Portal! WILD MASS GUESSING AND THEORIZING AND BULLSHIT!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Who do you trust more?

Mainstream Media
11%
GLaDOS
89%

Total votes: 344

Ayelis

Portal! WILD MASS GUESSING AND THEORIZING AND BULLSHIT!

Postby Ayelis » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:29 pm UTC

This thread is about Portal, conjectures about storyline possibilities, secret areas, multiple endings, getting accomplishments, or whatever!

- SPOILERS AHEAD -

- CAKE AHEAD -

- COMPANION CUBES AHEAD -

Okay, so... Now that everyone else is out of the way, what do you guys think? Is Chell really a "Test Participant"? Or is something more sinister going on? Has anybody here ever seen "Cube", "Cube 2: Hypercube", or "Cube Zero"? Could this be one of those scenarios? There's not much back story that I've seen, but there's a lot of side-story, in the secret areas you find, the messages written in blood, etc, etc... My hypothesis is that Chell is one of the scientists who was involved in development for the Aperture Science projects, and somehow things went wrong, and she got trapped in the malfunctioning system. (Well, at the end, GLaDOS does say "You're not even a full-time employee...") The ending credits are sinister though!

Now, "Ending # 1" on level 19 could have been a lot more convincing... I got past it on the first try, of course. You see the fire and you're like "Oh Crap!" but then there's a boat load of concrete walls so you're all "Whew! Time to bust this joint!"... But later, I went back and let the platform take me into the fire. You just die and restart the level. I wanted another ending for 'dying in the fire pit'... But I guess I can't have everything...

My question regards "Ending # 2"... Is it really the best ending? Because it's all I got, and it didn't seem to unlock the 'beat portal' objective... What I got is; I beat GLaDOS, and then it showed me topside, all the rubble strewn around me was on fire, and I was seeing the world from the "fallen over and dead" perspective. Is this how it's supposed to end? Someone on Youtube posted the same ending. Should I have beaten GLaDOS faster? Is there a way to get past Companion Cube level without toasting your cube? Has anyone else found alternate endings?

The only place I really got stuck is Level 18, because there were no previous tutorials on using upwards momentum to shoot higher platforms... I thought I had to try and jump to them, but I was doing it wrong.

Now how are you supposed to beat those challenge levels using only 2 portals?! That's crazy talk!
Last edited by Ayelis on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:31 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
--
Don't tase me bro!

Ayelis

Re: Portal Secrets and Storylines? - ***spoiler warning***

Postby Ayelis » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:41 pm UTC

How do you think Aperture Science will get along with Black Mesa? I haven't had a chance to play Episode 1 or 2 yet, but I'm looking forward to downloading them...

Also, what would Chell's Heel-Springs need to be made of in order to pull off "Terminal Velocity" and not die a horrible grisly death when you step out of the portal funnel?
--
Don't tase me bro!

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:41 pm UTC

Am I the only person in the world who found level 18 to be really obvious?

Anyway as for finishing challenge 14 in 2 portals:
Spoiler:
Place one portal at the base of the "complimentary victory lift" placing it while facing away from the lift will give you the best orientation. Now go over to the energy ball reciever thingy, once the stairs go back down, jump down and open your other portal, hold forward and you should land on top of the lift.

And as for not recieving the achievement, were you in commentary mode or not? If not, then sv_cheats may have been 1 for no real reason at all.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:18 am UTC

>sigh<... *wants an orange box*

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:39 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:Am I the only person in the world who found level 18 to be really obvious?

The normal one is a little tricky, mainly the turret room, but not too bad. The advanced one is very not-obvious. I had to:

Solveing 18 advanced spoilers:
Spoiler:
Twist and land a portal on a narrow target in a 1/4 second window while moving at full speed.

Portal to a bit of metal wall that stuck out just a little farther than other bits.

Use a security camera to take out one turret to give me a tiny bit of safe space.

Step half out of a portal in a wall above certain death, fire a portal and duck back through before it landed.

Double fling across a long distance with turrets on all sides shooting as as I went, and then run for cover after landing.

Crazy fun!

