Unlikely Superheroes (Endgame)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

moody7277

Re: Unlikely Superheroes (Day 1)

Postby moody7277 » Thu May 09, 2019 1:46 am UTC

@BF

Sabrar:

post 1: poem and wam vote
post 2: suspicion at Vicarin for defusing BF's main opening, BF's self-vote odd, no conclusion about bessie from her conf post analysis, insulted by my choice of chess opening

Was not meaning it as a comment about you.

post 3: expands reaction to Vicarin's action at BoomFrog, says it removes a lot of possible data
post 4: setup speculation, 3 scum too much given mediocre powers
post 5: PW read as town, tells him wam's timing on the miller claim is proper.
post 6: knock on freezeblade
post 7: wants an organic argument with Vicarin
post 8: responses to bessie, questions her setup spec and her description of Vicarin's content
post 9: direct questions, including re indie!dimochka, wants fb in the game now
post 10: setup spec settles at 8-2-1 with some possibility of 8-3, examples from previous games, wants more from BF
post 11: tells PW that BoomFrog can't read him

Posts 2&3 look very good to me, interest in dim's indieness is curious but unique so can be set aside. Conclusion +3.5 to +5

As for PW copypasting your t->s list just to be able to discuss lists looks rather shady to me.

3. ..Bc5
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu May 09, 2019 2:09 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:That's definitely some setup spec right there I guess. Why are you so against the idea of a Miller existing beyond your rather detailed speculation?
Game mechanics. Even with my proposed setup spec of a mafia-town lover pair, 8-3 is still a little scum sided. I don’t think there is a miller or a godfather, those roles would swing the balance too much to mafia.

Sabrar wrote:How are the two things related? Do you think game is slow because scum haven't decided on who to bandwagon/nk (instead of just afk players)? I don't see the connection.
Just because your supercomputer brain doesn’t see a connection doesn’t mean I don’t see it in my puppy mind. If I’m right about the setup, they have a relatively small lynch pool of 7, added to the difficulty of trying to conceal three people working as a team. Perhaps the mafia team is holding back a bit and seeing if any wagons form, instead of driving discussion.

Sabrar wrote:
bessie wrote:Interesting. I was pondering Vicarin’s content so far this game, and if I had to describe it in one word, “forced” would be on my short list.
I didn't say his content was forced but what else would you call a direct request like that?
I just thought it was interesting that I was thinking of the word forced to describe Vicarin’s content, and you ninja’d me while I was composing my post (yes it took me about 45-50 minutes I’m slow) and used the same word in a response to him. I was like hmm, mind meld, fascinating.

wam wrote:@Bessie

Why no Miller?
See above. You’ve modded enough games, can you follow my reasoning?

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: I'd like to know too why bessie thinks wam's Miller claim doesn't fit her setup spec (ninja'ed by wam).
See my response to wam. I’m surprised I had to explain this to either of you. FoS jimbobmacdoodle.

Sabrar wrote:@bessie: why do you care so much pre-emptively about your image? What was the purpose of this line?
bessie wrote:I often ask this privately or in thread on if it’s not in the OP. I had an unusually long town run a while ago and would draw some suspicion because of it...
I don’t care about my image. [shrug] It was what I was thinking when I wrote it. And it happens to be the truth. Sabrar, jimbob, wam, BoomFrog, dimochka, Peaceful Whale, have I not asked this question by pm in games you have modded? moody, freezeblade, have I not asked it in thread? Suicide Junkie, did we not have a discussion about this pre Golden Gun when you assigned me a role, and I explained that on this forum, if all the roles are not randomly assigned the mod is expected to state it up front, or advertise the game as bastard? [Reference Golden Gun Game specific rule #10.] I find it interesting that you seem to have forgotten our previous discussion when you posted your lament about having an undesirable role.

wam wrote:I have a theory about bessies setup spec but want to see her answers first.
You’ve seen my answers. Now post your theory, and explain how it was very important to see my response before posting it, and how you weren’t just active lurking in that post.

BoomFrog wrote:I declare wam town. @Bessie, please explain your disbelief in Millers.
I find it very interesting that everyone is focusing on the single line miller part of my setup spec, and not the paragraph above it. I mean, really, none of you disagree with the rest of my setup spec?? No one even wants to discuss it?? I totally nailed it, didn’t I?

Sabrar wrote:Given he had Secret Santa as 8-2 (and scum won that so I don't believe he would think it was town-sided) I still find 8-2-1 to be possible.
Yeah. I waited what, almost three years for that game, and you never could give that one to me, could you. Well you can be content in knowing that I never did fully enjoy that win.

Back maybe later I just ran out of steam.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu May 09, 2019 2:35 am UTC

bessie- bunch of FoSes in something I want to read as sarcastic but am not sure of, touchy about me doubting her conf post analysis fu, detailed role spec including lover which is an unusual role here, tells PW about millers but says wam isn't one, Vicarin's content "forced". Still have a mostly townie read on her, but it's a +5 instead of the +7 I would have said before reading her

BooomFrog- disenchanted self-vote after being poked by Vicarin, wants specific speculation, upset at Sabrar for saying he lacks content, wam is town, list with SJ and PW also at top, Sabrar and Vicarin scummiest, setup spec based on probable scum day-chat and powers leads to 8-3, agrees with bessie about Vicarin "forced" content. probably town, +3.5

dimochka- asks Vicarin about 7-2-1-1, which is a very odd setup, some speculation on my chess moves. -1 to +2

freezeblade- much delayed start, wam's claim neutral, 7-3-1 with pro-town indie. 0 to +2

jimbob- joke votes SJ, setup spec with a more sinister indie, particulars of wam's claim lead to more likely townier, blanket responses: dimochka shouldn't wait to post content, joke vote may not have been as random as Sabrar thinks, Vicarin suspicious. town lean, +1.5 to +3

Peaceful Whale- votes wam with doubts on miller claim, "claims" quasi-VT, copypastes BF's t->s list, analyses wam's reaction to BF and votes BF from it. I don't even... -2 to +0.5

Sabrar- see previous post.

SuicideJunkie- lots of fluff, votes jimbob, seems to be talking around role specifics, some of his and some of wam's miller-plus. Nothing I can sink my teeth into yet. -0.5 to +1.5

Vicarin- setup speculation, and says short night->day-chat, votes BoomFrog and asks him to do tricks, okay with my chess opening, 8-3 good start for game depending on powers, quibble about exact nature of wam's claim, really wants to get into it with Sabrar, votes SJ to provoke reaction (unsuccessfully so far), T->S list with me and bessie at top, SJ and dim on bottom. The forced thing might be him trying to generate volume around the time he's asking Sabrar to argue, but I don't think that's alignment indicative. otherwise town lean, +2.5

wam- claims quasi-miller first post, 8-3 setup spec, confused by bessie's doubt re his claim, also BF seems weird. town lean, +2.5

4.c3

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Thu May 09, 2019 4:28 am UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:gahhhh. this is how one does the italics well I failed

hello @dimochka !!! I remember from my first game and I broke a ton of rules XD i haven't played with you ever! How are you?

Hey! Yes I remember you. Things are good, just keeping very busy at work. Hope you're well too!

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:3) dimochka's post here:
dimochka wrote:Other thoughts to be added soon but waiting for the rest of y'all to post. Missing wam, peaceful whale (post d1 start), and freezeblade.
Why wait?

Because at that point there was barely any content in my opinion.

Sabrar wrote:@dimochka: do you want to just claim indie now? Basically you're the only who speculated about multiple indies, anyone with a straight 8-3 spec will have a hard time selling an indie claim later. What indies would be in 7-2-1-1?

I'm actually not indie. I just read the "many unusual roles" as "many indies" and as you know from my games I favor indies. I still stand by the fact that it's possible, but agree that it's less likely given how many people agreed to 8-3. To be blunt i was thinking 7 town, 2 mafia, 1 sk, 1 survivor. With weird roles I think this is completely reasonable. Jester possible but I don't think we have one. Agree that 2 killing roles could be awful and possibly imbalanced (one mislynch and 2 successful kills is LYLO-ish?), but could see some workarounds.

Some thoughts so far:
- bessie's login on why 8-3 works (because 8-2 may have considered by LaserGuy to be too town-sided) is weak. I get that it was a response to BF but I'm surprised it's what she would get behind (to clarify, my issue isn't with 8-3 but rather with the reasoning). Also wam didn't claim miller (not exactly), so I don't see why this is being brought up. Otherwise typical bessie. To be fair I don't remember playing against scum.bessie so need to find those games and read them. Anyone care to point me to them to save me time? Neutral leaning town. @bessie - i didn't check my PMs from old games but I agree that that kind of question is well within your wheelhouse.
- boomfrog - disagree that he's added a lot of value so far (feels like he's holding back for now, not only because he hasn't explained list so far). boomfrog - explain sabrar OR bessie on your list (lowest people apart from me, and from Vic, whom you covered in your last post). Neutral.
- freezeblade - need more from you. what indie roles fit your criteria? all you've done is opine on wam's role (what everyone, including me, has done), and given a non-controversial setup spec. Neutral leaning scum.
- jimbob - ok on setup spec explanations. agree on view re: wam. also like his last post, i think he has some strong points. Though I don't like the fact that I like so much of his content. Town for now.
- moody - provided some good thoughts on reads. gave weight to some that I would not have, but generally ok. Leaning town.
- peaceful whale - i'm not giving the "new player" card here, so the lack of trying in the vote list is frustrating. so to clarify - boomfrog is not in your copied list but would have been last? how do you rate moody then, who ranked bessie town after she pushed him? shouldn't he be lower? lean scum.
- sabrar - agree with his views (logic re: setup, his push on me, explanation for pushing BF) and for that reason i'm going to put him at Neutral, because he's probably tricking me somewhere. But more town than other neutrals. To reassess D2, unless D1 changes something.
- SJ - some potential hint at power structure (doesn't imply to me town or scum), need more content. Neutral. @SJ - I didn't understand that last bit with Vicarin, explain?
- Vicarin - threw out 3 different setup specs that are all logical and not exactly helpful. generic answer to my question. later post on setup + explanation on wam makes sense (slight bonus points for setup part, not for wam). more ok with his later content, i.e. response to BF (agree that driving conversation in d1 is possibly a townie move, and at the very least worth considering keeping around till d2 barring other circumstances / reads). neutral lean town.
- wam - typical curt responses. waiting for his response to bessie. Claim at beginning more indicative of town than scum for me, so leaning town.

