what IDE on linux?

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Marvin

what IDE on linux?

Postby Marvin » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:19 am UTC

i used to code on windows in vs2005, now i'd like to migrate to linux, i'd want something similar to vs
c/c++ is my language of choiche, debian is the distro
code coloring and completition would be most important to me, support for project's would be desirable, compliling in IDE would be nice

the only one i know of is eclipse, but i looked in my synaptic and haven't found a clue of C++ for eclipse, just java

tnx
--
If God intended us to program we would be born with serial I/O ports.

xyzzy
Meta-Titled

Re: what IDE on linux?

Postby xyzzy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:21 pm UTC

Emacs, of course.

The only thing you've listed there that I don't know if it does is completion, but I'm almost certain someone's hacked something together for it. But emacs does coloring, projects, in editor compiling and debugging, and everything else besides.
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

enk

Postby enk » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:01 pm UTC

Vim, of course :)

Syntax highlighting and word completion (also looking in #included files) is standard. Easy preview of and jumping to functions definitions.

Then http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=213 for easy editing of comment blocks, inserting code snippets and preprocessor directives. Run through Splint, then make/compile and run from vim.
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:12 pm UTC

Eclipse. It runs everywhere so you never have to get used to anything else, and it's just awesome even disregarding that.
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

andqso

Postby andqso » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:13 pm UTC

While I wholeheartedly recommend vim, if you're looking for something VS like you might consider Code::Blocks, Eclipse with the C++ plugin, or Anjuta.

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:55 pm UTC

When I'm on Linux/Unix, my attitude is quite literally "IDE? I don't need no steenking IDE!" I just use bash, gcc, and whatever text editor I'm in the mood for that day. Do not underestimate the power of gdb for debugging. When you're ready, you can send the entire thing through automake and have distributable source. Now, if you're not giving out your source, you're generally going to have a hard time getting Linux folk to use your software.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

duaneb

Postby duaneb » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:41 pm UTC

Well, eventually you'll want to switch to gcc and make/scons/rake/cmake/whatevs, but until then i'd use eclipse with the c(++)? plugin

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:51 pm UTC

photosinensis wrote:When I'm on Linux/Unix, my attitude is quite literally "IDE? I don't need no steenking IDE!" I just use bash, gcc, and whatever text editor I'm in the mood for that day. Do not underestimate the power of gdb for debugging. When you're ready, you can send the entire thing through automake and have distributable source. Now, if you're not giving out your source, you're generally going to have a hard time getting Linux folk to use your software.

Note that IDE and autotools aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. If I had a big enough project that I planed on distributing, I would maintain both an IDE project for my use and a command-line makeable version (maybe autotools) for automated builds & tests and distribution.

IDEs are too darn useful to go without during development IMHO.

bcherry

Postby bcherry » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:00 am UTC

You clearly aren't looking for emacs or vim. While I respect users of these, the OP clearly is looking for a point-and-click multi-pane IDE. Eclipse has a C++ plugin, but I've never tried it. I tend to use KDevelop when I'm looking for a full IDE, otherwise I just use Kate and a terminal. If you're looking for something GNOME oriented though, then look at Anjuta. Don't know if Eclipse is in the repositories or not, everything else should be.

Good luck, and happy coding on GNU/Linux!

mrkite

Postby mrkite » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:45 am UTC

It's only for C# but SharpDevelop/MonoDevelop are both awesome.

I tend to stick with vim/make for everything else.

!xobile

Postby !xobile » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:13 am UTC

I've been using KDevelop for the last couple of years, and have found it to be a great IDE.
While I agree, that you don't need more than a shell and gcc, an IDE can be nice.

e946

Postby e946 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:24 am UTC

Kate and bash for me as well. The only thing I miss is being able to step through code.

OOPMan

Postby OOPMan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:04 pm UTC

Hmmmmmmmmm, I think the answer to this question depends a great deal on what langauge one is working with.

For Java-related work, something like Eclipse, Netbeans (My preference) or JEdit is probably best for major work.

Quick edits can be done with pretty much anything though.

The OP mentioned that C and C++ are his targets though. I'm afraid I haven't had much experience with the major IDEs and C/C++. I know there is support, but it does vary.

I'd say give the Eclipse or Netbeans C++ plugins a go and see if they suit you. If you find them a bit heavy-weight, then something lighter like KDevelop is probably in order. If KDevelop is still too heavy, then a more minimalist editor is probably the way to go...

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:50 am UTC

I've used Code::Blocks, Anjuta, KDevelop, and Eclipse. I'd recommend Code::Blocks over all of them. Anjuta felt very odd and incomplete in a lot of places compared to Visual Studio. KDevelop was just way too KDEey for me, so I couldn't stand it from the start. Eclipse is written in Java, and therefore evil. Code::Blocks has some really annoying bugs, particularly code folding eating my code, but this also works in Windows, so you could use the same environement in both places. It also felt the most similar to Visual Studio.

Then again, I last used any of these a couple years ago, so I'm not sure on half the stuff I'm saying :P

enk

Postby enk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:08 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:Code::Blocks has some really annoying bugs, particularly code folding eating my code

and
Amnesiasoft wrote:I'd recommend Code::Blocks

W... T... F...?

Marvin

Postby Marvin » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:32 am UTC

well... actually, for the moment i'm using gedit :mrgreen:

i looked a bit around, code::blocks seems great... until you look at release... the last one was more than a year ago, and they recomend nightly builds... now i might like risks, but nightly builds... not for work i gues...

i figured i would love something like gedit with code completition (but some serious code completition)

i didn't even try vi (i remember starting it once and not knowing how to exit ^^)
well... emacs sounded great... but seriously... can that... thing... look nicer, i'm not demanding, but how that looks it terible :)
i'd rather not instal eclipse (didnt go very well last time)...

so i'll just stick to gedit for now

thanks everyone for recomendations...
--

duaneb

Postby duaneb » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:11 am UTC

Well, if you're in for looks, dum your linux box and buy a mac. Emacs is for power users, and power users don't go for looks.

But, if you want a good-looking emacs, get the latest gtk snapshot. If you're on ubuntu, just say 'sudo apt-get install emacs-snapshot-gtk'. Otherwise, I can't help you.

enk

Postby enk » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:46 am UTC

The look of vanilla Emacs makes me cringe too, but I guess it can be customized to your liking.

Why not give Eclipse another go...? If you had trouble installing it, just try harder and use the google. It runs on a lot of computers :)

Marvin

Postby Marvin » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:16 am UTC

duaneb wrote:Well, if you're in for looks, dum your linux box and buy a mac.

do you people ever think that for some of us "dump your linux box and just buy a mac" isn't an option?

and by the way, i'm not for the looks, but it looks ugly, i prefeer simple, but this is not simple, it's not nice, it's plain ugly
yet i'm no ignorant child so i got the snapshot (well... don't get it why it's a standard packet in ubuntu and unavailable for debian)...

thank you, looks like that's what i wanted...

(and that thing compiles for ever... i'm starting to wonder if the compiling got into infinite loop... installed... getting through tutorial... this thing looks like it needs years to learn... and i like it...)
--

Jach

Postby Jach » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:13 am UTC

I like vim ('tis a God for Python coding now that I have it all customized), and if I'm in the mood for a separate window from the shell I'll use gVim. But when I'm not in the mood for either for some reason, I'll use EditPad Lite, which was my first editor after notepad and I've grown fond of it.

I have several problems with Gedit (less in Kate), so I don't recommend it.
I love reading quotes.

patm1987

Postby patm1987 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

Personally, for large projects (possibly multi-language) I use Eclipse with whatever language plugins I need (CDT usually, the C Development Tools). It's really nice since it's very easy to convert over to a make-based project (or even start your projects make based), and operates on most platforms I care about (Linux, Windows, OSX).

Others I have tried include KDevelop (which I kinda like, but it's hard to do something non-KDE), Anjuta (which I determined just doesn't like me), Code::Blocks (see comment on Anjuta), and Net Beans (which I can barely recommend for Java, never mind other languages). I still use vim for small things that I don't feel like making a project and such for (ie, if I type vim make, that's my indicator that I should switch over to eclipse). I've started trying to figure emacs in the past, but I just end up playing snake.

Oh, and I've used vHam for GBA dev, I recommend against it at all costs (although I forget if it even runs on Linux, I still recommend against it).

My recommendation, though, is to not grab Eclipse from whatever repo's your distro uses, and just grab it from eclipse.org. It may not apply now, but in the past most repos were at least a version behind, and there was this "bug" that would totally hang the IDE after typing the '.' or '->' for their intellisense thing until it built the list of recommendations. At the time this was fixed in the eclipse stable version, but not propagated over apt/portage and I just got in the habit of downloading straight from the eclipse site.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:57 pm UTC

enk wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:Code::Blocks has some really annoying bugs, particularly code folding eating my code

and

W... T... F...?

You conveniently cut out part of one sentence, I said I recommend Code::Blocks over the other 3. Because code folding eating code isn't as bad as the editor not even being finished...or being written in Java...or using a KDE style interface...

enk

Postby enk » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:32 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
enk wrote:

and

W... T... F...?

You conveniently cut out part of one sentence, I said I recommend Code::Blocks over the other 3. Because code folding eating code isn't as bad as the editor not even being finished...or being written in Java...or using a KDE style interface...

Well, do you recommend Code::Blocks or not?

Even if it was the best IDE, I'd ban it for munching on my code.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:12 am UTC

enk wrote:I'd ban it for munching on my code.

It's not so much that your code is gone, but if you paste something over the line of folded code, it only replaces that first line, and nothing past it. Then your fold disappears so you can't open it back up. The text is there, but in the way. Which causes some wonderful little problems when you try compiling. So as long as you don't paste on top of folded code, it's just fine.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:52 am UTC

duaneb wrote:Well, if you're in for looks, dum your linux box and buy a mac.

Macs are disgustingly ugly.

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:58 pm UTC

The OP said thank you several posts ago. If you want to continue this, do it in Religious Wars.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Return to “Coding”