someone who uses it without further input from town).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
StubbsKVM
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:42 am UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby StubbsKVM » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

I can't say I'm much informed about Sherlock, so any speculation on who would be in will not come from me.
Stubbs - next time I'm scum I think I'll just policy NK you at the first possible opportunity.(Suzaku)

User avatar
bouer
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby bouer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

For at least the first day, anyone who votes for someone other than themselves should probably be considered suspicious. Nobody can possibly be confirmed town yet. Once someone does get the box, they should choose anything other than the pistol. The pistol is very clearly anti-town, because whoever uses it could kill a town and claim it misfired.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Box Vote: Bouer

Just for the humor.

User avatar
Thirdkoopa
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:07 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby Thirdkoopa » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:44 am UTC

Hi guys what's going on.

...not even RVS?

I'll start RQS tomorrow.
Image

User avatar
cjquines
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:30 am UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby cjquines » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:59 am UTC

RVS is not the usual xkcdmafia thing.
So I'm flavorless.

j_m's vote on USN is extremely out of place/character. Poorly justified, USN didn't post anything, if it was a random vote it wasn't clear.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:50 am UTC

RVS? RQS?

Elaborate, si vous plait my good gentlemen.

User avatar
StubbsKVM
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:42 am UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby StubbsKVM » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:12 am UTC

Koopa, you also from mafiascum?
Stubbs - next time I'm scum I think I'll just policy NK you at the first possible opportunity.(Suzaku)

User avatar
Thirdkoopa
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:07 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby Thirdkoopa » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

StubbsKVM wrote:Koopa, you also from mafiascum?

Yes I'm from mafiascum

Random Voting Stage
Random Question Stage
Image

User avatar
Thirdkoopa
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:07 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby Thirdkoopa » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

I'll start here

Xeno, how much scum do you think there are?
Unique and Stubbs, if you two each had a kingmaker, who would you lynch?
Just_Me, what do you think of this type of setup?
Valius, will you be productive? Do you have a known history of lurking?
DImo, were you going to co-mod?
Djeh, say the lynch is only between Angua and Bouer, who would you vote for?
Cjquines, what's with your name?
Moody, do you prefer Random Voting Stage or Random Questioning Stage
Serrapaladin, how much have you played on MafiaScum
Angua, Bouer, what do you two do normally to break the ice? Is this your first game?
Image

User avatar
StubbsKVM
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:42 am UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby StubbsKVM » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

Thirdkoopa wrote:Stubbs, if you had a kingmaker, who would you lynch?


I would lynch Dj, only because he said he'll never trust me again ;)

No really, I don't really have any suspects yet, so I have no idea
Stubbs - next time I'm scum I think I'll just policy NK you at the first possible opportunity.(Suzaku)

User avatar
cjquines
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:30 am UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby cjquines » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:55 pm UTC

Thirdkoopa wrote:Cjquines, what's with your name?


CJ is my nickname (short for Carl Joshua), and Q is the first letter of my last name, while uines is just a random combination of letters.

User avatar
serrapaladin
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:39 am UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby serrapaladin » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:58 am UTC

Thirdkoopa wrote:Serrapaladin, how much have you played on MafiaScum

I think I'm at 30 games or so over the last year, but the majority of my experience is from f2f. What about you? What's your ms.net account?

Not knowing whether scum have daytalk makes this a bit more difficult. It's probably just better to assume they do.

When does posting usually kick off? I'd be willing to wagon just_me, but I'm wary of how many people aren't contributing yet.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:34 am UTC

Thirdkoopa wrote:Djeh, say the lynch is only between Angua and Bouer, who would you vote for?



I can't answer that. You see, just because the vote is between the two of them doesn't mean either one actually is a Mafioso. And if I didn't think either of them was a Mafioso, I'd vote no lynch. If I thought one of them was, I'd vote for them regardless of whether it was the two of them or not.

As of right now, I have no confirmed readings.


Also, Stubbs, I don't mean I'd never trust you again. I just won't unfailingly trust you again. My wholesome Covert Ops view of you exists no more.

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby moody7277 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:10 am UTC

Thirdkoopa wrote:Moody, do you prefer Random Voting Stage or Random Questioning Stage


Well, a couple of games I'd been in that had some random votes done ended with some misunderstandings. Random Questioning does seem to have the benefit of generating talk to use for analysis later.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
dimochka
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm UTC
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby dimochka » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:16 am UTC

On vacation in Montreal till tomorrow late so very quick post.