Now, some quotes from GLaDOS about the greater setting:

Are you trying to escape? <laughter> Things have changed since the last time you left the building. What's going on out there will make you wish you were back in here.

I have an infinite capacity for knowledge and even I'm not sure what's going on outside.

All I know if I'm the only thing standing between us.. and THEM. Well, I was.

Unless you have a plan for building some supercomputer parts in a big hurry this place isn't going to be safe much longer.

Good job on that by the way. [Tone changes] Sarcasm series(?) self test complete.

My guess is whatever lab the portal testing was in has been inaccessible since pre-combine invasion days.. now it is accessible (if you brave whatever is left of the defenses

There's also a powerpoint style slide show in an office near the end about competing with Black Mesa. 88% of Black Mesa's defense contracts were not from a formal bidding process... I suspect corruption!

Also, "The cake is a lie" is a lie. My new desktop wallpaper is proof.

Click for larger version
There are two types of people in the world: 1) those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:05 am UTC

My Thought on the "Greater Setting" draws in part from level 19 and in part from HL2: EP2.

In level nineteen, if you look around a bit, you learn that Aperture science is trying to (unsuccessfully) compete with Black Mesa. Also, during the GLaDOS 'fight', GLaDOS says something to the effect of "Things have changed outside...you don't want to go out there...I'm really smart and even I don't know whats going on out there...I'm the only one keeping them out."

In various comments during the 'fight'

Given that the ending of HL2 EP2 confirms that
Spoiler:
The Aperture Science company at least is part of the rest of the half-life 'greater' setting instead of just derivative, I suppose we also know this from developer comments etc.

I think that the disaster that caused the final abandonment of the 'Enrichment Center' and the Black Mesa Incident, are one and the same, and that the 'way things have changed' outside is that either the Xen aliens are/have invaded via portal storms etc. or that Portal takes place later in the HL storyline and the Combine are knocking around and what not.

I would not be surprised if we learn more about Portal in HL2 ep3 than we did in Portal.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:23 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I think that the disaster that caused the final abandonment of the 'Enrichment Center' and the Black Mesa Incident, are one and the same, and that the 'way things have changed' outside is that either the Xen aliens are/have invaded via portal storms etc. or that Portal takes place later in the HL storyline and the Combine are knocking around and what not.

But hasn't Valve said that Portal takes place before the Black Mesa Incident?

And for advanced 18, I only took out 2 turrets, one of which wouldn't have actually shot me at any point anyway. And I'm not actually sure how I got across the room in advanced 18, it was just kind of a "wheee" I'm here! And then "o.O How did I get up to the cube exactly?

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:04 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:But hasn't Valve said that Portal takes place before the Black Mesa Incident?

My impression is Portal takes place after HL1, but the Deadly Neurotoxin Gas incident pre-dates HL1. There are references to racing Black Mesa to develop Portal technology, I think in the Easter Egg site along with all the sillyness about shower curtains. And obviously competing with Black Mesa for DoD contracts would have to be pre-combine invasion.

Amnesiasoft wrote:And for advanced 18, I only took out 2 turrets, one of which wouldn't have actually shot me at any point anyway.

You took out two? I could only figure out how to take out one, but that was enough.
There are two types of people in the world: 1) those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:50 am UTC

DrStalker wrote:You took out two? I could only figure out how to take out one, but that was enough.

One with the camera, and I jumped on the other one :)

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:56 am UTC

DrStalker wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:But hasn't Valve said that Portal takes place before the Black Mesa Incident?

My impression is Portal takes place after HL1, but the Deadly Neurotoxin Gas incident pre-dates HL1. There are references to racing Black Mesa to develop Portal technology, I think in the Easter Egg site along with all the sillyness about shower curtains. And obviously competing with Black Mesa for DoD contracts would have to be pre-combine invasion.

It may be that the abandonment is a result of the Deadly Neurotoxin incident (I'm not sure how deadly that neurotoxin really was though, neurotoxins are generally very fast acting) But GLaDOS also said something about having an ethical core put in to prevent further deadly neurotoxin incidents (possibly a fabrication) so it could go either way, but I still get the definite impression that the way things 'have changed' is a result of either the Black Mesa incident or the Combine invasion and that we will learn more in Episode 3 (hopefully it will come with Portal two, or at least a portal map-pack)
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:13 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:
DrStalker wrote:

It may be that the abandonment is a result of the Deadly Neurotoxin incident (I'm not sure how deadly that neurotoxin really was though, neurotoxins are generally very fast acting) But GLaDOS also said something about having an ethical core put in to prevent further deadly neurotoxin incidents (possibly a fabrication) so it could go either way, but I still get the definite impression that the way things 'have changed' is a result of either the Black Mesa incident or the Combine invasion and that we will learn more in Episode 3 (hopefully it will come with Portal two, or at least a portal map-pack)

I think that the outside action is the Combine invasion (which occurs directly after the Black Mesa incident, iirc (which I may not, because I'm not up on my HL backstory)). Then again, the extent to which you (and Chell) are being tested is also questionable. The entire post-test chamber experience still saves as Test Chamber 19. Did GLaDOS orchestrate the entire thing? It seems unlikely, thinking about it, that she wouldn't know the capabilities of the portal gun or Chell's ingenuity in using it, after 18 test chambers. And, according to the song, GLaDOS is still alive. There may be a possibility that GLaDOS's "surprise" was the party after all, that she wasn't lying about it and her morality core fell out by chance. Maybe. Maybe she dropped it to see what Chell would do.

I wish the ending was more flexible that way. What happens if you assume the Party Submission Position? What happens if you don't drop the morality core into the fire? There really is cake at the end...

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:17 am UTC

DrStalker wrote:

Amnesiasoft wrote:And for advanced 18, I only took out 2 turrets, one of which wouldn't have actually shot me at any point anyway.

You took out two? I could only figure out how to take out one, but that was enough.

I knocked out all of the turrets, through a bit of portal karate. I felt really dumb when I looked at some solutions on YouTube that were so much more elegant than my "stay the course, previous solution still works" mentality. Also, the solution they use is the only way I've found of beating least portals challenge 18, where you drop a portal on the platform beneath the door leading to the sentry room, push the button, plant the other portal where the wall opens to let you in, and launch yourself without messing with the ball launcher or the platform. If that makes sense.

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:56 am UTC

My solution in 18 took a million years of thought but...

Spoiler:
I got to the corner where the button to open the receptor was, then hid there as I attacked the little d00ds one by one by putting the orange portal at the focus of the lazer, and the blue on a scorched spot on the wall where the plasma would hit. DIE!!

I haven't even tried the challenges yet, except one. I tried the least portals on one of them, got 9 and was happy for getting the goal, then saw the cake goal was 5 and stared...
Wait. With a SPOON?!

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:24 am UTC

Geekthras wrote:My solution in 18 took a million years of thought but...

Spoiler:
I got to the corner where the button to open the receptor was, then hid there as I attacked the little d00ds one by one by putting the orange portal at the focus of the lazer, and the blue on a scorched spot on the wall where the plasma would hit. DIE!!

I haven't even tried the challenges yet, except one. I tried the least portals on one of them, got 9 and was happy for getting the goal, then saw the cake goal was 5 and stared...

Haha, wait until you try 18 advanced. Not only are the ceilings metal, so you can't put portals on them, the ball launcher is gone, so you can't hit the turrets with them.

Getting 5 portals on Challenge 13 isn't too difficult, as long as you really think about how to shortcut, but the challenge after that is 4, and the solution there is almost cheating.

Geekthras

Postby Geekthras » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:58 am UTC

I managed 7 just now, but I can't imagine less than that without cheating...
Maybe you could fling the crate on the platform? But that doesn't really help.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:45 am UTC

Geekthras wrote:I managed 7 just now, but I can't imagine less than that without cheating...
Maybe you could fling the crate on the platform? But that doesn't really help.

Spoiler:
You use two in the first room to get the box, then place one on the wall by the tallest platform. Now jump through your portal to that button, throw the box onto the shorter button (would be in your best interest to save here). Then place another portal inside the room, and jump through the portal you placed by the button.

Ayelis

Postby Ayelis » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:44 am UTC

Geekthras wrote:I managed 7 just now, but I can't imagine less than that without cheating...

