2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - Game Over

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:54 pm UTC

In response to Misnomer's vote, how would you have answered?

Based purely on typical setups, it's most likely to me SirG is town, then mafia, then SK. Nothing on his list struck me as all that odd. I'd have probably put 2nd mafia higher up above the crazier factions, which might have made me suspicious, but I doubt that one Mafia would know about the other at this stage.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:01 pm UTC

EBWOP: forgot to say that I think it most likely that there aren't anything other than the typical factions in a game like this with some likely crazy powers.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Misnomer
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:02 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:In response to Misnomer's vote, how would you have answered?

Based purely on typical setups, it's most likely to me SirG is town, then mafia, then SK. Nothing on his list struck me as all that odd. I'd have probably put 2nd mafia higher up above the crazier factions, which might have made me suspicious, but I doubt that one Mafia would know about the other at this stage.

I would have answered Town. There was no obligation for him to respond to my question, which would inevitably produce a detailed answer and become the subject of considerable D1 scrutiny. Town has nothing to hide so has no need to fear such attention, and combined with the fact that nothing jumps out from the list as obviously scummy (the possible exception being if dead werewolves subsequently start turning up) Town would be my hazarded guess for SirGabriel.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1406
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby freezeblade » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:08 pm UTC

Misnomer wrote:Town has nothing to hide...[clipped]


PING!

There's plenty of things that town should hide, and putting it out there that there isn't, is a great setup for role fishing.

Vote: Misnomer

If you're going to act like SDK on D1, you're going to get voted on like SDK on D1.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1406
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby freezeblade » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:09 pm UTC

EBWOP: forgot to unvote first

unvote
vote: Misnomer
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:12 pm UTC

Unvote (jimbobmacdoodle)

I found his answer strange and rushed but I'm not yet willing to vote on this tell alone as there's plenty of time to do that later. Given the size of the game I don't expect too much crazy roles (is someone aware of Suzaku's usual meta as a mod?). Otherwise I would have put Cult and Jester higher as they are more appropriate to a bastard game than Survivor or Lover in my opinion.

@Misnomer: please could you clarify for me what Mafia Usurper and Assassin do?

User avatar
crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:43 pm UTC
Location: Is so hot right now.

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby crucialityfactor » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:16 pm UTC

Misnomer wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:In response to Misnomer's vote, how would you have answered?

Based purely on typical setups, it's most likely to me SirG is town, then mafia, then SK. Nothing on his list struck me as all that odd. I'd have probably put 2nd mafia higher up above the crazier factions, which might have made me suspicious, but I doubt that one Mafia would know about the other at this stage.

I would have answered Town. There was no obligation for him to respond to my question, which would inevitably produce a detailed answer and become the subject of considerable D1 scrutiny. Town has nothing to hide so has no need to fear such attention, and combined with the fact that nothing jumps out from the list as obviously scummy (the possible exception being if dead werewolves subsequently start turning up) Town would be my hazarded guess for SirGabriel.


I feel like you're being unfair in your analysis. You claim that SirGabriel comes off as pro-town for volunteering to answer your question, but then jimbob is scummy for doing the same. You claim that jimbob is playing it safe with his answer and is scummy because of that, but I don't think SirGabriel really went out on a limb in his answer either. In my eyes, they both ended up doing the same thing. They answered your questions but then both were pretty safe and tame in what they answered.

Why do you think jimbob should be scum because of this and gabriel not?

User avatar
Misnomer
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:18 pm UTC

Ok, Town has *less* to hide then, not least because I was asking about alignments rather than, say, role abilities. I stand by early-game cautiousness as a scum tell.

Ninja@Sabrar: Assassin (sometimes calls Hunter) has a kill action, and wins if they kill a specific role they know to be in the game. Sort of like a reverse lyncher (incidentally, just realised I left lyncher out of my alignment list...). Usurper is always anti-town, and can take two forms. Often their a scum faction member who only wins if the nominal head of the scum faction is killed, at which point they become the head of the scum faction themselves. Alternatively, they begin the game in an Assassin-style role, and become head of the scum faction (and therefore join the scum team) only after successfully finding their target.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby moody7277 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:20 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Given the size of the game I don't expect too much crazy roles


Counterpoint to that is that these are player picked roles, and so I think people are going for excitement which means crazy roles will abound.

Misnomer wrote:Mod's Bastard Child - an extremely bastard role which wins by the mod acknowledging said player as their child before they die.


My first thought on reading this was, "Nebuduck?"
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:23 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
Sabrar wrote:Given the size of the game I don't expect too much crazy roles


Counterpoint to that is that these are player picked roles, and so I think people are going for excitement which means crazy roles will abound.

Sorry, I meant alignments that Misnomer listed. I'm fully aware that roles can be extremely crazy.

User avatar
SirGabriel
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby SirGabriel » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:24 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Otherwise I would have put Cult and Jester higher as they are more appropriate to a bastard game than Survivor or Lover in my opinion.

From the way Suzaku worded it, I don't think there is supposed to be anything bastard about the game with the possible exception of the roles submitted by the players. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if mafia and town are the only factions in the game.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:24 pm UTC

EBWOP: @Misnomer: thanks for the clarifications.

User avatar
Misnomer
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:31 pm UTC

crucialityfactor wrote:I feel like you're being unfair in your analysis. You claim that SirGabriel comes off as pro-town for volunteering to answer your question, but then jimbob is scummy for doing the same. You claim that jimbob is playing it safe with his answer and is scummy because of that, but I don't think SirGabriel really went out on a limb in his answer either. In my eyes, they both ended up doing the same thing. They answered your questions but then both were pretty safe and tame in what they answered.

Why do you think jimbob should be scum because of this and gabriel not?
In terms of posting at all, I'd say answering my second question was a lot less risky to a non-Town than answering my first: it was less likely to be subject to scrutiny, it could be answered more quickly, it required less thought (I was asking for a guess after all, rather than anything more solid) and overall it was on more familiar territory.

Also, I don't consider the actual answers given to be on the same level of safeness. Although it was obvious SirGabriel was going to go Town, Scum first, he was then required to produce an order for some of the other likely alignments - he couldn't have just gone 'SK, Jester, Survivor equally likely' (and if he had done I'd be voting for him).

Jimbob essentially declined to comment on SirGabriel's possible alignment in any meaningful way whatsoever - even going by the logic of 'probably one of the more likely ones in the game' he should have at least come to some sort of answer. It just struck me as completely evasive.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby moody7277 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:49 pm UTC

SirGabriel wrote:
Sabrar wrote:Otherwise I would have put Cult and Jester higher as they are more appropriate to a bastard game than Survivor or Lover in my opinion.

From the way Suzaku worded it, I don't think there is supposed to be anything bastard about the game with the possible exception of the roles submitted by the players. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if mafia and town are the only factions in the game.


Said the serial killer Krampus trying to downplay his role.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1406
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby freezeblade » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:59 pm UTC

I'm expecting a good amount of indies in this game, actually. Also, if last SS game I participated in was any indicator, I don't even think we can count on this setup being balanced.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby mpolo » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:30 pm UTC

So, my assumption is that Suzaku took a certain number of alignments and just distributed them randomly. I'd think 4-5 scum, which is most likely a mafia and a serial killer. Maybe 1-2 independents (jester, survivor, lyncher, or the like). Maybe a couple of townies are masons, though I wouldn't expect more than 2 or 3.

That said, this is all going to work together really strangely with roles and alignments, as we likely have some very unusual roles, which may or may not have interesting repercussions when combined with certain alignments.

