The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Minestrone
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:21 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Minestrone » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:22 pm UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
I dodged a bullet yesterday. I genuinely beleived moody was scummier than Madge and considered voting for him, but then I remembered I was an SK, not a townie, and there was no reason for me to stick my neck out like that. If I had tied up the votals like that and Madge had been randomly lynched and flipped scum, I would have been dead meat today. Also I didn't kill last night because I think I want to pull at least a partial SDK and make people think there isn't a serial killer, and then two people go and die anyway. At least mpolo has a potential explanation for one of the deaths. I wonder if I start killing people now will people suspect mpolo as the SK?

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:49 pm UTC

Merry Christmas everyone!
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
dimochka
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm UTC
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby dimochka » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:55 pm UTC

Ghost III @Madge
Spoiler:
Next time you want Russian translations that don't just translate each word separately, send it to me :mrgreen:
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:56 am UTC

Ghost III @ Dimochka

Spoiler:
Wow, thankyou! That would be awesome.

Feel free to give me a better translation and I'll edit the post! That would be awesome :). I used ASCII text because I figured an anachronistic 80s terminal wouldn't have the special Russian characters - do you know if this is accurate??

Didn't even think of the ability of the forum to crowdsource these things....
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
dimochka
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm UTC
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby dimochka » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:47 pm UTC

Ghost III (@Madge)
Spoiler:
Kod dlya pomekha raket ne prinyat. Dostup zakryt. U vas ostalas' odna popytka.

Literal translation: The code for jamming rockets is not accepted. Access denied/closed. You have one attempt left.

It may not be the perfect translation (considering I don't work special ops haha), but it'll do :)
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:30 am UTC

Ghost III @dimochka

Spoiler:
Thanks for your help Dim! Greatly appreciated.

In game news, it looks like the ghost and fool have been signaled out. Let's see how this ends up...
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:46 am UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
I have the impression that Mafia just quit and doesn't want to continue playing an unwinnable game. Based on the content so far and forum activity elsewhere I have moody7277, emlightened and Lawrencelot as the last 3 members. I have no idea if there are any independents.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:18 am UTC

Ghost III

Spoiler:
I think ghost is kind of broken at small numbers; it's too tricky for the ghosts to win with only TWO genuine clues as to the word and one false word.

Possible ways to balance this better:

1) Give the ghosts a letter every day

2) At small numbers, don't do fools, or at least have a chance to have no fools; tell the ghosts exactly how many fools are but not the villagers

3) Provide some sort of general hint to the word beyond the number of letters - e.g. 'this word is 6 letters on and in the most common 2,000 words in the english language'

The only time the ghosts have won was in a large game I was a ghost in where the ghosts were given a VERY good clue by a townie ("the word is in moby dick"). And even then we got lucky - I decided to guess 'intangible' because it was very specific, so if I was wrong I'd get lynched straight away and the other ghosts would know it was something tangible. In line with that I managed to get a word list of all the n-letter words from Moby Dick (about a thousand?) and used some sort of dictionary package that had general definitions of words to cut the list down by getting rid of anything that was a tangible-sounding definition. Added to this I had a fit of inspiration to get words ending in -ish because of another clue ("opposite of amish"), and suddenly 'english' stared me in the face and Vytron's clue of "related to angles" was a very clever clue for the word that I knew Vytron would love because of his personality. So basically if all those stars had not perfectly aligned, we would have been screwed, and it required THREE separate clues. It was very lucky and I'm very proud but every game since, town has won with no problems.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:40 am UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
Oh no... Moody, please don't claim you targeted Sabrar. I want our paranoid poisoner to keep on killing more unsuspecting townies. Come on! You know you want it.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:46 pm UTC

Secret Santa

@Madge
Spoiler:
Claiming PGO is very suspicious in my opinion, as it 'prevents' town to investigate you. After N1 I thought I looked Town enough that other townies wouldn't target me anymore, but I could take out a scum if they killed me. Turns out it didn't happen that way, but at least your buddies killed the SK for us.

@Minestrone
Spoiler:
Out of curiosity, why did you choose to kill me?

@nobody in particular
Spoiler:
Called it, all remaining Mafia was lurking. I'm very disappointed, that's not how the game should be played.
New goal: surviving D2 :D

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:35 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
I'm annoyed minestrone killed you :(. I wanted you to keep on doing the mafia's work!!!

Unfortunately I couldn't tell mafia that there's a PGO in the game so you know :)

As for mafia lurking - if they can get away with it, then it's a legitimate strategy. ;)
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:17 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
I think there's a huge difference between a) lurking and b) not posting at all for more than 2 weeks in a Turbo game. I believe the day should not have been allowed to end without either actual input from those people or mod-killing them.
Of course I'm not the mod, so let's agree to disagree on this matter. :)

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:01 am UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
Eh, the two weeks in question are a very busy period of the year in most western countries, so I'm not too upset about that personally. Real life has a way of interfering after all.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
Minestrone
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:21 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Minestrone » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:04 pm UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
And I was doing so well too! It's a shame to go out getting killed but I guess I would have died to the poison anyway. It's interesting that jimbob is confused about Sabrar, I thought it would have been easier to figure out knowing I was an SK. I told him I was recruiting Sabrar so I'd have an alibi if mpolo saw me visit Sabrar, and then I killed Sabrar instead because they were active and townie and I didn't want to overly expand my chat group. Using the recruit action on him would have protected him from my own kill. Before I read spoilers, here's some guesses as to who's scum: Snark, Freezeblade/whoever replaced him, and another one of the lurkers.

User avatar
Minestrone
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:21 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Minestrone » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:24 pm UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
Well it looks like my scumdar is still useless as usual. I guess I was suspicious of emlightened for awhile but I gave her too much credit after her content picked up. Also I think it's funny that I recruited the person who sent in my role in the first place. I purposefully left out the "protects from other night actions" part of my role in my claim to him so I could do something like kill someone I claimed to intend to recruit, so I'm glad he assumed the mod had trimmed the role down.

@Sabrar:
Spoiler:
I didn't see your spoiler before I made that last post but I answered it there anyway: you were just a high activity town read so I thought you'd be a good target for a kill. After all if you kill the lurkers town has to waste less lynches on them and they'll have more chances to find you.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:57 am UTC

Secret Santa @Minestrone

Spoiler:
Perfectly reasonable. Guess that's the danger of trying too hard. :)

User avatar
Suzaku
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am UTC
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Suzaku » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:01 am UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
If town can hit scum today, they have a pretty good shot at winning, I think.
If they hit town, they pretty much instantly lose.
emlightened is scum.
SirGabriel gave mpolo a day cop (they're both town).
mpolo investigated emlightened.


emlightened is a godfather by day.

I think I should either have put one fewer scum in the game or killed one of the really lurky scum (except that modkilling like that is pretty bastard).
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:20 am UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
mua ha ha ha!!!!!! the scum team shall reign victorious :D
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:11 am UTC

Secret Santa @Suzaku

Spoiler:
Is there an actual day-cop in the game (for making emlightened's role relevant) or is it just a very unlucky coincidence?

User avatar
Suzaku
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am UTC
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Suzaku » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:45 am UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
No day cop, no. Although there's SirG and one other gift giver who can both give 1-shot day cops.

emlightened's role cops as Town by day and Scum by night, regardless of her actual alignment (she's a Creepy Mall Santa).
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:42 pm UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
I can't help but shake the feeling that I have missed an obvious scum pairing. I could maybe see bessie and Echo as a team, but nobody else seems to agree with me about my points re. bessie, namely that she rather went after me. Aaarrgghh! Given the general confusion, I suspect that scum have this in the bag, but I guess we'll see. If we successfully lynch someone today, and get a lucky investigation result tonight, we still stand a chance.

Meanwhile, I have no idea what to do with my ability. I've submitted an action to query the number of investigations. My hope is that I might catch one of our supposed investigators out in not using their ability, or possibly one of the unclaimed players using their ability but not claiming their results. Note to self: remember to check whether my own investigation is included in the numbers!
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Echo244
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 am UTC
Location: Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Echo244 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:52 pm UTC

Secret Santa:

Spoiler:
Pfah, lynched for pretty much nothing, and with a couple of people not even voting. Ah well, I was still more helpful to the game than a modkill.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby ConMan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:02 am UTC

One more player needed for Alternating 9P - go check out the signup thread. Game will start next Monday if I can get the numbers!
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Vytron » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:16 am UTC

Feel free to sign me up to Alternating 9P if you don't find a player by then (still don't know if newbie or oldbie, considering some "newbie" players already have more experience than me :mrgreen: ).

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:24 am UTC

Also, Vytron, I happened to see your location and recalled your one-person-mission against the use of gender neutral pronouns so I thought I'd make a case for the singular they, which you've disparaged before, since it's the American Dialect Society's Word of the Year:

http://www.americandialect.org/2015-wor ... gular-they

It also has a history dating to as far back as Chaucer, with Shaw, Shakespeare and Austen all being documented employers of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they#Usage

So, think about using it, if you could, rather than a confusing series of alternating he/she pronouns? I don't refer back to the pronoun thread like most people do, so I mostly learn peoples' pronouns by reading what other people address them as and taking that on, so stuff like that will lead to me having the complete wrong impression of someone's preferred pronouns which is no fun.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:53 am UTC

I have recently been rereading the "Wheel of Time" fantasy series, and think I have some ideas for a series of mafia games set in that period. However, having never modded before, I need someone to help co-mod and bounce ideas off of. Ideally this would be someone who is not flavour-blind, but isn't required. If you're interested, please let me know.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Suzaku
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am UTC
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Suzaku » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:39 pm UTC

jimbob - I'd be up for helping out with that, if you'll have me.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

User avatar
Snark
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Snark » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:00 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I have recently been rereading the "Wheel of Time" fantasy series, and think I have some ideas for a series of mafia games set in that period. However, having never modded before, I need someone to help co-mod and bounce ideas off of. Ideally this would be someone who is not flavour-blind, but isn't required. If you're interested, please let me know.

What's the ETA for this? I was thinking about trying to host a large game, but I'll hold off if you're doing this soon as I don't know if we can get the numbers for two games in signups at once.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?


Avatar by Matt

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:50 pm UTC

@Suzaku - cool. Thanks for the offer. Do you have any experience with the Wheel of Time series?

@Snark - I'm happy to wait, if you've already got something. I thought I'd bring it up, since nobody had posted anything apart from the current newbie game in sign-ups. Plus, with my schedule, I'm not going to be able to mod and play a game at the same time anyway for the next few weeks.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Snark
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Snark » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:04 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@Snark - I'm happy to wait, if you've already got something. I thought I'd bring it up, since nobody had posted anything apart from the current newbie game in sign-ups. Plus, with my schedule, I'm not going to be able to mod and play a game at the same time anyway for the next few weeks.
You go ahead. I should probably spend more time tuning.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?


Avatar by Matt

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:37 pm UTC

If by tuning you mean tuning your setup, that's more than I've got (I have some vague flavour ideas and basic mechanics, but that's about it)! Anyway, I'll spend time discussing my vague ideas with Suzaku and see how long it takes. Feel free to put your's up if you're ready before me.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:16 pm UTC

I also have something in mind that I would like to run. Going through the archives I saw that a Dollhouse Mafia was cancelled a few years ago because only a dozen players signed up and it was intended to be a much larger game. I love the series and would be glad to retry it with a smaller crew if people are willing. I currently have a setup almost completely ready for 9 players but could extend it a bit with some time. Please let me know if there's still interest in the setting.

User avatar
dimochka
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm UTC
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby dimochka » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:19 pm UTC

Definitely up for dollhouse, and probably some of the others.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby mpolo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:00 pm UTC

I've actually seen Dollhouse, which makes it easier than most flavors I've played recently (except Dracula, where even when we lynched "incorrectly" from flavor, it was right because Dracula had recruited correctly).
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby ConMan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:41 pm UTC

Thanks to Carlington, my game has enough people to run, but I would still love for anyone who's interested to get on the replacements queue. Because even in a game this simple, there's always that risk.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Vytron » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:02 am UTC

@Madge (offtopic discussion):
Spoiler:
I'm against the usage of "they" because it's ambiguous and it's not clear if I'm referring to one person or many. I've been confused by other people using "they" before (not because I don't know about the singular case, but because it could mean one thing or the other.)

THE main reason I put that in my location is because, months down the line, I forget about the entire thing, and I feel much better, and relaxed, when posting. But whenever it comes up that, since I forgot, I called someone a he, or a she, and that's their "wrong" pronoun, then the tension comes back, and I become very conscious about what pronouns I'm using every time, and no longer enjoy posting at all, and have to fight my urges to leave the forum altogether (which only happens here. Apparently, the xkcd forums are very, very touchy about gender pronouns, as can be shown by having two entire threads devoted to it), I fight that is harder every time, and I think, that eventually I'll end leaving if people keep hitting on the subject. Using gender neutral pronouns keeps me tense all the time. Mainly, every time I finish a message, I have to go back to double check if I used a "he" or a "she", and fix it, and I don't like that.

What I fight for, is the point that what gender pronouns are used should be the right of the person talking, and that gender is really irrelevant on the internet, anyway, so I don't get why people want to make sure that other people know their gender or preferred pronoun. Deva doesn't use pronouns at all, why can't I call everyone a she if I want to?

Otherwise, I've talked with gmalivuk about this (he thinks I'm an asshole about all this.) I've told him that if a Gender Pronoun box was implemented in the forum, and that if everyone that really cared so much about it (which, believe me, it's a minority - that's why not many people say their gender in their sig) used it, I'd always look for it and use the right gender that the people said they want used, and we could do without those Gender Stickies. The tension would be gone, because this would be based on two-way courtesy (people having the courtesy to use such a box to tell us their choice, and people having the courtesy of using what people put there), not demand ("THERE'S GENDER THREADS AND PEOPLE PUT THE PRONOUNS THEY WANT USED FOR THEM! EVERY NEW PERSON THAT YOU MEET ON THE FORUM MIGHT HAVE POSTED THERE SO YOU HAVE TO CHECK THEM AND MAKE SURE THAT YOU USE THE RIGHT GENDER PRONOUN FOR THEM! IF YOU DON'T YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE" - paraphrasing gmalivuk.)

The sig system doesn't work: I don't tend to check and read every person's signature. Some people put their preferred pronouns on there, but I might miss them. So I use the wrong gender pronoun for them. At least, since I changed my location, two such cases didn't have any major implications (what I call "bouncing" - people were to complain to me that I used the wrong gender pronoun - they see that I use those pronouns as neutral, nothing major happens and I don't need to apologize, which I needed to do in previous cases.)

This is a reason I've been trying hard to find a different community similar to the xkcd one, since they don't have such issues, or they have a box like the one I requested, or they outright let people choose their gender when registering, and have some icon appear below their avatar, optionally - so any new person that you meet on the forum shows their gender and we can get on with our lives without any confusion and without resorting to new sticky threads for it.

But it's been hard. Most communities are full of... huh, how to call them, dumb people? Well, not dumb, but the ones that dedicate their time to play "Would the above avatar make a good POTUS?", "Guess the above avatar's fetish", or "You just walked in on the last two avatars kissing" (I'm not kidding.) Eh, I mean, this one is full of INT* personality types and I enjoy hanging out with them, other communities are full of other kind of people that provide very different feedback. I have created lots of games on the Forum Games section, and the kind of people that play, and the kind of people that mod are very engaging, they suggest rule changes, or improvements for future versions of the game. They not just play, they make everything better.

In other communities, people get bored and quit the thread, without explaining why. They don't provide feedback about how to improve the game even when you explicitly ask for it. They expect games to be finished, and polished, while in xkcd Forums the fun is in the designing of games and everyone is helpful.

Sure, I've found other such communities full of friendly and engaging people, but they're too big... One gets lost in the crowd. Your thread gets lost and appears on page 5 of the forum the next day and if you're the last poster and it doesn't have enough interest it might be lost forever. And there's too much competition, with games that have already been greatly polished flying around, experienced mods that already know what they're doing and don't need any help to deliver, and most people being dedicated to... playing games, not designing them. So, when there's more than a hundred quality games being hosted, who's going to spend time helping you design your little game?

But if people would rather see me leaving that allowing me to write my posts as I want, without being tense about what I say, I can always pretend this community doesn't exist and ban myself from accessing it. I've been really close. The other way I started making my farewell post, but my computer just shut down for no reason, so I took that as signal, but...

Forum Gaming is WHAT I do on the Internet. Sure, I watch Youtube Videos, and other stuff, but I don't engage with people on Twitter, or Facebook, and don't even check my email, so if it wasn't for Forum Games I'd not connect at all.

I find it really disappointing that you, Madge, are from this group of people that want me to change my ways arbitrarily. What is going to happen? There's some male guy and I use neutral "she" pronouns to refer to him and then you think he's female and call him a she, and then he tells you he's a she? And you apologize about it? Oh! The atrocity!

No, if he cares enough that you don't call him a she he can use his sig to tell you so. Then, if you care enough to use the right gender pronoun for people, you can take a close look at the signature of every new person you meet, just in case they have it there, and check all the gender pronouns threads around to see if he posted there. Because, oh yeah, I have used "they", as gender neutral pronoun, and been told by that person that they didn't like gender neutral they and that I should call them the right pronoun, so this is a fight that can't be won.

I've been told, over and over, that this is a kind of etiquette. That I'm expected to act in some way in this society to avoid making people upset about it. That if I don't do that, it means I don't care about people and that I'm a douche bag and a jerk.

I claim this isn't the case, because I'm the same exact guy in all the forums I'm in. The xkcd forums is the only one with these unreachable high standards in which, no matter what I do about gender pronouns, there's always someone that will complain, even though it's not MY FAULT, and it's not THEIRS, it's the forum system that, while having this community with a vocal minority that cares so much about it I'd not be surprised if a new Gender pronouns thread was created on the Puzzles subforum, doesn't do anything to facilitate a spot in the profiles that would allow other people to know your preference.

I'm supposed to start a new Forum Game soon but this post has drained all my energy, I just hope the next time this subject comes up it's not the last one - at some point I won't fight my urges to quit, so don't be surprised if someone tells me I'm doing it wrong and I don't even reply because I'm gone :roll:

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:14 am UTC

I think you saying "but I would have to leave and take all my toys away if I started using they as a gender neutral pronoun!" is a bit of a non sequitir. I thought you'd find my post interesting and it might change your mind, I didn't realise it would personally offend on on some deep level and make you write a long defense on it.

Yeah, it's really not that big a deal, I don't know what I said that made you think this is like my biggest care in the whole wide world.

Also: I think the fact that you're male and thus your gender is viewed as the 'default' gives you a very privileged perspective here.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby mpolo » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:13 am UTC

Singular "they" tends to wound my inner grammarian fairly deeply. Even though it has a provable history, it "feels" wrong to me, and I tend to parse it incorrectly when reading somebody else using it. I do check the pronouns thread to try to use the "right" one, but when I see that someone prefers the singular they, I usually spend a lot of time figuring out how to avoid pronouns altogether. I think one time I actually bent to using the "they", but I felt dirty afterwards. But not very long, because I don't really have time to really get upset about that kind of thing.

So, my solution is to check the pronouns thread and then guess if the person hasn't posted there. I don't mind being corrected, though. I've had a couple of surprises with finding "she" used of me, but I tend to just ignore that and not even bother to correct it…
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Carlington » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:37 am UTC

Spoilered for offtopic, response to above discussion:
Spoiler:
Cool story. You choose to be in this community. There are standards involved. You don't get to unilaterally decide that you don't want to meet that standard and then get upset when people say "hey, you're not meeting our standard". Can I ask, would you arbitrarily decide to just disregard any kind of etiquette in meatspace? If you did, would it not be reasonable for people to respond negatively?

I've just decided, I'm going to call everybody "Big Time Fucko" from now on. I assume this is okay, because I don't care if I get called that so nobody should. If they don't like it, they need to make it clear every interaction, because I should not be expected to remember or to go and check every time I talk to them. In fact, really it's the fault of the forum software, for not having been designed around my particular objection to the agreed upon social standard in the first place. If the designer had just included a "Big Time Fucko?" checkbox on everyone's profile, it would be right there.

To paraphrase someone's words I saw once - when you meet someone who has a dog, you say "Who's a good boy?", but oops! the dog is a girl. So the owner is like "actually, who's a good girl?" and I bet that even you, Vytron, would change your language and remember from then on. It's the exact same principle, and it's really really not that hard. Especially given that this I something that really really has a measurable negative effect and ignoring it is basically saying "I love this community and it's people just so much that I don't even care if I hurt them."
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
Misnomer
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Misnomer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:02 am UTC

My two cents:
Spoiler:
I'm not sure escalating this to the level of whether somebody can participate in the forum at all is particularly helpful. Ultimately Vytron, what pronouns you use in your posts is up to you. However, just because you've developed a personal policy on how you use pronouns does not remotely mean others have to accept it. If someone has specifically requested you refrain from referring to them in a certain way, and you refuse, they have every right to take offence, complain and challenge you over it. Quite apart from anything else, I'm really not sure your policy is going to deliver you the stress-free playing environment you say it's designed to.



On a more cheerful note, I've been toying with the idea of drawing up a modding guide (mostly focused on game design and potential pitfalls to avoid) that players can refer to if they'd like guidance on coming up with a setup. Would this be useful, do people think? Or are the current guides sufficient enough?
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests