Not sure, may I ask a question please? (regarding translating an XKCD comic)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Oliverfr

Not sure, may I ask a question please? (regarding translating an XKCD comic)

Postby Oliverfr » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:33 pm UTC

Hello,

First time visiting, so I hope I'm not missing a readme with the answer already, hello everyone,

I can't find an information, so I thought I'd come and ask in the forum.
Please, would you know if it is allowed to translate to our language an XKCD comic, and share it on the internet?
Googling showed me a looooong dead translation project of very old XKCD strips in my language, and the XKCD wiki mentioned possible localization in a distant future, while XKCDS's About page only mentions it is allowed to share an image, but nothing mentions editing/retouching/translating/resharing. So, for now, no ideas.

I'm interested in this one precisely, https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index. ... e_Timeline , the long-term Earth temperature timeline.

Some context, if it matters:

In my country (France), I still see plenty of idiots acting like ostriches and trying to bury their head in the sand whenever the topic of global warming is mentioned (and, yeah, to make it worse, I know, ostriches don't even do that actually). Just today, as newspaper headlines mentioned the last four years were the warmest since 1850, I've read multiple persons, supposedly functional adults, write this information was BS as earlier years had no recorded information etcetera.

I'm tempted, in those cases, to share with them the quite handy timeline by XKCD, but it's in English, and I suspect this will deter a good number of viewers from bracing themselves and finding the courage to read it. Especially if it's about making them change their minds (I don't like it either, heh).

My English might not be perfect but I'm confident I'd have no difficulty retouching the image in Photoshop to replace everything with a fully proper French counterpart. And then share the image left and right.

However, I have no clue, I don't know if it is allowed to translate those images to share them later.
My apologies to come and ask here, but would someone know if I can go ahead?

Thanks if someone knows and can tell!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Not sure, may I ask a question please? (regarding translating an XKCD comic)

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:05 am UTC

Bottom of the page is pretty explicit.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

This means you're free to copy and share these comics (but not to sell them). More details.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/

You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

As long as you're not selling it, you're fine.

Running web ads is something I'm not clear on.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “General”