I offered to co-mod but no one reached out to me on it so as far as I'm concerned I was never considered for it. I did take over modding responsibilities from wam
in Ice and Fire Mafia. I'm ok with assuming that scum have daychat because all that means is that we should be a bit more careful (at least on D1) with wagons, both on lynch and on box. But realistically I still doubt it. Most vanilla-ish games do not have day chat, at least from the games I've played in.

I don't have any time for analysis now as I'm on phone on wifi in hotel but maybe tomorrow when I get back home.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5944
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby Angua » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:19 am UTC

[quote="Thirdkoopa"
Angua, Bouer, what do you two do normally to break the ice? Is this your first game?[/quote]
I normally just start with some basic spec about the flavour and set-up - contribute my own when I'm familiar with the material, and ask other people when I'm not. I have watched all the BBC sherlock's, and the RDJ movies, but don't remember the ins and outs all that well.

This isn't my first game, I've just come out of Multiverse, and have played quite a few games on here in the past.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Valius II
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:33 am UTC
Location: You know, that place near the thing to the left of the whatsit.

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby Valius II » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

Thirdkoopa wrote:Valius, will you be productive? Do you have a known history of lurking?


As mentioned earlier, I was traveling internationally. You may find that things on this forum proceed a bit slowly and lenience is often allowed (in my limited experience at least).

That having been said, I did finally reach my destination last night and so I'm here now and will be posting regularly as promised.

User avatar
bouer
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby bouer » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

Thirdkoopa wrote:I'll start here
...
Angua, Bouer, what do you two do normally to break the ice? Is this your first game?


I was just gone for the weekend, and I start work in a few minutes, so I'll make a longer post later.

This is the second game I've ever played, so I don't normally do anything. Asking questions like these and guessing set up both seem like good options.

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby moody7277 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

bouer wrote:
Thirdkoopa wrote:I'll start here
...
Angua, Bouer, what do you two do normally to break the ice? Is this your first game?


I was just gone for the weekend, and I start work in a few minutes, so I'll make a longer post later.

This is the second game I've ever played, so I don't normally do anything. Asking questions like these and guessing set up both seem like good options.


I got a nuclear warhead chucked at me once for guessing at the setup. Granted the guy who did it was the jester.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

just_me
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby just_me » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:25 am UTC

So lets see what the cat dragged in:
serrapaladin wrote:I don't even know what just_me means by scum being able to coordinate green voting. If scum want to conspire to give a self-voting townie the box, I'm okay with that. If you mean that scum will be able to all vote for one of theirs to win the box, I'm okay with that too, since they'll out themselves in the process and the misfiring pistol is the only thing scum might have a reason to go for, and that just has a 50% chance of even working.

This does not make any sense. And is highly scummy (or nooby) in my eyes.
1) They could simply say, oh I didn't want a deadlock, so I just voted the other person I thought towniest. Then you have to deal with plenty of wine.
2) The box is powerfull for scum, simply because town will not be able to use the power. Plus they can use the rolecop (which will be near-to-useless to town).

It's also worth noting that thinking scum can coordinate their box-votes implicitly assumes some sort of day-talk which I'll get to after this.

No it does not. In a situation where everyone votes herself one scum might just simply change his vote. For them its the same who of them gets the box. It doesn't need to be explicit coordination via communication.
Wanting to control the box choice and target is awful. The whole point of voting for the box is that someone we consider town gets it. Predetermining the action just makes it that much easier for scum to counter it. Anyone who uses the box should of course claim the result the next morning. The next person to get the box will tell whether they were lying about the item. If scum does happen to get the box, I doubt they would do something to give themself away.

What kind of "countering" do you have in mind? (I am just asking because I can't think of anything, you shouldn't explain it if its helpful to scum and non-obvious)
I see your point though to some extent here. My argument for determining the action beforehand would be that we can't be sure we hit a town and its risk-reduction to determine the action in advance. The only problem is that we might pick PR, who have more information and could use the box to better avail than the decision of the thread.

