2143: "Disk Usage"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6291
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby Jorpho » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:23 pm UTC

Image

Title Text: Menu -> Manage -> [Optimize space usage, Encrypt disk usage report, Convert photos to text-only, Delete temporary files, Delete permanent files, Delete all files currently in use, Optimize menu options, Download cloud, Optimize cloud , Upload unused space to cloud]

Let's make that title text a little easier to read:
  • Menu
    • Manage
      • Optimize space usage
      • Encrypt disk usage report
      • Convert photos to text-only
      • Delete temporary files
      • Delete permanent files
      • Delete all files currently in use
      • Optimize menu options
      • Download cloud
      • Optimize cloud
      • Upload unused space to cloud


Protip: Maybe you've heard of WinDirStat, a most excellent way of visualizing where your disk space has gone (or SequoiaView, its much older closed-source ancestor), but have you tried WizTree? It's much the same, but since it uses the NTFS MFT (like Everything Search), it's much faster. I wish I'd learned of it sooner.

Protip 2: If you're running Windows 7, you might want to check whether your disk space is being eaten by an insidious, uncorrected logfile bug.

Bomb Bloke
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:38 am UTC

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby Bomb Bloke » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:22 am UTC

Yes, iTunes does indeed store phone backups within its settings folder, buried in AppData somewhere. Beats me if they stay there once you install one of the later versions that cuts out all the phone synchronisation functionality - I'm going to guess "yes".

If you've got Spotify on your phone then yeah, that'll be chewing up a lot of storage with streamed content. On Android devices it stores streamed files as "data" instead of "cache", so the usual methods won't clear it out. You can locate the files quite easily with DiskUsage from the Play Store.

User avatar
serutan
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 2:18 pm UTC
Location: Baja Arizona

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby serutan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:50 am UTC

For a lot of people the 3 big things would be 'Photos', 'Streamed', and 'Games'.
For a sentient herbivore, discretion is the only part of valor. - Larry Niven

dtobias
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:09 pm UTC

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby dtobias » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:59 am UTC

...and a complete backup of the hard disk of your old PC from 2015, which includes a complete backup of the hard disk of your old PC from 2009, which includes a complete backup of the hard disk of your old PC from 2003, which inlcludes a complete backup of the hard disk of your old PC from 1996, which includes a complete backup of your old PC from 1989, which includes copies of all the files on your floppy disks from 1981-87.

User avatar
GlassHouses
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:41 pm UTC

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby GlassHouses » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:25 am UTC

dtobias wrote:...and a complete backup of the hard disk of your old PC from 2015, which includes a complete backup of the hard disk of your old PC from 2009, which includes a complete backup of the hard disk of your old PC from 2003, which inlcludes a complete backup of the hard disk of your old PC from 1996, which includes a complete backup of your old PC from 1989, which includes copies of all the files on your floppy disks from 1981-87.

So true (for me, at least), yet not a problem, thanks to the exponential growth of disk drives over time. Those ancient backups take up so little space: about 20 MB for my entire Commodore 64 collection, about 100 MB for all my old (pre-OS X) Mac stuff, less than 3 GB worth of Zip discs, and a stack of CD-R discs that fits on one SD card now...

Showsni
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby Showsni » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:04 am UTC

"Other" huh? Is that what you call it?

User avatar
rhhardin
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:11 pm UTC

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby rhhardin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:08 am UTC

$ ls -l *temp.mp3|tail -20
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 6700556 Apr 10 21:51 oooooooooooooooooootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 6690734 Apr 11 22:04 ooooooooooooooooootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 6702228 Apr 12 22:31 oooooooooooooooootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 6691361 Apr 13 22:41 ooooooooooooooootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 4803857 Apr 14 21:56 oooooooooooooootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 4786094 Apr 15 22:49 ooooooooooooootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 6688226 Apr 16 21:51 oooooooooooootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 6710796 Apr 17 23:07 ooooooooooootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 6696168 Apr 18 23:12 oooooooooootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 6704945 Apr 19 22:04 ooooooooootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 6696168 Apr 20 22:23 oooooooootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 4786094 Apr 21 21:49 ooooooootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 4786094 Apr 22 22:15 oooooootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 6689271 Apr 23 21:51 ooooootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 6688644 Apr 25 22:33 oooootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 6703273 Apr 26 22:33 ooootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 6689271 Apr 27 22:09 oootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 4786094 Apr 28 21:57 ootemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 4786094 Apr 29 21:52 otemp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 6691361 Apr 29 21:52 temp.mp3

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2266
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby Flumble » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:20 pm UTC

rhhardin wrote:-rw-r--r-- 1 rhh None 6700556 Apr 10 21:51 oooooooooooooooooootemp.mp3

How did you know 3 weeks ago that you'd need exactly 19 Os? :shock:

User avatar
rhhardin
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:11 pm UTC

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby rhhardin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:35 pm UTC

How did you know 3 weeks ago that you'd need exactly 19 Os?


19 is nothing. It goes back to last October. A shell script
$ age.sh otemp.mp3=temp.mp3

adds an o to temp.mp3, but if otemp.mp3 exists adds an o to it first, and so on.

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2068
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby cellocgw » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:38 pm UTC

rhhardin wrote:
How did you know 3 weeks ago that you'd need exactly 19 Os?


19 is nothing. It goes back to last October. A shell script
$ age.sh otemp.mp3=temp.mp3

adds an o to temp.mp3, but if otemp.mp3 exists adds an o to it first, and so on.


And you did that instead of prepending an incrementing number why?
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
SuicideJunkie
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:40 pm UTC

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:16 pm UTC

19181716151413121110987654321temp.mp3 would just look weird and be harder to sort.

User avatar
rhhardin
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:11 pm UTC

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby rhhardin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:57 pm UTC

It works the same every day, to prepend an o.

Others use temp, temp.sv and then oldtemp.sv but it doesn't generalize.

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2266
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby Flumble » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:31 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:19181716151413121110987654321temp.mp3 would just look weird and be harder to sort.

It would become more and more normal though.

TRWTF is not using version control for everything.
Want to crop a photo? Put it in a separate folder, git init, git add photo.jpg, git commit -m 'original', change the photo, git add photo.jpg, git commit -m 'cropped'. There, no ophoto.jpg or photo.jpg.backup or photo-1.jpg, just photo.jpg. :mrgreen:

herbstschweigen
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:03 am UTC
Location: Arrival City

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby herbstschweigen » Thu May 02, 2019 11:46 am UTC

rhhardin wrote:Others use temp, temp.sv and then oldtemp.sv but it doesn't generalize.


And don't forget about stuff.txt, stuff.txt.bak, stuff.old, stuff.bak.old, stuff.bak.2, and stuff.bak-20160328.

Also wondering why no one yet posted a link to the imo related comic.
It's cooler up here.

User avatar
Archgeek
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 6:00 am UTC
Location: Central US
Contact:

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby Archgeek » Thu May 02, 2019 10:10 pm UTC

herbstschweigen wrote:And don't forget about stuff.txt, stuff.txt.bak, stuff.old, stuff.bak.old, stuff.bak.2, and stuff.bak-20160328.

stuff.txt

I feel somehow personally attacked here. Throw in TODO.txt, TODO_TODAY.txt, TODO_SOON.txt, TODO_CAREER.txt, and TODO_FUN.txt, and I'd be sure of it.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

User avatar
somitomi
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:21 pm UTC
Location: can be found in Hungary
Contact:

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby somitomi » Tue May 07, 2019 4:55 pm UTC

Archgeek wrote:
herbstschweigen wrote:And don't forget about stuff.txt, stuff.txt.bak, stuff.old, stuff.bak.old, stuff.bak.2, and stuff.bak-20160328.

stuff.txt

I feel somehow personally attacked here. Throw in TODO.txt, TODO_TODAY.txt, TODO_SOON.txt, TODO_CAREER.txt, and TODO_FUN.txt, and I'd be sure of it.

Anyone else keep short-term notes in an unsaved file in Notepad++ or is that just me?
Image
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

airdrik
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby airdrik » Tue May 07, 2019 5:33 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:
Archgeek wrote:
herbstschweigen wrote:And don't forget about stuff.txt, stuff.txt.bak, stuff.old, stuff.bak.old, stuff.bak.2, and stuff.bak-20160328.

stuff.txt

I feel somehow personally attacked here. Throw in TODO.txt, TODO_TODAY.txt, TODO_SOON.txt, TODO_CAREER.txt, and TODO_FUN.txt, and I'd be sure of it.

Anyone else keep short-term notes in an unsaved file in Notepad++ or is that just me?

Nope. I use Kwrite instead ;)
... and I don't reboot as often as I probably should because I always have unsaved or work-in-progress stuff related to some task I'm in the middle of open that I would rather not lose just because a security update came in.

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2266
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby Flumble » Tue May 07, 2019 5:42 pm UTC

[edit]ninja'd by my doppelganger[/edit]

somitomi wrote:Anyone else keep short-term notes in an unsaved file in Notepad++ or is that just me?

Likely not, but not me. I use gedit and atom instead of notepad++. :roll:
Also lots of other programs that you can keep open indefinitely with multiple unsaved documents. I'm glad my computer doesn't usually crash. :oops:

User avatar
somitomi
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:21 pm UTC
Location: can be found in Hungary
Contact:

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby somitomi » Tue May 07, 2019 8:39 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:[edit]ninja'd by my doppelganger[/edit]

somitomi wrote:Anyone else keep short-term notes in an unsaved file in Notepad++ or is that just me?

Likely not, but not me. I use gedit and atom instead of notepad++. :roll:
Also lots of other programs that you can keep open indefinitely with multiple unsaved documents. I'm glad my computer doesn't usually crash. :oops:

Yeah, but the trick with Notepad++ is that is saves all unsaved progress into some pocket dimension on the hard drive so I don't have to keep it open all the time. When I open Notepad++ again"new 1" will have everything I typed into it, even if I have turned the PC off since the last time I wrote into it. On the flipside it doesn't prompt the user to save properly before exiting, leading to frustrating cases of the file not containing what the user thinks it does.
Image
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

User avatar
Archgeek
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 6:00 am UTC
Location: Central US
Contact:

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby Archgeek » Wed May 08, 2019 2:30 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
somitomi wrote:
Archgeek wrote:
herbstschweigen wrote:And don't forget about stuff.txt, stuff.txt.bak, stuff.old, stuff.bak.old, stuff.bak.2, and stuff.bak-20160328.

stuff.txt

I feel somehow personally attacked here. Throw in TODO.txt, TODO_TODAY.txt, TODO_SOON.txt, TODO_CAREER.txt, and TODO_FUN.txt, and I'd be sure of it.

Anyone else keep short-term notes in an unsaved file in Notepad++ or is that just me?

Nope. I use Kwrite instead ;)
... and I don't reboot as often as I probably should because I always have unsaved or work-in-progress stuff related to some task I'm in the middle of open that I would rather not lose just because a security update came in.

I keep the files above open in Notepad++, with the language set to python so I can use box-tree folding on my outline-like notes as needed, or highlight things in green with '#', coupled with severe abuse of text bookmarks and F2. ^s is an ancient habit for me.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

jgh
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:04 pm UTC

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby jgh » Fri May 10, 2019 12:25 am UTC

At university I kept loads of stuff in my mailbox, which was outside the space accounting system. I then forgot to copy everything out when I left.

xtifr
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby xtifr » Fri May 10, 2019 8:22 pm UTC

Wow, I would think a geeky group like this would have a lot more org-mode users.

Of course, one thing org-mode doesn't really help with (yet) is cleaning up the tons of .org files you can end up with lying around your filesystem. But at least it makes it easy to find all your random TODOs, and archive the completed ones so they *merely* take up disk space, instead of adding to the confusion. And all using simple plain-text files.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6291
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby Jorpho » Tue May 14, 2019 4:45 am UTC

somitomi wrote:Yeah, but the trick with Notepad++ is that is saves all unsaved progress into some pocket dimension on the hard drive so I don't have to keep it open all the time. When I open Notepad++ again"new 1" will have everything I typed into it, even if I have turned the PC off since the last time I wrote into it.
Yes indeed, I have "new 17" open in Notepad++ at the moment. And a WikidPad instance. And a separate browser window with Google Keep, since Google Docs started getting too slow.

And yet, I fear it is only a matter of time before I decide to open metapad and start writing something that will be tragically lost the next time I reboot.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3104
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby orthogon » Thu May 16, 2019 7:04 am UTC

somitomi wrote:
Flumble wrote:[edit]ninja'd by my doppelganger[/edit]

somitomi wrote:Anyone else keep short-term notes in an unsaved file in Notepad++ or is that just me?

Likely not, but not me. I use gedit and atom instead of notepad++. :roll:
Also lots of other programs that you can keep open indefinitely with multiple unsaved documents. I'm glad my computer doesn't usually crash. :oops:

Yeah, but the trick with Notepad++ is that is saves all unsaved progress into some pocket dimension on the hard drive so I don't have to keep it open all the time. When I open Notepad++ again"new 1" will have everything I typed into it, even if I have turned the PC off since the last time I wrote into it. On the flipside it doesn't prompt the user to save properly before exiting, leading to frustrating cases of the file not containing what the user thinks it does.

I use a single big saved document in notepad++ for all my notes. And about half the time I forget to save it. When I go to shut down (often in a rush because I have to catch a train), I often click the wrong button ("no" instead of "cancel") in response to the unsaved changes warning, and end up losing stuff. I don't understand why this happens, given that I normally Ctrl-S all the time. Sounds like my mistake is to give the doc a name, but perhaps I shouldn't have turned off the feature of opening all the docs from last time on startup.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

speising
Posts: 2367
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby speising » Thu May 16, 2019 8:07 am UTC

sounds like the problem is you shut down instead of sleep / hibernate.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3104
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby orthogon » Thu May 16, 2019 10:32 am UTC

speising wrote:sounds like the problem is you shut down instead of sleep / hibernate.

Well, I hibernate every night but normally shut down at weekends.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
somitomi
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:21 pm UTC
Location: can be found in Hungary
Contact:

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Postby somitomi » Thu May 16, 2019 4:52 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I use a single big saved document in notepad++ for all my notes. And about half the time I forget to save it. When I go to shut down (often in a rush because I have to catch a train), I often click the wrong button ("no" instead of "cancel") in response to the unsaved changes warning, and end up losing stuff. I don't understand why this happens, given that I normally Ctrl-S all the time. Sounds like my mistake is to give the doc a name, but perhaps I shouldn't have turned off the feature of opening all the docs from last time on startup.

Weird, the Notepad++ I know and use doesn't ask you about unsaved changes unless you close that particular tab. I don't think I've ever lost data by closing Notepad++, even if I shut the computer down afterwards.
Image
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 94 guests