1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:34 pm UTC

Hi, Pfhorrest! This is so cool. I read the post in the other forum, and it was really inspirational. I have so many projects, including writing projects, that I've been putting off till I get my life sorted out, and of course that never happens. I'm so glad you finally just started doing your writing, and I'm looking forward to reading your story.

And I'm pope! First Time in a long while. Easy decree this time:

Start working on a project that you've been putting off, and/or tell us about a project you've been putting off.

For decree: I want to finish The Molpy Hunter. I have a few chapters written, and snippets of other chapters. The story keeps popping up in my head and nagging at me. ( I should link to it, but searching on my MTA is epsilon.)

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

The correct phone this Timmy

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:11 pm UTC

Quoted because goat:
Pfhorrest wrote:Since people in this thread presumably like big stories that unfold very slowly, and also seem generally supportive of community creative projects, I thought some of you might be interested in something I just posted about elsewhere on the forum.

TL;DR version: 20 years ago today I started writing an enormous story, this year I finally started putting actual effort into it, and now it's almost kinda-sorta readable and I'd love it if anyone would acknowledge the fact that it even exists. It's called The Chronicles of Quelouva.

That looks like a fun read, I'll have to look it up sometime when I'm not so busy.
*reads decree*
I mean, I'll have to look that up tonight as soon as I get off work.

New OtherComic.

KXA: answer the phone

You answer the phone. A conversation starts.
KXA: Yes?
KXA: Yes, but after the city. We're in the car already.
KXA: So maybe we should meet you first and the city later?
FTH: What? no. Very bad idea.
KXA: I'm interested, What's an object generator?
KXA: "there"?
KXA: He says it's a bad idea. I'll try to convince him.
KXA: Luckily, I don't have to convince you.
KXA: Thanks, see you soon.

The full conversation:
Spoiler:
KXA: Yes?
B: hello, yyyyyym, I wanted to tell something. I heard you wanted to wisit me today later,
KXA: Yes, but after the city. We're in the car already.
B: So, what I wanted to tell is: No need to hurry. If you arrive later, that's even better. I'm outside now. I'll be looking for an "object generator".
KXA: So maybe we should meet you first and the city later?
FTH: What? no. Very bad idea.
B: Why?
KXA: I'm interested, What's an object generator?
B: No idea. I've never seen one. And also it says it was there in the 80s and not now.
KXA: "there"?
B: near the gate at the road to nowhere. But what will your hacker think of this?
KXA: He says it's a bad idea. I'll try to convince him.
B: Because it is.
KXA: Luckily, I don't have to convince you.
B: Do what you want. Have a nice trip and watch out for batmans.
KXA: Thanks, see you soon.
B: Bye.
Wait For It.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:54 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:I don't know how often this has already been said, but if there was a best avatar contest, you would win.
So would rule110, though, so maybe it would end in a tie.

I don't remember it being ever said, so thanks! My original avatar was just a still image of the crashed TARDIS/DeLorean which isn't my original work. You can find it in seaish sizes all over the internet. After some Time, I did the animation though.

And I just realized that I had originally made the animation in high resolution but never exported it from the source file as such.
Here it is, if you're interested:
Spoiler:
(click through for original resolution)

Pfhorrest wrote:Since people in this thread presumably like big stories that unfold very slowly, and also seem generally supportive of community creative projects, I thought some of you might be interested in something I just posted about elsewhere on the forum.

For a second, I thought you were going to mention Half-Life. The third episode was unfolding so slowly that it never unfolded. Sorry, I'm still a little bit sad about it.

If you haven't heard the news yet: Half-Life 3 confirmed - half-dead. The lead writer of the series who no longer works for Valve released a summary of the plot on his blog today. And for the uninitiated - the Half-Life game series ended with a massive cliffhanger in its last installment "Half-Life 2: Episode 2" which was released almost 10 years ago. Episode 3 was announced at that time but that was also basically the last piece of information about it ever released since. And the fans kept waiting for it and waiting for it... And now they are already joining forces to create the game themselves based on the released plot-summary.

RSIR:
Spoiler:
The redundant image is broken in an interesting way
Tardis-vs-DeLorean-HD.gif
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:52 pm UTC

Thank you imjb and GnomeAnne (always loved your name, BTW). Hope you enjoy it when you get the chance.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Should this be in the other thread?

Postby GnomeAnne » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:55 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Thank you imjb and GnomeAnne (always loved your name, BTW). Hope you enjoy it when you get the chance.

Thanks.
I read the introduction, and when I clicked 'more info' from the canonical first story it sent me to Episode2 of 2/2/2/2, should I start there, or at Episode 1 of 2/2/2/2?
(Figured it out myself, it's ep.2)
If you want to dive right into the story, start here and click next narratively after reading each page. I would recommend reading Pfhorrest's intro post first, though.

A navigation bar below the text as well as above it would make for slightly better flow when reading.

While Amitabha and the main ship remain docked with the Eye in the outer reaches of the solar system, in superluminal communication with Sol through the ansible link at its core
This and a few other places should maybe say star system instead of solar system to avoid momentary confusion regarding who is where.
Wait For It.

Pfhorrest

Re: Should this be in the other thread?

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:02 am UTC

This probably should go in the other thread since I don't want to hijack this thread, but I also shouldn't post in the other thread before anybody else does because then that would be double-posting so I'll wait for someone else to move the conversation there.

GnomeAnne wrote:I read the introduction, and when I clicked 'more info' from the canonical first story it sent me to Episode2 of 2/2/2/2, should I start there, or at Episode 1 of 2/2/2/2?
(Figured it out myself, it's ep.2)

Yep. I need to update that introductory outline to reflect some changes that have happened as I've been working deeper and deeper (including starting at the Episode level rather than the Part level as I had planned when I wrote that), and I plan to go back and do so once I have the one-sentence summary outlines completed. (You might note that a few of the higher-level outlines, so far just /1/, /2/, /3/, /1/1/, /1/2/, /2/1/, /2/2/, /3/1/, and /3/2/, have nice short <ol>-formatted one-sentence summaries of their contents, but /1/3/, /2/3/, /3/3/, and everything deeper than two levels deep, all have sometimes-enormous paragraphs of text instead; I'm slowly going through behind myself and cleaning all of that up, leaving only the five-levels-deep Episodes with actual, reasonably-sized, paragraphs of text).

If you want to dive right into the story, start here and click next narratively after reading each page. I would recommend reading Pfhorrest's intro post first, though.

Do you think I need to do something to make it more obvious that people should start there? I do worry sometimes that that "First Episode" link at the very top might be too easy to gloss over. Should I maybe put the narrative-order outline (which will be shorter once it's redone) above the saga-level outline that's currently the first thing with links?

ETA: I realized I was much closer to having one-sentence summaries enough to rewrite the outline than I thought, so I just did that tonight, and removed the saga-level outline entirely (replacing it, kinda, with inline links in prose throughout the intro), so the first thing people get to is a narrative-order outline, down to the episode level, that's more concise and easier to read now.

A navigation bar below the text as well as above it would make for slightly better flow when reading.

I have considered doing that, though it'd be a little hard to structure into the layout of the site. Do you think maybe a single link to just the next episode in narrative order would suffice? E.g. at the bottom of Beyond the Eye of Chaos: Part 2, Episode 2, after the last paragraph, have just a one-sentence <p>:

"Continue to Darak Meij: Part 2, Episode 2"

Also I'm feeling kind of awkward about having things named with numbers being canonically ordered out of sequence with those numbers (e.g. your confusion about whether Beyond p2e2 is really the "first" episode above). Do you think it's necessary to come up with prosaic names for every episode to fix that? (That's a lot of names to come up with). Or maybe some shorter, more obscure and easily-overlooked numbering scheme like "IIb" instead of "Part 2, Episode 2" might help? Or maybe nothing's needed at all and I'm just worrying too much?

While Amitabha and the main ship remain docked with the Eye in the outer reaches of the solar system, in superluminal communication with Sol through the ansible link at its core
This and a few other places should maybe say star system instead of solar system to avoid momentary confusion regarding who is where.

That's a good idea. I just changed that globally except when referring to the actual Sol star system.

Thanks for your feedback!

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:21 pm UTC

I copied my post there.

Most active forum:
Individual XKCD Comic Threads
(385 Posts / 99.74% of your posts)

:(
It's not 100% anymore.
Wait For It.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:04 pm UTC

Thanks! I'll copy my reply over there too.

karhell

Postby karhell » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:29 am UTC

FTH: What exactly made you want to change your plans?
KXA: He is on a search for object generators.
FTH: ???
KXA: Or something like that. This could be interesting.
FTH: It's a better use of our time to do our business first and then have the rest of the day to talk about generators and stuff. I'm not changing our plans unless there is a rational reason to do it.
KXA: Ok, so let's do it quickly,
FTH: That's the plan.

For decree, I've been putting off drawing the OTTDnD comic, because I suck at architecture, and the first pages I have planned are almost nothing but architecture. So right now I'm stuck in a loop of trying to improve my building-drawing skills, trying that first page again, finding that I'm still no good at it, going back to practise, rinse and repeat :oops:
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:54 am UTC

I would like to share something that was written on the dnd chat:
balthasar_s wrote: Another thing (I think I did not tell this before but I'm not sure):
The dream (or at least the part I remembered) started with some tall grass. There was a voice being heard. It was a TV narrator. And the "view" moved forward through the tall grass. I started listening to the voice. It was talking about the very same grass that I was seeing. It was talking something about great opportunities and benefits related to that grass, and how cool it is.
The view was still moving forward but now it was me walking slowly through it. but not with standing vertically. I was much lower to be hidden it the grass, it was yellow, the head a bit below the grass level. At some point I reached the edge.
I saw a van standing next to a road. I walked out of the grass and stood up. I realised that I'm standing at the pavement very close to my house. I started walking towards the house, I could still hear the (boring) voice but I was not listening to it any more.
I entered the house and I met my mother there. I walked into the living room and then I noticed that the voice is coming from a tv in the living room.
but for son reason it was a tv that we never had, smaller and located on a chair in the middle of the room. It was showing the grass field from above now.
I talked with my mom for some time. I was getting the feeling that something is very wrong. I looked at the tv again.
It was showing the inside of the same living room we were standing in. But it was not the same. The house in tv looked abandoned and everything was destroyed and lying around on the floor. The voice told something about wasted opportunities.
I got a little scared. I'm standing in a room, and in the tv I'm seing a destroyed version of the same room.
she suggested (also a bit afraid) that maybe it's a prediction or something.
But soon we concluded that it coudn't be.
In the destroyed room there was some furniture that we no longer had, it was replaced some years ago. So it must be showing the past. But that made no sense.
Some more thinking.
We came to the conclusion that we are seeing an alternate reality. A reality in which my parents didn't decide (some years ago) to start their own business but instead invested a lot of money in this stupid grass.
Which turned out to be a bad idea.
This calmed me down for a while. It also made me proud of my parents for their decisions. But not for long.
Suddenly I got very afraid.
What if that reality we're seing in that tv is the real one?
I got afraid that this reality i'm currently in is a wrong one and in any moment I could wake up to the actual reality, the bad one, after years of believing that this is the real world and getting used to it.
This feeling was strong enough to wake me up. It was too early to get up. I spent some more time in bed. With my thoughts coming back to it multiple times.
[...]
I was still feeling a bit epsilonish even later in the morning when I was doing some normal day stuff.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:03 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:21 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:New OtherComic.

I think we're missing the full picture:

RSIR
Spoiler:
expanded_color_models.png
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 am UTC

Bravo taixzo! And also NoMouse - wingish RELATED holiday pix, including the one with the small's new contribution to the big. And karhell too - that is true truth you've illustrated!

Pfhorrest - I've started your story (well, I don't know if "started" is the right word, since there isn't really a "start"); I'm going through the narrative path and enjoying it quite muchly. You were asking for numbering suggestions; it's not a bad idea to have several different numbering schemes; the one I have in mind would be a straight sequence in the narrative path: N1, N2, N3... so that I can easily find my place if my browser crashes or I fatfinger something, or want to pick it up from another browser in another location. I like stories that put seemingly unrelated things out there, and then slowly the reader figures out the relationships between them. :)

As to the outside OTTer meetups... I think that's more than cool. I can understand the sense of missing out on something, since "other everythings" (Thanks Baltimore!) are not shared with this "everything", but all of life is like that. Every one of us has lots of life that we aren't sharing here; it would be impossible to do so even if we wanted to. But that we share what we share here makes us all molpier. The droplets that make up the sea aren't always in the sea; sometimes they are in the river, or in the air, but they are always sharing with other droplets. If that didn't happen, there would be no river, and there would be no clouds to form the sea.

I wonder whatever happened to
Febrion wrote:The basement is resilient, but I'm breaking free just long enough to say I love all of you.
Febrion. Does the basement get wifi? Are there underground rivers? They connect to the sea also. :)

Hope addams is ok too. Anybody hear lately?

I managed to get myself to Kentucky to see the totality of the skycircle's obliteration. Twas awefulsomlywingish, and I got to see shadow bands too! It was my first eclipse, and I concur that anything less than 100% is like flying to an island with less that 100% of the gas you need to get there.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in... there were quite a few other things I wanted to comment on, but CRS is strong with this one.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:26 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Febrion wrote:The basement is resilient, but I'm breaking free just long enough to say I love all of you.
Febrion. Does the basement get wifi? Are there underground rivers? They connect to the sea also. :)

I've been worried about Febrion too. My last PM has gone unread, since August 8th.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:05 am UTC

ucim wrote:Pfhorrest - I've started your story (well, I don't know if "started" is the right word, since there isn't really a "start"); I'm going through the narrative path and enjoying it quite muchly. You were asking for numbering suggestions; it's not a bad idea to have several different numbering schemes; the one I have in mind would be a straight sequence in the narrative path: N1, N2, N3... so that I can easily find my place if my browser crashes or I fatfinger something, or want to pick it up from another browser in another location. I like stories that put seemingly unrelated things out there, and then slowly the reader figures out the relationships between them. :)

I'm glad you're enjoying it, and that you like the concept it's organized around.

I also like your suggestion of some kind of tag to mark the narrative order. Since I'm tentatively structuring it as though it's to be a television show, grouped into "Seasons" and such, I think I might put a parenthetical "sXeYY" somewhere in the title of each episode, maybe something like:

"The Chronicles of Quelouva (s5e14): Pantheon Exodus: Part 2, Episode 2".

Although then "Episode" is kind of overloaded. I'm not sure what other word I would replace it with. Maybe just something like "Part 2.2" instead (leaving "Episode" just implied in the "e14")?

Hope addams is ok too. Anybody hear lately?

I was wondering about her recently too. Hope to hear she's doing alright.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:32 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote: maybe something like:
As long as the next one would be either s5e15 or s6e1, that would work. Better might be 5-14 (without the 's' and 'e', but preserving the title), as that emphasizes the numerical part, which is what is important for narilocation. But again, if you have several methods of numbering, you will need to identify the method. Formatting might be sufficient - if nothing else has the format of x-y then 5-14 would be understood as a narrative number, as opposed to a story designation.

"The Chronicles of Quelouva (s5e14): Pantheon Exodus: Part 2, Episode 2" could become
"5-14: The Chronicles of Quelouva: Pantheon Exodus: Part 2.2"

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:02 pm UTC

Lots of stuff I'd want to reply to, but no Tim for for a ketchupfest. Come to think of it, that fulfills the decree...

KXA: Are all the papers filled and prepared?
FTH: I should be asking you this.
KXA: Why?
FTH: Because you took them.
KXA: What? No. I didn't. I thought you did.
FTH: I did not.
KXA: So he still has all the papers...
FTH: I should have been more careful what I wish for. I asked for a rational reason and I got one. Now we have to visit him first.

What an unexpected change.

You still have some time to spend in the car. What will you do?
Reading is no longer an option. You remembered that reading in the car can make you feel sick.

Who is the "he" they are talking about? Still B?
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:17 pm UTC

What an epsilon dream, b! Very creepy. I've had that happen, where a dream haunts you through the day.

svenman wrote:Who is the "he" they are talking about? Still B?

Yes, must be, based on the previous dialogue:

bsta wrote:FTH: What exactly made you want to change your plans?
KXA: He is on a search for object generators.
FTH: ???
KXA: Or something like that. This could be interesting.
FTH: It's a better use of our time to do our business first and then have the rest of the day to talk about generators and stuff. I'm not changing our plans unless there is a rational reason to do it.

Steakish ottification, taixzo!

OK, I have a confession to make. Despite the many, many TImes I've looked at NoMouse's avatar, I never noticed that the DeLorean actually runs into the Tardis. I thought it was just pulling up to it. :oops: Then I saw it in high-rez, and then I FINALLY figured out what was going on. That is ch*rpin' hilarious. And I either need better glasses, or to be more observant. :roll:

SBN wrote:
ucim wrote:

I've been worried about Febrion too. My last PM has gone unread, since August 8th.

How funny that we've all been thinking about Febrion. Maybe we'll summon him. I also sent him a PM, on August 24, that's gone unread. :(

I have heard from addams. I sent her a text to see if she got to see the eclipse. She said she saw the eclipse, and also the worst traffic jam she's ever seen. :) She's sent me pictures of her new raftcastle. It has a deck where she can do some gardening, and lots of trees around, so it looks like a good place for her.

ucim wrote:As to the outside OTTer meetups... I think that's more than cool. I can understand the sense of missing out on something, since "other everythings" (Thanks Baltimore!) are not shared with this "everything", but all of life is like that. Every one of us has lots of life that we aren't sharing here; it would be impossible to do so even if we wanted to. But that we share what we share here makes us all molpier. The droplets that make up the sea aren't always in the sea; sometimes they are in the river, or in the air, but they are always sharing with other droplets. If that didn't happen, there would be no river, and there would be no clouds to form the sea.

Yes, of course. When I wrote that post, I had just panicked that people would post there and they would stop posting here, and our needle-pulled thing would be lost. Of course, that hasn't happened, but it was just a worry that popped into my head at the Tim. As my BF can attest, I am a first-class worrier, from a long line of worriers, so sometimes my brain just starts worrying about silly things.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:21 pm UTC

Thanks for the addams update. How's her rent situation?
lmjb1964 wrote: As my BF can attest, I am a first-class worrier, from a long line of worriers

Speaking of which, how's your dad?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:38 am UTC

Thanks for asking. Two days ago he wasn't eating and his speak was garbled, and I expected the worst. But then yesterday he was better. Still, he is so frail and so weak. He has very little appetite, because nothing tastes good. Also, he has to eat nectar-thick food since he has trouble swallowing, and it's not so appetizing. He's been diagnosed with Parkinson's, although he doesn't believe he has it, and I guess the disease just wears you out. He kept saying he wasn't sure it was worth trying anymore. He's always tended to be somewhat negative, and I think it's just compounded now with his condition. I didn't think he was going to live long enough to see him on this last trip, so I'm really grateful that I got to spend some time with him. But when I said goodbye to go home, I did so knowing that it was probably the last time I would see him. It's hard being on the other side of the country from him.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:48 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
svenman wrote:Who is the "he" they are talking about? Still B?

Yes, must be, based on the previous dialogue:
The current dialogue also suggests that.

Coincidence: Before 4 wrote:FTH: you mean, there is a web site, you enter it and start using coincidence?
BFTF: yes
FTH: Have you thought what happens when it's discovered by trolls?
FTH: or neokids?
BFTF: not really
the "neokids" could require some explanation.
In Poland "Neostrada" was the first broadband Internet access sold by Telekomunikacja Polska.
It became popular and suddenly a lot of children got access to the internet for the first time.
Suddenly, on the internet there appeared many children who were new and unfamiliar with the internet and didn't know how to behave.
People started calling them "dzieci neostrady" (children of neostrada) or in short "dzieci neo" (neokids).
This term was applied to not only children but generally to new people who didn't know how to behave.
It is not used much, any more.
Now FTH's line should make more sense, I hope.
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:34 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:50 pm UTC

Wow, "villain" in the Othercomic title totally did not look like a real word. I had to look it up to make sure it was spelled right.

Thanks for the neokids explanation, balthesaurus.I know I was wondering about that, but didn't ask at the Time.

Computery stuff question:
Spoiler:
I have some old family photos, most from the 1800s, that I've been scanning. I would like to put them online somewhere to share them with my extended family. What are some good photo-sharing sites that are easy to use and aren't annoying/invasive/expensive? I could put them up on ancestry.com, and may at some point, but I was looking for other options.

I knowbalthadictionary would probably have been more appropriate, but "thesaurus" just worked so nicely with b's name. :) Maybe

Maybeusing footnotes will help to summon Febrion.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:41 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Computery stuff question:
Spoiler:
I have some old family photos, most from the 1800s, that I've been scanning. I would like to put them online somewhere to share them with my extended family. What are some good photo-sharing sites that are easy to use and aren't annoying/invasive/expensive? I could put them up on ancestry.com, and may at some point, but I was looking for other options.

Not specifically a photo-sharing site, but we have a spokt.com site our family uses. (Used to use myfamily.com, which was part of ancestry.com, but they got out of that part of the business.) We pay ~$30 per year to host it, and it is easy for all members to access photos, notes, etc.

Some Ways to Time

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:11 am UTC

Hello all OTTers!
I'm back for a short-frame or so.

Two wip-ends ago I went with a couple of cousins up to Minnesota for a sad-happy Time [we went to scatter an aunt's and a cousin's ashes at the family farm (the sad part0 and got to hang out with relatives from all over, that I haven't seen in mumble, mumble decad year dips {yes, dips} (the happy part)].

However I was reminded of you folks because of a billboard I saw a couple of Times {didn't get pics, so had to get this from their site.} Of course I've probably been ninja'd on this. After all; I'm sure that Otter Tail County, Minnesota has got to have been mentioned here before][... Let alone this current ad campaign.

There's evidently a test you can take [] to learn more about your inner OTTself. And even some videos to look at (Episode 1, Episode 2).
I don't know of any close-by castles, but still: "OTTcon The Next" in OTTer Tail County??????

And while finding that; I also saw this:
Spoiler:
But Wait (for it); is that a punsaw I hear in the distance? Should I be worried?

Spoiler:
inner-otter-feature.jpg

cute_otter.png

[] I haven't seen it.
][if not, we're slipping

Wait Well.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:28 pm UTC

Hi, pelrigg! Good to see you. I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt and your cousin, but I'm glad that the *ndishness was tempered by molpish timse spent with family.

I don't know if Otter Tail County has been mentioned before, so thanks for setting us straight. I like the idea of OTTCon II In Otter Tail County. Seems only natural.

Hey, they have an OTTer map too, though not as treeish as the one Lu made. Lots of semencancercoffeebaconbabiesice in the area, including one lake called Dead Lake. Presumably (hopefully) it's not dead due to leaking containers of radioactive material.

Edited for typos.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:29 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:...including one lake called Dead Lake. Presumably (hopefully) it's not dead due to leaking containers of radioactive material.
Well, we need somewhere for Neil Boekend to live, don't we?

Jose

svenman

Postby svenman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:14 pm UTC

How's Neil doing these days, actually? We haven't seen him around in a while but the last I remember reading about him was some rather unmolpish health news.

And endish to read about lmjb1964's dad and about pelrigg's aunt and cousin. The molpishest of thoughts with you two and with your families.

New OTTercomic:
Play a game

KXA: How about we played a game?
FTH: What kind of game do you have in mind that's playable while driving?
KXA: The storypuzzle game, where we build silly worlds by aligning words.
FTH: The wordomino thing.
KXA: Yes.
FTH: Ok. Will you start?
KXA: I don't want to start today.
FTH: I don't want to start either.
KXA: So, we have a conflict, then.

Get over yourself, one of you two, or pick something else to play, then.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:46 pm UTC

Scrabble rules: both of you pick a random word, whoever is first alphabetically goes first.

Oh, wait, if you both want to not go first you'll both pick "Zyzzyva" and we're back to the same conundrum.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:42 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote: maybe something like:
As long as the next one would be either s5e15 or s6e1, that would work. Better might be 5-14 (without the 's' and 'e', but preserving the title), as that emphasizes the numerical part, which is what is important for narilocation. But again, if you have several methods of numbering, you will need to identify the method. Formatting might be sufficient - if nothing else has the format of x-y then 5-14 would be understood as a narrative number, as opposed to a story designation.

"The Chronicles of Quelouva (s5e14): Pantheon Exodus: Part 2, Episode 2" could become
"5-14: The Chronicles of Quelouva: Pantheon Exodus: Part 2.2"

Jose

That's a good suggestion.

Sorry I haven't gotten around to implementing that or any of the other stuff I planned on doing this week, my whole life just suddenly imploded on me and I'm not even sure I will have the strength to continue writing this year unless it somehow un-implodes soon.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:03 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Sorry I haven't gotten around to implementing that or any of the other stuff I planned on doing this week, my whole life just suddenly imploded on me and I'm not even sure I will have the strength to continue writing this year unless it somehow un-implodes soon.

Wishing you rapid un-implosion. Anything we can do to help?

Some Ways to Time

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:45 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Sorry I haven't gotten around to implementing that or any of the other stuff I planned on doing this week, my whole life just suddenly imploded on me and I'm not even sure I will have the strength to continue writing this year unless it somehow un-implodes soon.

Wishing you rapid un-implosion. Anything we can do to help?
What if we exploded him? Maybe that would help? :)

No rush on the writing stuff... we can wait for it. It's what we do.

For the other stuff, let us know if there's some way we can be of support or assistance, even if it's only Unicode commiseration. Keep in mind the adages under Tribulation and Visitation Ja; trite though it may seem, you can draw strength from community. Keep us posted, and know we're here for you to the extent that we can assist.

Jose

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:59 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:24 pm UTC

Apparently, forum emails are mustarded up.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=123231
This impacts the basement. Summoning Circles will need stronger mojo. Just a heads-up.

Do the mirrors send out emails?

Kieryn's site is also mustarded. While we're waiting for the penguins, they are also waiting for it.

Jose

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:39 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Do the mirrors send out emails?
No.
They used to send PMs.
(when a mustardtime otherthread post failed to be posted to the real ott)
they no longer do this.
BSTA

fluffysheap

Postby fluffysheap » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:17 pm UTC

The DeLorean has the engine in the rear, so if it crashed, there wouldn't be any steam/smoke coming from it.

(if you can't be pedantic here, where can you?)

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:58 pm UTC

But that DeLorean just traveled in Time, here's what it looks like after that even without crashing:

ETA: Oh, hey, this was my 700th post. That's not a bad picture to celebrate it with.
Last edited by NoMouse on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:17 pm UTC

Crashing is what these two also should avoid:

Resolve the conflict

FTH: Let's resolve this like civilised people.
KXA: And then sign a multi-page agreement.
FTH: And preserve it for future generations.
KXA: Hang it on a wall behind three layers of glass.
FTH: Sell tickets for people to see it.
KXA: Children can enter for free.
FTH: So, how do we proceed?

Rock, paper, scissors. Just keep one hand on the wheel, fth.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:39 pm UTC

I love the way balthaframe people are always (or often) smiling. Hopefully not the kind of smiling rumored to have happened in Crete (in "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum"

Jose

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:46 am UTC

ucim wrote:I love the way balthaframe people are always (or often) smiling.
smiling is relevant in the the latest frame, where they are making jokes about their "inability" to start a game (instead of actually starting it).
BSTA

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”