Am I right in saying that the three cops are basically useless without sanity-flips? The only way you can possibly get useful information out of the third cop is if the first two give the same sanity of result, which isn't very likely at all.
[/quote]
moody7277 wrote:Vote: just_me

for that awful, uniformed post.

bit quick to the vote, but hey, third one on the bandwaggon is scum right.. not second one.
(honestly I think he just got impressed by serras post.)

cjquines wrote:RVS is not the usual xkcdmafia thing.
So I'm flavorless.

j_m's vote on USN is extremely out of place/character. Poorly justified, USN didn't post anything, if it was a random vote it wasn't clear.

Seems kind of cautious.

serrapaladin wrote:When does posting usually kick off? I'd be willing to wagon just_me, but I'm wary of how many people aren't contributing yet.

eh.. what? There are two people voting me and you are willing to bandwagon on a vote based on one post. This makes you look plenty scummy (and this is not OMGUS)

I am somewhat surprised that people find a vote on a person who hasn't posted yet to be "uninformed".. its either a randomvote, a confusion or fishing.
Mine was rather intended as randomvote but it looks like it turned out to be fishing.
1) Xeno, how much scum do you think there are?
2) Unique and Stubbs, if you two each had a kingmaker, who would you lynch?
3) Just_Me, what do you think of this type of setup?
4) Moody, do you prefer Random Voting Stage or Random Questioning Stage

Because I think its good to generate more content I'll just answer all the questions I find sufficiently general (and encourage others to do so too):
1) 3 or 4 (I think rather 3 with some powers, I don't really think there will be vanilla mafia [mostly because of flavour, so the belief is not very well founded])
2) At the moment I would lynch serra or moody, I am not very happy about that, because they are both new (and I have this slight towny vibe from moody but I think they jumped a bit to hastily at my post)
3) I mean I don't really know what the setup is. I suspect there is no jester, again based on flavour. I trust wam that he balanced this game properly.
But it seems even totally awkwardly unbalanced games can go quite well (discordian mafia is a nice example). The variety of possible roles is quite hight but I am quite happy that we won't see any totally crazy roles.
4) both. Although in retrospect I think the questions were more informative for later analysis than the votes.

unvote

User avatar
Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.
Posts: 1456
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:47 am UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:35 am UTC

Quotes are not taken chronologically.

Thirdkoopa wrote:Xeno, how much scum do you think there are?

Through the activity known as "reading" the following can be divined:
Xenomortis wrote:2 Mafia (at least one with an additional power - I think that's implied by the setup anyway)
At least one indie, no more than two (probably SK, maybe a Survivor too)

From this riddle of an omen, I have determined that I suspect there are three scum.

serrapaladin wrote:Not knowing whether scum have daytalk makes this a bit more difficult. It's probably just better to assume they do.
When does posting usually kick off? I'd be willing to wagon just_me, but I'm wary of how many people aren't contributing yet.

Looking through wam's last five games, three have had scum have night-chat only (Ice and Fire, Community Paintball, and Random Newbie), two have had them able to chat at any point (Eureka and Pick your Chaos).
From this, I determine nothing.

Activity is always low over the weekend.

serrapaladin wrote:Does anyone think bouer is scum?

No.

just_me wrote:Vote USN

green voting for yourself is essentially anti town because scum can coordinate and we cannot.

I think we should discuss which power from the box should be used (on whom) if someone gets it. That reduces its utility to scum, because we can check in the next day whether the right item is missing.

This is a lurker vote, a false statement and an arguable statement. Not convinced we should pin down both target and power, or even that we should do this at all. Predetermining a set course of actions for each power might be reasonable. It doesn't really help though; if scum gets the box then they can still burn a power and lie about the result, which stops us determining the sanities later.

That said, the individual cop powers are basically useless on their own. I vote that, whatever happens with the box, those get used first unless we get some useful information that would make one of the other powers useful.

serrapaladin wrote:Oh my, so much questionable content in such a small post...

moody7277 wrote:Vote: just_me

for that awful, uniformed post.

:roll:

Ninja post:
I'll work that one out later.
Image

User avatar
Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.
Posts: 1456
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:47 am UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:39 am UTC

When are results from box powers given to the user?
Specifically, are they given at the start of the next day or before, during the night.
Image

User avatar
dimochka
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm UTC
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby dimochka » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

back from vaca, catching up.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby wam » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:When are results from box powers given to the user?
Specifically, are they given at the start of the next day or before, during the night.


They are given at the start of the next day.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.
Posts: 1456
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:47 am UTC

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

Unfortunately the train of thought that prompted that question has long since left the station and I must run to catch it...
Image

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5944
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby Angua » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

Something to do with how helpful the box would be to people at choosing what to do with their night powers? A vig could potentially use the cop power to choose who to take out (though given that you don't know which cop you're getting, it's not that useful), etc.

just_me wrote:2) The box is powerfull for scum, simply because town will not be able to use the power. Plus they can use the rolecop (which will be near-to-useless to town).
How is a role-cop useless to town? If the role comes up 'doctor' then you know someone's probably a townie, and if it comes up 'lord sk' then they are pretty much scum (not going for 100% certaincy due to insanity, though it would be interesting to see how a rolecop's insanity works out).
just_me wrote:
serrapaladin wrote:
When does posting usually kick off? I'd be willing to wagon just_me, but I'm wary of how many people aren't contributing yet.

eh.. what? There are two people voting me and you are willing to bandwagon on a vote based on one post. This makes you look plenty scummy (and this is not OMGUS)
I'm wondering if serrapaladin's quickness to want to bandwagon someone (which makes me feel somewhat uneasy as well) comes from a different style of play over at mafiascum? As we seem to have 3? players from there, it would be good to find out about some of the differences in cultures and style of play. We already seem to have found out about this random question stage and random vote stage (though I'm not certain I see how a random vote would be useful if everyone is doing it).
moody7277 wrote:I got a nuclear warhead chucked at me once for guessing at the setup. Granted the guy who did it was the jester.
If you don't guess at the set-up, then what are you supposed to talk about on D1? I get that this is probably a joke, but discouraging a newbie (who is more likely to take this seriously) from speculating isn't a good thing.

Not sure how I feel about just_me so far, going to have to let the cobwebs clear from the last game.

I am still in favour of no one voting for themselves for the box.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby moody7277 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
just_me wrote:2) The box is powerfull for scum, simply because town will not be able to use the power. Plus they can use the rolecop (which will be near-to-useless to town).
How is a role-cop useless to town? If the role comes up 'doctor' then you know someone's probably a townie, and if it comes up 'lord sk' then they are pretty much scum (not going for 100% certaincy due to insanity, though it would be interesting to see how a rolecop's insanity works out).


While it would be useful to confirm townie power roles, IIRC scum come up as vanilla townie.

Angua wrote:
moody7277 wrote:I got a nuclear warhead chucked at me once for guessing at the setup. Granted the guy who did it was the jester.


If you don't guess at the set-up, then what are you supposed to talk about on D1? I get that this is probably a joke, but discouraging a newbie (who is more likely to take this seriously) from speculating isn't a good thing.


It wasn't a joke, but a stone cold fact. Didn't mean to discourage anyone by it, as I hoped the second sentence there would have indicated.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5944
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Sherlock Mafia - D1 The dingy warehouse

Postby Angua » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
Angua wrote:
just_me wrote:2) The box is powerfull for scum, simply because town will not be able to use the power. Plus they can use the rolecop (which will be near-to-useless to town).
How is a role-cop useless to town? If the role comes up 'doctor' then you know someone's probably a townie, and if it comes up 'lord sk' then they are pretty much scum (not going for 100% certaincy due to insanity, though it would be interesting to see how a rolecop's insanity works out).


While it would be useful to confirm townie power roles, IIRC scum come up as vanilla townie.

Angua wrote:
moody7277 wrote:I got a nuclear warhead chucked at me once for guessing at the setup. Granted the guy who did it was the jester.


If you don't guess at the set-up, then what are you supposed to talk about on D1? I get that this is probably a joke, but discouraging a newbie (who is more likely to take this seriously) from speculating isn't a good thing.


It wasn't a joke, but a stone cold fact. Didn't mean to discourage anyone by it, as I hoped the second sentence there would have indicated.

I didn't realise that's how scum come up on role cop, (though, as this is Sherlock, one would hope moriarty should he be in this game would just be named to the role cop).

My point is, that just because it happened to you once, you mentioning it as though it is a more likely thing to happen comes across as a bit discouraging.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests