Game of Thrones: The TV Show (novelisation coming soon)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

CorruptUser

Re: Game of Thrones: The TV Show (novelisation coming soon)

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:50 pm UTC

Anyone else get the sense that Stannis is Autistic? Inability to connect with others, obsession with the rules?

roband

Postby roband » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:52 pm UTC

I think that diagnosing autism has become such a trendy thing to do that you're now doing it to a character who's pretty much just "cold and stern".

redraw

Postby redraw » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:58 pm UTC

roband wrote:I think that diagnosing autism has become such a trendy thing to do that you're now doing it to a character who's pretty much just "cold and stern".

Yeah I agree, or maybe he has aspergers

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:08 pm UTC

I admit, I read the first two sentences paragraphs, then bookmarked and closed the tab again. It became very obvious that this would not just spoil a few minutes of the show (like Joffrey's thing), but potentially much more. I will however read all of it very carefully the moment I close the backcover of the last book.

Yakk & Adacore & LaserGuy wrote:[Stuff about the wall]

I was about to post a thousand and one things I thought about on my commute from work, but then I remembered to ask myself if I still care, so no. I concede that maybe what the Wildlings did was not so stupid after all.

Edit: Paragraphs, not sentences, where is my head today?

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:59 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:

I admit, I read the first two sentences paragraphs, then bookmarked and closed the tab again. It became very obvious that this would not just spoil a few minutes of the show (like Joffrey's thing), but potentially much more. I will however read all of it very carefully the moment I close the backcover of the last book.
Yes, that contains spoilers like an atomic race car.

Again, even the URL in that spoiler block above contains spoilers. And the website is pages of such speculation.

It probably isn't safe reading it after you have read the last currently published book.

I only shared it because you expressed interest.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:08 am UTC

The wall has spells embedded in it to repel Wights and White Walkers, not wildlings (humans).

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:47 am UTC

The wall is clearly magical, but it's not clear exactly how it works. It's obviously not a perfect protection, or there would be no need to garrison it. The Night's Watch was not founded to keep Wildlings out, after all. And it is heavily implied that if the Wildlings will manage to get past the wall, then it will lose its function against White Walkers as well, though in what manner is not clear.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:20 pm UTC

Minor spoiler on upcoming season 5 (casting related, not book related).

Spoiler:
Hodor has confirmed that he and Bran will not be appearing in Season 5. Also, Hodor is a professional DJ.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:30 pm UTC

above news article wrote:Nairn is currently touring Australia with his DJ show Rave Of Thrones

This makes my day.

Also, I suspose this answers the queston of what they are going to do about the bran/hodor storyline, as they've pretty much used up all the book material so far.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:56 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
above news article wrote:Nairn is currently touring Australia with his DJ show Rave Of Thrones

This makes my day.

Also, I suspose this answers the queston of what they are going to do about the bran/hodor storyline, as they've pretty much used up all the book material so far.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but
Spoiler:
So is Sansa's, right? So they're just not going to show her for an entire season as well?

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:22 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but
Spoiler:
So is Sansa's, right? So they're just not going to show her for an entire season as well?

Spoiler:
Sophie Turner says that exciting, surprising stuff will happen to Sansa in season 5, so presumably they're creating new material for the show.
Exit the vampires' castle.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:07 pm UTC

re: Casting discussion above

Spoiler:
There is still a bit of material in the books for Sansa's plotline that has not been covered yet. There is realistically probably enough material remaining for a few episodes with a bit of filler since she doesn't get that much screen time anyway (though neither does Bran). There is also some divergence between the show and book storylines which may allow for more flexibility without pulling too far ahead of the books.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:11 pm UTC

With sansa (next season)
Spoiler:
There is that entire who-is-worthy to rule the vale plot
which I don't think was resolved last season was it?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:50 pm UTC

Bear in mind that GRRM is a consultant of sorts in the writing of the TV show. While he may not have finished writing the 6th book, he'll have an idea of where he wants the story to go. Whole chapters may have been completed. So they could use material that hasn't been published in ASOIAF yet.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:02 pm UTC

It could also mean the one storyline is more critical to get right than the other?

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:37 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Bear in mind that GRRM is a consultant of sorts in the writing of the TV show. While he may not have finished writing the 6th book, he'll have an idea of where he wants the story to go. Whole chapters may have been completed. So they could use material that hasn't been published in ASOIAF yet.

Also, while GRRM is a writer, and the books are making him a lot of money, the tv series is probably making him huge frigging shitloads of money. I would not be surprised if he was more focused on keeping the tv show on the rails by providing material for them, than on finishing the last few books.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:21 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Bear in mind that GRRM is a consultant of sorts in the writing of the TV show. While he may not have finished writing the 6th book, he'll have an idea of where he wants the story to go. Whole chapters may have been completed. So they could use material that hasn't been published in ASOIAF yet.

Also, while GRRM is a writer, and the books are making him a lot of money, the tv series is probably making him huge frigging shitloads of money. I would not be surprised if he was more focused on keeping the tv show on the rails by providing material for them, than on finishing the last few books.

Honestly I don't think he cares that much about the money. He went to HBO with this for substantially less money than he could have made from selling it to a studio for feature film rights, specifically because he didn't want his story butchered and he was excited to see his characters and world come to life(and lets be honest, there is no practical way to do ASOIAF via films). He works with the TV show because he wants them to get it right and that's going be what keeps it on the rails.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:28 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Diadem wrote:Also, while GRRM is a writer, and the books are making him a lot of money, the tv series is probably making him huge frigging shitloads of money. I would not be surprised if he was more focused on keeping the tv show on the rails by providing material for them, than on finishing the last few books.

Honestly I don't think he cares that much about the money. He went to HBO with this for substantially less money than he could have made from selling it to a studio for feature film rights, specifically because he didn't want his story butchered and he was excited to see his characters and world come to life(and lets be honest, there is no practical way to do ASOIAF via films). He works with the TV show because he wants them to get it right and that's going be what keeps it on the rails.
I think he cares a little about money and a lot about fame and glory.
-Adam

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:36 pm UTC

Apropos of nothing, I am most of the way through the third book, and the Starks have just arrived at The Twins for Edmure's wedding. I... I almost don't want to continue reading, because I know what happens next.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:47 pm UTC

There are some minor parts of the RW in the book that are missing from the show. You'll notice them.

Minor book spoiler
Spoiler:
The food is awful but plenty of wine
The musicians are awful as well

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:32 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:
Dark567 wrote:
Diadem wrote:Also, while GRRM is a writer, and the books are making him a lot of money, the tv series is probably making him huge frigging shitloads of money. I would not be surprised if he was more focused on keeping the tv show on the rails by providing material for them, than on finishing the last few books.

I think he cares a little about money and a lot about fame and glory.

He has certainly indicated in interviews that he is not upset by the "dumptruck full of money" that HBO has given him. Not that he should be.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:18 am UTC

I pronounce HBO GO as H-Bogo, so it rhymes with Drogo.

Boyd1

Postby Boyd1 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:23 am UTC

Where can i watch "Game of Thrones" with English subtitles?

The show "game of thrones" season 1.....where can i watch in online with English captions/subtitles under the screen
thanks

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:07 pm UTC

I imagine any service that offers it online (HBO Go, for example?) will have an option for subtitles. I could be wrong, though - I've not used it myself.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:03 am UTC

If the latest interview with the Fairley happens to be true instead of being taken out of context, I'm gonna be pissed.

Spoiler:
It was already a stretch to cut Jojen Reed out of the story. Cutting Lady Stoneheart out is just dumb. There are few characters as iconic as her, and she was a major vehicle for vindicating the audience through some sense of vengeance.
Last edited by Felstaff on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding spoiler tags
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:06 am UTC

Lucrece wrote:
Spoiler:
I
It was already a stretch to cut Jojen Reed out of the story. Cutting Lady Stoneheart out is just dumb. There are few characters as iconic as her, and she was a major vehicle for vindicating the audience through some sense of vengeance.
Spoilers concerning Lady Stoneheart
Spoiler:
If they cut her, I have to believe its because she decided not to come back, and not for creative reasons. D&D love to shock people and that would have been pretty shocking(well at least it would have then, now it seems like its spoiled for everyone).
Last edited by Felstaff on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: and here, too.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:46 pm UTC

Uh spoilers much there Lucrece?

Anyways, regarding Jojen, it's not obvious whether he had much of a future role or not in the books anyways. The series has caught up with Bran's story in the books (so much so that I believe they said he won't be in next season), so its quite possible Jojen's fate on the show is something that's going to happen one or two chapters into the next book anyways.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:44 am UTC

Azor a Pie.
The Pie That Was Promised.
The Warden of the Yeast.
The Torte Commander.
The Knight of Flour.
The Lord o' Scones.
The Usyruper.

"What is hot may never pie, but rises again, softer and tastier."

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:33 pm UTC

Yeah it would be funny to see Hot Pie lead a rebellion and end up on the Iron Throne.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:03 pm UTC

Recently I was watching the Michael Mann movie Heat, and I noticed that the heavily repeated four-note motif that plays during the final scene sounds just like the four-note motif used in Stannis and Melisandre's themes on GoT. I'm not saying so in a bad way – it's a cool motif, and I'd imagine that Heat didn't originate it. I just thought it was a fun little similarity, and to the best of my googling, no one online has pointed it out before.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:40 pm UTC

That's a Moby song. I guess there are similarities, in that there are, indeed, four notes in the motif.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:01 am UTC

Also the fact that the notes progress in a similar way. I think it's more evident in the martial version used in "Warrior of Light".

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:18 pm UTC

A thought occurs about the bizarre seasonal cycle in the GoT world.
Spoiler:
The "Doom of Valyria" as described in the books sounds like a catastrophic seismic upheaval, a whole bunch of volcanos going off at once. As certain characters sail near to it, the sky still glows red, which means the volcanos are still active. Their level of activity could be variable and unpredictable. In years when they're pumping more ash and dust into the air than usual, it would cause significant cooling, perhaps enough to overwhelm the effects of the regular seasons.

Or, you know, magic.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:06 pm UTC

The long winters have been going on for far longer than that. That event happened mere centuries ago.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:20 pm UTC

I am pretty sure that there is Word of God that the season length is magical. Though I cant find a link at the moment.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:35 am UTC

No, but you're right. GRRM said it's magical, not some elaborate solar system

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 am UTC

Which is kinda disappointing. I maintained hope for a while that there was no magic in ASoIaF. I love the idea of a story that appears fantastical turning out to be science fiction.

Like here's this medieval setting with knights and dragons and crazy seasons which is actually just a human colony on another planet that reverted to caveman status and eventually built back up to this.

Alas, ASoIaF is not that story... :'(
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:43 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:Like here's this medieval setting with knights and dragons and crazy seasons which is actually just a human colony on another planet that reverted to caveman status and eventually built back up to this.

Alas, ASoIaF is not that story... :'(

Sounds like you'd enjoy Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:13 pm UTC

The Majipoor series could also fit the bill.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:51 am UTC

And Bakker's Prince of Nothing series too... possibly!

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”