2152: "Westerns"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Grop

2152: "Westerns"

Postby Grop » Mon May 20, 2019 8:10 am UTC

Title text: “Sitting here idly trying to figure out how the population of the Old West in the late 1800s compares to the number of Red Dead Redemption 2 players.

I can't help but think of films about ww2.

da Doctah

Re: 2152: "Westerns"

Postby da Doctah » Mon May 20, 2019 10:13 am UTC

Grop wrote:Image
Title text: “Sitting here idly trying to figure out how the population of the Old West in the late 1800s compares to the number of Red Dead Redemption 2 players.

I can't help but think of M*A*S*H.

billybobfred

Postby billybobfred » Mon May 20, 2019 12:57 pm UTC

Is "Western" really a genre, though? FFN and Fictionpress list it as one, which I've always found odd -- it feels more like a setting than a genre to me.
she/her/hers

solune

Postby solune » Mon May 20, 2019 1:26 pm UTC

Couldn't you say the same thing for Antiquity ? I'd say it goes from -500 to +200, so about 700 years.

Sitting here idly trying to figure out how the population of the Old West in the late 1800s compares to the number of Red Dead Redemption 2 players

I'm pretty sure the second number is bigger.

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Mon May 20, 2019 2:08 pm UTC

solune wrote:Couldn't you say the same thing for Antiquity ? I'd say it goes from -500 to +200, so about 700 years.

Sitting here idly trying to figure out how the population of the Old West in the late 1800s compares to the number of Red Dead Redemption 2 players

I'm pretty sure the second number is bigger.

I'm not sure just how much gets set then. I'd put "a bit before 2000BCE" as more significant. In a 200 year span you get both the Trojan War and presumably Moses and Exodus, although I'm not sure enough "fan fiction" has been written in the past 4000 years to compare with the 200:1 ratio, but it is pretty big.

I'd try to put as many of the famous Greek myths into that era, but I suspect that they predate it by a bit (although stuff like Theseus can't be more than a few centuries older).

Any major war gets it's share of literature. Randal Monroe has already pondered (I think in a "What If?") if the total amount of WWII films put back to back would equal the total time (at least from US declaration of war to Japan's surrender) of WWII.

The "medieval era" gets a bit compressed, especially when dealing with things like full armor and all the formal laws governing the vassal system. Don't expect to find even *any* historical period that has all the sword, armor, and lance technology (mostly armor) of a typical medieval story that doesn't have gunpowder. Gunpowder shows up a lot earlier than you'd expect if you grew up on those stories and a lot of the other tech didn't exist until cannons at least were common.

rhhardin

Postby rhhardin » Mon May 20, 2019 2:40 pm UTC

Thurber, explaining his love of French interpretations of Westerns

"It occured in a book in which, as I remember it, Billy the Kid, alias Billy the Boy, was the central figure. At any rate, two strangers had turned up in a small Western town and their actions had aroused the suspicions of a group of respectable citizens, who forthwith called on the sheriff to complain about the newcomers. The sheriff listened gravely for a while, got up and bucked on his gun belt, and said, "Alors, je vais demander ses cartes d'identité!" There are few things, in any literature, that have ever given me a greater thrill than coming across that line."

That was written in 1935.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Mon May 20, 2019 2:42 pm UTC

The Antebellum period is not part of the Wild West? The region was being heavily settled as early as 1840...

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon May 20, 2019 4:02 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:The Antebellum period is not part of the Wild West? The region was being heavily settled as early as 1840...

I wondered too... but the Gold Rush, the Oklahoma Sooners, the Golden Spike all occurred after 1860. FWIW
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon May 20, 2019 4:08 pm UTC

billybobfred wrote:Is "Western" really a genre, though? FFN and Fictionpress list it as one, which I've always found odd -- it feels more like a setting than a genre to me.
We'll one can think of the genre and setting separately, but the setting is a weird and distracting choice if you're not going for the themes of the genre.

You can have the themes without the setting, but features of the setting are rare in human history. Also, if you don't have the asthetics, it's hard to recognize the genre as you've basically changed everything superficial.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

DavidSh

Postby DavidSh » Mon May 20, 2019 4:18 pm UTC

The California Gold Rush was 1849, wasn't it though?

Though I can see how movie-makers might want to avoid the complications of the issue of slavery in the western territories.

hetas

Postby hetas » Mon May 20, 2019 4:44 pm UTC

It doesn't really feel weird, to be honest with you.

And I think the two time periods in the comic should probably overlap.

DavidSh

Postby DavidSh » Mon May 20, 2019 6:31 pm UTC

hetas wrote:And I think the two time periods in the comic should probably overlap.

Which period(s) were you thinking of expanding?
Video games I presume all postdate 1950.
The first western film is often asserted to be "The Great Train Robbery", a ~12 minute silent film from 1903.
Western books may predate 1900, although I can't think of any examples.

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Mon May 20, 2019 6:51 pm UTC

hetas wrote:And I think the two time periods in the comic should probably overlap.

They definitely overlap. The period in question should start no later than 1806 or so, when the mountain men era began, and quite possibly much earlier. And Western literature was written during that period. It's arguable that the Natty Bumppo books by James Fenimore Cooper were Westerns, even though they took place east of the Mississippi (in western New York, in fact). The first of those was published in 1823. Bret Harte's first story was published in 1863.
“This world is a strange madhouse. Currently, every coachman and every waiter is debating whether relativity theory is correct. Belief in this matter depends on political party affiliation.”
-- Albert Einstein, 12 September 1920

hetas

Postby hetas » Mon May 20, 2019 6:57 pm UTC

I would also count paintings in the "western genre".

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Mon May 20, 2019 7:19 pm UTC

Karl May started writing in 1875, and wrote little after 1900. We can conclude that Randall only knows the later American copycats, and is unfamiliar with the German originals.

Encino Stan

Postby Encino Stan » Mon May 20, 2019 11:31 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
Grop wrote:http://www.xkcd.com/2152/

M*A*S*H is the first thing I thought of. TV series lasted 3 times longer than Korean War.

Reka

Postby Reka » Tue May 21, 2019 12:36 am UTC

rhhardin wrote:"Alors, je vais demander ses cartes d'identité!" There are few things, in any literature, that have ever given me a greater thrill than coming across that line."

Can you explain this for those of us who are resolutely and irreparably non-conversant in French? I mean, I can get Mr. Google to cough up a translation, but that doesn't explain why Thurber considered it thrilling.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue May 21, 2019 1:47 am UTC

Reka wrote:
rhhardin wrote:"Alors, je vais demander ses cartes d'identité!" There are few things, in any literature, that have ever given me a greater thrill than coming across that line."

Can you explain this for those of us who are resolutely and irreparably non-conversant in French? I mean, I can get Mr. Google to cough up a translation, but that doesn't explain why Thurber considered it thrilling.

Roughly speaking it translates as "Okay, I'm going to check their ID!" - an entirely reasonable step in 19th Century France, where most people had official records, and asking for ID would cue undesirables to move on, but futile in the Old West where ID just meant a mutual acquaintance vouching for you...

serutan

Postby serutan » Tue May 21, 2019 3:42 am UTC

DavidSh wrote:The California Gold Rush was 1849, wasn't it though?

Indeed it was. And by a strange coincidence California got statehood a year later.
For a sentient herbivore, discretion is the only part of valor. - Larry Niven

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue May 21, 2019 3:46 am UTC

are not Westerns just a subgenre of historical fiction?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue May 21, 2019 5:39 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:are not Westerns just a subgenre of historical fiction?

Technically yes I suppose, but in a weird sense. When the genre started and established it's 'tropes', it was a contemporary setting. Buffalo Bill's Wild West show started touring in 1880, and at that time the Wild West was already a standard setting for pulp magazine stories.

Even the first western movies might not have been intended as historic fiction, AFAICT. The Wikipedia page of The Great Train Robbery says that the movie (in 1903) was partially inspired by a Butch Cassidy robbery in 1900.

There must have been a switchover where westerns became clearly historical, but it was gradual and the actual fiction itself didn't change much.

gerrym

Postby gerrym » Tue May 21, 2019 7:14 am UTC

"three times longer" means four times as long. The 120 years is only three times as long as the 40 years, so not three times longer, just two times longer.

hetas

Postby hetas » Tue May 21, 2019 11:03 am UTC

Are James Bond and Jason Bourne films going to be Historical Fiction?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue May 21, 2019 12:18 pm UTC

I'd say Firefly is a (space) western but in no way is it historical anything.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue May 21, 2019 12:26 pm UTC

Encino Stan wrote:
da Doctah wrote:
Grop wrote:http://www.xkcd.com/2152/

M*A*S*H is the first thing I thought of. TV series lasted 3 times longer than Korean War.

Depends how you count the length of the war. It's currently still active since there was a cease-fire agreement but no signoff as to and end of the State of War between the two factions.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Tue May 21, 2019 1:27 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:

I'd say Firefly is a (space) western but in no way is it historical anything.

As is Outland.1981 with Sean Connery set in a mining colony on one of Jupiter's moons.

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Tue May 21, 2019 2:40 pm UTC

dtilque wrote:

They definitely overlap. The period in question should start no later than 1806 or so, when the mountain men era began, and quite possibly much earlier. And Western literature was written during that period. It's arguable that the Natty Bumppo books by James Fenimore Cooper were Westerns, even though they took place east of the Mississippi (in western New York, in fact). The first of those was published in 1823. Bret Harte's first story was published in 1863.

The Mountain Man era simply doesn't fit the "Old West" genre. The infallible wiki [/s] puts cattle drives clearly existing in 1836, which certainly fit the Old West genre as it included cowboys doing extreme cowboy activities. Much like the "medieval genre" I mentioned above, "Western fiction" tends to assume plenty of things: cowboys, sixguns, sheriffs, US Marshals, gold prospectors and miners, and farmsteaders. Don't count on them completely overlapping in one era.

Another thing to remember is that one of the main points of the genre is how the Old West (and the frontier) disappeared. The movie ends with the hero (or at least the mysterious stranger) riding off into the sunset. Why? Because now that the "town is tamed", it is no longer part of the Old West, and the heroic deeds the character needs are now only found West of the newly tamed town. Thus he leaves toward the setting sun. This won't happen with the Mountain Man era, it will take a long time between then and when the settlers know peace (and those who don't know peace ride into the sunset).

PS. The 1985 movie "Tanpopo" fit nearly all the western requirements (including the gang leaving into the sunset once the deeds were done) and was essentially historical (especially now that 1980s Japan is history...), but shouldn't really be considered a "historical western".

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue May 21, 2019 4:08 pm UTC

I'd say a distinction needs to be made based on if a genre prioritizes verisimilitude or romanticism.

In reality:
  • Cowboy hats were not super popular yet
  • People didn't fight duels often
  • Native Americans were neither orcs nor na'vi
dtilque wrote:It's arguable that the Natty Bumppo books by James Fenimore Cooper were Westerns, even though they took place east of the Mississippi (in western New York, in fact).
I would argue the biome matters. Underneath the man vs man plots there is a prevailing man vs nature plot that shapes the way individuals live their lives and communities form.

Living on an eastern-US frontier also posed challenges, but those were different ones.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Tue May 21, 2019 4:25 pm UTC

The British film Moon Zero Two from 1969 was shamelessly promoted as 'The first moon "western"'. I guess it was a bit cheesy, but I enjoyed it, although it wasn't very successful. I suspect it hasn't aged well...

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Tue May 21, 2019 4:43 pm UTC

wumpus wrote:
dtilque wrote: The period in question should start no later than 1806 or so, when the mountain men era began,

The Mountain Man era simply doesn't fit the "Old West" genre.

Maybe not technically, but the average person would likely say a movie about them was a Western.

For sci-fi westerns, The Far Frontier by William Rotsler was basically a Western. He even lampshades it at one point by having one character point out to another that where they're at (planet in another solar system) wasn't the Old West and those aliens they're fighting are not Indians.
“This world is a strange madhouse. Currently, every coachman and every waiter is debating whether relativity theory is correct. Belief in this matter depends on political party affiliation.”
-- Albert Einstein, 12 September 1920

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue May 21, 2019 5:09 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:The British film Moon Zero Two from 1969 was shamelessly promoted as 'The first moon "western"'. I guess it was a bit cheesy, but I enjoyed it, although it wasn't very successful. I suspect it hasn't aged well...

Saw that at Bad Movie Night not so long ago; seems MST3K covered it at some point. It's not so bad, but the pacing is rather excruciating.

Reka

Postby Reka » Tue May 21, 2019 5:57 pm UTC

dtilque wrote:
wumpus wrote:The Mountain Man era simply doesn't fit the "Old West" genre.

Maybe not technically, but the average person would likely say a movie about them was a Western.

No, not really: I don't think anyone characterizes The Last of the Mohicans as a western.

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Tue May 21, 2019 8:32 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
I'd say a dilatation needs to be made based on if a genre prioritizes verisimilitude or romanticism.

In reality:
[list]
[*]People didn't fight duels often

I've seen the claim in a reasonably well researched book (probably "The Good old Days were Terrible") that the classic pulp/Hollywood "draw pardner" duel had only a single documented* occurrence. And while the source of the quote for "go West, young man" returned East complaining out "too much gunplay", the actual number of shootings was rather low (lower than some modern high crime areas in the US).

* not that the Old West was well documented. But of all the ways for men to shoot each other, it wasn't common.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Tue May 21, 2019 9:41 pm UTC

Reka wrote:
dtilque wrote:
wumpus wrote:The Mountain Man era simply doesn't fit the "Old West" genre.

No, not really: I don't think anyone characterizes The Last of the Mohicans as a western.

"The West" used to start farther east than it does now. In the Wikipedia article about The Last of the Mohicans (the novel), it says

[Cooper] grew up in Cooperstown, New York, which his father had established on what was then a western frontier of settlement; it developed after the Revolutionary War.

Even today, this usage still survives to some extent. To anyone unfamiliar with U.S. terminology, what Americans call the Midwest should more properly be called the Middle.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue May 21, 2019 9:50 pm UTC

You're switching definition of "western" inappropriately. Gaul was once the western frontier (of the roman empire), but nobody is saying that Asterix comic books are in the "Western" genre.

The frontier moved. When you change both the time and place, you change the setting to.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue May 21, 2019 9:57 pm UTC

GlassHouses wrote:To anyone unfamiliar with U.S. terminology, what Americans call the Midwest should more properly be called the Middle.

Growing up in California, I would sometimes refer to places like Illinois as "the mid-east", confusing two terms I had heard adults using but I guess never properly understood by then.

Of course it gets even worse when "the west" is even further east than "the midwest", and "the east" is to the west.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Tue May 21, 2019 10:49 pm UTC

Well I grew up in the middle of the Midwest (Wisconsin). When we traveled west from there, we didn't really feel like we were in the "west" until the terrain and flora started changing ... somewhere in the Dakotas. But Wiki disagrees with that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwestern_United_States

Reka

Postby Reka » Tue May 21, 2019 11:04 pm UTC

GlassHouses wrote:
Reka wrote:
dtilque wrote:Maybe not technically, but the average person would likely say a movie about them was a Western.

"The West" used to start farther east than it does now.

Yes, precisely: The Last of the Mohicans takes place in what was then the western frontier area, it features a conflict between settlers and Native Americans, and the main character is the OG "mountain man", but nobody in their right mind would characterize the movie as a western. So clearly, dtilque's assertion that the Western genre includes the Mountain Man era is... well, maybe not completely disproved, but certainly suspect. (It's not completely disproved because LotM takes place a good century before most Mountain Man stories.)

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Tue May 21, 2019 11:07 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:You're switching definition of "western" inappropriately. Gaul was once the western frontier (of the roman empire), but nobody is saying that Asterix comic books are in the "Western" genre.

The frontier moved. When you change both the time and place, you change the setting to.

What, proof by exaggeration? I'm not talking about ancient Europe. The Last of the Mohicans takes place on what was then the western frontier of the American colonies. Just because most "western" movies take place a bit further west, TLotM is not a Western? Now *that* sounds like arbitrary shifting of goalposts.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed May 22, 2019 1:17 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
GlassHouses wrote:To anyone unfamiliar with U.S. terminology, what Americans call the Midwest should more properly be called the Middle.

Growing up in California, I would sometimes refer to places like Illinois as "the mid-east", confusing two terms I had heard adults using but I guess never properly understood by then.

Of course it gets even worse when "the west" is even further east than "the midwest", and "the east" is to the west.

True. In modern technical usage, we define the division between East and West at Greenwich Observatory, where we define our meridian of zero longitude. In contemporary culture, we define it as somewhere around the Iron Curtain boundary.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”