Julian assange arrested

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

solune
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

Julian assange arrested

Postby solune » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:23 pm UTC

Julian Assange: Wikileaks co-founder arrested in London

Julian Assange has been ejected from the Ecuador embassy and subsequently arrested by the English police.

The US justice department has finally revealed what they plan to charge him with: https://www.justice.gov/usao-edva/pr/wikileaks-founder-charged-computer-hacking-conspiracy

And yet, for 9 years that we've been talking about this story, I've yet to know: HAS ASSANGE EVER BEEN ON US SOIL ?
That's the core issue of this affair and I never see anyone talking about it. If you're not a US citizen and you're not in the USA why would the US law have any relevance to what you do.
I've only skimmed over the indictement but it doesn't assert anything about the location of the crime.

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6598
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby Thesh » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:44 pm UTC

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_McKinnon
Hacked government computers. The only reason he wasn't extradited was because of his mental health.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Kaplan
Ran a website in the UK which broke US law because the website was used by people in the US, arrested upon traveling to a US territory.

If the law is broken in both the US and the UK, you are likely to be extradited unless it would lead to the death penalty. If you only break US laws, then you are generally okay as long as you don't enter an American territory. On top of that, US laws can be ridiculous and phone and banking laws are broad enough that if your internet connection even goes through the United States while doing something that is against the law in the United States you could be subject to them.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

solune
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby solune » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:51 pm UTC

Thank you for the links. But is it then asserted that he was in the UK when he talked to Manning ?
From his wikipedia all I know is that he used to work in Australia before he founded wikileaks and that wikileaks is hosted in Sweden. But I don't know where Assange actually worked.

Thesh wrote:On top of that, US laws can be ridiculous and phone and banking laws are broad enough that if your internet connection even goes through the United States while doing something that is against the law in the United States you could be subject to them.

That's not what international law says though. It can work for companies that have a branch in the USA or otherwise need to interact with US institutions, but individuals are only subjects to the law of their own country

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6598
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby Thesh » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:06 pm UTC

Things get complicated once you get into things like the internet, and I don't think laws have responded well to technology (or reason in general).
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

User avatar
The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am UTC
Location: behind you

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby The Great Hippo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:07 pm UTC

solune wrote:That's not what international law says though. It can work for companies that have a branch in the USA or otherwise need to interact with US institutions, but individuals are only subjects to the law of their own country
While I don't know for certain, this sounds counter-intuitive to me for a couple of reasons. For starters, if this were literally true, all it would take is for me to find a country with loose regulations regarding what I can and can't send through the mail -- then I could send chemical mail-bombs to the US all I want.

It also seems really silly to get hung up on where I am physically located when I perform a crime. If I order a hit on a New Jersey guy while I'm in El Salvadore, does that mean I've legitimately not committed a crime in the US?

cphite
Posts: 1370
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby cphite » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:34 pm UTC

solune wrote:Julian Assange: Wikileaks co-founder arrested in London

Julian Assange has been ejected from the Ecuador embassy and subsequently arrested by the English police.

The US justice department has finally revealed what they plan to charge him with: https://www.justice.gov/usao-edva/pr/wikileaks-founder-charged-computer-hacking-conspiracy

And yet, for 9 years that we've been talking about this story, I've yet to know: HAS ASSANGE EVER BEEN ON US SOIL ?
That's the core issue of this affair and I never see anyone talking about it. If you're not a US citizen and you're not in the USA why would the US law have any relevance to what you do.
I've only skimmed over the indictement but it doesn't assert anything about the location of the crime.


If the activity is considered a crime in both countries, he can be extradited. So they will likely include some generic intrusion charges, to make sure that he qualifies.

His best bet at this point is to argue that he was acting as a journalist and also that he is being targeted politically by the US. It's a long shot... but at the very least it should keep him in the UK for a couple of years; especially if he can keep appealing to higher courts.

That doesn't necessarily mean he'll be free during that time... what he was actually arrested for by the UK was skipping out on bail on a sexual assault charge - even though that was eventually dropped.

ijuin
Posts: 1150
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:02 pm UTC

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby ijuin » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:42 pm UTC

Also, the location of the victim at the time when the crime was comitted can be construed as the location of the crime, regardless of the location of the criminal at the time (precedent would be from slander and libel cases being prosecuted at the victim’s home jurisdiction).

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3998
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby Dauric » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:13 pm UTC

Somewhat of an aside:
Spoiler:
Frontline: The Fantasy Sports Gamble gets in to jurisdiction over internet traffic with regards to sports betting, but the basics are probably applicable to jurisdiction over any internet activity deemed illegal by relevant authorities.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

teelo
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:50 pm UTC

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby teelo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:50 pm UTC

The investigation into the alleged rape, which he denied, was later dropped because he had evaded the arrest warrant. The Swedish Prosecution Authority has said it is now considering whether to resume the inquiry before the statute of limitations runs out in August 2020.
Since when are criminal charges subjected to a statute of limitations? Some weird Swedish thing?

Also, what happens if multiple countries want to extradite him? If Sweden resumes the extradition request, and, say, Australia steps in and says they want him back for whatever reason. How do they decide which country gets priority?

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1406
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby freezeblade » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:21 am UTC

teelo wrote:
The investigation into the alleged rape, which he denied, was later dropped because he had evaded the arrest warrant. The Swedish Prosecution Authority has said it is now considering whether to resume the inquiry before the statute of limitations runs out in August 2020.
Since when are criminal charges subjected to a statute of limitations? Some weird Swedish thing?

Also, what happens if multiple countries want to extradite him? If Sweden resumes the extradition request, and, say, Australia steps in and says they want him back for whatever reason. How do they decide which country gets priority?


The decision would likely be all politics, as it is plenty murky who would have precedence. Lots of in-fighting and deal-making between the countries, likely.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
sardia
Posts: 6813
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:39 am UTC

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby sardia » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:29 am UTC

freezeblade wrote:
teelo wrote:
The investigation into the alleged rape, which he denied, was later dropped because he had evaded the arrest warrant. The Swedish Prosecution Authority has said it is now considering whether to resume the inquiry before the statute of limitations runs out in August 2020.
Since when are criminal charges subjected to a statute of limitations? Some weird Swedish thing?

Also, what happens if multiple countries want to extradite him? If Sweden resumes the extradition request, and, say, Australia steps in and says they want him back for whatever reason. How do they decide which country gets priority?


The decision would likely be all politics, as it is plenty murky who would have precedence. Lots of in-fighting and deal-making between the countries, likely.

You follow extradition treaties, no? Then add political considerations on top of that.

elasto
Posts: 3778
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby elasto » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:34 am UTC

teelo wrote:Since when are criminal charges subjected to a statute of limitations? Some weird Swedish thing?

Does the US not have a statute of limitations?

In general it's to do with the accused's right to a fair trial: If the crime was committed too long a time ago, the accused may reasonably have no recollection of his whereabouts for an alibi, potential defence witnesses may likewise be unable to clearly recall specifics, physical evidence such as cctv recordings may be long gone etc. etc.

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 4060
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:38 am UTC

So, he finally wore out his welcome¹ at the Embassy, then? Regardless of what I think of the guy², I was wondering how this would end. Or at least move on to a new stage. There were worse ways of it ending, that won't happen now.

I'd been seeing a lot of comments about him recently, making me wonder if there were changes in the offing. It'd be interesting to track those sentiments back to find out where they'd originated, if possible. My instinct (based on the characters seen rumbling about this, ahead of time) is that it came via the (Q)Anon-type infrastructure (the "Deep un-State" madness), probably ultimately tipped off by Assange himself about his leaving/being pressured to leave.




¹ Or became less of a cause celebre than an increasingly ungrateful political embarrassment

² Basically, whatever the rights or wrongs of what he originally did, I think he started to believe the hype about himself while in 'isolation', and had long since gone down the rabbit-hole at least partly of his own making. Though being paranoid does not also preclude that They are after you, of course. Especially if you've done things that can't be ignored.

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6598
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby Thesh » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:46 am UTC

elasto wrote:
teelo wrote:Since when are criminal charges subjected to a statute of limitations? Some weird Swedish thing?

Does the US not have a statute of limitations?

Not if you are a terrorist!
https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/u- ... terrorist/
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

idonno
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:34 am UTC

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby idonno » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:35 am UTC

I'm pretty sure Assange would have had better odds if he had let himself get extradited when it first came up. His odds of getting a juror that won't convict him have to be a lot lower since he published the Democrats' emails.

cphite wrote:If the activity is considered a crime in both countries, he can be extradited.

In what country is hacking into government computers not considered a crime?

solune
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby solune » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:44 am UTC

idonno wrote:In what country is hacking into government computers not considered a crime?


He didn't hack into a government computer though. He 'conspired' to do so, as in, he told Manning that it would be really cool if she hacked the computer all by herself.
I mean, look at page 6 of the indictment. The only act that they manage to attribute to Assange is that he asked for a password after he had already received the file.

cphite
Posts: 1370
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby cphite » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:08 pm UTC

idonno wrote:I'm pretty sure Assange would have had better odds if he had let himself get extradited when it first came up. His odds of getting a juror that won't convict him have to be a lot lower since he published the Democrats' emails.

cphite wrote:If the activity is considered a crime in both countries, he can be extradited.

In what country is hacking into government computers not considered a crime?


I was making a general statement; the reason he can be extradited is because it's a crime in both countries.

He didn't hack into a government computer though. He 'conspired' to do so, as in, he told Manning that it would be really cool if she hacked the computer all by herself.


He convinced a person with access to hack into a government computer and took possession of the files she illegally obtained; so yeah, conspiracy. He didn't merely tell her it'd be really cool... he asked her to do it, requested she steal information for the purpose of unlawful distribution, and even offered assistance.

I mean, look at page 6 of the indictment. The only act that they manage to attribute to Assange is that he asked for a password after he had already received the file.


Knowingly accessing a classified system without authorization, knowingly receiving classified documents without authorization, distributing classified documents. That he didn't physically access the system isn't relevant from the courts perspective - he requested the information be stolen, he offered assistance with the password, he took possession of the stolen information, and distributed it.

His only hope at this point is to avoid extradition, because once he's on US soil he is in up to his neck. His best hope - and it's a very thin hope - is to convince the UK courts that he was acting as a journalist, and that the US is only seeking to prosecute for political reasons. That isn't going to work ultimately, but it will at least keep him in the UK until it fails. Best case scenario from his perspective is that he can drag it out for several years with appeals.

gd1
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:42 am UTC

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby gd1 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:45 pm UTC

Well, he did let us know about dragnet surveillance in the United States. That's probably why he's being hounded so much. Maybe they want to make an example of him.
There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

User avatar
sardia
Posts: 6813
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:39 am UTC

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby sardia » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:09 pm UTC

gd1 wrote:Well, he did let us know about dragnet surveillance in the United States. That's probably why he's being hounded so much. Maybe they want to make an example of him.

There's also the Collateral murder video that he edited in a way to make the US look worse. It wasn't necessary unless you had an axe to grind. There's so much bad stuff the US does, it was dumb to edit the video.
He also released stuff without hiding names and sources, which is a huge dick move.

I dunno what his motivations were when he started siding with Russia. Not sure if the two were related. (His allies claim assange has a either your with you or against you mentality). I don't totally buy that. At best WikiLeaks is a vicious attack dog. At worst, it's a NGO propaganda arm for Moscow.

User avatar
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy
Posts: 3726
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: where the wind takes me

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:17 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure receiving and distributing classified documents aren't actually crimes in the U.S. unless you work for the government or have a security clearance. It's that whole 'freedom of speech and of the press' thing.

Assange can only be charged for the illegal acts he allegedly committed in order to obtain the classified documents. I don't even think the fact that the alleged conspiracy was specifically to obtain classified documents is an aggravating factor (legally speaking, obviously it aggravated the U.S. government plenty)
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

User avatar
Crissa
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby Crissa » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:17 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I'm pretty sure receiving and distributing classified documents aren't actually crimes in the U.S. unless you work for the government or have a security clearance. It's that whole 'freedom of speech and of the press' thing.

No, they're totally illegal. You have to prove the people's interest in freedom of speech overrides the people's need for some things to remain secret. It's illegal to share someone's medical records without permission, for instance. There's a bunch of exceptions where one right is deemed more important than the other. Amendments aren't considered ordinal in importance.

Now, if he had merely received them and redacted private information, he wouldn't be liable. But that's not what either he nor the government contends. Which is why he's in hot water.

And skipping bail - even when it's retracted - is still a crime because 'the people' have an interest in making sure that privileged people don't escape prosecution.

-Crissa

DeGuerre
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:41 am UTC

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby DeGuerre » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:30 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:Also, the location of the victim at the time when the crime was comitted can be construed as the location of the crime, regardless of the location of the criminal at the time (precedent would be from slander and libel cases being prosecuted at the victim’s home jurisdiction).

It depends on the jurisdiction. There was a case in Australia a few decades ago where someone was shot. The person firing the gun was standing in one state and the person who was shot was across the border. And as you can guess, it had to be decided as to which state the case should be tried in.

The courts eventually found that the crime happened in the state where the shooter was standing.

User avatar
Quizatzhaderac
Posts: 1824
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:28 pm UTC
Location: Space Florida

Re: Julian assange arrested

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:23 pm UTC

The U.S., the U.K. and Australia have a large number of treaties, including mutual defense and and extradition treaties. These describe what people can be extradited for. Murder, rape, robbery and such are covered by most extradition treaties. Our tight alliances mean things espionage against the US are covered to.

The Great Hippo wrote:While I don't know for certain, this sounds counter-intuitive to me for a couple of reasons. For starters, if this were literally true, all it would take is for me to find a country with loose regulations regarding what I can and can't send through the mail -- then I could send chemical mail-bombs to the US all I want.
The USPS would not accept mail from such a country, as wouldn't most intermediaries. Participation in international trade requires agreeing to at least some basic agreements, namely agreeing that certain things are crimes.
elasto wrote:Does the US not have a statute of limitations?
We do, so I'm not really sure what Teelo's referring to. Although we don't have a blanket period for all crimes, and state laws make their own limits (or not in some cases).
idonno wrote:In what country is hacking into government computers not considered a crime?
There are many countries in which hacking a US computer isn't a crime.
EdgarJPublius wrote:Assange can only be charged for the illegal acts he allegedly committed in order to obtain the classified documents.
No, when you obtain something illegally you obtain no rights to it at all and are fully accountable for all of your actions with it.

In the case of the pentagon files, it was found that they weren't justifiably classified in the first place, thus canceling out the crime of leaking them, thus cancelling out the crime of publishing/disseminating them.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: commodorejohn, New User and 18 guests