Jimbobmacadoodle's first post was fairly cautious, but I don't know that I would have done much better at guessing alignment from a list of probable alignments. Nonetheless, we'll have to watch him to see how that develops (on the other hand, he has a fairly good statistical chance of being town, based on the last two games, though in the second we have only his word to go on that he is scum). It would be unwise to use the statistical chance as an ironclad argument here, though, because outliers do happen.

I kind of missed the wild random voting phase, which I never really get into anyway. If anybody feels strongly that I should throw out a random vote, I will do so.
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:39 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:(on the other hand, he has a fairly good statistical chance of being town, based on the last two games,

Previous games don't have any overlasting effect so I'm not sure why you would state that. The probabilities are completely independent.

User avatar
Minestrone
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:21 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby Minestrone » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:52 pm UTC

Vote: Freezeblade

Their accusation of Misnomer of role fishing is disingenuous and what Misnomer was actually saying is clear when not quoted in a snippet. Also they've been scum literally every other game I've played with them so I see no reason to beleive the trend wouldn't continue.
(yes the second reason is a joke but this is not a random vote)

I'm not familiar with everyone in this game. As far as I can tell crucialityfactor is old (maybe I played with them in Hangafia?) and jimbobmacdoodle and Sabrar are new, and there are some other names on the list who haven't posted yet that I don't recognize.

I will be very busy tomorrow and gone most of Saturday but I should be able to be active today and friday to make up for it.

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby mpolo » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:53 pm UTC

@Sabrar: That's why I said it was dangerous to argue those. I understand that the chances are independent. However, it is also true that over a long period of time, we would expect the percentage of games in which he was town to move in the direction of the theoretical expected value. That said, with the tiny sample size, it's probably devoid of meaning.
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
patzer
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:48 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby patzer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:22 pm UTC

Hi. Let's begin.

Misnomer has been very bold. I don't think his play is typical of scum. Third-party is definitely a possibility, if the breadcrumb hypothesis is true.

I don't agree with Misnomer when he suggests that jimbob is scum due to cautiousness. I'd be just as cautious about answering when we have so little info.

Misnomer wrote:I would have answered Town. There was no obligation for him to respond to my question, which would inevitably produce a detailed answer and become the subject of considerable D1 scrutiny.


Except that, if he's scum, he'd probably just as likely to answer anyway because:
1) wine
2) it's really easy to just imagine you're town when answering a question like that.
So it doesn't really give us any information at all.

Yep, too reckless for scum, too strange for town. My money's on Misnomer=3rd party.

moody7277 wrote:Said the serial killer Krampus trying to downplay his role.


...Are you trying to hint at what you PMed Suzaku?

I thought there was a rule against saying anything about what role you PMed the mod, but upon a reread I can't find any such rule. So it may be okay to do so. idk

Vote: Minestrone

because you didn't participate in the Werewolf game, and thus I don't know you. :|
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby moody7277 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:31 pm UTC

patzer wrote:...Are you trying to hint at what you PMed Suzaku?

I thought there was a rule against saying anything about what role you PMed the mod, but upon a reread I can't find any such rule. So it may be okay to do so. idk


Indeed it is forbidden. From the Game setup portion of the OP:
Suzaku wrote:Claiming the role you sent in is strictly prohibited. If you do this you will be immediately modkilled with extreme predjudice.


therefore there would be no way I would do that. The name I used is based on a movie which uses Central European Christmas lore.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:43 pm UTC
Location: Is so hot right now.

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby crucialityfactor » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:46 pm UTC

patzer wrote:...Are you trying to hint at what you PMed Suzaku?

I thought there was a rule against saying anything about what role you PMed the mod, but upon a reread I can't find any such rule. So it may be okay to do so. idk



I'm pretty sure you can't claim anything about what you submitted regardless if it is true or not. Otherwise you get modkilled.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about that because it really limits us with role speculation doesn't it? I guess the specifics of characters doesn't really matter though. Just overall balance.

User avatar
SirGabriel
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby SirGabriel » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:59 pm UTC

crucialityfactor wrote:
patzer wrote:...Are you trying to hint at what you PMed Suzaku?

I thought there was a rule against saying anything about what role you PMed the mod, but upon a reread I can't find any such rule. So it may be okay to do so. idk



I'm pretty sure you can't claim anything about what you submitted regardless if it is true or not. Otherwise you get modkilled.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about that because it really limits us with role speculation doesn't it? I guess the specifics of characters doesn't really matter though. Just overall balance.

I think we can still speculate on roles, just don't say anything that would give away what role you submitted.

User avatar
SirGabriel
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby SirGabriel » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:14 pm UTC

Now, on to role speculation. Not including the role you submitted, rank the following roles from most likely to least likely to appear in this game:

cop
doctor
jailkeeper
bus driver
redirector
some kind of private chat ability
a role one of the players in this game completely made up
godfather/miller
sane cop
non-sane cop
tracker
watcher
roleblocker

Feel free to add to the list anything I might have missed.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:18 pm UTC

SirGabriel wrote:Not including the role you submitted

Please clarify, as if we omit the role we submitted from the list, it will be obvious to everyone. Was that really your intention or did I misunderstand your request?

User avatar
SirGabriel
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby SirGabriel » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:16 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
SirGabriel wrote:Not including the role you submitted

Please clarify, as if we omit the role we submitted from the list, it will be obvious to everyone. Was that really your intention or did I misunderstand your request?

Okay, let me rephrase: please rank them in the order of most to least likely to have been submitted by a player other than yourself.

User avatar
Misnomer
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:36 pm UTC

Going by past secret santa games, I'd expect practically everything to fall into the 'a role one of the players in this game completely made up' category - the nature of the role submission instructions pretty much encouraged it. Short of one or two token "oh ho ho wouldn't it be funny if I submitted this perfectly vanilla role" entries, and maybe a classic silly role from the past, I would expect most roles to be novel and in many cases bizarre.

Patzer wrote:Except that, if he's scum, he'd probably just as likely to answer anyway because:
1) wine
2) it's really easy to just imagine you're town when answering a question like that.
So it doesn't really give us any information at all.
Both valid points in theory, but in practice from my experiences scum tend to still be more cautious, despite it making sense not to be. Scum trying to put their head into the townie mindset never quite reproduces the genuine thing.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:43 pm UTC

Most likely
non-sane cop (insane investigation results seem ideal for this kind of madness)
a role one of the players in this game completely made up (I expect at least one of these)
redirector (always fun, real problem would be if there were too many of these and not enough real abilities)
cop = sane cop (more investigation results are always good)
roleblocker (probably at least one of these)
jailkeeper (bit more specific, seems less likely)
tracker (with possibly bastard abilities this is less useful)
watcher (same as above)
doctor (seems a bit passive to me for this game)
some kind of private chat ability (depends on other roles, does not seem likely, possibly already included in alignments)
godfather/miller (works only with specific alignments, rules forbid this)
Least likely

I don't know what bus driver does so did not include it.

Ninja'd: I have no previous experience, so it is very possible that Misnomer is right. However I would think that very few original ideas would emerge, more probable is some variation on already existing ones.

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1406
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby freezeblade » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:56 pm UTC

I also, judging by previous SS games, think that the "standard role" list, as given, won't be of much help in rolespeccing. That being said I will order the list as given, with some comments. I have forgotten exactly the details of what I sent in, so I think I'm avoiding any discussion about my submitted role. I assume that most roles are more "overpowered" or "crazy" judging from previous games, so think standard roles, but with extra powers, or possible combo roles.

Many roles that some/all of the players in this game completely made up (This, I expect nearly all roles are custom, or non-standard)
redirector (These seem especially popular in SS or PYP games, I expect multiple roles have some form of redirection)
cop/sane cop/naïve cop, etc. (more like, "investigation role." Unlikely to be a "vanilla cop" sort of role, questionable sanity)
doctor (more like, "protector" role. Possibly mixed elements of jailkeeper)
jailkeeper (See above, I'd prefer to lump them together as "protector")
roleblocker (pretty popular in SS in past, most possible to just be standard, imho)
Tracker/watcher (more like "investigator" role, possibly mixed with "cop-like" abilities)
some kind of private chat ability (Unlikely to have at start [minus scumchat], as each player submitted separately. Recruiting
nightchat/daychat possible)
godfather/miller (Maybe, but unlikely due to others not knowing factions when roles were submitted)
bus driver (I don't even know much about this role, and I don't think I've seen it in the wild)

ninja'd by Sabrar, posted anyway.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
Snark
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby Snark » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:40 am UTC

I'd also guess that the majority of roles are nonstandard, if the one Secret Santa I modded is any indication.

Are emlightened and Minestrone new to everyone or just new to me?

HPMPOR wrote:There was a legendary episode in social psychology called the Robbers Cave experiment. It had been set up in the bewildered aftermath of World War II, with the intent of investigating the causes and remedies of conflicts between groups. The scientists had set up a summer camp for 22 boys from 22 different schools, selecting them to all be from stable middle-class families. The first phase of the experiment had been intended to investigate what it took to start a conflict between groups. The 22 boys had been divided into two groups of 11 -- and this had been quite sufficient.


For use in compartmentalization of remembering everyone, I will split everyone into 2 groups of 3 and 2 groups of 4 randomly. Feel free to use my groups or ignore them.

Team Emerald
mpolo
emlightened
Snark

Not feeling great about the group I've been lumped in with. I don't know emlightened and they had no substance with their random vote. mpolo, I thought you were a teacher? Independently distributed probabilities are just that: independent. While everyone approaches an average as N goes to infinity, no knowledge of future alignments can be gleaned from past alignments. FOS: Team Emerald.

Team Lemon
Madge
SirGabriel
Misnomer

Madge and Misnomer alone would make a very competent team. SirGabriel I know less about. He appears now to be the sheep among wolf, where Misnomer is the overactive wolf trying to trap players with his not so innocent question. What could they possibly have answered that he wouldn't be able to find something, anything to pounce on in. Madge should come in here and let me know what's going on with her team.

Team Grape
Sabrar
Vytron
Freezeblade
patzer

The wildcard group: I don't know Sabrar well, Vytron I can never read, freeze I always read as scum, and patzer is a little bit random. If I had to bet, I'd say the day 1 lynch target is in this group. Better band together and protect each other.

Team Pumpkin
crucialityfactor
moody7277
jimbobmacdoodle
Minestrone

cruciality is already defending jim and jimbob randomly voted them, a bit of inter-group drama ready to spark? Moody and Minestrone could provide a more interesting dynamic if Minestrone deems it worthwhile to post.

Rating each team on Likability, Lynchability, and Style:
Pumpkin
Grape
Emerald
Lemon

Vote: Misnomer
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?


Avatar by Matt

User avatar
Minestrone
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:21 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby Minestrone » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:39 am UTC

I'm not exactly new here, but I haven't played in a few months. Although I haven't played with you before Snark I'm aware of your reputation as an aggressive player and I see you are fulfilling it with your first post.

FOS on Sabrar and Freezeblade (well, just more reason to vote freezeblade) for their role speculation. Both, especially Sabrar, mention non-sane cops as likely roles in this game. Not only do I disagree with that (If I wanted to send in a unique/interesting investigative role I would change something about who they're allowed to investigate or what information their investigation gives them. Sanity isn't a very creative modifier for an investigative role), I also see it as casting unnecessary doubt on the reliability of investigations, which is not a townie move at the beginning of the game.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby Madge » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:10 am UTC

Sorry guys I'm sick today and it's also the SURVIVOR FINALE AND I GET TO WATCH IT LIVE WHILST SIMALTANEOUSLY WISHING MY HEAD WASN'T FULL OF PAIN

Basically I agree we're going to have a bunch of wild votes, unless one of the newer people thought that everyone was going to submit normal roles and lumped a random cop in there or something.

Me and Mienstrone were in a team in the Jane Austen mafia which I am sure is what you're picking up on. We were Darcy and Elizabeth so we will forever have that bond of true love to unite us <3

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, Misnomer's forcing people to post opinions is pretty awesome, but the list of normal roles is weird.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby mpolo » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:14 am UTC

I don't think that there is much chance at all of a completely normal role. Things I'd expect:

millers/godfathers (known or unknown)
normal roles with "special effects"
one-shot and two-shot powers
a couple totally strange roles that defy classification

If we're worried about a Militant Atheist, somebody could place a single vote for the mod and see if it's counted. If it's not counted, we can fully discard that idea. I don't really think it's that likely, as the MA alignment kind of requires a MA role, and we weren't allowed to write roles that required a particular alignment.

In the same way, roles like Mod's Bastard Child or Mod's Favorite are unlikely, as the person writing the role wouldn't know the alignment. These are somewhat more workable, though (a doctor who happens to also be the Mod's Bastard Child, for instance).

Beloved Princess and the like really only work as townie roles, and we were only allowed to send in townie roles. Assassin could work, but would be a somewhat weird role, as it almost forces a particular alignment (anti-town). Lyncher is more tractable in this sense, as you could have a scum role who is only able to win if he first gets rid of another role.

There will probably be some Christmas/Holiday-themed roles. At least I hope so, because that's part of the fun of Secret Santa.

Because the roles were written by us, there will most probably be no "logical" connection between the alignments of various players. That is, if "Rudolph" is scum, it doesn't tell us anything (necessarily) about "Dancer" or "Prancer".
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
emlightened
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:35 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere cosy.

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby emlightened » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:32 am UTC

Snark wrote:Are emlightened and Minestrone new to everyone or just new to me?

This is my second game. I've just been trying to get a feel for the game so far, but I'll probably post something substantial tonight.

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby Sabrar » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:17 am UTC

@Minestrone: 1) yes, I'm new to this forum, only played Smalltown before. 2) because of this I have no knowledge of what roles other players are likely to submit, therefore I made my list in a vacuum. With that in regard I still think that insane roles are very likely and as SirGabriel only put up cop as insane I went with that first. 3) I didn't think about implications like you suggested but I would ab ovo be cautious with any investigative results and not just because of insanity, we could have scum lying or simply redirection. If you look at Smalltown a lot of speculation was put into jimbobmacdoodle's results and he turned out to be scum later.

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby mpolo » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:54 am UTC

mpolo wrote:Beloved Princess and the like really only work as townie roles, and we were only allowed to send in townie roles.


That line totally didn't come out right. The point was that our roles had to work for either alignment, and a Beloved Princess who happens to be scum would skew the game extremely against town.
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
SirGabriel
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 pm UTC

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby SirGabriel » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:50 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:SirGabriel only put up cop as insane

I put non-sane, not insane. Meaning any sanity other than sane: insane, naive, paranoid, etc.

User avatar
Suzaku
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am UTC
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby Suzaku » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:11 am UTC

Vytron has requested replacement. If he cannot be replaced he will be modkilled.

Proper modpost incoming after I've had some food.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

User avatar
crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:43 pm UTC
Location: Is so hot right now.

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby crucialityfactor » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:23 pm UTC

Man, I really do not like Day 1s on a completely closed setup like this. I mean, it makes things a bit more interesting later on because it doesn't become a numbers game. But early on I feel like I have no bearings.

Is there any additional setup/role information you'd be willing to share to make help open up the conversation a bit?

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1406
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - D1 - Christmas Cheer

Postby freezeblade » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:28 pm UTC

I am very much on record with the opinion of "D1 suuuuucks"

Unless someone does something super scummy, we're all groping around in the dark.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Evil George Washington and 13 guests