Trump presidency

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Re: Trump presidency

Postby ObsessoMom » Wed May 29, 2019 11:57 pm UTC

Robert Mueller in his first and last press conference on his Special Counsel Report wrote:If we had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that...A president cannot be charged with a federal crime while he is in office. That is unconstitutional. Even if the charge is kept under seal and hidden from public view–that too is prohibited...Charging the president with a crime was therefore not an option we could consider...The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing...It would be unfair to potentially accuse somebody of a crime when there can be no court resolution of an actual charge.
(Full 9:30 video of press conference here)

Donald Trump wrote:Nothing changes from the Mueller Report. There was insufficient evidence and therefore, in our Country, a person is innocent. The case is closed! Thank you.
(Tweet here)

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Trump presidency

Postby addams » Thu May 30, 2019 1:04 am UTC

If we had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.


I was struck with his parting statement.
(paraphrased)
The military of a foreign government actively interfered with the U.S. election in favor of Donald Trump and against Mrs. Clinton.
Every American should be concerned about That.


Besides; Cheeto Man is a damn embarrassment when we fly him around the world First Class.
He goes First Class; He behaves Low Class. (what a creep. what a creep. creep. creep. creep.)
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5941
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Angua » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:40 pm UTC

Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Trump presidency

Postby addams » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:36 pm UTC

ech...
Darn...What's wrong with me?

At first blush...well...Kind of like China's Social Scoring;
I've seen Chinese people shrug it off.

People will not be able to have a childhood online.
I'm sure there is something Wrong with it.

I'm just not sure What.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

duodecimus
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 12:25 pm UTC

Re: Trump presidency

Postby duodecimus » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:00 am UTC

Maybe if all civil servants are also required to.

I mean, the bar to lead the people obviously must be higher than the bar to BE a people, right?

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8570
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Zohar » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:08 pm UTC

I want to emphasize this was already an existing regulation for suspicious people. The difference is the government decided everyone is suspicious, and thus all fall under this regulation.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Chen
Posts: 5580
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Chen » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:58 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:I want to emphasize this was already an existing regulation for suspicious people. The difference is the government decided everyone is suspicious, and thus all fall under this regulation.


Wonder if that's to combat any discrimination claims of the original regulations. If EVERYONE needs to do it, its not discriminatory, just invasive. But seems like the government has a lot of leeway in how invasive they can be for visas.

Pretty shitty overall. Does it apply to visitor visas as well? I mean that would drive me to simply not visit if so (if I weren't from Canada who doesn't need a visa to visit)

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8570
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Zohar » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:23 pm UTC

Yep, all visas. I doubt they're doing it to be less discriminatory...
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5941
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Angua » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:27 pm UTC

It also applies to people flying through the US in transit most likely, so it's good that people are aware before booking flights. Even if you're not going to the US then you may get caught out.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
sardia
Posts: 6813
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:39 am UTC

Re: Trump presidency

Postby sardia » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:57 pm UTC

Can't you just claim no social media? How would they know otherwise?

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6598
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Thesh » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:10 pm UTC

If they decide to look into you for any reason, they might be able to charge you with perjury if they find out.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Trump presidency

Postby addams » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:19 pm UTC

ech...
They have been taking ALL electronics for years and years.
They went through all my camera photos and computer memory.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Mutex
Posts: 1492
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Mutex » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:01 pm UTC

I knew someone who was booked to play a music gig in the US, organised it with the organiser via FB messages and he paid her over email. When she got to US customs, she was taken into a room and asked why she was visiting the states. They showed her her FB messages and emails, asking for an explanation, since she didn't have a visa to perform. Eventually the woman let her in out of kindness. But it was shocking how easily they found her Facebook page and email account, and could get access to them, just for someone they suspected of not having the right visa.

So yeah, I wouldn't try just not giving them your social media, unless you scrupulously keep it anonymous and not linked to anyone like family.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5482
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:08 pm UTC

What if you actually, legitimately don't have any social media accounts?

Or what if you had some that you barely used ages and ages ago and now have no memory of passwords etc? The only social media I've ever had was a MySpace page someone else made for me over a decade ago, and a Twitter account I set up maybe half a decade ago just to message someone who had a Twitter account under my very unique username to ask them why it was they were using that username, and haven't touched since.

