1210: "I'm so random"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Klear

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby Klear » Sun May 12, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

What is this I don't even

J L

Postby J L » Sun May 12, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:My favorite example: A coworker once quipped back at me (in response to what, I don't recall) "Tell me something I don't know" (you know, the kind of sarcastic response to being told something obvious), and spotting the opportunity for a joke I replied "Ungulates are the only clade of mammals which can metabolize cellulose", which predictably elicited a "What?" response allowing for the punchline "There's something you probably didn't know." It's just a bit of trivia, but it's completely random* trivia in a place where no response at all was expected, which makes it funny. (It also helps that "ungulate" is an inherently funny word).

*(Actually it's not random at all, as ungulate digestion is my favorite "random" topic, and I will go to it whenever I need to pick something "random"-seeming to talk about, since the odds of it ever actually being anything close to on-topic in any context I find myself in are negligible).

That's a nice example. Just in case someone some day is quick enough to pick up on that topic, you might be interested to know that (at least according to the German language Wikipedia) Silverfishes are about the only animals able to metabolize cellulose without the aid of any symbionts :) (I learnt that doing online research on whether it was worth to seriously fight their occasional presence in our home. Short answer, it isn't, as long as you don't mind them eating your wallpaper).

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sun May 12, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

arthurd006_5 wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:"Ungulates are the only clade of mammals which can metabolize cellulose"

I can't find the study anymore, which involved feeding cardboard to MIT students. I half-remember that about half of them could digest it.

Digest as in it passed through without problem, or digest as in they extracted metabolic energy from it? Humans can digest cellulose in the former sense just fine -- that's all dietary fiber is -- but unless you know something I don't, we don't get any metabolic energy from it.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Mon May 13, 2013 1:47 am UTC

J L wrote: you might be interested to know that (at least according to the German language Wikipedia) Silverfishes are about the only animals able to metabolize cellulose without the aid of any symbionts :)

Wow. I thought only micro-organisms could digest cellulose.
From Cellulose Digestion By The Silverfish Ctenolepisma Lineata
1. The silverfish, Ctenolepisma lineata, on a diet of cellulose alone shows a respiratory quotient of close to unity, indicating utilization of carbohydrate, presumably derived from cellulose.

2. The silverfish may gain weight temporarily on a diet of cellulose alone although the diet is not satisfactory for prolonged feeding.
7. Bacteria-free silverfish fed cellulose uniformly marked with 14C respire 14CO2, indicating that even in the absence of micro-organisms, C. lineata metabolizes cellulose and therefore must have digested it.

addams

Postby addams » Mon May 13, 2013 4:06 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:
J L wrote: you might be interested to know that (at least according to the German language Wikipedia) Silverfishes are about the only animals able to metabolize cellulose without the aid of any symbionts :)

Wow. I thought only micro-organisms could digest cellulose.
From Cellulose Digestion By The Silverfish Ctenolepisma Lineata
1. The silverfish, Ctenolepisma lineata, on a diet of cellulose alone shows a respiratory quotient of close to unity, indicating utilization of carbohydrate, presumably derived from cellulose.

2. The silverfish may gain weight temporarily on a diet of cellulose alone although the diet is not satisfactory for prolonged feeding.
7. Bacteria-free silverfish fed cellulose uniformly marked with 14C respire 14CO2, indicating that even in the absence of micro-organisms, C. lineata metabolizes cellulose and therefore must have digested it.

The Old Truths remain the same.
The cockroaches and silverfish are well designed for survival.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ungulate
Ungulate is still a funny word.
The Humans and the Ungulates both unlikely.

Yet; Here we are.
Them running around on their toes.
Us? What do Humans do?

Spoiler:
Build shit? Ants and bees do that.

What do Humans do?
Make more Humans?

Yes. Humans do that.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:37 am UTC

jc wrote:[Arguments about the word 'random'] sound[s] like yet another case where the "science types" are unfamiliar with their own subjects' history. This is especially true in mathematics, where there's a history of taking insults and turning them into technical jargon.

One of the best-known examples is "irrational number". This was adopted by the math guys who first started publishing serious papers about numbers that couldn't be represented as ratios of integers. They got a lot of criticism from mathematical "experts" who ridiculed their ideas, because "everyone knew" that all numbers could be reduced to such ratios. They criticised the authors of the new ideas as being illogical, irational, etc., and those folks responded by saying "Hey, maybe our critics are right. We should just call our non-ratio numbers "irrational" like they're suggesting. They did this, and the name quickly became a standard part of mathematical terminology.

This is part of a *much* more general pattern. The critics of anything almost always have the clearest view of it, because distance lends focus, and they aren't cluttered up with the fine detail.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon May 13, 2013 11:17 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
arthurd006_5 wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:"Ungulates are the only clade of mammals which can metabolize cellulose"

I can't find the study anymore, which involved feeding cardboard to MIT students. I half-remember that about half of them could digest it.

Digest as in it passed through without problem, or digest as in they extracted metabolic energy from it? Humans can digest cellulose in the former sense just fine -- that's all dietary fiber is -- but unless you know something I don't, we don't get any metabolic energy from it.

