* Background: Played the game around late 90's to early 2000's on my dad's PC. Since i never finished it, decided to give it 2nd try but i can't recall it's name. Back then, it was very fun adventure game that i struggled a lot. Mainly because back then, i didn't understand English as much and i have 0 clue about the dialog in the game. Though, there were quite a bit of it in there (when triggering NPCs to talk with them). More info below.
* System: PC - MS-DOS (Norton Commander) with EGA (VGA/SVGA?) graphics.
* Year: Late 80's to mid-late 90's.
* Perspective: 2D-platform, side-scrolling, 3rd-person.
* Art style: Sprite-based, vibrant colors.
Protagonist: (Young) male human, equipped with sword (and shield?).
Starting point: Summer time, during day, small village with 4-6 houses. Each house was different kind of shop, e.g armory (weapons), bank (to store your currency). Also, there were several people (NPCs) standing outside with whom player char could talk.
Next step: Once player was done in village, game progressed by walking right until player char (automatically?) entered into cave system.
Cave system: You couldn't see the entire cave system at once, but there were paths going right, up and below. Only in the caves were enemies (some kind of monsters, e.g slugs?, snails? Plenty of different type.). Can't recall if enemies had range attack as well. Also, player char sword was automatically drawn once in the cave area. In village area, sword was holstered on the hip. Idea was to attack enemies, collect currency and find a way out of the maze.
Out of the cave system: After i managed that, player char entered into the exact village as starting village with a difference that entire village was inside a huge cavern. NPCs in village were same but shops had a lot more expensive weapons (and shields?) for sale. When walking left from the village, player char entered the same cave system as before. But when walking right (and through the village), player char entered into new cave system.
2nd cave system: Same idea as with 1st cave system but enemies were tougher this time.
Out of the 2nd cave system: Player entered into another village which was above ground. Identical to the starting village but with better items for sale than in 2nd (underground) village. Same thing as with 2nd village, walking left, you could backtrack until to the 1st village while walking right was to progress with game. Didn't get far in 3rd cave system since i died early on and was respawned back in the 1st village.
* Mood: Dark, but hopeful due to the player char taking on the quest.
* Genre: Adventure, Action, RPG, puzzle.
* Gameplay: Single-player (no CO-OP or MP that i can recall). Solo protagonist. Movement: left, right, jump, (crouch?), attack, (block?). Controls: keyboard.
Additional notes: Once player char died, all (or at least bulk of) money was lost and you respawned back in the 1st village. You could store your money in the bank at the village with some cost to avoid loosing it via dying. It's possible that player char also had magical abilities (e.g shooting fireball) and/or range attack (e.g bow) but i only used sword to attack enemies. Can't recall exactly but there could've been potions as well which you could drink to replenish your health. Also, you were able to upgrade your sword by buying better ones. Starter sword was white colored while at least one cyan colored sword was available early on to be bought.