list looks something like this:
Jimbob
Bessie
Wam
Moody
Vic
Sabrar
Boomfrog
SJ
Freezeblade
PW

Will place vote next post.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu May 09, 2019 4:54 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Who said anything about random? And if it was random, why do you feel that it was a defensive response and not an equally random response to the supposed random vote?
1. It was the 4th post in the game, I feel if you hadn't voted randomly you should have indicated it.
2. It felt like SuicideJunkie took it more seriously than needed.

bessie wrote:I just thought it was interesting that I was thinking of the word forced to describe Vicarin’s content, and you ninja’d me while I was composing my post (yes it took me about 45-50 minutes I’m slow) and used the same word in a response to him. I was like hmm, mind meld, fascinating.
I misread your comment, sorry. I'm fine with this now.

Unvote

I'm away during the day, probably reading any new content from time to time but not posting. Will be back in the evening.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu May 09, 2019 5:02 am UTC

@bessie: were we actually supposed to take that part of the setup speculation seriously? The belief in no Miller seemed significantly more serious than the rest of that post.

@moody: can you sort all the reads into a TtoS list, seeing as the numbers are a bit nebulous?

@dimochka: If you want a recent scum!bessie game there's Texas Hold'em that you can check.

Also that list doesn't really match up completely with your descriptions seeing as you have bessie above wam.

wam

Postby wam » Thu May 09, 2019 7:54 am UTC

@Bessie

So active lurking. If that was the only thing in the post I would think you have a point.

My guess which was clearly wrong is that you had some setup reason to believe there was no cop. Which given the weird weak powers could be true.

My point which answers the above and bessies concerns is what if there is a Miller or godfather and no cop. Then it's not a gain either way and the mod is messing with us.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:15 pm UTC

Vicarin wrote:@moody: can you sort all the reads into a TtoS list, seeing as the numbers are a bit nebulous?

Some of the error bars might be confusing, but I got a chuckle about numbers being nebulous.

Town

bessie
Sabrar
BoomFrog
jimbob
wam
Vicarin
freezeblade
dimochka
SuicideJunkie
Peaceful Whale

Scum

4. ..Nf6

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu May 09, 2019 3:28 pm UTC

Jimbob:
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who said your vote was about my meta :P. But you're also the only one I had any reason to vote for at the time.

Dimochka:
I'm told I need to post more, but also shouldn't be posting things. And it can't be fluff. I don't know where the middle ground is, and it seems swampy.
Moody says I'm too fluffy, others say I'm living dangerously with being too revealing. Vic just wants more?

Sabrar:
I'm not good at reading people at the best of times. I needed somewhere to drop a vote, and someone RVS a known (to me) townie is as good as anywhere. Maybe I was subconsciously offended, but I don't think it is very meaningful that early.

Bessie:
Even if it is random, the dice can still hate me. Laserguy is cool.
eg: In the office coffee flip, we keep stats. I've paid out 15% more than the expected value over 1000 runs, quite consistently in last position every year by the end of January.
I still join the flips, because 1) The odds are fair, and 2) Either I get $1, or the boss is happy with free coffee: it is win-win!

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 09, 2019 3:57 pm UTC

@SJ: The answer is: post more about your opinion of other people and less about yourself.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 09, 2019 4:09 pm UTC

dimochka wrote: boomfrog - explain sabrar OR bessie on your list (lowest people apart from me, and from Vic, whom you covered in your last post).
Why "OR"?
Sabrar (at the time of my list) has only been prodding, not providing content of his own. And his prodding seems oddly targeted. Prodding some high content players while ignoring some low content players. I expect town sabrar to have better content by now.

list looks something like this:
Jimbob
Bessie
Wam
Moody
Vic
Sabrar
Boomfrog
SJ
Freezeblade
PW

Will place vote next post.

I do not like the reasoning for this list in many spots and more importantly the result is very opportunistic. The bottom three players are all players I would describe as easy to lynch D1.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 09, 2019 4:10 pm UTC

Vote dimochka

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu May 09, 2019 4:31 pm UTC

Current votals:

Peaceful Whale (1): moody
SuicideJunkie (2): jimbobmacdoodle, Vicarin
jimbobmacdoodle (1): SuicideJunkie
BoomFrog (1): Peaceful Whale
Sabrar (1): wam
dimochka (1): BoomFrog

Not voting: bessie, dimochka, freezeblade, Sabrar

Deadline in 4 days

wam

Postby wam » Thu May 09, 2019 5:13 pm UTC

Forgot I was still voting

unvote

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu May 09, 2019 6:10 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:- freezeblade - need more from you. what indie roles fit your criteria?

Indies I would expect could be with a 7-3-1 setup: Survivor, Indie PGO of some sort (more likely to be targeted by scum), a mafia-listener role of some sort, mason (recruiting?), indie-jailer, commuter, basically non-killing roles, with possible investigative roles to help get information that would help town.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu May 09, 2019 7:19 pm UTC

@bessie: do you have issues with wam's content outside of Miller claim? You're basing a lot on being right about the 8-3 setup. What do you think about my reasoning why 8-2-1 is still possible?

@BoomFrog: is moody's and Vicarin's list also opportunistic for the same reason as dimochka's? What's the difference if not?
BoomFrog wrote:Sabrar (at the time of my list) has only been prodding, not providing content of his own. And his prodding seems oddly targeted. Prodding some high content players while ignoring some low content players.
I was going in alphabetical order and ran out of time. This should have at least occurred to you.

@freezeblade: please provide some opinion on other players, not just setup-spec

I don't see any deviation from moody so far compared to his previous townie games (aside from the chess moves which are probably fluff or (suggested) post-restriction). I don't get why BoomFrog is that high up in his list but otherwise I have no issue with his content. Solid town-lean.

SuicideJunkie wrote:Sabrar:
I'm not good at reading people at the best of times. I needed somewhere to drop a vote, and someone RVS a known (to me) townie is as good as anywhere. Maybe I was subconsciously offended, but I don't think it is very meaningful that early.
It's not your counter-vote that pinged me but that you actually defended yourself against a random vote.

LaserGuy wrote:Setup: Moderate. Intended to be balanced. No hidden mechanics or abilities, but many unusual powers that could lead to a lot of unexpected weirdness.
Was this supposed to say 'Moderate bastardry'?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu May 09, 2019 7:20 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:Setup: Moderate. Intended to be balanced. No hidden mechanics or abilities, but many unusual powers that could lead to a lot of unexpected weirdness.

Yes.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 09, 2019 7:45 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:@BoomFrog: is moody's and Vicarin's list also opportunistic for the same reason as dimochka's? What's the difference if not?
Hmm, I hadn't noticed those two had the same problem. I think Vic didn't ping me because he didn't provide reasons for the list (also he's still my second scummiest). moodys reasons make sense from my best estimation of the moody mindset. He also gets the moody discount on scummyness.

I was going in alphabetical order and ran out of time. This should have at least occurred to you.

That is not a reasonable expectation of me. Also, why would you choose alphabetical instead of say "people who pinged your scumdar"?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 09, 2019 8:06 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:
Sabrar wrote:

Yes.

:shock:

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu May 09, 2019 8:27 pm UTC

@Vicarin: what had dimochka done that made him your second scummiest choice on your ordered list? Similarly freezeblade for the third scummiest spot?
BoomFrog wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:7) BoomFrog, why are the powers only the second most interesting thing? Did I miss a reference in my skimming? Who are you still waiting on before explaining your setup spec?

In the interest of not wasting your limited time I'll explain. Just a joke for Bessie about the most interesting thing being myself.
Thanks, I figured it was something along those lines, but wanted to check.

Is anybody mapping out moody's chess moves in case they are somehow relevant?
bessie wrote:Perhaps the mafia team is holding back a bit and seeing if any wagons form, instead of driving discussion.
It's still D1. That's more or less what I'd expect from scum. Even if they are being active in discussion, I don't think they're going to try to push a specific wagon hard.
bessie wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote: I'd like to know too why bessie thinks wam's Miller claim doesn't fit her setup spec (ninja'ed by wam).
See my response to wam. I’m surprised I had to explain this to either of you. FoS jimbobmacdoodle.
Coming from anybody except bessie, I'd see this is a massive stretch for a FoS. Still quite a stretch even for her. She knows full well that people can't read minds, and don't see things the way others do. As noted elsewhere, her stance on a Miller being present sounded very firm, so it's not at all surprised it raised eyebrows among several players.
bessie wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:I declare wam town. @Bessie, please explain your disbelief in Millers.
I find it very interesting that everyone is focusing on the single line miller part of my setup spec, and not the paragraph above it. I mean, really, none of you disagree with the rest of my setup spec?? No one even wants to discuss it?? I totally nailed it, didn’t I?
I've not really thought much about the rest of your speculation. I focused more on the attack on a claimed player. The lover theory feels a bit random, and I'm not sure where it comes from, but I acknowledge that it's a WAG. Given how random it feels though, I don't really feel like there's any value to the rest of your theory following on from it. Indeed, I'm slightly suspicious how you seem to want to push that scum aren't trying to drive things. The rest of your setup comments (daychat, team size, half-mafia members etc) all makes reasonable sense.

@moody - two questions about your reads list:
1) what is it about dimochka that gave him a -1 ranking to you? Is it the odd setup? Why did this make you concerned?
2) what is it about freezeblade that gives you a potential positive read on him (i.e. the +2)?
dimochka wrote:Though I don't like the fact that I like so much of his content.
Why don't you like this fact? Also, what do you think about SuicideJunkie's responses to my prods so far?
SuicideJunkie wrote:Jimbob:
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who said your vote was about my meta :P. But you're also the only one I had any reason to vote for at the time.
That doesn't answer my concern with you. What makes you think my vote on you had anything to do with your meta?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu May 09, 2019 9:10 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:
Sabrar wrote:

Yes.

:shock:

Just so we're clear, any potential bastardry is covered in the game specific rules:

5. This is a closed setup featuring many unusual powers.
6. No role has any hidden mechanics or abilities.
7. There are no spoiler-reading or listening roles. Once dead, players cannot be resurrected or interact with the thread in any way. Pretty much everything else is, in principle, fair game.
8. The mod will not lie or attempt to influence the game state. The mod may choose not to answer questions in order to maintain this.

10. MYLO and LYLO will not be announced.

Voting rules:
16. Some of the rules in this section may be modified due to certain abilities.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu May 09, 2019 10:16 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Voting rules:
16. Some of the rules in this section may be modified due to certain abilities.

I'm guessing this implies some vote-fuckery powers, possibly loud/public. If any of these is in the hands of mafia, I change my likely setup numbers to 8-2-1
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:17 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@moody - two questions about your reads list:
1) what is it about dimochka that gave him a -1 ranking to you? Is it the odd setup? Why did this make you concerned?
2) what is it about freezeblade that gives you a potential positive read on him (i.e. the +2)?

1) Yep, that bizarre a setup speculation screams that dimochka knows a bit more than the average townie. Of course, since he's guessing at two separate independent factions, that might have led me to rotate his read onto the imaginary/indie axis instead. Think there was some guessing in that direction by someone else.

2) With the freezeblade read, I'm trying to compensate for the meta read his usual poor luck with the RNG god gives him re alignment. This is also why I put wam above Vicarin even though they have the same range in numbers.

5. d3

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu May 09, 2019 11:33 pm UTC

@SJ: this was explained extensively in Secret Santa. Reads are most important, then driving discussion, then if you have some time left over you're allowed some fluff. Atm I'm not seeing reads, I'm seeing a bit of discussion, and a lot of fluff. Reverse them.

And if you want to say that you're bad at reads again, just try doing them. Not going to get any better at them without practice.

@BoomFrog: would you describe me as easy to lynch D1? Do you think SJ is acting in a measurably different way to his previous game?

@jimbob: at the time, dimochka had 1 post total, and he'd promised more soon. He's finally delivered some reads, so can move up a bit. Freezeblade had very low content as well, mostly stuff like repeating speculation about wam. Right now, seems to be focusing on setup spec when we're in a moderate bastardry game with weird powers, which seems pretty futile. He can stay.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu May 09, 2019 11:55 pm UTC

@BoomFrog: actually, could you divide everyone into binary easy/not easy to lynch categories? For D1 only, if that makes it easier.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri May 10, 2019 2:07 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:Do you think SJ is acting in a measurably different way to his previous game?

Note: If anyone says no, they're clearly lying.
Bessie wrote:I don’t think there is a miller or a godfather, those roles would swing the balance too much to mafia.
What if the Godfather is actually a Town member? And who would suspect the miller of actually being in the Mafia? Genius!

