Pen Pals Mafia [D3: Dear Zachary]

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Sabrar

Re: Pen Pals Mafia [D2: Dear Abby]

Postby Sabrar » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:18 am UTC

Will be here to change my vote if necessary.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:06 am UTC

I'm on the fence very much here. I don't see either player as extremely scummy, but both have had small hints of scumminess. Looking at the Votals:

Carlington - jimbobmacdoodle, emlightened, flicky1991, dimochka
jimbobmacdoodle - moody, Sabrar, Madge
me - Carlington

Presumably, Carlington will tie the vote in his next post.

I tend to trust flicky and emlightened, and Sabrar and Madge. Which means that for me, town is utterly divided on this question.

If I had to vote right now, it would probably be for Carlington, but that could well change if he posts. Recent jimbob posts have given me a certain townie vibe from him.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:15 am UTC

This post is written in haste, but hopefully that's better than no post at all. This post will just be responding to direct talk about me and giving reads for dimochka and moody. I guess in the interest of self preservation I should
Vote:jimbob
Now,
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I'm a little concerned about how quickly Carlington dismissed the D1 wagons as a place to analyse votes. Surely, seeing who voted for who and when, especially given a scum flip, tells us who is more likely scum? Similarly, if anybody flipped between two lead wagons, where they ended up could be significant. Hang on, one of the reasons he is voting for mpolo is because he voted for one of the wagons? Him concluding that emlightened is an indie is a bit of a stretch, given the information. Why couldn't she be town? Also, his reads post says nothing about moody. Possibly an honest mistake, like dimochka, but still... (Just realised that Sabrar picked up on most of these points already - I wrote this paragraph after reading Carlington's reads post, and before re-reading either Sabrar's comments or Carlington's response. I'm leaving it unedited so that people can see my thought process).
You and others have been right to call me out on my dismissal of this. I conflated the talk of D1 votals and wagons with exonerating both Madge and emlightened, which I wasn't totally comfortable with. As for emlightened potentially being indie? I still had emlightened as non-town, just as a gut feeling, but also not Mafia-aligned. As covered, reads post was an honest mistake

dimochka wrote:Carlington - initial read gave me the feeling that he might be some kind of vig. I don't like his view on cops and not being able to trust them as much (isn't that most non-straight-vanilla games). His pointing out godfather stuff several times makes me think that he might be a godfather. He then wanted to look at me for some dj/madge thing which I'm still not sure what he means (Carlington - if you can point me to what exactly you meant, that would be great). He tried to save madge BUT I would've done the same so I give this little weight, though his original reasoning did seem a little off. I'm too lazy to go back and see whether Carlington has been against policy lynches in the past. In general little things here and there don't add up, so he's most scummy to me.

Only really quoted for asking about dj/Madge thing: the issue was DJ's reads list, Madge found it just really objectionable. The people in question were Madge, flicky, and dimka. Madge was already going to be looked at for being front and centre, and I had flicky as solidly townie and still do. So, dimka.

Posting now, then immediately to come reads on moody and dimka
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:30 am UTC

As expected, that has tied up the votals, I believe. Given mpolo is leaning towards Carlington, I do not plan on claiming unless somebody says they are probably going to change their vote to me. I should have the chance to monitor posting today after all, so should be able to respond reasonably quickly.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:46 pm UTC

Just to highlight that deadline is in two hours, I believe. I am going to the beach now and don't know what the signal will be like.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:10 pm UTC

Okay, so moody reads to me as pretty much classic moody. I'm pretty comfortable in calling him town, both for reasons of meta and for the fact that he has been posting a good amount of content with solid analyses that are good and detailed.