Oh and maybe when Friendster was brand new I signed up for it, decided it was useless, and never did anything with it.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Trump presidency

Postby addams » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:14 pm UTC

They will 'know' Pfhorrest.
They will 'know'.

Yes, Mutex.
It's an odd experience to have a stranger in a sterile public place rummaging through your underwear drawer.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5482
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:20 pm UTC

They would know that I had no current social media accounts? So that's a good thing for me because it's true.

I mean, not that I would need a US visa, being a citizen and all, but it's a good thing for a foreigner in the same social media situation as me.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7604
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Zamfir » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:41 pm UTC

There's this weird American tradition where they take out loans and repay them, to build a credit score. I suppose you could do the same with Facebook?

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Quercus » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:51 pm UTC

I think I might have forgotten entirely about some social media accounts I've made and used in the past five years - I think there's at least one Twitter account I used briefly for career purposes I can't even remember the username of. Reddit throwaway accounts too - I think I still have them in my password manager, but lots of people won't. Wonder how they handle that situation.

Mutex
Posts: 1492
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Mutex » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:05 pm UTC

I assume they'd mostly only care about accounts you're actively using, there must be guidelines published somewhere? Or will be anyway.

User avatar
sardia
Posts: 6813
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:39 am UTC

Re: Trump presidency

Postby sardia » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:49 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:I assume they'd mostly only care about accounts you're actively using, there must be guidelines published somewhere? Or will be anyway.

Probably depend on how brown you are.

User avatar
ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Re: Trump presidency

Postby ObsessoMom » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:42 pm UTC

Been wondering what Mitch McConnell's wife (a.k.a. Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao) has been up to while bipartisan infrastructure legislation is still going nowhere? She has apparently been busy using her position to help her father's shipping company.

Elaine Chao weirdly connects Trump's White House, China's government, shipping, and Mitch McConnell

The former director of the Office of Government Ethics, Walter Shaub, saw this kind of crap coming two years ago. Remember him?

Ethics Office Director Walter Shaub Resigns, Saying Rules Need To Be Tougher (July 2017)

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Trump presidency

Postby addams » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:16 pm UTC

Walter Shaub...?
Yes!
Yes! Remember him!

well...Not until I looked at his photo.
He resigned because there were SO! Many Ethics Violations.

Maybe, Congress can call him in during the next year or so.
He did his job quietly and well...Then...umm...(crap...)
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

iamspen
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 2:23 pm UTC

Re: Trump presidency

Postby iamspen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:13 am UTC

While it's concerning how invasive these requests are, I suspect the real reason these regulations were put into place is because they're onerous, and looking into everyone's social media history will be a really effective way of gumming up the works and creating a brand-new excuse for not being able to actually issue visas without significant delay.

In other words, they're reducing (e)(im)migration by slowing the whole process down for everyone.

gd1
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:42 am UTC

Re: Trump presidency

Postby gd1 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:42 am UTC

I should never have posted the videos on my facebook of cheating in bejewelled blitz using cheat engine...

No wait, I take that back, it was worth it.

It was worth it.

In one case I slowed the clock to 1/10th speed so 60 seconds was more like 600 seconds. (2m+ score)

In another case I stopped the clock. But it didn't keep that score for too long (it was only like 10m+ or something).

Note: I haven't used Fraichebook Facebook in years since.
Last edited by gd1 on Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 2150
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Sableagle » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:55 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I mean, not that I would need a US visa, being a citizen and all, ...
Somebody, somewhere in Washington, D.C., is already working on ways to extend this "screening" thing to you, too, if you go on holiday somewhere they don't like.

You know, somewhere with a national health service or any of those other commie ideas.
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

User avatar
The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am UTC
Location: behind you

Re: Trump presidency

Postby The Great Hippo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:13 am UTC

iamspen wrote:While it's concerning how invasive these requests are, I suspect the real reason these regulations were put into place is because they're onerous, and looking into everyone's social media history will be a really effective way of gumming up the works and creating a brand-new excuse for not being able to actually issue visas without significant delay.

In other words, they're reducing (e)(im)migration by slowing the whole process down for everyone.
Either that, or it becomes even more ridiculously easy to invalidate someone's visa (I just have to track down that one Facebook account you made a decade ago and forgot to report).

Or, I mean -- it could be both.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5482
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:31 am UTC

Sableagle wrote:You know, somewhere with a national health service or any of those other commie ideas.

So, any other developed country?

And of course undeveloped countries are all dens of terrorism.

So, any other country.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

iamspen
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 2:23 pm UTC

Re: Trump presidency

Postby iamspen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:01 am UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:Or, I mean -- it could be both.


Somewhere on the private server Stephen Miller uses for work, there's an e-mail thread entitled, "How to keep the sand ni**ers and beaners out."

gd1
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:42 am UTC

Re: Trump presidency

Postby gd1 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:36 am UTC

iamspen wrote:
The Great Hippo wrote:Or, I mean -- it could be both.


Somewhere on the private server Stephen Miller uses for work, there's an e-mail thread entitled, "How to keep the sand ni**ers and beaners out."


An attempt towards compliance with equal opportunity.
There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3103
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: Trump presidency

Postby orthogon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:54 am UTC

I did a US ESTA application recently: there was a box to submit my social media details, but in that case it was optional. I guess the full visa application is stricter, or maybe the procedure has changed. Anyway, the ESTA was approved, in spite of photos on FB of me at the anti-Trump demo in London. (Though that's not to say that I won't get the full cavity search at JFK...)
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Chen
Posts: 5580
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Chen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:50 am UTC

Zohar wrote:Yep, all visas. I doubt they're doing it to be less discriminatory...


Dont get me wrong, I didnt mean non-discriminatory because they’re against discrminating. More so that any lawsuits based on discrimination against this fail.

User avatar
ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Re: Trump presidency

Postby ObsessoMom » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:53 pm UTC

Trump found religion last Sunday, sorta.

From Lisa Lehrer's "On Politics" feature in the New York Times. (The original article has lots of embedded links that I won't duplicate in my spoilered snippet.)

Trump's Day of Prayer

Spoiler:
Lisa Lerer of the New York Times wrote:President Trump isn’t much of a churchgoer. During his time in the White House, his church visits have largely been limited to Christmas and Easter services. When asked for his favorite Bible verse during the 2016 presidential campaign, he replied that he “didn’t want to get into specifics.” He has a habit of autographing Bibles at campaign stops.

But Sunday was different. Surprising reporters and pastors, Mr. Trump decided to pop in for a 15-minute stop at McLean Bible Church in Northern Virginia after a round of golf that afternoon. The timing was unusual — most churches conduct Sunday services in the morning — and so was his look, which consisted of golf shoes, a baseball hat and a new slicked-back hairstyle that nabbed most of the headlines.

Aides said the president made the stop to pray for the victims of the Virginia Beach shooting. But Elizabeth Dias, The New York Times’s ace national religion correspondent, alerted me to something else that was going on.

About a week ago, the evangelical leader Franklin Graham, along with several hundred Christian leaders, called for this past Sunday to be a “special day of prayer” for Mr. Trump. Vice President Mike Pence participated at Sanibel Community Church. So did the Rev. David Platt at McLean Bible Church, who said he was given barely any notice of the president’s visit — and suspected it would divide his congregation.

“Sometimes we find ourselves in situations that we didn’t see coming, and we’re faced with a decision in a moment when we don’t have the liberty of deliberation, so we do our best to glorify God,” he said in a statement on the church’s website. “Today, I found myself in one of those situations.”

The victims of the shooting, and even the shooting itself, went unmentioned during the visit.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Trump presidency

Postby addams » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:08 pm UTC

Is that one of those Private Jet Televangelists?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Re: Trump presidency

Postby ObsessoMom » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:14 pm UTC

No, Rev. David Platt hadn't even signed on to the National Day of Prayer. I think Trump just assumed that any church would do for his spur-of-the-moment photo op.

From Slate:

Pastor David Platt Prayed for Trump While Trying Super Hard Not to Sound Like a Trump Supporter

Snippets:

Spoiler:
Platt alluded to Graham’s day of prayer in introducing the president. But he had not publicly signed on to participate in the day, and his prayer did not conform to its nationalistic spirit. If Trump wanted to make an appearance with a pastor who would lavish him with praise and edge up to endorsing him, 40-year-old Platt was an odd choice. As an author, Platt is best known for the 2010 book Radical: Taking Back Your Faith From the American Dream, which, if not exactly radical by most standards, does question the materialism of mainstream American culture. “I wonder if followers of Christ 150 years from now will look back at Christians in America today and ask, ‘How could they live in such big houses? How could they drive such nice cars and wear such nice clothes?’ ” he wrote. “How could they go on with their lives as though the billions of poor didn’t even exist?” David Brooks wrote approvingly of the book in 2010, identifying Platt as a key figure in the cultural recalibration away from wealth-obsessed pre-Recession values—what we might now call “Trump values.” Last year, Platt preached about the perils of nationalism on Fourth of July weekend.

Politically, Platt’s entire ministry has been as assiduously nonpartisan as his prayer on Sunday was. Former White House staffer Cliff Sims wrote in Team of Vipers, his recent book about his tenure in the Trump administration, that Sims had wanted to invite Platt to deliver the keynote speech at a White House prayer breakfast. According to Sims, pastor Paula White, a Trump ally, rejected the suggestion because Platt “believes the American dream is evil.” Sims later told Christianity Today that Platt himself had felt conflicted too because of the baggage that comes with being seen as a political pastor.

As critics pointed out, Platt may not have praised Trump this past weekend, but he did invite him onstage. “The prayer was very nonpartisan and very inclusive, but at the same time, there’s an image of this pastor with a positive expression on his face laying a hand on Donald Trump and the other hand holding up a Bible, and Trump has his head bowed,” Dan Nejfelt, who works for a national network of progressive faith leaders, told me. “That image conveys Trump is a Christian and a normal leader that Christians can get behind.” Photographs of Platt praying for Trump have already been used to illustrated approving coverage by Breitbart, the Christian Post, and the Christian Broadcasting Network, among others.

In his letter to parishioners, Platt wrote that his “aim was in no way to endorse the president, his policies, or his party.” Referring to a New Testament passage about the importance of praying for everyone, including “kings and all who are in high positions,” Platt wrote about his struggle:

"I know that some within our church, for a variety of valid reasons, are hurt that I made this decision. This weighs heavy on my heart. I love every member of this church, and I only want to lead us with God’s Word in a way that transcends political party and position, heals the hurts of racial division and injustice, and honors every man and woman made in the image of God. … I’m guessing that all of us will face other decisions this week where we don’t have time to deliberate on what to do. I’m praying now for grace and wisdom for all of us to do exactly what we talked about in the Word today: aim for God’s glory, align with God’s purpose, and yield to God’s sovereignty."

gd1
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:42 am UTC

Re: Trump presidency

Postby gd1 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:22 pm UTC

addams wrote:Is that one of those Private Jet Televangelists?


That reminded me of this:
Spoiler:
Image


Also, I had been thinking about how some people say "orange man bad" and "how is Trump such a bad person, name one thing, he's protecting us... etc. etc."

I would initially reply: Trump University.

[A YouTube clip by John Oliver, host of the HBO show last week tonight which evaluates a variety of issues and sheds light on them, about Trump University]
There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5482
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:36 pm UTC

I never really did understand that "orange man bad" meme. I mean... yes, rando altright troll, the orange man is bad, which is what the person you're responding to was just saying, probably much more eloquently. Do you have a point? I was going to compare it to the idea of liberals responding to conservative critiques of Obama with "black man bad", but then in that context it sounds like they're implying the conservatives don't like Obama because he's black (which is probably often true), whereas I don't think (at least I hope not) that anyone thinks anyone dislikes Trump just because of his bad spray tan.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6598
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Thesh » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:40 pm UTC

Isn't that where it comes from? "See! We're not racist, you're racist!"
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

gd1
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:42 am UTC

Re: Trump presidency

Postby gd1 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:49 pm UTC

Editorial Note: I don't dislike bad spray tan. Some of my best friends are bad spray tan.
There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Trump presidency

Postby addams » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:06 am UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:No, Rev. David Platt hadn't even signed on to the National Day of Prayer. I think Trump just assumed that any church would do for his spur-of-the-moment photo op.

From Slate:

Pastor David Platt Prayed for Trump While Trying Super Hard Not to Sound Like a Trump Supporter

Snippets:

Spoiler:
Platt alluded to Graham’s day of prayer in introducing the president. But he had not publicly signed on to participate in the day, and his prayer did not conform to its nationalistic spirit. If Trump wanted to make an appearance with a pastor who would lavish him with praise and edge up to endorsing him, 40-year-old Platt was an odd choice. As an author, Platt is best known for the 2010 book Radical: Taking Back Your Faith From the American Dream, which, if not exactly radical by most standards, does question the materialism of mainstream American culture. “I wonder if followers of Christ 150 years from now will look back at Christians in America today and ask, ‘How could they live in such big houses? How could they drive such nice cars and wear such nice clothes?’ ” he wrote. “How could they go on with their lives as though the billions of poor didn’t even exist?” David Brooks wrote approvingly of the book in 2010, identifying Platt as a key figure in the cultural recalibration away from wealth-obsessed pre-Recession values—what we might now call “Trump values.” Last year, Platt preached about the perils of nationalism on Fourth of July weekend.

Politically, Platt’s entire ministry has been as assiduously nonpartisan as his prayer on Sunday was. Former White House staffer Cliff Sims wrote in Team of Vipers, his recent book about his tenure in the Trump administration, that Sims had wanted to invite Platt to deliver the keynote speech at a White House prayer breakfast. According to Sims, pastor Paula White, a Trump ally, rejected the suggestion because Platt “believes the American dream is evil.” Sims later told Christianity Today that Platt himself had felt conflicted too because of the baggage that comes with being seen as a political pastor.

As critics pointed out, Platt may not have praised Trump this past weekend, but he did invite him onstage. “The prayer was very nonpartisan and very inclusive, but at the same time, there’s an image of this pastor with a positive expression on his face laying a hand on Donald Trump and the other hand holding up a Bible, and Trump has his head bowed,” Dan Nejfelt, who works for a national network of progressive faith leaders, told me. “That image conveys Trump is a Christian and a normal leader that Christians can get behind.” Photographs of Platt praying for Trump have already been used to illustrated approving coverage by Breitbart, the Christian Post, and the Christian Broadcasting Network, among others.

In his letter to parishioners, Platt wrote that his “aim was in no way to endorse the president, his policies, or his party.” Referring to a New Testament passage about the importance of praying for everyone, including “kings and all who are in high positions,” Platt wrote about his struggle:

"I know that some within our church, for a variety of valid reasons, are hurt that I made this decision. This weighs heavy on my heart. I love every member of this church, and I only want to lead us with God’s Word in a way that transcends political party and position, heals the hurts of racial division and injustice, and honors every man and woman made in the image of God. … I’m guessing that all of us will face other decisions this week where we don’t have time to deliberate on what to do. I’m praying now for grace and wisdom for all of us to do exactly what we talked about in the Word today: aim for God’s glory, align with God’s purpose, and yield to God’s sovereignty."
Oh...
That poor man.
I’m guessing that all of us will face other decisions this week where we don’t have time to deliberate on what to do.
He was Ambushed for a photo op by a very dishonest man.
(sigh..) ...Poor Rev. Platt.
My heart goes out to him.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am UTC
Location: behind you

Re: Trump presidency

Postby The Great Hippo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:19 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I never really did understand that "orange man bad" meme. I mean... yes, rando altright troll, the orange man is bad, which is what the person you're responding to was just saying, probably much more eloquently. Do you have a point? I was going to compare it to the idea of liberals responding to conservative critiques of Obama with "black man bad", but then in that context it sounds like they're implying the conservatives don't like Obama because he's black (which is probably often true), whereas I don't think (at least I hope not) that anyone thinks anyone dislikes Trump just because of his bad spray tan.
One of the ironies of the whole "NPC meme" thing is that using something like the "NPC meme" to dismiss criticism is precisely the sort of mindless regurgitation of shallow talking points that the "NPC meme" claims to satirize.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests