Preferred Clothing Brands

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Fat Tony

Preferred Clothing Brands

Postby Fat Tony » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

Pants are great. I love them. Shorts are horrible.
Does anyone know a particular brand of black jeans that don't turn gray in a week?
PS: Pants -- D=
PPS: You guys can all talk about your preferred clothing brands here and why you like them.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Re: Preferred Clothing Brands

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:26 pm UTC

I buy a lot of Land's End and L.L. Bean because, when they feel the need to actually print a logo on their clothing, they keep it unobtrusive.

Personally, I just don't like wearing witty or overly flashy clothing printed with real or faked (usually a sexual innuendo) brand-names all over.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

Denver Hayes T-shirts also have no outer label.

Unless I am wearing a coat, I will have a blank colored T-shirt and blue jeans (any brand).

Malsies

Postby Malsies » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

I really don't pay much attention to clothing brands. I shop almost exclusively at local thrift stores (the exception being Target for their long tank tops). I buy a lot of skirts and dresses in horrible floral prints.
I slice, I dice, and I fit comfortably into your pocket or glove-box!

(Order in the next ten minutes, and get a second for FREE!)

peter

Postby peter » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:32 am UTC

Banana Republic, if I want something without a logo. I especially enjoy their greyish jeans and t-shirts.

Tommy Hilfiger or Calvin Klein for other stuff.

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:02 am UTC

Most of my pants come from New York and Co., simply because I know what size I am there. There was a discussion in the Woman Thread, I believe, of how there's really no set rule for ladies' sized clothing -- depending on cut and brand, I can squeeze my ass into anything ranging from a size 6 to a size 10. They're all the same size pants if you put them on top of each other, but damned if the sizing charts are going to make things easy on us.

I have a lot of sweaters and blouses from NY&CO as well. They look nice, are decently priced, I can pick them up at the same place as my pants, and I know what size I am so I don't take four damn hours shopping and trying to figure out whether that medium is just an extra-small in disguise. I don't really have much pattern in terms of T-shirts, they come from everywhere.

Masterwabbit

Postby Masterwabbit » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:04 am UTC

T-shirt, XL. Blue jeans, so long as they ain't baggy. Could care less about (most) anything else.
My Webcomic: Jay and Olivia.

"The only thing I know is that I don't know anything" -Socrates

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:05 am UTC

Threadless. No more.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:08 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:Threadless. No more.

So no pants? You must be fun at parties :)
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:22 am UTC

Flying Betty wrote:
cypherspace wrote:Threadless. No more.

So no pants? You must be fun at parties :)

Oh I am, but not necessarily due to lack of pants.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Aperfectring

Postby Aperfectring » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:24 am UTC

What? You can buy clothes at stores instead of making them? DAMN.

Anyways, I tend to just buy whatever is on sale where I happen to stumble in the door.
Odds are I did well on my probability exam.

Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing

Postby Number3Pencils » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:27 am UTC

Malsies wrote:I really don't pay much attention to clothing brands. I shop almost exclusively at local thrift stores (the exception being Target for their long tank tops). I buy a lot of skirts and dresses in horrible floral prints.

Thrift stores are the only place to get the poor, left-behind clothes that nobody wanted and everybody made fun of. Sometime maybe I'll post some pictures here from my horrendous collection of plaids. Mmmmm... plaids.

I never cared about brands, until last Christmas I got a pair of Børn pants. Most comfortable pants I've ever, ever worn... I can almost forget I'm wearing them.
Spoiler:

aeki

Postby aeki » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:44 am UTC

I get pants from gap.com because they have tall sizes and I have a 36" inseam. I have looked for long jeans elsewhere, but they're mostly highly priced designer crap, although I think I might try a few of those anyway just for the variety.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:45 am UTC

CLOTHES HAVE BRANDS?!!?

That.. pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:01 am UTC

Only useful to those in Australia, but I find the generic Target jeans to be often sold for AU$20 and last as long as much more expensive pants. KMart I avoid, their quality is much lower. For 'better' clothes I find Man to Man has some good things.
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:14 am UTC

Black jeans are pretty much the only pants I own (along with a few pairs of black slacks). I usually wear Arizona jeans, they're cheap and they seem to keep their color for a while, though they do gray eventually.

My only constant criteria for clothes is that they're black and they fit me. Almost all the T-shirts I own are band shirts.

ParanoydAndroid

Postby ParanoydAndroid » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:27 am UTC

I'm quite obviously in the minority, but I shop at Hollister, Abercrombie and Fitch, American Eagle, and for shoes usually journey's or PacSun. Though, in my defense, I've worked for the first 3 companies, and still know lots of people there, and so I get employee discounts. Also, the right cut of Hollister/A&F jeans make a guy look a lot hotter.

-B
I may be an idiot sir, but one thing I am not, sir, is an idiot.

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:29 am UTC

Levi's... wash 'em in cold if you want them to stay black for a long time.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:29 pm UTC

Bruce wrote:Only useful to those in Australia, but I find the generic Target jeans to be often sold for AU$20 and last as long as much more expensive pants. KMart I avoid, their quality is much lower. For 'better' clothes I find Man to Man has some good things.

kmart and target is basically the extent of my clothes shopping. Target more so, but yeah.

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:52 pm UTC

I seem to be unusual among the geek crowd for this, but I love clothes, enjoy shopping for them and am happy enough to spend the money for something that looks good enough (I seem to remember mentioning my theory of the logarithmic relationship between price and aesthetics here before, actually).

That said, I still think that something with an obviously visible logo is just saying intended to make people say "look how rich and fashionable that person is" - there's little to no focus on the actual visual appeal of the clothing. I'd much prefer to be wearing something that elicits a simple reaction of "wow, that looks great". I'm not particularly brand-loyal, I tend to go through my usual set of shops/websites when I'm looking for a particular item (new shirt to go out in, jacket, whatever) until I find exactly what I'm looking for.
Last edited by MoonBuggy on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

wery67564

Postby wery67564 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

err..I wish uniforms came in brands...

"Yes I'll take the pink one with the lace on the cuffs thank you very much."
To exist is to resist.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:05 pm UTC

MoonBuggy wrote:I seem to be unusual among the geek crowd for this, but I love clothes, enjoy shopping for them and am happy enough to spend the money for something that looks good enough.

You are not alone, though I have only recently moved in this direction. I am certain that student financial situations played a bit part in this. I also if anything avoid the 'popular' labels and things which are supposedly in fashion, which is typically not to my tastes. I have noticed however that despite this now that I have stepped up the quality of my attire I do get compliments from people on my taste in clothes (generally not the geeks, they do not care).
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

I usually just shop at Old Navy since their stuff tends to be of decent quality at a decent price and I can get a solid t-shirt that's not covered in logos or whatever.

I'm still trying to find somewhere I can get decent baseball shirts with 3/4 sleeves, though.

For shoes I just go with wherever I can get a pair I like for the cheapest. Unfortunately, that's usually the internet, but I still have to go to a store to actually try them on since my shoe size seems to vary by as much as a whole size (average around US 12) depending on company and even shoe model within a specific company.

lamarguerite

Postby lamarguerite » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

I have heard, for jeans, they keep their color better if you turn them inside out to wash them. Also cold water, which has already been mentioned.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

I don't really have a 'brand' I appreciate, more like cheap-ass high street stores I frequent. H&M, Peacocks, Zara and (when I'm not skint)Topshop, Monsoon and Oasis. Shopping is a pleasurable thing.

Malsies wrote:I really don't pay much attention to clothing brands. I shop almost exclusively at local thrift stores (the exception being Target for their long tank tops). I buy a lot of skirts and dresses in horrible floral prints.

Thrift stores/charity shops rule. It's all about how damn determined you are to rummage. However, special vintage shops who overcharge for the nicer items, do not rule.
i dare you to take me on...

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

I am also a fan of nice clothing. I don't think I've bought clothing from Kmart or Target or whatever in *years* Right now I'm amused because I'm wearing an US$80 pair of tweed pants from Express and a Lacoste shirt (which I am slightly embarassed of the expenditure), and a pashmina scarf from India. I hate logos as well, however, and like them to be as invisible as possible. I'm of the school of thought of Jackie O. I try to keep my clothes classic and timeless. I don't like fads at all, and never got into the stupid tiny leggings and huge shirts thing. Or the huge gaucho pants and the tight shirts thing a year or so ago. I thought they were pretty silly, and I'd rather wear things that I think are cute, not what other people have decided that were cute.

If a someone is dressed poorly, you notice the clothes. If someone is dressed well, you notice the person, which is really my goal.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:07 pm UTC

There's a store at the Bangor Mall here [not sure if it's a nation-wide brand] called Charlotte Russe that I love. The clothes are exactly my style, and some of the stuff looks pricy but it's all INSANELY INEXPENSIVE!

[I'm kind of a cheap shopper...I won't pay more then 25 dollars for a shirt, and it better be a good one.]
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:09 pm UTC

I have an $80 scarf with Space Invaders on it I imported from Europe. Man. It's not even really long enough. It's a cool scarf, though. 8)

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:34 pm UTC

Banana Republic for work. Eddie Bauer for casual. Levis for jeans.

The older I get, the more I spend on clothes and think it a reasonable expense.

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

I buy most of my clothing used with quality as the only consideration.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

for regular clothing i like no name brand or no logos. i guess im antifashion. but i like adidas superstar2's and doc martin boots or acsics running shoes or merrel hiking boots.

Ended

Postby Ended » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:59 pm UTC

I really, really want one of these.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

ParanoydAndroid

Postby ParanoydAndroid » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:16 am UTC

They're opening a Nordstrom near where I live (finally), and my bf just got hired by them. Needless to say, I'm incredibly excited for the discount (I originally typed dickount ... wow).
I'm wrapped entirely within a culture that worships superficial looks and good-looking expensive clothing, and god help me I love it.

-B
I may be an idiot sir, but one thing I am not, sir, is an idiot.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

I've found that Wrangler doesn't fade as quickly as other brands may. They seem to last a good while too.

I think most of my clothes are Faded Glory or Puritan, both brands found only at Wal-Mart. I've bought clothes at thrift stores before, but haven't had much luck with them. I've also bought clothes at Old Navy, and they've actually worn out on me quicker than anything bought at Wal-Mart or elsewhere.

When my finances are in a bit better shape, I may go to Target and see what they've got. I've always had good luck with their clothes. I might even go to Men's Wearhouse for some casual wear.
PRG

An important message for you:

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

Kineticka wrote:Most of my pants come from New York and Co., simply because I know what size I am there. There was a discussion in the Woman Thread, I believe, of how there's really no set rule for ladies' sized clothing -- depending on cut and brand, I can squeeze my ass into anything ranging from a size 6 to a size 10. They're all the same size pants if you put them on top of each other, but damned if the sizing charts are going to make things easy on us.

I have a lot of sweaters and blouses from NY&CO as well. They look nice, are decently priced, I can pick them up at the same place as my pants, and I know what size I am so I don't take four damn hours shopping and trying to figure out whether that medium is just an extra-small in disguise. I don't really have much pattern in terms of T-shirts, they come from everywhere.

Pssssst. The more expensive the jeans, the lower the number is they print on them.

I've said too much.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:09 pm UTC

peter wrote:Banana Republic, if I want something without a logo. I especially enjoy their greyish jeans and t-shirts.

Tommy Hilfiger or Calvin Klein for other stuff.

I've said i'll start shopping at Banana Republic when the sales team starts wearing banana costumes. It hasnt happened yet, and i own nothing from their store.

I dont go ga-ga over any particular brand. Lately I've found F.A.N.G. things that are pretty cute. my one designer exception is Jessica McClintock. The dresses are gorgeous and now they've started a "victorian" line and it looks VERY promising. It just SO DAMN expensive. :cry:

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

I'm not too fussy. I primarily buy things because they A) look good on me B) are solid colors without logos in cuts and colors that flatter me C) are on sale/inexpensive. I also tend to go for natural fibers as opposed to synthetic, at least 75% of the time. I like Old Navy and Levis jeans, because I know what size and cut I am without having to try things on. I'm a bit fussy about shoes. I think from now on I'm not going to buy anything except Doc Martens unless they're dress shoes.
Last edited by PictureSarah on Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

EpeeGnome

Postby EpeeGnome » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

I have a somewhat odd take on clothing. I want all of my regular use cloths to match, be sturdy, and look good. I want them all to match because I don't bother picking out cloths in the morning, I just grab whatever's in front. I want them all to be sturdy because I'm hard on cloths. (Despite being nearly 24, I still do things like climb trees whenever the opportunity arises.) And of course I like them to look good, because who doesn't like to look good?

Getting this wardrobe together hasn't been easy, but I think I've almost succeeded. I wear dark earthy plaid flannel shirts and corduroys when it's cold, and Columbia Sports Guide pants and loose light earthy plaid button down shirts in the heat. The only brand specific cloths I wear are the Guide pants, and thats because I know in advance they are sturdy, a good cut, and I know my exact size in them. My other cloths, I buy wherever. I always have to wear a belt, because I buy my pants slightly too big. I do that because this allows me complete leg flexibility in them. I can climb or go to fencing practice or whatever with out changing my pants, and I love it.
Also I really want a pair of these.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

"Britches" and "Dakota"

I have a Britches jacket, about seven shirts, two pairs of pants, and several sets of underwear. The rest of my wardrobe is mostly Dakota. Why do I like these brands? I'll tell you... these brands assume that just because a person is tall, and heavy, does NOT necessarily make them completely f***ing spherical. 99% of the pants out there with my inseam / waist requirement have pantlegs SO BIG I can get BOTH legs into them, because of course ANYONE who has an inseam that long and a waist that big has to have legs the size of f***ing beanbags, right? WRONG!! My legs are very proportional for my height, and Dakota jeans actually FIT. Same with Britches.... a 2XXT shirt from Britches does not have thirty extra cubic feet of interior space... it's just a really long shirt.

Whew.... typing makes me out of breath...

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

I tend to wear Gap jeans, Dockers slacks, Sketchers shoes, with some Eddie Bauer, L.L. Bean, Polo, Nautica mixed in. Old Navy had a bunch of plain t-shirts on clearance for $1.99 once, so I bought a ton of them for undershirts. I still have a lot of Hanes/Fruit of the Loom undershirts and boxers, but as I retire them, I'll replace them with higher quality stuff that is more comfortable to me.

Return to “General”