1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sustainabilizer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:08 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:New OtherComic.

The author of this post has received financial compensation from Panther Salve, who say if you've ever felt Lucky, you need Panther Salve.
lmjb1964 wrote::azule:

:azule:, too.

New OtherComic.

balthasar_s wrote:Is it time to analyse everything again? […]

And again, Balthasar is correct (except for one detail). :)
(BTW, the new features of the viewer are really steakish.)

Oops, poped!
Pondering about a decree …

… okay: Ponder about tools.

For decree: I guess that b and kxa now would have use for a steam bottle.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:11 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:I guess that b and kxa now would have use for a steam bottle.

Ugh.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

rezilibaniatsuS

Re: 1190: Time for Physics – phys-0058

Postby rezilibaniatsuS » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:00 am UTC

I'M GOONG TO KETCHUP GAZEBOES LIKE I'VE NEVER UPKETCHED GAZEBOES BEFORE. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

-- posted by rezilibaniatsuS

addams

Postby addams » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:02 pm UTC

Weather Report:
Spoiler:
It is a Beautiful Summer's Day right here, in the middle of winter.
I hope you, each and every OTTer Poster, are able to enjoy this day as much as I am.

Yey! Me!
The bright SunShine is warming my feet.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

svenman

Postby svenman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:51 pm UTC

New phys frame:
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Obviously quantum mechanics (represented by a Feynman diagram) and general relativity. The sketch at the bottom left stands for Newtonian gravity, I suppose, but I don't recognize the one above it.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die!
But will Addams have a place
to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:21 am UTC

svenman wrote:Obviously quantum mechanics (represented by a Feynman diagram) and general relativity. The sketch at the bottom left stands for Newtonian gravity, I suppose, but I don't recognize the one above it.

That one is a representation of electron orbitals, one with a high magnetic number because of all the lobes.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:38 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:37 pm UTC

So the decree topic of the page is tools.

Does a bike count as a tool?
If I use it as something that allows me to go to FFS or shopping.

I modified one of the bikes for my needs.
Now it also has a box above the front wheel. So there are two now:
Very useful if I have to go shopping and buy things.

I also had to relocate the front lamp (and the redundalamp) and the red switch which turns on the lights:
Spoiler:

Redundant
Spoiler:
btool3.jpg
btool2.jpg
btool1.jpg

ETA: And just now I have damaged it when I tried to fix one thing in it.
Spoiler:
It still had one problem left.
The handlebar was getting a little bit loose. very little but such thing should be corrected anyway.
There is a very long vertical screw holding the handlebar in place.
Obviously, all I had to do in such situation is to tighten the screw a little.
But I couldn't.
I could rotate it clockwise forever and nothing changed.
So most likely the thread is damaged and the screw is rotating in place.
Ok, so I have to fix this.
I can either do this myself or have someone do it.
I always choose to fix all by myself and only if I'm not able to do it I bring the bike to repair.
But this time that was a wrong choice.
At home I tried to unscrew it to pull out the handlebar and see what it looks like.
But it uscrewed only a little bit and then stopped. Then again I could unscrew forever and nothing changed.
The handlebar became completely loose so I could even make a full rotation independent of the wheel.
But I could still not pull it out.
The bottom element at the end of the screw got stuck.
maybe mechanically, maybe because of some rust, I don't know.
When I'm rotating the handlebar the screw is not moving with it.
After I saw that I failed I decided to bring it back to the initial state and bring the bike to service.
I know one place where they are very good at solving problems with older bikes.
But I couldn't.
No matter how much I rotated the screw nothing was changing.
So I not only couldn't pull it out but also couldn't put it back.

I also tried a spray to maybe make it unstuck and also tried to use a hammer to make it move downwards to pull it out afterwards but no effect.

Now the bike is not rideable any more because of the completely loose handlebar.
And also I can't take the bike to service because I'm not able to bring it there any more.
Previously I could just go there by bike and leave it there and return by bus.
But I can't go there on this bike because it is not rideable any more.
And I will not go there on foot with the bike because that's a bit far...

I shouldn't have tried to do this but I always want to try it by myself and learn something...

ETA2:
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Observing and thinking are the best! :)
So he will tell us a tale now?
An aristotale?

What will we learn from it?

Looks like we'll have to
Spoiler:
observe and think.

ETA3:
The face in previous frame (59) kind of looks like polandball.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

SilentTimer

Re: 1190: "Time on the Moon Without Food"

Postby SilentTimer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:01 pm UTC

ONG THE LEFT ...
Go find some food

The quest to find food has begun.
You start walking forward and looking around.
There is a door on the left.

What might be behind that door?
Be careful and check pressure before you open it!

The “BB” link in the BSTA viewer is a very useful tool.
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Help addams!

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:25 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time for a dip trip"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:45 pm UTC

Yesterdip was an exciting and molpish dip.
I meant to write and post this a dip ago but there was a reason I couldn't.

It started out with family members gifting me presents.
Some presented me with gifts.

Later in the morning (later than planned, haha) we travelled by rolling castle by a few shortpix to the ocean.
The ocean is like unto the sea, but moreso.

On arrival at the beach, we ate pies and sausage rolls for lunch, which we purchased at a bakery at the halfway point of the trip.
After eating we spent a shortpix or so getting organised before actually getting onto the sand and into the ocean.

We did have fun in the ocean but I would have preferred for the waves to be less riverish.
It was plenty warm though, and sun protection was a must.

After taking a break from the water - I listened to an audiobook for a while - we warmed up by playing a ball game.
It's called Grip Ball, and uses a ball and paddles covered in Velcro.

I had forgotten we had that game as I had not played it in many years.
It's a relic from my childhood.

After a little more time in the ocean trying to catch waves which were too riverish to be caught (but I enjoyed it anyway) we cleaned ourselves of sand and salt and changed into regular clothes.
By the time we were done it was late enough for dinner.

We drove back to a more populated area and found a fish and chips shop.
While we waited for our order, some family members went to a nearby supermarket for salad and tubs of ice-cream.

We ate at tables outside the shop, under large square umbrellas.
The fried freshly-caught fish were really good!

It was a really interesting atmosphere: not dark yet, and with a thunderstorm moving closer, with many flashes of lightning.
After a much closer lightning strike I knew the rain would hit soon, which it did.

We quickly fled back into the shop from the heavy rain, with the few remaining uneaten chips and the icecream tubs.
We were prepared for icecream consumption, having brought our own mugs and spoons, which we call the "ice-cream kit".

Once we were done enjoying the food we returned to our vehicle, looking in some interesting stores on the way.
Fortunately the rain had desisted.

The thunderstorm followed us all the way home.
It was really quite impressive and a little scary sometimes.

My mum suggested I think of and share memories from each year of my life.
It was a great idea and much storytelling ensued, though I only did up to age 11.

When we got home I decided to grab the first shower.
Just when I had finished rinsing my hair, the huge thunderstorm knocked out the power.

The power was out for nearly 11 hours.
Fortunately we have a petrol powered generated which we can use to run the essentials.

All in all it was a very molpish and memorable dip.
And I mean 'dip' both OTTishly and literally :P
lmjb1964 wrote:Oh dear, I have been terribly bad at following my own decree. I've been spending too much time playing hot dogs.
Same.
lmjb1964 wrote:Now to those creative brothers. I enjoyed the thing that StormAngel made. I wasn't familiar with the original song either, but both versions were treeish. And ED, I read the chapter you posted. It's really steakish, and I am eagerly Waiting for It to read more. So many enticing clues about what is going on in that world. There were some typos, some of which may have already been mentioned by others. I had copied the story to a Word file and marked the typos, but now I can't find that file. :( I'll have to read the story again. :) One thing I did want to mention is that I think you often use "which" when "that" would be more appropriate. Eagerly waiting for the next installment!
Neat, I'll let him know. Or I'll forget to because he's off occupied with some hotdog.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have a look at my which/that usage.
I've already made a fair number of edits to those chapters already :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:13 pm UTC

Now I really want to assemble my own ice cream kit, in case of emergency ice cream.

Today, in my house, it is Christmas Eve. Because it is. TGW and her favorite people are on their way, and tomorrow we will open presents, and have Christmas dinner and play games. Sunday we'll go to GHWFP's FFS* and attempt to escape. (Because last time we went there the room went Zanclean just before we were to start, so we couldn't do that one.)

My hunt for a new WFFS continues, not entirely molpishly. I do have an official *nd date at my current WFFS. And one coworker has already arranged a new FFS, so her date is sooner than the rest of us. (Seems to be a good thing for her, at least.)

*In her case it seems to be a Fun Funding Source.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

rl24free

Postby rl24free » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:01 pm UTC

[quote="rhomboidal"]

Title Text: Wait for it.

I have no patience for entropy.

[The eternal journey continues even after the end of Time, since it seems like the essential idea of this epic comic of comics is that while time might appear to be a strictly linear phenomenon, its manifestation as life is actually a profoundly open, richly holistic, poly-temporal inter-creative experience with as many entry points, narratives, and interpretations as there are participants in it. The ever-flowing moment of the present is in fact a portal to all times -- a mysterious window which invites us to simultaneously invent the world as we explore it. While we personally might have different beginnings, adventures, and inevitable endings, together our searching individual journeys map the living landscape of our boundless humanity and reality.

Also, castle silhouettes look crazy cool. (And I wonder what thermodynamics says about Time having a sequel...?)

I don't understand it properly, I've been looking for hours but there's nothing happening in the photo.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:51 pm UTC

rl24free wrote:I don't understand it properly, I've been looking for hours but there's nothing happening in the photo.
It's because of timey-wimey stuff.

First, welcome! You have entered a community of molpishness; do stay a while and join in! Shortly there will be somemolpy or other to grant you the title of Revealer the Recent, with all the rights and appurtenances appurtaining thereto.

When this comic was first posted, there was javascript ("did you notice the javascript") which would update the image every newpix (half-hour, later every hour, if I may speak heresy for a moment); the change was slight but definitely there, and if you followed along you'd see that Time was a kind of full length movie delivered one frame at a time. Many moons have passed since then, but there are still ways to experience Time. One is to use one of the many viewers (such as the Holy Book of mscha); you can go as fast as you like, or linger a half hour on each frame for a better sense of it. But to truly appreciate this new world, you could also blitz the thread; that is, read all the messages therein. Each frame is posted, and it will probably take you as long to read the commentary as it took in real time to wait for the next frame. Not knowing what's coming, and reading the commentary of others who also don't know what's coming, is probably the closest we can get now to appreciating Time it its own time.

There's a wiki, religions, hotdogs, a lexicon, all sorts of stuff.

Dive in, be molpish, and if I may say it, "Smopu hvala nuvi dict amuah!"

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”