Anesthesiology Math

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Syntax
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:39 am UTC

Anesthesiology Math

Postby Syntax » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:23 am UTC

Hello and good evening!


I recently heard that alcohol is removed from the blood stream at a rate which is proportional to the deviation from its normal amount(yes, even the most innocent of you have even a *little* bit in there!). My brain immediately makes the jump to say that one's BAC is of the form f(x)=Ce^rt.

I'd be very interested in taking a crash-course in anesthesiology, but I'd be content to know how to compute the constants in this particular case(without experimentation, of course!), based on physical characteristics such as weight. Any info is well appreciated!

User avatar
Nimz
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:49 am UTC
Location: the origin

Re: Anesthesiology Math

Postby Nimz » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:37 am UTC

Syntax wrote:My brain immediately makes the jump to say that one's BAC is of the form f(x)=Ce^rt
Plus K. And f(t), not f(x) [/pedantic]
K would be the normal amount of alcohol in the blood, which, as you stated, is non-zero.
LOWA

Syntax
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:39 am UTC

Re: Anesthesiology Math

Postby Syntax » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:40 am UTC

oops! haha good catch.


....I should mention I've been drinking.

ikerous
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:28 am UTC

Re: Anesthesiology Math

Postby ikerous » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:51 am UTC

Syntax wrote:oops! haha good catch.


....I should mention I've been drinking.

Never drink and derive?

:|

User avatar
Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana
Posts: 3521
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:51 am UTC
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Anesthesiology Math

Postby Gordon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:01 am UTC

I used to be better at math when I had had a few..

Biolution can attest to this.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

User avatar
Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.
Posts: 2926
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:48 am UTC
Location: In ur fora posting in teh threads

Re: Anesthesiology Math

Postby Mathmagic » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:05 am UTC

It would definitely be a differential equation. It reminds me of a restoring force in physics, where the force it exerts is proportional to the deviation from the equilibrium position.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

User avatar
ATCG
Posts: 471
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:44 am UTC
Location: Straight up the jω axis

Re: Anesthesiology Math

Postby ATCG » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:34 am UTC

mathmagic wrote:It would definitely be a differential equation. It reminds me of a restoring force in physics, where the force it exerts is proportional to the deviation from the equilibrium position.
Most definitely. Also a simple series RC circuit. The equation can be rewritten slightly as f(t) = Ce-t/τ, where τ is what an electrical engineer would recognize as a time constant (the product of R and C in the case of an RC circuit). If at t=0 I chug down some quantity of adult beverage that instantaneously brings my BAC up to C, then f(0)=C, f(τ)=C(1/e), f(2τ)=C(1/e2), and so on - my BAC decreasing by a factor of 1/e with the passage of each time τ.

If we introduce a "normal" amount of alcohol K, we wind up with f(t) = (C-K)e-t/τ+K
"The age of the universe is 100 billion, if the units are dog years." - Sean Carroll

User avatar
Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.
Posts: 2926
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:48 am UTC
Location: In ur fora posting in teh threads

Re: Anesthesiology Math

Postby Mathmagic » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:41 pm UTC

ATCG wrote:
mathmagic wrote:It would definitely be a differential equation. It reminds me of a restoring force in physics, where the force it exerts is proportional to the deviation from the equilibrium position.
Most definitely. Also a simple series RC circuit. The equation can be rewritten slightly as f(t) = Ce-t/τ, where τ is what an electrical engineer would recognize as a time constant (the product of R and C in the case of an RC circuit). If at t=0 I chug down some quantity of adult beverage that instantaneously brings my BAC up to C, then f(0)=C, f(τ)=C(1/e), f(2τ)=C(1/e2), and so on - my BAC decreasing by a factor of 1/e with the passage of each time τ.

If we introduce a "normal" amount of alcohol K, we wind up with f(t) = (C-K)e-t/τ+K

Well, just about anybody in the sciences would recognize it as the characteristic time, which is equal to the amount of time that needs to pass for the original amount of whatever is decaying, to decay to 1/e worth.

I don't think the DE would be as simple as you explained, because the OP stated that dC/dt is proportional to the amount of alcohol in the body.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Token
Posts: 1481
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:07 pm UTC
Location: London

Re: Anesthesiology Math

Postby Token » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:53 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:
ATCG wrote:
mathmagic wrote:It would definitely be a differential equation. It reminds me of a restoring force in physics, where the force it exerts is proportional to the deviation from the equilibrium position.
Most definitely. Also a simple series RC circuit. The equation can be rewritten slightly as f(t) = Ce-t/τ, where τ is what an electrical engineer would recognize as a time constant (the product of R and C in the case of an RC circuit). If at t=0 I chug down some quantity of adult beverage that instantaneously brings my BAC up to C, then f(0)=C, f(τ)=C(1/e), f(2τ)=C(1/e2), and so on - my BAC decreasing by a factor of 1/e with the passage of each time τ.

If we introduce a "normal" amount of alcohol K, we wind up with f(t) = (C-K)e-t/τ+K

Well, just about anybody in the sciences would recognize it as the characteristic time, which is equal to the amount of time that needs to pass for the original amount of whatever is decaying, to decay to 1/e worth.

I don't think the DE would be as simple as you explained, because the OP stated that dC/dt is proportional to the amount of alcohol in the body.

Is that equation not the one that is always derived when a function's derivative is proportional to the difference between the function and a constant? Why would it be more complicated?
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

User avatar
ATCG
Posts: 471
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:44 am UTC
Location: Straight up the jω axis

Re: Anesthesiology Math

Postby ATCG » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:52 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:
ATCG wrote:
mathmagic wrote:It would definitely be a differential equation. It reminds me of a restoring force in physics, where the force it exerts is proportional to the deviation from the equilibrium position.
Most definitely. Also a simple series RC circuit. The equation can be rewritten slightly as f(t) = Ce-t/τ, where τ is what an electrical engineer would recognize as a time constant (the product of R and C in the case of an RC circuit). If at t=0 I chug down some quantity of adult beverage that instantaneously brings my BAC up to C, then f(0)=C, f(τ)=C(1/e), f(2τ)=C(1/e2), and so on - my BAC decreasing by a factor of 1/e with the passage of each time τ.

If we introduce a "normal" amount of alcohol K, we wind up with f(t) = (C-K)e-t/τ+K

Well, just about anybody in the sciences would recognize it as the characteristic time, which is equal to the amount of time that needs to pass for the original amount of whatever is decaying, to decay to 1/e worth.
I agree completely. It's about the simplest DE imaginable and pops up all over the place. My intention wasn't to claim it as the exclusive domain of electrical engineering, but to offer one more application (in addition to physiology and physics) of the DE to a specific problem and show how it adds to our physical intuition of the original problem.

mathmagic wrote:I don't think the DE would be as simple as you explained [the solution that I offered was f(t) = (C-K)e-t/τ+K], because the OP stated that dC/dt is proportional to the amount of alcohol in the body.
I'm prepared to be proved wrong (it would hardly be the first time), but I'm pretty confident that this fits the OP's criteria. I would note that f(0)=C and f(t)→K as t→∞, as we would expect. Also, df(t)/dt = (C-K)(-1/τ)e-t/τ, which is proportional to f(t)-K = (C-K)e-t/τ, as desired.
"The age of the universe is 100 billion, if the units are dog years." - Sean Carroll

User avatar
Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.
Posts: 2926
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:48 am UTC
Location: In ur fora posting in teh threads

Re: Anesthesiology Math

Postby Mathmagic » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:47 pm UTC

@Token, ATCG

After thinking over it last night and for today, I realize it's a lot simpler than I originally thought. After working it out for myself, I got pretty much the same thing as you did, ATCG.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

User avatar
FiddleMath
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:46 am UTC
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Anesthesiology Math

Postby FiddleMath » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:02 am UTC

Anesthesiology... Well, you need to get comfortable with modular arithmetic. Get comfortable with solving some basic Diophantine equations, and then learn about the Euler totient function and the Legendre symbol. Yes, I'd say those are the basics of number theory. *rimshot, followed by uncomfortable silence*

User avatar
McHell
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:52 pm UTC
Location: Ellowen Deeowen

Re: Anesthesiology Math

Postby McHell » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:45 am UTC

The alcohol-removal system is mathematically similar to the blood-sugar/insulin control system. It's a simple control mechanism, can be used to teach math to first years bio students.

User avatar
Nimz
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:49 am UTC
Location: the origin

Re: Anesthesiology Math

Postby Nimz » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:26 pm UTC

ATCG wrote:If at t=0 I chug down some quantity of adult beverage that instantaneously brings my BAC up to C

I wonder about the assumption that BAC instantaneously goes up to C when you chug down some quantity of adult beverage. My naive guess is that if the alcohol removal process didn't function, the BAC would climb logistically when said beverage is so consumed.
LOWA

User avatar
ATCG
Posts: 471
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:44 am UTC
Location: Straight up the jω axis

Re: Anesthesiology Math

Postby ATCG » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:54 pm UTC

Nimz wrote:
ATCG wrote:If at t=0 I chug down some quantity of adult beverage that instantaneously brings my BAC up to C

I wonder about the assumption that BAC instantaneously goes up to C when you chug down some quantity of adult beverage. My naive guess is that if the alcohol removal process didn't function, the BAC would climb logistically when said beverage is so consumed.

A hypodermic syringe loaded with ethanol and saline would yield a better approximation to a step function, but then how do you order that from a bartender? :wink:
"The age of the universe is 100 billion, if the units are dog years." - Sean Carroll

User avatar
McHell
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:52 pm UTC
Location: Ellowen Deeowen

Re: Anesthesiology Math

Postby McHell » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:09 am UTC

ATCG wrote:A hypodermic syringe loaded with ethanol and saline would yield a better approximation to a step function, but then how do you order that from a bartender? :wink:

It's... reasonable. Burning up a unit of alcohol takes an hour, emptying one can be done in a second; any sip taken arrives in your stomach spread over less than a second.

So a 1:3600 difference in timescale, yes, step functions are the reasonable assumption. More than integrating a "steady input" during 1 sec, that just screws up your equations (a bitsy) and leads to the same first 3-4 digits in your solution. (I've taught these things in 1st year math for biologists.)

Incidentally, that syringe is filled with insulin in the analogous example I stated before...

Gyvulys624
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:49 pm UTC

Re: Anesthesiology Math

Postby Gyvulys624 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:43 am UTC

Gordon wrote:I used to be better at math when I had had a few..

Biolution can attest to this.


Just reading through thread, and I remembered this when I came across your reponse: http://xkcd.com/323/


Return to “Mathematics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests