2098: "Magnetic Pole"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

keithl

2098: "Magnetic Pole"

Postby keithl » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:49 pm UTC

Alt Text: People keep trying to come up with reasons that we should worry about the magnetic field collapsing or reversing, but honestly I think it's fine. Whatever minor problems it causes will be made up for by the mid-latitude auroras.

I worry that this will dissipate the inner van Allen belt before we get a chance to dissipate it ourselves, using thin sheets of orbiting material to change the pitch angle of all those energetic protons, and deflect them into the upper atmosphere at lower mid-latitudes. What a light show! Auroras are wasted over oceans, and at higher latitudes where it is too cold to spend all night watching them.

Archgeek

Re: 2098: "Magnetic Pole"

Postby Archgeek » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:29 pm UTC

I worry that one of the mini-poles that models indicate are liable to form during a reversal event (which go on for centuries, if I recall) will manifest under a major metropolitan area, funneling energetic particles near to surface level and increasing the rate of various cancers significantly.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:38 pm UTC

I was going to make a snide remark about the poles reversing but was beaten to the punch. I guess I'll blame the drifting on global warming.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:56 pm UTC

I imagine the aurora is specks of vaporized Dalek. And inside the Earth's core there's a heavily time-dilated Doctor fuzzing and reversing the polarity, to protect us from adapted Daleks coming through.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:13 pm UTC

Even during a field reversal there might be a residual field from the inner core that gives us some protection. This article a NatGeo speculates that core could be a "permanent magnet" of sorts ... like one giant crystal lattice with all the magnetic domains aligned:

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/core/

So the field reversals "recorded" on the magnetic tape of sea floor magma might have a constant bias underlying those reversals.

EDIT: I guess what it comes down to is "Despite the incontrovertible dipole flips in the geologic record, is there any evidence of increased radiation during those field transitions? It could show up as isotope spikes in ice cores ... the last flip was like 780,000 years ago, and the oldest ice cores go back 2.7 million years, but I couldn't find anything online correlating that idea.
Last edited by Heimhenge on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:24 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/core/

So the field reversals "recorded" on the magnetic tape of sea floor magma might have a constant bias underlying those reversals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Core

A disastrous film.

:P

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:50 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:Even during a field reversal there might be a residual field from the inner core that gives us some protection. This article a NatGeo speculates that core could be a "permanent magnet" of sorts ... like one giant crystal lattice with all the magnetic domains aligned:

Well I'm disappointed -- I was going to ask if the bias field meant the total field strength was greater in one polarity than the other, or if it was orthogonal; but then I read the article, which speculates nothing of the sort, asserting that the inner core's well above iron's Curie point and so cannot host a magnetic field of that type.

(Don't even get me started on how weird it is that a bunch of stationary dipoles pointing the same way can generate a macro-scale magnetic field in the first place...at least the dynamo field makes sense without the aid of tensors.)
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:07 am UTC

Archgeek wrote:
Heimhenge wrote:Even during a field reversal there might be a residual field from the inner core that gives us some protection. This article a NatGeo speculates that core could be a "permanent magnet" of sorts ... like one giant crystal lattice with all the magnetic domains aligned:

Well I'm disappointed -- I was going to ask if the bias field meant the total field strength was greater in one polarity than the other, or if it was orthogonal; but then I read the article, which speculates nothing of the sort, asserting that the inner core's well above iron's Curie point and so cannot host a magnetic field of that type.

(Don't even get me started on how weird it is that a bunch of stationary dipoles pointing the same way can generate a macro-scale magnetic field in the first place...at least the dynamo field makes sense without the aid of tensors.)

DOH! I cited the wrong article. My apologies. Been reading a lot about this. Curie point notwithstanding, there may be a ferromagnetic crystal there:

https://www.psc.edu/science/Cohen_Stix/cohen_stix.html

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:47 am UTC

Wandering magnetic pole - Lech Walesa on vacation.

Rrhain

Postby Rrhain » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:32 am UTC

Well, there is something we use regularly that is connected to the magnetic press: Airplane runways. Runway numbers are based upon the angle the runway makes with magnetic north. It helps the pilot know where the runway is.

When the poles shift, the runways have to be renumbered.

jonhaug

Postby jonhaug » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:43 am UTC

Am I the only one to worry for all the magnetoreceptive bacteria and pigeon babies who now cannot find their way back home (or wherever they are heading)? (What did happen to those last time?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetoreception

/Jon

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:47 pm UTC

qvxb wrote:Wandering magnetic pole - Lech Walesa on vacation.

Alexander Graham Kowalski - inventor of the telephone Pole.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:26 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:
Archgeek wrote:

DOH! I cited the wrong article. My apologies. Been reading a lot about this. Curie point notwithstanding, there may be a ferromagnetic crystal there:

Oh wow, aligned along the axis of rotation...so if there is a magnetic bias field, it's towards, oddly enough, true north or south. Neat.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:42 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:

Not to mention the honorable Sir Veigh, inventor of the Telephone Poll.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:50 pm UTC

jonhaug wrote:Am I the only one to worry for all the magnetoreceptive bacteria and pigeon babies who now cannot find their way back home (or wherever they are heading)? (What did happen to those last time?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetoreception

/Jon

Yeah, that's my main concern. Ordinarily, it probably wouldn't that be a big of a deal, but we're sort of in the middle of a massive die-off anyway, and this is likely to be one more stress on an already overstressed ecosystem.

One of the biggest concerns is probably honey bees (which are already having plenty of problems, thank you very much). It may not be a big issue there, as they probably only care about relative directions, rather than absolute, so as long as they have a magnetic field, they may be ok, no matter which direction it points. But bees are pretty critical to a lot of things, so any risk there is one we should be taking seriously.

I'm also concerned about salmon, which are (among other things) a whole lot tastier than pigeons (IMO). They're also pretty important to certain ecosystems, as they carry huge amounts of tasty protein inland from the sea.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:50 pm UTC

Archgeek wrote:
Heimhenge wrote:
Archgeek wrote:

Oh wow, aligned along the axis of rotation...so if there is a magnetic bias field, it's towards, oddly enough, true north or south. Neat.

Yeah, I thought that was totally sensible. The inner core had to be random at first, as it assembled during the "iron catastrophe". Then, over the eons, as the outer core churned above it, the inner core gradually picked up the average orientation of the outer core's field. Whenever the inner core actually solidified/crystallized, that would determine the polarity. Article wasn't clear about that detail though.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:19 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:
da Doctah wrote:

also, Fisher Price, inventor of the Telephone Pull...
(Hey, they're homophones where I come from...)
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:02 pm UTC

Got this far and nobody posted "Fucking Magnetic Poles: How Do They Work?"

Oh, well.

I'll award 2 DarkNets to anyone who can combine magnetic pole flip with a bobcat or a velociraptor
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:59 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:I'll award 2 DarkNets to anyone who can combine magnetic pole flip with a bobcat or a velociraptor

I got nuthin' on bobcats, but I know of no reason not to think that velociraptors use magnetoreception, so the shifting of the poles could affect their migratory patterns, putting some of our cities at risk.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:04 am UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:
da Doctah wrote:

Who served under Lord Duvall, master of ally Sir Veigh.

OK, this has gone on too far already.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Cougar Allen

Postby Cougar Allen » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:47 am UTC

Um ... so what happens to this single crystal permanent magnet when the Earth's magnetic field changes polarity? Does the whole inner core flip over? Does it flip polarity without physically moving? As far as I know the Earth's magnetic field has equal strength in both polarity modes.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:38 pm UTC

Cougar Allen wrote:Um ... so what happens to this single crystal permanent magnet when the Earth's magnetic field changes polarity? Does the whole inner core flip over? Does it flip polarity without physically moving? As far as I know the Earth's magnetic field has equal strength in both polarity modes.

The (second) article I cited doesn't say, and I didn't follow up with any of its references. But I can't imagine the inner core/crystal flipping polarity ... don't see a mechanism for that to happen. Perhaps it just exerts a permanent bias on the overall field, which is far from symmetric. See this interesting thread over on StackExchange:

https://earthscience.stackexchange.com/ ... y-stronger

That said, I expect the larger part of Earth's field is generated by the outer core dynamo. And I think the inner core's field would be at least partly shielded by the largely ferromagnetic outer core.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”