Henry Montgomery denied parole

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Henry Montgomery denied parole

Postby ObsessoMom » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:45 pm UTC

Gotta say, I thought Henry Montgomery had already been released from prison. You know, his 2016 US Supreme Court ruling (Montgomery v. Louisiana) having gone his way and all.

Apparently not. The powers that be in Louisiana will never, never forgive a black teenager who kills a white cop, no matter what the US Supreme Court says.

AP: Board denies parole for inmate in landmark juvenile case

Mother Jones: A 72-Year-Old Juvenile Lifer Won a Landmark Supreme Court Ruling, But Louisiana Won’t Let Him Out of Prison

The Baton Rouge Advocate: After 55 years in prison, Baton Rouge man key to Supreme Court ruling again denied freedom

CorruptUser

Re: Henry Montgomery denied parole

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:09 am UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:The powers that be in Louisiana the entire US will never, never forgive a black teenager who kills a white cop, no matter what the US Supreme Court says.

Fixed that for you.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:59 pm UTC

The board must vote unanimously for parole to be granted, and one member, Brennan Kelsey, voted against Montgomery's parole

Kelsey is full of shit, he wanted the guy to complete more classes even though there's no more rehabilitation classes left.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:25 am UTC

As far as I understand it, Montgomery v Louisiana requires that the ban on life-without-parole sentencing be applied retroactively, reducing the sentences to life with possibility of parole, it doesn't require that the inmates actually be granted parole.

I'm not sure how I feel about parole to begin with. "20 years with parole after 7" seems less "you were good so we let you out 13 years early" and more "you were sentenced to 7 years but we can keep you an additional 13 years without trial because fuck you that's why".

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:48 pm UTC

Prison sentences in the U.S. are pretty arbitrary anyway.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Return to “News & Articles”