Discworld Mafia: Day 5: No Deadline

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Diemo

Discworld Mafia: Day 5: No Deadline

Postby Diemo » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:19 pm UTC

Adam’s Standard RulesTM:
Spoiler:
  1. You cannot post in this thread unless you are alive and included in the player list.
  2. You cannot talk about this game outside of this thread, unless in an appropriately titled spoiler in the discussion thread.
  3. You cannot edit your posts.
  4. You cannot quote private messages from the mod.
  5. You cannot lurk.
  6. You cannot ruin the game for other players.
  7. You cannot say, imply, or pretend that a hammer vote has been cast unless it is obvious from counting the public votes in the thread.
  8. If you break any of these rules, you will lose, be removed from the game, and shame will be heaped on you.

Game Specific Rules:

Spoiler:
Deadline and Voting:
  1. You can unvote before changing votes, but you don’t have to. Only your most recent vote will count.
  2. Once a player has received the majority of votes (“hammer”), that player is dead. The day ends immediately.
  3. The mod will give the players a deadline for the end of each day. Once the deadline has been reached, players may still post and change votes (unless hammer has been reached). However, once the mod announces the end of day, all votes are finalized.
  4. If the mod comes online after deadline and no player has a majority of the votes, then the person with the most votes is lynched. If the votals are tied, then random.org will randomly select one of the tied players to be lynched, unless everyone is voting and the lynch is tied, in which case it is a No Lynch. No Lynch always wins ties.
  5. Deadline is generally a week.

Setup and Roles:
  1. The mod will never lie to the players, but he may tell slightly misleading truths (or not!).
  2. IF NON-TOWN WORK OUT YOUR SEX, THEY CAN ROLEBLOCK YOU IN ADDITION TO ANY OTHER POWERS THEY MIGHT HAVE.
  3. There are lots of power roles.
  4. Roles and factions will be revealed on the morning after death. Role details (sanity, etc.) may or may not be revealed.
  5. Order of night actions and other setup information will not be disclosed until the game ends.
  6. Flavour gives no information about the game, and may or may not be consistent.
  7. There are hidden mechanics in play. Roles are not guaranteed to be complete.

Cryptology:
  1. You are not allowed to discuss different cryptography techniques or use any new techniques you learned since the game started.
  2. Any clues/breadcrumbs/codes must be solvable without using any tools, including pen and paper.
  3. You are not allowed to suspect anyone because of their refusal to use cryptography.

Players
1. SDK
2. Madge
3. moody7277 (town,lynched D3)
4.Asmodieus kalira (town, lynched D2)
5. New User (town, killed N2)
6. Minestrone
7. Freezeblade (mafia, lynched D1)
8. ajh (town, killed N4)
9. Lawrencelot (Town, Killed N1)
10. wam (Mafia, killed N3)
11. BigNose (Town, Killed N1)

Replacements
1. kalira

THIS GAME WILL PAUSE FOR MOD MADNESS - BUT YOU CAN STILL TALK. IF EVERYONE IS WILLING TO FIGHT THOUGH MOD MADNES, WE CAN.
Last edited by Diemo on Fri May 15, 2015 3:56 pm UTC, edited 22 times in total.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

freezeblade

Re: Discworld Mafia: Pregame

Postby freezeblade » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:32 pm UTC

</egosearch_post>
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

kalira

Re: Discworld Mafia: Pregame - Confimation Phase

Postby kalira » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:36 pm UTC

♫ Freezeblade's so vain, he probably thinks this thread is about him. ♫

... I'll leave now. 8-)
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:41 pm UTC

Got it. :thumbsup:
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:42 pm UTC

This is Wizard's Mafia 3 isn't it?
Adacore wrote:In all honesty, BigNose has been pinging me slightly with almost every post since the start of the game. But he always does - I was utterly convinced he was anti-town for most of Wizardry2 and he was the High Wizard. I just can't read him.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:10 pm UTC

And all roles are out. If you have not gotten a role, I have sent it to a randomer with a name like yours, either get in touch with me, or hunt down that randomer and steal all of their accounts!

Game will start when everyone has confirmed.

THIS GAME WILL PAUSE FOR MOD MADNESS - BUT YOU CAN STILL TALK. IF EVERYONE IS WILLING TO FIGHT THOUGH MOD MADNES, WE CAN.

I think that we already know that at least on player isn't up for fighting through it though :).

I am not going to write flavour, you should read the real thing instead. With that in mind, I have put a small bit of flavour in some role PMs. This is that Lord Vetinari is temporarily indisposed, and a secret society is trying to take over Ankh-Morpork.

Each of you has recieved a sex (you can mostly infer it from your rolename anyhow). IF NON-TOWN WORK OUT YOUR SEX THEY CAN ROLEBLOCK YOU FOR FREE. There is no role in the game which will give away a name, only powers or alignments. This is an anti-claim mechanic.

I hope that i have balanced the game - let me know afterwards what you think.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:16 pm UTC

Diemo wrote:IF NON-TOWN WORK OUT YOUR SEX THEY CAN ROLEBLOCK YOU FOR FREE.

Whoa. How do you determine when they know our sex? I assume they can't just guess every night, but what about if I'm roleplaying and they guess the character? What if they think I'm roleplaying when I'm really not, and just happen to guess right?

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:22 pm UTC

SDK wrote:Whoa. How do you determine when they know our sex? I assume they can't just guess every night, but what about if I'm roleplaying and they guess the character? What if they think I'm roleplaying when I'm really not, and just happen to guess right?

Good questions - thank you. I had not considered that this would stop people from role-playing in character. That said, I don't want to change it too much, as it leaves the option of claiming, but at at a significant downside.

Roles are related to whether you are town or not, so I am just going to leave it as is. This does remove the fun of playing in character, I'm sorry if that was what you signed up for. If I had thought of it before I would have changed it but it is too late at this point.

In terms of the people just guessing randomly - no. They have to provide a justification, and it had better be a good one. This will be decided at the mod's discretion.
--Douglas Adams

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:30 pm UTC

EBWOP: I dislike leaving it to the mod's discretion, and will probably change that before the game starts. I think I will do something along the lines of giving a limited number of guesses (i.e., if they guess wrong 3 times, they can no longer role-block). I need to think this thorough though, so will leave it as is for now.

This part of the mechanics is completely open, and I will not change it once the game actually starts.
--Douglas Adams

Minestrone

Postby Minestrone » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:36 pm UTC

Confirmed

ajh

Postby ajh » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:06 pm UTC

Got my role. I would try to play regardless of the Madness, but I haven't experienced it yet…
Scum could just guess randomly for everybody N1, and after that could block everybody. Maybe don't give feedback, or allow only one guess per night?

wam

Postby wam » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:34 pm UTC

Confirm
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:55 pm UTC

confirming
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:08 pm UTC

Confirmed!
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

New User

Postby New User » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:16 pm UTC

Confirmed. I can try playing through Mod Madness, but if we start misunderstanding each other I'll not strain myself to work out the real meaning of a sentence. I'd rather just wait until it's over. The last time I tried playing mafia during Mod Madness, the thread just started filling with double posts from players saying, "wait, that's not what I meant to say? Wait, that's not it either... what's going on?" and other posts like, "what did you mean? Try rephrasing it" and at that point it becomes more trouble than it's worth.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:48 pm UTC

I've got my PM, and the character that I am is not one of the few characters I could potentially remember from reading one half of one book, so anything you see that looks like roleplaying is just your imagination.

I will power through mod madness and it will be hilarious.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:08 am UTC

I have read my role PM.

Insofar as I can read through any mod madness, which heretofore I haven't seen any manifestations of, I will do so.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:42 am UTC

Confirm

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:58 pm UTC

And that is everyone confirmed. Current deadline is in a week - 7th April at 5PM GMT.

With the non-claiming mechanic - scum will get a certain number of guesses which where they are allowed to be wrong (this number could be zero!). If they go above their allotted number of guesses then this mechanic will no longer work. Scum are told if their guess is correct and if someone is roleblocked. They are not told how many guesses that they have left.
--Douglas Adams

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:38 pm UTC

Well then.

Vote Freezeblade because I know how much he loves my Day 1 antics.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:06 pm UTC

It's good to have a mafia game going. I suspect the numbers are 8-3, maybe an independent also. The rules said lots of power roles, so this should be interesting. Also, I don't know anything about the Discworld flavour but it doesn't seem that it matters.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:37 pm UTC

I am also flavour blind!

@ New user I would expect in a game of this complexity that 8 3 is too simple.

ARe there any vote altering powers?

For the tied votes determined by random.org are these determined at the start of the game or run when there is a tie?

As that can effect stuff especially late game

Vote SDK

AS based on previous games if he is scum we will probably lose!

Ps I am flexible either way with mod madness, also I will be away friday to sun evening with limted or no internet sorry if this causes issues.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:12 pm UTC

And based on previous games, just cop me and you'll be okay. :wink:

A high powered game is not necessarily high complexity. We'll see what else Diemo has in store for us, but a high powered game is perfect for an 8/3 split since it gives the town just a little more fight against the 3 mafia.

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:56 pm UTC

I disagree with that. An 8-3 split would suit a vanilla game, but with everyone having powers, that throws a lot of balance at Town.
7-4 seems too rich for Scum, so I suspect a 7-3-1, but not sure in which shape that 1 may be.

Eeny, meeny, miny, mo . . .
I vote:

VOTE: Diemo

Yeah, like I trust THIS MOD!!
Adacore wrote:In all honesty, BigNose has been pinging me slightly with almost every post since the start of the game. But he always does - I was utterly convinced he was anti-town for most of Wizardry2 and he was the High Wizard. I just can't read him.

freezeblade

Re: Discworld Mafia: Day One

Postby freezeblade » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:18 pm UTC

Not even going to merit SDK with a responce except an eyeroll.

As for the setup? I'd say bignose is probably not far off, 7-4 seems too powerful for scum (unless they have crappy/useless powers) and town have a bunch of powerful ones. 7-3-1 is likely, especally for the sort of setups this forum sees, and it's perchant for indie players, usually SK, Jester, or Survivor.

I will attempt to play through madness, but who knows what's going to happen this year, last year was pretty...difficult to get through.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:32 pm UTC

Where's my eyeroll then!?

7-3-1 is definitely possible, but the 1 is probably not a serial killer if that's the case. 7-3-1, lynch a townie, kill a townie, kill a townie = 4-3-1 Day 1. Lynch the SK, kill a townie = 3-3-0 and a mafia win Day 2 with only one mislynch. That's the kind of thing I look to avoid when designing games, at least.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:38 pm UTC

I'm not ruling out SK. It's true that those numbers would be unfavorable on a vanilla setup, but it was described that this game has "lots" of power roles. Powers like doctor, roleblocker, jailer, bus driver, redirector, lightning rod, bulletproof, or even "hesitant" serial killer (I forgot which game I saw that in, the SK couldn't kill until N2) all could throw off that balance quite a bit. Also, the existence of a serial killer could be balanced purely by numbers. We don't know there are three players in the mafia. Maybe there's only two, plus a serial killer.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:47 pm UTC

Oh, yeah, of course. A serial killer that's more limited somehow could work, and of course there could still be an SK with only 2 mafia - then it's almost necessary. I was essentially a "hesitant" SK in MMM. But whatever. Doesn't really matter anyway. We'll see what happens tonight and draw conclusions from there.

Hey BigNose, why are you voting for the mod? You should vote for me or freezeblade instead. Get a wagon going.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:55 pm UTC

probably an in-forum joke involving the "millitant athiest" role that was passing around here for a while.

The role's goal was to get the mod lynched.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:31 pm UTC

All I know of Discworld is what I've read on TVTropes. That being said, I would think militant atheist would be slightly more possible than average.

*slowly scoots away from BigNose*

Craziness of the game was supposed to scale with number of players. Given the whole possible role-blocking mafia, two scum would probably not be out of the question. I'm also suspecting an independent faction of whatever character, so put me down in favor of a 8-2-1 or even a 7-2-1-1.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Minestrone

Postby Minestrone » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:12 am UTC

I'm in the camp that if SDK is town we have a good scumhunter on our side, and that if they're not they attract enough attention that they'll get investigated sooner or later anyway.

Vote: BigNose

because voting the mod contributes nothing to the discussion but appears slightly more active than not voting.

By the way, I too am flavor blind.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:57 am UTC

It's good to see that we're starting with some content already!

I have read one Discworld book but I forgot all the character names. I only remember there's a town called something like Ankh-Morpork. And there are giant turtles and elephants below the discworld of course.

I can't add much to the set-up speculation, and I also don't know if it'd be helpful if I would.

SDK wrote:And based on previous games, just cop me and you'll be okay. :wink:

Vote: SDK. Unless I am missing some reference here, this looks like a godfather tell or something like that.

New User wrote:I'm not ruling out SK. It's true that those numbers would be unfavorable on a vanilla setup, but it was described that this game has "lots" of power roles. Powers like doctor, roleblocker, jailer, bus driver, redirector, lightning rod, bulletproof, or even "hesitant" serial killer (I forgot which game I saw that in, the SK couldn't kill until N2) all could throw off that balance quite a bit. Also, the existence of a serial killer could be balanced purely by numbers. We don't know there are three players in the mafia. Maybe there's only two, plus a serial killer.

FoS: New User. For some reason, I associate people who give examples of roles with the mafia. Probably because they have more information about the game.

wam is asking some good questions there, but his reason to vote SDK sucks (which is allowed, the game barely started)

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:11 pm UTC

Votals:
Freezeblade (1) - SDK
SDK (2) - wam, Lawrencelot
Diemo (1) - Bignose
Bignose (1) - Minestrone

ARe there any vote altering powers?

No comment.

For the tied votes determined by random.org are these determined at the start of the game or run when there is a tie?

Random.org is run when the tie happens.
--Douglas Adams

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:24 pm UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:Unless I am missing some reference here, this looks like a godfather tell or something like that.

Yeah, it was a reference to the one scum game I've lost on this site. I was copped Night 1 in Doctor Who and lynched Day 2. Just an egotistical joke - if I'm scum, that's the only way to beat me!

Pretty sure Lawrencelot's town, just so everyone's aware. Minestrone is my strongest scum read, so I think I'll move my vote there.

Vote Minestrone.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:26 pm UTC

Oh, note that I have added a rule to the setup. Rule seven: There are hidden mechanics in play. No role is guaranteed to be complete.
--Douglas Adams

wam

Postby wam » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:52 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:probably an in-forum joke involving the "millitant athiest" role that was passing around here for a while.

The role's goal was to get the mod lynched.

Offtopic There was a game i fake claimed Millitant athiest and got the mod lynched :oops: That was fun

Minestrone wrote:
because voting the mod contributes nothing to the discussion but appears slightly more active than not voting.

Thats a good point it does smack of trying to appear active

Unvote

Vote Bignose

SDK wrote:Pretty sure Lawrencelot's town, just so everyone's aware. Minestrone is my strongest scum read, so I think I'll move my vote there.

Care to provide any logic or justification for you reads? I know its early

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:05 pm UTC

Later.

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:24 pm UTC

wam wrote:
Minestrone wrote:because voting the mod contributes nothing to the discussion but appears slightly more active than not voting.

Thats a good point it does smack of trying to appear active
Unvote
Vote Bignose

I thought it was pretty poor of Minestrone to provide an almost non-existent reason to vote for me, but then I find that you back him up on the same non-existent reason.

Seeing as apart from my ego-post, that it was my first post and for band-waggoning on nothing:

Vote: WAM

FYI For those who are flavour-blind, some major characters:
Lord Vetinari - Patrician of Ankh-Morpork
Rincewind - Useless Wizard
Ridcully - Dean of Unseen University (of Magic )
Nanny Ogg - Witch
Granny Weatherwax
Several characters of the Police Watch
- Commander Sam Vimes
- Captain Carrot
- Sgt's Angua & Detritus
- Fred Colon & Nobby Nobbs
& DEATH - only speaks in CAPITALS
all floating on 4 elephants, on top of the Great A'Tuin, a turtle that flies through space.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:28 pm UTC

Haha, I forgot Death! I haven't read any Terry Pratchett in years, but I did read that book. It was a good one.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:31 pm UTC

wam wrote:Care to provide any logic or justification for you reads? I know its early [to SDK]

Knowing his method for finding town early in the game, i'm betting it's by his tone of Lawrencelot's first post, or how "enthuasitic, but not too enthuasitic" he sounds.

Return to “Mafia”