dimochka has strong opinions and is willing to post them without hesitation, which counts in his favour as a potential townie. I do find some things weird, though, like his having been unable to vote on D1 despite being online no more than two hours before deadline - especially with the tiebreaking that went down, it could have been scum avoiding bussing or avoiding being the tiebreaker, or it could have been an indie avoiding culpability. I'm unwilling to criticise a lack of D2 content, especially since I can understand RL having an influence. I notice that he claimed he would have voted Madge, but it would be very easy to justify wanting to have voted after the fact, and there's plenty of wine in a claimed desire to vote.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:23 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:...
20 minutes until deadline and votes are still tied. Mpolo hasn't voted yet. I really don't want to claim. I will say that if I survive that people shouldn't use protective abilities on me.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:30 pm UTC

If you're town scum obvously won't kill you tonight as you'll be an easy mislynch tomorrow. This claim doesn't make any sense.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:35 pm UTC

EBWOP: also wanted to add that although IRL is definitely a factor here, but I think that Carlington spending his last post to give us his reads instead of defending himself before being lynched is more indicative of townie behavior.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:38 pm UTC

It's to prevent second-guessing. Scum might kill me because I was strongly unwilling to reveal my role, therefore I probably have a strong role, therefore it potentially makes sense for someone to protect me.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:40 pm UTC

Ninja-EBWOP: FWIW, I don't have anything further to add regarding reads.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:41 pm UTC

Let's agree to disagree with regards to that logic.

Snark

Postby Snark » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:43 pm UTC

Deadline is reached. No more posting. I'm double checking votals.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Snark

Re: Pen Pals Mafia [N2: Dear Esther]

Postby Snark » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:51 pm UTC

Deadline has been reached.

Votals
Carlington - 4 - (jimbobmacdoodle, emlightened, flicky1991, dimochka)
jimbobmacdoodle - 4 - (moody7277, Sabrar, Madge, Carlington)

Not voting: mpolo

random.org chooses Carlington as lynch target out of 2-way tie.

Send in your night actions. Deadline for night is in exactly 3 days.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Snark

Re: Pen Pals Mafia [D3: Dear Zachary]

Postby Snark » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:43 pm UTC

Carlington was lynched. Their role PM:
Snark wrote:You are mafia. You win when town and all rival anti-town factions are defeated.

You are a Roleblocker. You may target one player each night to roleblock and stop them from performing any actions during that night.

As long as your Pen Pal is alive, you are a Godfather and will show up as Town to investigations.

Your Pen Pal PM will arrive shortly.

Deadline in 6 "days" and since weekends count down half, that actually means exactly 7 days.

8 alive, 5 to lynch.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:56 pm UTC

I had somehow convinced myself that the deadline was 5 something, and got on at 4:50 to find the deadline already passed at 3 something… As I had intended to vote for Carlington, I am happy with the result. Actually a little surprised, since I thought there were only 2 mafia, and there was a night after lynching Carlington.

I was visited last night — should I claim now or later?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:58 pm UTC

Well, random.org is pretty much confirmed town. :lol: Also, it would appear that if there is a SK, they're using SDK's playbook on fire discipline as I find it beyond credibility that three or four saves have been made.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:03 pm UTC

I believe we have sufficient info for mass claim to be effective. Will probably claim later regardless of decision.
@mpolo: please claim.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:09 pm UTC

I second the motion as to mpolo claiming, mostly because I think I can anticipate his response.

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:35 pm UTC

I would agree with at least a partial mass claim, provided most people agree. I'm likely to claim my main ability anyway. I don't see a need to claim pen pals, except for whoever was Carlington's partner. I also think mpolo should suggest the order.

I couldn't see this anywhere, so thought I'd ask:

Do mafia have access to a factional kill?

Not really expecting an answer, but I thought I'd highlight that we don't know for certain. I'm slightly scared that they are a recruiting faction :/
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:41 pm UTC

No bastardry implies for me that the basics are not changed, that is we have standard mafia and not cult. How do you stop a recruiting mafia anyway? You kill one, they recruit another and you have no way of making progress barring some lucky Roleblocks or SK.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:50 pm UTC

I was visited TWICE.

Jimbobmacdoodle and moody7277

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:00 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:I was visited TWICE.

Jimbobmacdoodle and moody7277

Well, I anticipated my part. Tracked mpolo and he went nowhere. I have no idea what jimbob was doing. May have some more info later, but I want to wait for everyone else to post something first.

Snark

Postby Snark » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:03 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Do mafia have access to a factional kill?
No comment

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:11 pm UTC

Would like to see Madge and dimochka claiming next in whatever order they come online. I'm willing to claim after them.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:22 pm UTC

I can confirm that I targeted mpolo. I'll hold back for now, unless anybody is particularly keen on me claiming now?
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:26 pm UTC

You're pretty much cleared from how D2 played out, no need to rush things.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:42 pm UTC

I can full claim if people prefer. For now I'll say that Sabrar should have gotten something from me N1, and emlightened N2.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:44 pm UTC

Can confirm what dimochka is referring to, willing to let him full claim later.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:03 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:For now I'll say that Sabrar should have gotten something from me N1, and emlightened N2.

Did we receive the same thing?

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:06 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
dimochka wrote:For now I'll say that Sabrar should have gotten something from me N1, and emlightened N2.

Did we receive the same thing?

Yeah. That's the only thing I can give.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:15 pm UTC

Then I think we should reveal it (but only after all claims are in) and discuss its use.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:06 pm UTC

Another mafia dead? Nice.

To clarify: we'll all be claiming abilities on the basis that we're in a position to catch out anyone making a false claim with so few anti-town left, right?
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:11 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:To clarify: we'll all be claiming abilities on the basis that we're in a position to catch out anyone making a false claim with so few anti-town left, right?

Exactly. Or at least we can rule out the roles that clearly belong to Town and proceed to lynch the rest of the players.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:24 am UTC

I'm a bulletproof survivor.

Dim, your turn to claim.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:40 am UTC

Might not be here during the day, so posting this now.

I'm Cop (so no, this wasn't rolefishing). I receive Town vs non-Town results, so cannot distinguish between scum and independent. Got no result N1 on emlightened (probably role-blocked), luckily while my penpal is alive I can investigate 2 players on even numbered nights. jimbob and emlightened were my targets N2, both are Town. (I'm doing a full claim here because otherwise my D2 posts don't make sense). I've left a will with my penpal so if necessary they can verify that I got roleblocked N1. They also know what I received from dimochka.
With a Godfather and a 'night-action immune' role both gone I really hope there is nothing left that interferes with my ability as that would make it completely useless.

@flicky: please claim.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:51 am UTC

Ah, my abilities are ones that become useless if scum know what they are, but I guess I have no choice...

Main ability is Lighthouse Keeper (night after I die is skipped). Pen Pal ability is that, if multiple people use night actions on me in the same night, they all fail.
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:38 am UTC

I think at this point dimochka, emlightened and jimbob can claim in whatever order they come online.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:55 am UTC

Claiming now, so people aren't waiting until my next chance to post in the evening.

Well, that's interesting to say the least from Sabrar. I am also a Cop, getting town or non-town results, like Sabrar. I copped my pen pal N1 and mpolo N2, getting town on both. I won't be claiming who my pen pal is - they can claim after my death when it becomes useful. Suffice to say that my desire to not be protected still stands.

After getting Town on my pen pal, I claimed to them in private chat early D2, so if needed, they can verify that I've at least been consistent.

I'll need to give it some thought as to whether I believe there are two cops. I'm leaning towards there being so, because a) we can't distinguish between scum and indies, making us less useful, b) we might not be sane (see the rules), and c) our abilities appear to be unreliable at best based on Carlington and DJ's flips, thus rendering us relatively harmless to scum.

As I mentioned earlier, I think Carlington's pen pal should claim. That way, nobody can pretend to be my pen pal if both of us die.

Survivor!Madge makes sense to me, given my previous beliefs. I'm guessing the bulletproofness comes from the pen pal ability. However, I wouldn't put it past SK (or other anti-town indie)!Madge claiming that.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Re: Pen Pals Mafia [Confirmation Stage]

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:52 am UTC

@emlightened: please claim.

emlightened wrote:...

Return to “Mafia”