2099: "Missal of Silos"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eutychus

2099: "Missal of Silos"

Postby Eutychus » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:56 pm UTC

Alt Text: Welcome to Wyoming, motto "We'd like to clarify that Cheyenne Mountain is in Colorado"

Randall should give a heads-up to Wikipedia before the articles he refers to become famous. It's overrun already.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

qvxb

Re: 2099: "Missal of Silos"

Postby qvxb » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:23 pm UTC

Also, remove Thermonuclear War from the games list.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:39 pm UTC

qvxb wrote:Also, remove Thermonuclear War from the games list.

The game in Wargames was Global Thermonuclear War.

Interesting thing I learned while checking my recollection: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -war-plans

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:16 pm UTC

Fuzzy string matching? I knew Google did shit like that from experience, but didn't know programmers had an official name for it. Try a search for "missal silos" (and spell it that way) and watch what comes up.

I hadn't heard the term "fuzzy string matching" until this comic. "Fuzzy logic", yeah. Apparently it's a big thing with devs:

https://medium.com/@julientregoat/an-in ... 8805cca2ab

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:46 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
qvxb wrote:Also, remove Thermonuclear War from the games list.

The game in Wargames was Global Thermonuclear War.

Even a regional thermonuclear war would be kind of bad, and the joke was about "fuzzy string matching"

(just trying to out pedantic your pedantry :twisted: )

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:13 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:Randall should give a heads-up to Wikipedia before the articles he refers to become famous. It's overrun already.

2/Jan/2017 - *added external link*
25/Jan/2017 - *added category*
3/Aug/2018 - *added image of something else that is older*
2/Sep/2018 - *removed the image of something else that is older*
16/Jan/2019
@17:07 - *clarified date is AD*
@17:22 - *Manual Of Style edit*
@17:23 - *deoverlinking edit*
@17:26 - *Manual Of Style edit*
@17:29 - *clarification edit*
@17:33 - *typo edit*
@17:33 - *redeoverlinked after clash*
@17:37 - *link style edit*
@17:41 - *citation questions*
@18:00 - *Boom! first mention of xkcd
@18:20 - *blank line removed*
@18:23 - *xkcd reverted out*
@18:42 - *clarification edit*
@19:18 - *historical description questioned*
@19:23 - *historical description reasserted ("dickhead"!)
@19:23 - *minor re-edit*
@19:25 - *tidying*
@19:42 - *geo-historical edit*
@19:51 - *text format change*
@20:02 - *text style change*
@20:35 - *Boom! second mention of xkcd*
@20:44 - *xkcd reverted out*
*19 further updates, to this moment with 'only' six additions and six reversions and the rest being side-editing of some form*

Funny timeline!

Quey

Postby Quey » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:03 pm UTC

I've used Google verbatim search as my default for years now because of Google's often overzealous fuzzy matching. It is especially annoying given the number of technologies and companies I have to search whose names are close misspellings of common words. It's really annoying that, by default, Google includes results for terms other than what you typed rather than just suggesting possible alternatives.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:48 pm UTC

Quey wrote:I've used Google verbatim search as my default for years now because of Google's often overzealous fuzzy matching. It is especially annoying given the number of technologies and companies I have to search whose names are close misspellings of common words. It's really annoying that, by default, Google includes results for terms other than what you typed rather than just suggesting possible alternatives.

I can't stand that, but it's not quite as bad as the fact that it shows results that are missing a specific search term! Like this:
missing.PNG

For whatever reason, with the kind of searches I use google for, I get this constantly and it really, really pisses me off. Many times the word that it is "missing" is absolutely integral to the search -- like in that screenshot.

speising

Postby speising » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:01 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:I can't stand that, but it's not quite as bad as the fact that it shows results that are missing a specific search term! Like this:
missing.PNG

For whatever reason, with the kind of searches I use google for, I get this constantly and it really, really pisses me off. Many times the word that it is "missing" is absolutely integral to the search -- like in that screenshot.

how do you get that "must include"? i haven't seen that yet. (not that it seems to help any)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:15 pm UTC

Indeed, is there really not an addon yet to force Google to include all search terms by default? I was looking for one the other day and got nowhere. It ought to be trivial to program, and something that a lot of people want.

You can of course manually put double quotes around every term in the search, "but" "typing" "like" "this" "all" "the" "time" "is" "laborious".

speising wrote:how do you get that "must include"? i haven't seen that yet. (not that it seems to help any)
You see links like that when Google is deliberately excluding words.

Farabor

Postby Farabor » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:47 pm UTC

I first encountered fuzzy logic when I ran across the following paper following a particular wiki-hole a month ago or so. I really think sometimes topologists/logicians are just making fun of us with their names....I mean really, a fuzzy quasi pseudo metric?

https://content.iospress.com/articles/i ... ca/inf1081

leafar

Postby leafar » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:56 pm UTC

To save me from fuzzy searching: is this the first direct reference to Spain in XKCD history? I know Spanish icons (such as Don Quixote have made an appearance.
Signed,
A Spaniard who had to learn about Silos at school.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:58 pm UTC

Ages ago, you could put plus and minus signs in front of words to guarantee they'd be in the results, or not in the results.

Now, that behaves badly, unless you get google to do it for you by scrolling to the bottom, picking "advanced search", and putting the words on the appropriate lines in that form.

And then it still doesn't work for google's sponsored ad links (it won't -exclude -the -minus -sign -terms -from -those -results. The Google must feed.)

Bing is the same.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:24 pm UTC

I only use the google if all other search engines have failed or if it's a fuzzy query that I can't reduce to keywords. Then again, all search engines* these days think that an unquoted keyword is not really a keyword, so I have to add double quotes anyway.

It seems like either xkcd is getting less popular or people have given up vandalizing wikipedia after a comic. The edit history hasn't even reached 50 entries since yesterday.

*Actually, this forum still does exact and all-words matches. Same goes for a lot of documentation sites (the ones that don't just incorporate a google box).

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:35 pm UTC

Yeah, I noticed my Google-Fu getting all haywire at one point when my practice of +/-ing, quoting "must be literally this" phrases, etc, seemed to no longer work as expected. It seems some people just didn't want/need/expect such simple but adaptable precision. (It wasn't even regexp-complicated!)

I suspect Googlewhacks are also history, though it's probably been a decade and a half since I last (fruitlessly) tried to find any.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:36 am UTC

Welcome to Wyoming, motto "We'd like to clarify that Cheyenne Mountain is in Colorado."

"We would also like to clarify that Devil's Tower is in Wyoming, and not South Dakota as some movies have it."
In all fairness...

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:12 am UTC

Isn't "missal" the feeling you have when you miss something?
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:30 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:SNIP

I suspect Googlewhacks are also history, though it's probably been a decade and a half since I last (fruitlessly) tried to find any.

Googlewhacks started becoming pretty near impossible to find after someone put up a page of all the ones they'd found, thus rapidly creating a repository of the words most likely to get a GW, which then always turned up in searches.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:26 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:
I hadn't heard the term "fuzzy string matching" until this comic.

That's what those Brane-y physicists are trying to fix.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:27 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Indeed, is there really not an addon yet to force Google to include all search terms by default? I was looking for one the other day and got nowhere. It ought to be trivial to program, and something that a lot of people want.

You can of course manually put double quotes around every term in the search, "but" "typing" "like" "this" "all" "the" "time" "is" "laborious".

There's an EMACS keystroke for that :mrgreen:
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:15 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:Ages ago, you could put plus and minus signs in front of words to guarantee they'd be in the results, or not in the results.

Now, that behaves badly, unless you get google to do it for you by scrolling to the bottom, picking "advanced search", and putting the words on the appropriate lines in that form.

And then it still doesn't work for google's sponsored ad links (it won't -exclude -the -minus -sign -terms -from -those -results. The Google must feed.)

Bing is the same.

Soupspoon wrote:Yeah, I noticed my Google-Fu getting all haywire at one point when my practice of +/-ing, quoting "must be literally this" phrases, etc, seemed to no longer work as expected. It seems some people just didn't want/need/expect such simple but adaptable precision. (It wasn't even regexp-complicated!)

Monkey blades but I miss that feature. I used to have very potent google-fu, oft' joking about having a co-ax belt, but the corporate sods went and took that power from me and everyone else who'd honed it. Is there a modern search engine around that still subscribes to the idea of simple tokens of precision?
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:56 pm UTC

I recently learned that there's a vaguely hat-shaped enemy in the Legend of Zelda series called "peahats", and decided to find out if any crafty people out there had made an actual hat based on one. It was then that I learned that search engines have no idea what to do with the string "peahat hat".
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:09 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:I recently learned that there's a vaguely hat-shaped enemy in the Legend of Zelda series called "peahats", and decided to find out if any crafty people out there had made an actual hat based on one. It was then that I learned that search engines have no idea what to do with the string "peahat hat".

Zounds, in what installment are they hat-like? The original peahats were player-sprite sized enemies said to be the ghosts of flowers, and named for the little green bit at the centre of their depiction. Later peahats, in Ocarina of Time, were massive flying murderthistles that rose up out of the ground and sliced up the ground with their whirling pointy bits (and did strangely little damage if they hit). The thought of wearing one of those on one's head features startling snapping sounds.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:29 pm UTC

Archgeek wrote:Zounds, in what installment are they hat-like?
vaguely hat shaped. like the ones in ocarina are conical, imagine the whirling blades as the brim.

I want a peahat hat.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:56 pm UTC

I don't see any reason why you couldn't make one into a hat. Or a brooch, or a pterodactyl.

WyomingPBS

Postby WyomingPBS » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:22 pm UTC

Welcome to Wyoming, motto "We'd like to clarify that Cheyenne Mountain is in Colorado"

Except that here in Cheyenne, we DO have an active missile base courtesy of F. E. Warren AFB. The comfort of living at what could potentially be Ground Zero is knowing that when it happens, I won't have to deal with all that pesky gradual death from fallout and radiation poisoning.
Disclaimer: No relation to the television network. I had these initials before they did, so there.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:15 am UTC

Weeks wrote:
Archgeek wrote:Zounds, in what installment are they hat-like?
vaguely hat shaped. like the ones in ocarina are conical, imagine the whirling blades as the brim.

You'd have to turn it upside down for that, wouldn't you? Either that or we have different ideas of what "brim" means.

This illustration makes them look pretty much like winter caps with beanie propellers on top.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”