Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

New User

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Postby New User » Thu May 23, 2019 11:29 am UTC

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition is free on Steam right now.

New User

Postby New User » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:19 am UTC

Obduction is currently free on GOG.com.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:39 am UTC

So the Steam Summer Sale has a gimmick that is cooking up some interesting flavors of nerd rage. It's nice of them to try, I guess.
https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-grand-prix/

Brings back memories of the old game-specific achievement thingies from many years ago.

Considering the Epic Store is now giving away a game a week and that I already have a bazillion things to play I find it very easy to resist temptation. I made the error of buying Enter the Gungeon during the Lunar Sale, which was the giveaway two weeks ago – but I opted not to get Last Day of June, and that's free next, so there's a win.

New User

Postby New User » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:13 pm UTC

Age of Wonders III is currently free on Steam.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:55 pm UTC

Apparently certain Team Fortress 2 crates (supposedly series 1-18, 61, 82 and 85) are dropping 100% unusuals when opened, the steam market place is going crazy, effected crates are selling for between about 5-20 dollars while the market for unusuals is crashing and several TF2 trading sites/bot operators have suspended or curtailed operations. It's been going on for several hours now and no response yet from Valve.

The spike in crate prices seems to have peaked sometime around 2amCST this morning and things have slowed down now. Who knows what the effect on the unusual market is going to be long term.

At some point, I started making a conscious effort to keep hold of my low-numbered TF2 crates on the theory that eventually they could be worth *something* but by then I had already scrap-banked or bulk-sold most of them and only had a handful left to unload. Still, managed to fund myself for the next steam sale, and on a whim bought a key to open myself an unusual. Ended up getting one with a not-garbage effect too (Tyrantium Helm with Purple Energy), so it may actually be worth a bit when this is all over, assuming Valve doesn't revert people's inventories or anything like that. Or I could trade it for a similarly devalued unusual for my main class, Spy, even though I haven't actually played TF2 in years.

UPDATE: After shutting down the TF2 steam marketplace and trading for a few hours, seems like everything's back to normal and the unusuals opened from the glitched crates have been set untradeable/unmarketable while Valve figures out what to do with them with a final decision supposed to be announced after the weekend. Hopefully the hats will at least be tradeable without jumping through too many hoops so I can trade my Soldier hat for a nice Spy hat.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Ranbot

Postby Ranbot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:43 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:UPDATE: After shutting down the TF2 steam marketplace and trading for a few hours, seems like everything's back to normal and the unusuals opened from the glitched crates have been set untradeable/unmarketable while Valve figures out what to do with them with a final decision supposed to be announced after the weekend.

Personally, I think they should just let it all be. Presuming it was all a mistake, with no pre-meditation to harm or manipulate, and the issue is contained/controlled going forward, then just say "shit happens" and move on. I don't see any significant harm here (but maybe I'm missing something?) and the "fix" could be as bad or worse than the event. It wouldn't be the first time an item (real or virtual) suddenly became valuable because of an accident or side effect from a seemingly unrelated event. In this case, the worst thing that happened is some people made a little extra money on virtual products with no significant bearing in the real world. I don't say that to belittle the virtual goods and economies in Steam or other platforms... I find them fascinating.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:19 pm UTC

They actually came up with a pretty reasonable solution. The first hat each person obtained from a bugged crate will be tradable. The rest will remain untradable, but can be refunded for the full cost paid. They're even gonna restore deleted hats for people who were concerned about potential punishment for exploiting the bug, with the same restrictions as above.

They don't specify whether the tradable hats will also be marketable, but I should at least be able to trade my Soldier unusual for a Spy one.
Apparently, the hats being made tradable only represents a month's worth of the normal unusual drop rate, so if they're made sellable too, probably won't even end up effecting the market value that much.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:50 am UTC

The Zero Escape Trilogy is heckin' cheap at the moment. I totally overpaid for these games in the past. (Zero Time Dillema alone was selling for $40 as recently as March.) I've only played the first game so far and it's pretty darn nifty as visual novels/adventure games go. Danganronpa is supposed to be really good as well.
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2 ... e_Trilogy/
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/spike-chunsoft/

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:44 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:The Zero Escape Trilogy is heckin' cheap at the moment. I totally overpaid for these games in the past. (Zero Time Dillema alone was selling for $40 as recently as March.) I've only played the first game so far and it's pretty darn nifty as visual novels/adventure games go. Danganronpa is supposed to be really good as well.
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2 ... e_Trilogy/
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/spike-chunsoft/

The second game is my favourite; other people favour the first (particularly with the upgrades included in the Steam version like the flowchart meaning you don't need to replay the same parts of the game over and over). Most people found the third game disappointing - I'm not sure if its found its own fans since.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:04 am UTC

'Course, in the wake of this sale, it's only a matter of time until there's a "Humble Spike Chunsoft Bundle" combining everything for an even lower price.

Ranbot

Postby Ranbot » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:51 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:'Course, in the wake of this sale, it's only a matter of time until there's a "Humble Spike Chunsoft Bundle" combining everything for an even lower price.

But those extra clicks to get it registered to your Steam account are so hard...

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:51 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:The Zero Escape Trilogy

Is it aptly named? There seemed to be only two games when I looked it up.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:02 am UTC

Grop wrote:Is it aptly named? There seemed to be only two games when I looked it up.
One of those contains 2 games, so yes it's a trilogy.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:59 pm UTC

Grop wrote:
Jorpho wrote:The Zero Escape Trilogy

Is it aptly named? There seemed to be only two games when I looked it up.

The original versions of the first two games were released on DS and 3DS/Vita respectively. Following the eventual release of the third game on 3DS/Vita/PC, the first two games were remastered for PC release, but only released as an anthology.

Return to “Gaming”