Reads need something to read, and I don't know the language of intrigue. All I see in the matrix is asterisk, pound sign, curly bracket.
I guess Random time is over, and boy I wish I'd thought of RVSelf first. Would even have had a semi-witty comment about Reversi and SJ.

Unvote

-

Here's what I've got tho:

Boomfrog:
I didn't catch it at first, but Boomfrog did agree on the roles thing. He's probably either Town with a role downside and knows how it feels, or is scum with not enough buddies and is hopeful. I'm leaning to the former.

Wam, I want to go out on a limb and say is Town. Specifically the Invisible Dude; can't be investigated, and that unvote was probably just for show because we can't see him raise his hand to count his opinion on the lynch.

Moody:
Going his own way. Distrusts me, but that's OK and not unexpected. Probably acting as The Chess Guy (Explicitly not the Master). Not an indy who wins if he finishes the chess game, or there'd have been a fool's mate by now. Beware of powers activated when his game results in a captured piece or a promotion! Maybe a sort of underdog who has to choose whether White or Black will win.

Peaceful Whale:
Seems honest, and decent but the " :twisted:Town :arrow: ... :arrow: Scum :P" Thing is clearly a blatant* scumslip.

Bessie:
Seems ok? Not as townie as I'd expect from la puppy eyes.

Sabrar:
Seems decent. But not as aggressive as rumor would have it. Lampshaded by Bessie to divert suspicion?

Jimbob:
"Random" voting me seems to have paid off in info somehow, rather than just chaff.

Dimochka:
Has unique opinions. Have to see how it pans out.

Freezeblade:
Exists. I had only counted to nine so far.

Vicarin:
Quietly idle on spec until just recently, then poking at an easy target? Seems sketchy.

Laserguy:
Definitely not Town. Probably the DiceMaster. Some control over powers, and has an instant kill option if rolling a natural 1.

Vote Vicarin

for now, but I'm all alone in it so that will probably have to change to a compromise.

On setup:
Two mislynches before a loss is too few; since I'm probably going to be one of them, that only leaves one honest mislynch so 8-3 can't be right. 9-2 or 8-2-1 could be a thing since we're definitely not Justice League material on the hero side.

* :roll:

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri May 10, 2019 2:23 am UTC

You want to actually commit to an ordering there? That's a lot of waffling with one scum read (me) and maybe 2 town reads if I'm generous?

Or the list that you put there your actual order, but I don't really think that matches the descriptions...

You also seem rather sensitive to people voting for you.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri May 10, 2019 2:37 am UTC

Ok, where was I?

moody7277 wrote: bessie has reverted to typical behavior so I'm reading her as solidly town.
And how is me being me AI?
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4275671#p4275671

SuicideJunkie wrote:On consideration, my two cents is that merely not getting a cop result doesn't seem worthy of a Miller-lite claim. It would have been simpler to just leave it and get seen as roleblocked or something.
It probably has to be true, since it sounds easily verified. Unless it is a trap, and the investigator won't make it out alive. That could technically be true, since the cop wouldn't get a result if they're dead?

We probably shouldn't get too distracted by it, and lose sight of the bigger pictures.
I think it’s funny that you say we shouldn’t get distracted by wam’s miller claim but it’s like the only thing you talked about in that post.

BoomFrog wrote: Unless you think the Mafia have no chat, which is possible this game, but quite cruel of LaserGuy if true.
Hahahaha......hmmm. Didn’t WoT2 have no mafia chat and it didn’t go to well? Perhaps chat with posting limits. Like Darkest Dungeon, or Poetry.

dimochka wrote: To be blunt i was thinking 7 town, 2 mafia, 1 sk, 1 survivor.
This might have been my starting guess with a different mod.

dimochka wrote:Also wam didn't claim miller (not exactly), so I don't see why this is being brought up.
I wasn’t the only one that brought this up. Interesting you mentioned it in my section though.

dimochka wrote:To be fair I don't remember playing against scum.bessie so need to find those games and read them. Anyone care to point me to them to save me time?
I don’t think you’ve ever played against scum me. You can try Texas Hold’em or Secret Santa 2017.

Vicarin wrote:@bessie: were we actually supposed to take that part of the setup speculation seriously? The belief in no Miller seemed significantly more serious than the rest of that post.
Well like yeah. Why do you think my setup spec wasn’t serious? I gave what I think is a reasonable setup spec and a guess as to how it might be balanced, and my reason a miller wouldn’t work. But dimochka was right when he said wam didn’t exactly claim miller. And you are wrong in your guess that wam might be a compulsive commuter. wam didn’t claim that an investigator would receive no result.

SuicideJunkie wrote:Bessie:
Even if it is random, the dice can still hate me. Laserguy is cool.
Depends on your perspective. You wanted to roll town this game, so the dice hate you. I rolled town for over two years and wanted to play as mafia because I was never mafia. The dice hated me. [You can read some pretty sad laments about the dice hating me because I rolled town for the nth time in a row in the Gojoe thread. ]

Sabrar wrote:@bessie: do you have issues with wam's content outside of Miller claim? You're basing a lot on being right about the 8-3 setup. What do you think about my reasoning why 8-2-1 is still possible?
With wam, the usual: light content, lack of reads or ordered list, but he gets some allowance because he announced he would be away until Friday. Setup 8-2-1 might be my second guess, for the same reason as you (LaserGuy found an interesting indie he wanted to add), but why not 7-2-1 (which would have been my guess for a 10 player game)? I know I keep saying I’m going to quit gaming the mod in public, but my unreliable gut is really liking 8-3. When I saw dimochka was being added I had assumed it was because someone dropped out.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Coming from anybody except bessie, I'd see this is a massive stretch for a FoS. Still quite a stretch even for her.
Really, you don’t see why I think 8-3 with a miller is unlikely? But I’ve thought about it more carefully, and wam didn’t really claim traditional miller.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: She knows full well that people can't read minds, and don't see things the way others do.
This remark really, strikes me as odd, like, really. Noting it for now.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I've not really thought much about the rest of your speculation. I focused more on the attack on a claimed player. The lover theory feels a bit random, and I'm not sure where it comes from, but I acknowledge that it's a WAG. Given how random it feels though, I don't really feel like there's any value to the rest of your theory following on from it. Indeed, I'm slightly suspicious how you seem to want to push that scum aren't trying to drive things. The rest of your setup comments (daychat, team size, half-mafia members etc) all makes reasonable sense.
My setup spec was a serious attempt at guessing the setup, and I am insulted by everyone who thought otherwise. I also find the resistance by some of the players in this game to even consider my setup spec... interesting. I am becoming even more convinced that I am on to something.

bessie wrote: Yep, that bizarre a setup speculation screams that dimochka knows a bit more than the average townie.
What about my bizarre setup spec? Maybe I know something more than the average townie.

SuicideJunkie wrote:
Bessie wrote:I don’t think there is a miller or a godfather, those roles would swing the balance too much to mafia.
What if the Godfather is actually a Town member? And who would suspect the miller of actually being in the Mafia? Genius!
I was throwing suspicion at the claimed miller for actually being a member of the mafia. That was the point. :roll:

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri May 10, 2019 2:45 am UTC

@bessie: well, ok, if you were being completely serious, then the part where the town lover doesn't know they're a lover would contradict rule 6 of the game specific rules, as that would constitute a hidden mechanic. So your particular speculation would require a town lover to know they are one but not with whom (which would be weird, to say the least), or they're a normal lover and know who to look out for if you're correct.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 10, 2019 5:26 am UTC

So I didn't expect to play with 2 PW-s this game...

SuicideJunkie wrote:
Vicarin wrote:Do you think SJ is acting in a measurably different way to his previous game?
Note: If anyone says no, they're clearly lying.
This is the equivalency of shouting "I'm Town!" from the rooftop. Why don't you explain this in more detail? In what ways is your play different this game?

SuicideJunkie wrote:What if the Godfather is actually a Town member?
They are not. Godfather is a quite specific role that makes no sense as Town.

SuicideJunkie wrote:Two mislynches before a loss is too few; since I'm probably going to be one of them, that only leaves one honest mislynch so 8-3 can't be right.
WTF is this logic? Do you believe the mod took into account that you'd be mislynched when creating the setup? How could he if alignments were distributed randomly?

BoomFrog wrote:Hmm, I hadn't noticed those two had the same problem.
Do you still maintain your opinion that it is a 'problem'? Why can't scummy people be found scummy? You defended wam in the last Secret Santa for being wam and we all know how that turned out.

BoomFrog wrote:Also, why would you choose alphabetical instead of say "people who pinged your scumdar"?
Because it's easy to sort by author...

bessie wrote:Didn’t WoT2 have no mafia chat and it didn’t go to well?
WoT2 was more bastard than that (we didn't even know who our buddy was) and I hope it won't get repeated again.

bessie wrote:but why not 7-2-1 (which would have been my guess for a 10 player game)? I know I keep saying I’m going to quit gaming the mod in public, but my unreliable gut is really liking 8-3. When I saw dimochka was being added I had assumed it was because someone dropped out.
Again I can't follow you. If you started from 7-2-1 and dimochka was later added with noone being dropped, how would you arrive at 8-3?

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I'm sure there are others who see things the way I do here.
I've learnt not to rely too hard on that. Can you explain why SuicideJunkie's opening post was from 'obvious scum'?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri May 10, 2019 8:11 am UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:"Random" voting me seems to have paid off in info somehow, rather than just chaff.
What info do you think I might have? And why haven't you answered my question about reason to vote for you yet?
Sabrar wrote:I've learnt not to rely too hard on that. Can you explain why SuicideJunkie's opening post was from 'obvious scum'?
I will, but not yet. I'll explain why I'm not explaining at the same time as answering, which will be before the end of the day.

bessie wrote:Really, you don’t see why I think 8-3 with a miller is unlikely? But I’ve thought about it more carefully, and wam didn’t really claim traditional miller.
Yes, really. I'm not following the logic. Miller is not a major detriment to town in anything aside from a small game. There are plenty of other cop targets available who will reveal useful results. It's not like a godfather, because any cops know not to target the miller.
bessie wrote:This remark really, strikes me as odd, like, really. Noting it for now.
It was intended to mirror your comment about puppy versus supercomputer brains, coupled with a degree of annoyance with your stretching FoS.

At work now. More this evening.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

wam

Postby wam » Fri May 10, 2019 8:25 am UTC

Yeah I dont see what boom us getting at. As sabrar did I normally do sort by author and sometimes dont get to the end.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 10, 2019 8:34 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I will, but not yet. I'll explain why I'm not explaining at the same time as answering, which will be before the end of the day.
I can live with that. I have something in mind but it feels weird.

wam

Postby wam » Fri May 10, 2019 9:09 am UTC

So not going to do an ordered town scum list but have grouped everyone. I'm not going to get a chance to do detule reads till sat eve/Sunday but this is where I am.

Town
Sabrar
Jimbob
Moody

Null
Bessi
Dimochka
Pw
Sj
Freeze

Scum
Boom
Vic

Boom theres not much there but I will try and write up a case. Fir anyone else it wouldn't be much.

Vic is another hunch that they have been keeping their head down compared to meta.

vote boomfrog

wam

Postby wam » Fri May 10, 2019 11:42 am UTC

Also whilst I am town reading sabrar I want to scum read him for town reading me.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:36 pm UTC

bessie wrote:And how is me being me AI?

Well, the one time recently I didn't read you as you, you were scum.
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4399717#p4399717

Re SJ, wishy-washy reads list is something I've been called out on before, so now you get it. If you're town, put your money where your mouth is.

5. ..a6

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri May 10, 2019 1:49 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:What info do you think I might have? And why haven't you answered my question about reason to vote for you yet?
Well, I'm not sure what you saw, but you seemed to be happy with the reactions it got from other people.

Sabrar wrote:WTF is this logic? Do you believe the mod took into account that you'd be mislynched when creating the setup? How could he if alignments were distributed randomly

It is actually very simple! Somebody had to have my role, and this time it was me.

Sabrar wrote:This is the equivalency of shouting "I'm Town!" from the rooftop. Why don't you explain this in more detail? In what ways is your play different this game?
I think it is obvious how it is different, but I'm pretty sure that original question is pointed at Not-Me and answering it for you would defeat the purpose.

Sabrar wrote:They are not. Godfather is a quite specific role that makes no sense as Town.

Or Laserguy is more of a genius than you think! It has certainly given me some evil awesome ideas. (If you want to claim that the idea was all mine, and I was merely inspired by Laserguy or Bessie, I can accept that.)

bessie wrote:Depends on your perspective.
It does. While being mislynched early would be less stressful for me, it would also mean a higher chance of losing.

Vicarin wrote:You want to actually commit to an ordering there? That's a lot of waffling with one scum read (me) and maybe 2 town reads if I'm generous?
Or the list that you put there your actual order, but I don't really think that matches the descriptions...
You also seem rather sensitive to people voting for you.

That's the best ordering I've got. The crayons aren't sharp here.
I do have a worry in the back that people rating me highly are scum, because if they are, then they know it is a safe bet to take credit for when I flip. Maybe that's too obvious for the veterans? But thinking too far that way lies madness. Having a common perspective on the game is a nice optimistic reasoning.

wam

Postby wam » Fri May 10, 2019 2:08 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:.
I do have a worry in the back that people rating me highly are scum, because if they are, then they know it is a safe bet to take credit for when I flip. Maybe that's too obvious for the veterans? But thinking too far that way lies madness. Having a common perspective on the game is a nice optimistic reasoning.

That is always a good scum tell. But obviously depends on you flipping town!! But has to weighed against players stubbornly sticking to their town reads as town!

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri May 10, 2019 2:17 pm UTC

@SJ: are you trying to suggest that anyone who got your role would be basically guaranteed to be lynched? That seems ridiculous.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Fri May 10, 2019 2:17 pm UTC

offsite done. I'm back, re-reading. activity should be reasonable the rest of this week and most of next week.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Return to “Mafia”