1803: "Location Reviews"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Copper Bezel

1803: "Location Reviews"

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:01 pm UTC

Title text: "Google and Yelp keep deleting my scathing reviews of the Mariana Trench, the Chernobyl reactor core, the jet stream, and the equator."

I feel like this is a phenomenon I should have been aware of previously, and also that the joke is a bit lost for me as a result. Time for messing around with Google Maps.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

RichterCa

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Postby RichterCa » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:10 pm UTC

I work for a courthouse, and often have to look up prisons on google to get an address. It's funny to see reviews on prisons. Some are serious: "Really helped me get my life back on track, rehab and counseling were great!" And some are sarcastic: "Staff was very rude, and beds were extremely uncomfortable. 0 stars, would not stay there again."

leeharveyosmond

Postby leeharveyosmond » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:26 pm UTC

Hey Randall, did you never call the Russian Strategic Rocket Forces Credit Card Hotline?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:53 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:I feel like this is a phenomenon I should have been aware of previously, and also that the joke is a bit lost for me as a result. Time for messing around with Google Maps.

Google Maps asks me things like "Does this place have a laid-back atmosphere?" and "Does this place appeal to a younger crowd?". I guess that's a definite "no" to the first question...
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:01 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Google Maps asks me things like "Does this place have a laid-back atmosphere?" and "Does this place appeal to a younger crowd?". I guess that's a definite "no" to the first question...

I would hope that the answer would be Yes to "Does this place have a laid-back atmosphere?"

Ceetar

Postby Ceetar » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:32 pm UTC

Ken_g6

Postby Ken_g6 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:46 pm UTC

I'm guessing that next-to-last review ("How do I preorder?") came from one Donald J. Trump in 2014. :shock:

suso

Postby suso » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:17 pm UTC

One I came across about a year ago was reviews of supercomputing data centers like San Diego Supercomputer center:

★★ i'm recive a ddos atack from this location -- Clayton Bernardino

https://www.google.com/maps/place/San+D ... 18!9m1!1b1

There are also reviews for Texas Advanced Computing Center, which interestingly has the same numeric street address as SDSC (10100). I see the LHC also has 18 reviews.

★ 2/10 Not big enough
Imagine theres no signatures....

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:54 pm UTC

RichterCa wrote:I work for a courthouse, and often have to look up prisons on google to get an address. It's funny to see reviews on prisons. Some are serious: "Really helped me get my life back on track, rehab and counseling were great!"

Can prisoners in your country choose their prison? It would incentivise prisons to treat their inhabitants well.
Then again, there are better indicators of how well a prison is doing, e.g. the recidivism rate. :roll:

Zooty

Postby Zooty » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:04 pm UTC

The equator: 2 stars, it's kind of all over the place.

Noslo

Postby Noslo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:58 pm UTC

One of the bike racks on my university campus has like 100+ reviews averaging nearly 5 stars. Everyone started leaving the raving reviews like 5 months ago, I'm not sure what started it, but it's pretty hilarious to read all the faux serious reviews.
"There are now an amusing number of posts defending weaponized xenon.
I think we hold strong opinions on the wrong things."
-asmodai

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:30 pm UTC

A little sad that none of the Antarctic research stations that seem to show up allow reviews. I guess that most of the businesses and sites that do allow them do have some kind of public interface that could make reviews relevant, and then, naturally, if something has reviews enabled but is more notable for reasons other than its on-site public interface, you get joke reviews. Like, the ones for the Pentagon look very similar to the ones in the comic ... with the exception of the 1/3 that are about the tour, which does seem like a reasonably useful and relevant thing for visitors to review or refer to reviews of.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Oktalist

Postby Oktalist » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:47 pm UTC

Twatt Farm

twattfarm.png
philip1201 wrote:Not everything which maps countable infinities onto finite areas is a Lovecraft reference.

a9s

Postby a9s » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:01 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:A little sad that none of the Antarctic research stations that seem to show up allow reviews. I guess that most of the businesses and sites that do allow them do have some kind of public interface that could make reviews relevant, and then, naturally, if something has reviews enabled but is more notable for reasons other than its on-site public interface, you get joke reviews. Like, the ones for the Pentagon look very similar to the ones in the comic ... with the exception of the 1/3 that are about the tour, which does seem like a reasonably useful and relevant thing for visitors to review or refer to reviews of.

Can't find it right now but I recall reading that one station, formerly operated by the Soviets I believe, has a guest book.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:54 am UTC

I read about that, recently. It's the one on the continental "pole of inaccessibility", IIRC, i.e. furthest from any shore, give or take complications of ice-cap and ice-shelf definitions.

(Or, at least, that one has/had such a visitor book.)

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:42 am UTC

Ah, there we go. Several stations didn't show up whatever I did on my first pass, and most of the ones I'm seeing now allow reviews. Vostok Station even helpfully includes hours of operation! (Closed now.)

she / her / her

mschmidt62

Postby mschmidt62 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:01 am UTC

I became more aware of reviews for non-consumer-oriented locations last week when I was compulsively googling for Oroville Dam updates. The Oroville Dam had a few somewhat-funny reviews. When I saw this I wondered whether Randall may have had the same experience--he seems like the sort of person that would be googling for more technical information on the dam like I was. The popular press is so frustrating for people interested in the technical aspects of technical emergencies.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:34 am UTC

Old Bruce wrote:
orthogon wrote:Google Maps asks me things like "Does this place have a laid-back atmosphere?" and "Does this place appeal to a younger crowd?". I guess that's a definite "no" to the first question...

I would hope that the answer would be Yes to "Does this place have a laid-back atmosphere?"

I was thinking of the security personnel, but, yes, hopefully it's more feet-on-the-desk than finger-on-the-button.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:00 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Old Bruce wrote:

I was thinking of the security personnel, but, yes, hopefully it's more feet-on-the-desk than finger-on-the-button.

On really slow days I bet they have contests about who can do both for the longest time before getting a cramp.

ParisNorway

Postby ParisNorway » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:26 pm UTC

When I try to search for "canyon river nuclear launch", Google seach suggests that I might wanna search for "canyon river nuclear launch calendar". Should I be scared?
The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:36 pm UTC

ParisNorway wrote:When I try to search for "canyon river nuclear launch", Google seach suggests that I might wanna search for "canyon river nuclear launch calendar". Should I be scared?

As long as the calendar only contains national holidays it's fine.

fibonacci

Postby fibonacci » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:14 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
ParisNorway wrote:When I try to search for "canyon river nuclear launch", Google seach suggests that I might wanna search for "canyon river nuclear launch calendar". Should I be scared?

As long as the calendar only contains national holidays it's fine.

Probably the best or worst Fourth of July, depending on where you're viewing it.

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:27 pm UTC

Marianas Trench:

1/10 Been there just once. In 1960. For 20 minutes. Would not buy again.

Yeah, I'm posting an SDMB in-joke to a different MB. So what?
“This world is a strange madhouse. Currently, every coachman and every waiter is debating whether relativity theory is correct. Belief in this matter depends on political party affiliation.”
-- Albert Einstein, 12 September 1920

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:37 am UTC

I wonder what some of the starred reviews are comparing things to?

I assume a three-star-reviewed Chinese restaurant is being compared to other Chinese restaurants, or to other restaurants in general, but not to home cooking or movie theaters.

Are the 93 reviews of the Panama Canal comparisons to other canals (Suez), or to the alternative of sailing around South America?

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:11 am UTC

The serious answer is that the actual reviews (I mean, the ratings that include text content) mostly review it in its capacity as a sightseeing destination. There are a lot of 1s and 5s in the naked ratings, but they aren't all 1s and 5s, so my guess would be that those really are intended in the same vein.

Putting that silliness aside, though, I have to assume that at least some of the reviews are in comparison to other palindromes.

she / her / her

iabervon

Postby iabervon » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:41 am UTC

Fukoshima Dai-ichi: (5 stars) The new hot spot!

Weirdly, some of the rescue workers from Fukoshima Dai-ichi seem to be keeping in touch with each other in English in the google reviews. And rating it higher than I would expect, considering.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:10 pm UTC

I remember when Bin Laden was killed the internet immediately reviewed his house.
Flumble wrote:Can prisoners in your country choose their prison?
No. TV tells me that sometimes part of the plea bargain is which prison someone gets sent to, but TV has lied to me before.

But I think, for state crimes (most of them) there's not a large set of jurisdictionally appropriate prisons.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:21 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Putting that silliness aside, though, I have to assume that at least some of the reviews are in comparison to other palindromes.

Threadwinner!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:21 am UTC

I can guess which review is signed 'Summer Glau'.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”