What constitutes "Cheating"? Is this the only stage you can cheat on? And... Come on, you NEED to cheat in this room!

Hmm, lemme think...
Blue portal[1] on the wall by the button... Orange[2] on the upper level to get the box... Go back through the portal to put the box on the button, go back up through the portal to get a good shot to put the Orange portal[3] near the upper button platform. Jump down and grab the box, go through the blue portal and put the box on the button here. Shoot a blue portal[4] above the conveyor. Technically, you can jump with the box, from the conveyor to the exit platform, and from the platform to the lower button platform. Put the box on the button, and jump back. You win, with both boxes on the buttons, and without shooting a portal into the exit room.

xenuphobia wrote:I wish the ending was more flexible that way. What happens if you assume the Party Submission Position? What happens if you don't drop the morality core into the fire? There really is cake at the end...

The strange part is; since it's on Steam... You never know... Beating the game could be different, tomorrow...
--
Don't tase me bro!

Ayelis

Postby Ayelis » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:25 am UTC

--
Don't tase me bro!

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:28 am UTC

Ayelis wrote:

What constitutes "Cheating"? Is this the only stage you can cheat on? And... Come on, you NEED to cheat in this room!

Hmm, lemme think...
Blue portal[1] on the wall by the button... Orange[2] on the upper level to get the box... Go back through the portal to put the box on the button, go back up through the portal to get a good shot to put the Orange portal[3] near the upper button platform. Jump down and grab the box, go through the blue portal and put the box on the button here. Shoot a blue portal[4] above the conveyor. Technically, you can jump with the box, from the conveyor to the exit platform, and from the platform to the lower button platform. Put the box on the button, and jump back. You win, with both boxes on the buttons, and without shooting a portal into the exit room.

xenuphobia wrote:I wish the ending was more flexible that way. What happens if you assume the Party Submission Position? What happens if you don't drop the morality core into the fire? There really is cake at the end...

The strange part is; since it's on Steam... You never know... Beating the game could be different, tomorrow...

This is the way I saw it on YouTube, and the guy managed it with three portals (I kind of consider this cheating).

When you start, you walk into the room with the button and the box. You stand on the button, run and jump towards the box, and if you do it just right (hard to do) you can grab the box without putting a portal on the second level. Put the box on the button, move back in the room, and plant a portal on the wall towards platform I. Then, shoot the other portal at the wall, pick up the box and land on the platform. From there, you throw the box onto the second platform, stand on the button, shoot a portal into the room and use the previous portal on the wall to get into the elevator.

There's an even cheatier way to do it that involves bouncing the energy pellet off the box and into the ball catcher, activating the conveyor. Then you stand on the part of the conveyor that doesn't actually convey, but is part of the frame that projects the light, wait for the platform to come with the box, grab it, put it on the lower button and go through. Two portals.

Ayelis

Postby Ayelis » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:43 am UTC

xenuphobia wrote:This is the way I saw it on YouTube, and the guy managed it with three portals (I kind of consider this cheating).

When you start, you walk into the room with the button and the box. You stand on the button, run and jump towards the box, and if you do it just right (hard to do) you can grab the box without putting a portal on the second level. Put the box on the button, move back in the room, and plant a portal on the wall towards platform I. Then, shoot the other portal at the wall, pick up the box and land on the platform. From there, you throw the box onto the second platform, stand on the button, shoot a portal into the room and use the previous portal on the wall to get into the elevator.

There's an even cheatier way to do it that involves bouncing the energy pellet off the box and into the ball catcher, activating the conveyor. Then you stand on the part of the conveyor that doesn't actually convey, but is part of the frame that projects the light, wait for the platform to come with the box, grab it, put it on the lower button and go through. Two portals.

Ohh, crud, I didn't even think about the energy ball! That brings my solution up to... six portals? I'd have had to use the box-bounce-ball method as you described to keep it down to four... Of course, shooting a portal into the final room (cheating, imo!) makes it easier, and you don't need the energy ball if you're standing on the button. Of course, standing on the lower button, you're likely to get hit by the ball...
--
Don't tase me bro!

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:48 am UTC

Ayelis wrote:
xenuphobia wrote:This is the way I saw it on YouTube, and the guy managed it with three portals (I kind of consider this cheating).

Ohh, crud, I didn't even think about the energy ball! That brings my solution up to... six portals? I'd have had to use the box-bounce-ball method as you described to keep it down to four... Of course, shooting a portal into the final room (cheating, imo!) makes it easier, and you don't need the energy ball if you're standing on the button. Of course, standing on the lower button, you're likely to get hit by the ball...

Actually, I did it that way. You just have to time it right, be fast enough to throw the portal and jump down. Of course, it uses an extra portal, because you can't get back up after you fall. That's why the best solution is to throw the box from the upper button platform onto the lower one, hitting the button (tricky to do). Then, you just shoot a portal into the room while standing on the upper button and use the previous portal (which should be on the wall still) to get there.

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:38 am UTC

Cheating?

-sv_cheats 1 -noclip is cheating. Putting portals on concrete surfaces and throwing things about and running grabbing and jumping and twisting and portal shooting and being damn clever about it is not cheating, no matter what you do.

The whole joy of those advanced levels is figuring out new and better ways to do them; a gold medal portal placement goal just means the developers couldn't do better before release, it doesn't prove there is no better solution.

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:24 pm UTC

DrStalker wrote:Cheating?

-sv_cheats 1 -noclip is cheating. Putting portals on concrete surfaces and throwing things about and running grabbing and jumping and twisting and portal shooting and being damn clever about it is not cheating, no matter what you do.

The whole joy of those advanced levels is figuring out new and better ways to do them; a gold medal portal placement goal just means the developers couldn't do better before release, it doesn't prove there is no better solution.

I don't mind that stuff. That's all good. But come on, jumping off the button to grab the box comes near an exploit. And there's one least portals solution to the companion cube level that really is glitching the game, where you grab the cube and jump on top of it while you're holding it to get higher and higher and bypass the puzzles completely.

I mean, it doesn't really bother me, and I applaud whoever came up with it. It's "cheating" by how I define it... mostly because I didn't think of it myself, more silly than anything. :P

Geekthras

Postby Geekthras » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:05 am UTC

! I found something new on aperturescience

While logged on as cjohnson (password tier3) type play portal

It'll bring you to a youtube that's been removed... Odd...

Can anyone find out what it used to be?
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Geekthras

Postby Geekthras » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:22 am UTC

STDP....

I decrypted the flash and got the url of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h50K2NVJHM
Opening with wayback machine yields nothing so far.

OKAY According to wayback, is equivalent to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcEqM8z1wgA
but was taken down.

Note Portal quotes in comments... I wonder if they know that this video was mentioned in Aperture science.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Ayelis

Postby Ayelis » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:00 am UTC

Then how do you explain it? When you beat the level a certain way, the stats board says "Cheated!" in big red letters. I don't remember typing in a code. I do remember using questionable button ethics.
--
Don't tase me bro!

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:17 am UTC

Ayelis wrote:

Then how do you explain it? When you beat the level a certain way, the stats board says "Cheated!" in big red letters. I don't remember typing in a code. I do remember using questionable button ethics.

If you're accidentally in commentary mode for some glitchy reason, it sets sv_cheats to 1 because it has to noclip in one place to show you something. Start a new non-commentary game, quit out of it, and try the challenge again.

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:40 am UTC

GLaDOS started out as a Fuel System Icing Inhibitor.

Evidence:
Spoiler:

Ayelis

Postby Ayelis » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

xenuphobia wrote:If you're accidentally in commentary mode for some glitchy reason, it sets sv_cheats to 1 because it has to noclip in one place to show you something. Start a new non-commentary game, quit out of it, and try the challenge again.

Ahh... But I totally didn't exploit it! I never clicked on the icon! They should check those things. Ah well, now I know, and therefore, now I can beat it without Valve cheating for me. ;)

DrStalker; That's just awesome! I saw all the slides, but some of the letters were blurred out. Nice graphics rip!
-S
--
Don't tase me bro!

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:27 pm UTC

ive been wondering whether portal is chells first time through apeture science or not. glados mentions she has you on permanent file a couple of times (and eventually deletes this) and implies she can resurrect you (cloning technology maybe?). what if all the writing left behind is by previous versions of chell who have eventually been killed by glados, only to be resurrected at the start of the test and do it all agian :shock:

also 18 advanced:

Spoiler:
i knocked over all the turrets by portal ing onto the sticky out bit of wall on the far left then using the drop to get momentum to jump from the wall behind the turrets. of course for the challenges there is a much fater way to do that whole room in just a few seconds :wink:
in ur beanz makin u eveel

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:17 pm UTC

DrStalker wrote:GLaDOS started out as a Fuel System Icing Inhibitor.

Evidence:
Spoiler:

I'm trying to figure out how to reconcile that with the facts laid out on Aperture Science's website.

1986 - Word reaches Aperture management that another defense contractor called Black Mesa is working on a similar portal technology. In response to this news, Aperture begins developing the Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System (GLaDOS), an artificially intelligent research assistant and operating system.

source: http://www.aperturescience.com, login cjohnson/tier3, notes

Maybe she was developed originally as a research assistant, and then adapted to the FSII so that Aperture could win the contract?

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

I love how "Arguably Alive" is taken as a good point.
Really, over engineering much for a ice inhibitor?

Do you pronounce it as GLaD OS or GLa-DOS. I prefer GLaD-OS.
Do you use the new Mac OS? No I run GLaD OS. Try it, you'll be GlaD you did!
This space intentionally left blank.

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:51 pm UTC

Looking at those slides again, the round bullets look like buttons and the square bullets look like boxes.

<3 valve

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:55 pm UTC

I hated the advanced sentry gun level. Stupid boxes.

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:23 am UTC

It might not be a plot spoiler, but this is pretty funny:

Someone found this hidden in the Portal textures. As far as I know it is not seen in-game at all.

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:09 am UTC

DrStalker wrote:It might not be a plot spoiler, but this is pretty funny:

Someone found this hidden in the Portal textures. As far as I know it is not seen in-game at all.

I think that was me. ;)
I started a thread on the Steam forums and posted a bunch of interesting textures, including that one.

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:08 am UTC

I'm going to have to go through all the textures now I know how to make them work with VTFExplorer (a lot didn't work until I used some cleanup/convert tool thing)

Ayelis

Postby Ayelis » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:37 pm UTC

chaosspawn wrote:I love how "Arguably Alive" is taken as a good point.
Really, over engineering much for a ice inhibitor?

I love how nobody's doubting that she can inhibit ice in Fuel Systems... I mean, sure, she's got Rocket Launchers at her beck and call, but I don't think there will be much fuel system left once the ice is gone...

chaosspawn wrote:Do you pronounce it as GLaD OS or GLa-DOS. I prefer GLaD-OS.
Do you use the new Mac OS? No I run GLaD OS. Try it, you'll be GlaD you did!

I pronounce it Gladys. ;)
--
Don't tase me bro!

jercos

Postby jercos » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:54 am UTC

note on the companion cube: the incinerator goal is triggered by *any* cube, not just the companion cube, so cheating a storage cube into the incinerator will do it, but then the field in front of the elevator kills it :( also cheating, you can swap out portal pairs (up to five at one time I think) but it lags like heck, and doesn't really help *that* much... weird fact: hl2 weapons are built into portal, so crossbow and crowbar are only a cheat away... (the 357's great for knocking over those turret things...)

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:28 am UTC

jercos wrote:weird fact: hl2 weapons are built into portal, so crossbow and crowbar are only a cheat away...

Even more interesting: If you place a weapon (other than the portal gun) in a portal map it just disappears when you move over it, and you don't get it... but this may only apply if you already have a portal gun.

When I accidentally placed a gravity gun instead of a portal gun I got the gravity gun and was able to use it fine.

Now, the really cool thing: anything done in a HL2 map can be done in a Portal map, including lights that turn on/off, water, vehicles, and probably NPCs. How well they will work is another story... some thing probably wont work at all. Still, there is a huge scope for custom maps in there.

Return to “Gaming”