Yeah, ordinary mortals cannot digest cellulose, but these are MIT students!
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Mon May 13, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

Klear wrote:My house is full of traps.

There's a horse in aisle five.

(Sidenote: it seems like horses come up a lot in xkcd. Randall must like horses.)

Lenoxus

Postby Lenoxus » Mon May 13, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

I'm glad to see no one else has said it: Get out of my head, random!

hungryjoe wrote:This has always bugged me as a gripe that people have, since one of the OED definitions of the word random is;
Having no definite aim or purpose; not sent or guided in a particular direction; made, done, occurring, etc., without method or conscious choice; haphazard.

which seems to fit monkey tacos fairly well.

Agreed. Now, maybe the phenomenon whereby certain words, phrases, numbers, ideas are more frequently chosen by human-randomness (especially the ones that are considered "inherently funny") means that the so-called random outbursts are less "random" in this sense. But a lot of that is subjective and depends on one's prior experiences. To a ten-year-old, "monkey tacos" qualifies as humorously random, just like they might also think that The Phantom Menace was an "excellent" film. Should I accuse them of misusing either the word "random" or "excellent"?

Even though I was disappointed that Randall didn't take the meta-contrarian position as he has before (like with the Idiocracy comic and similar), I did like where this one went. I would have actually laughed if, instead of numbers, the last word balloon contained randomly-generated pixels, producing a surreal effect whereby Hat-guy knocked the kid over by shouting in colorful static.

WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Eutychus wrote:Alt-text: "In retrospect, it's weird that as a kid I thought completely random outbursts made me seem interesting, given that from an information theory point of view, lexical white noise is just about the opposite of interesting by definition."

Because young children are generally passionate experts on information theory. *wanking gesture*

The alt-text's syntax isn't totally clear, but Randall isn't say that he, as a kid, was doing information-theory stuff. All he's saying is that like most kids, he thought that "complete" randomness was interesting, and as an adult he can analyze this notion using information theory.

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Mon May 13, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

Lenoxus wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Eutychus wrote:Alt-text: "In retrospect, it's weird that as a kid I thought completely random outbursts made me seem interesting, given that from an information theory point of view, lexical white noise is just about the opposite of interesting by definition."

Because young children are generally passionate experts on information theory. *wanking gesture*

The alt-text's syntax isn't totally clear, but Randall isn't say that he, as a kid, was doing information-theory stuff. All he's saying is that like most kids, he thought that "complete" randomness was interesting, and as an adult he can analyze this notion using information theory.

Of course he wasn't working with information theory. He was a kid.

The word that got me is "weird." It's not weird when kids think things that are inconsistent with adult scientific understanding. It isn't weird that kid Randall thought completely random outbursts made him seem interesting, since kids don't understand information theory. It would qualify as interesting, amusing, funny, or possibly ironic (although use of that word is guaranteed to start an argument). It is not, however, weird. It could hardly be any less weird.

Lenoxus

Postby Lenoxus » Mon May 13, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

WriteBrainedJR wrote:Of course he wasn't working with information theory. He was a kid.

The word that got me is "weird." It's not weird when kids think things that are inconsistent with adult scientific understanding. It isn't weird that kid Randall thought completely random outbursts made him seem interesting, since kids don't understand information theory. It would qualify as interesting, amusing, funny, or possibly ironic (although use of that word is guaranteed to start an argument). It is not, however, weird. It could hardly be any less weird.

Ah, I get your point and retract mine. And now that you mention it, the hovertext does look like one of the very few instances of English where "weird" should be replaced with "ironic" instead of vice versa. I'm guessing that Randall (subconsiously?) avoided "ironic" for exactly the reason you mention.

From a certain perspective, overcorrection in general is ironic (eg, someone says "She spoke to Paul and I" with the specific goal of avoiding the wrath of sticklers; they think "and me" is always wrong like someone might figure "ironic" is always wrong, although in the case of "ironic" it's almost never mandatory). Hmm.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Tue May 14, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

TortoiseWrath wrote:If I'm the only one (besides Randall) who noticed that the digits are the beginning of the 1955 book A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates, I feel like a nerd. I WIN :D
Edit: I'm not. Damn you, SeySayux...

It does remind me of a math conference eons ago, in which the hosts had mounted pi to fifty digits around the ceiling of the main room. One of the mathematicians entered, looked around, and asked whether they had gotten the digits from a certain book. The replied that they had, and asked how he knew. He pointed up and said, "You have the same error in the 37th digit. . . ."
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

AlexTheSeal

Postby AlexTheSeal » Tue May 14, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

J L wrote:Silverfishes are about the only animals able to metabolize cellulose without the aid of any symbionts :) (I learnt that doing online research on whether it was worth to seriously fight their occasional presence in our home. Short answer, it isn't, as long as you don't mind them eating your wallpaper).

I don't mind them eating my wallpaper nearly so much as my books.

Code: Select all

10 REM WORLD'S SMALLEST ADVENTURE GAME
20 PRINT "YOU ARE IN A CAVE (N, S, E, W)? ";
30 INPUT A$
40 GOTO 10

Lulled to sleep by the one-hertz chuckle of Linux logfile writes since 1997.

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Tue May 14, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

AlexTheSeal wrote:
J L wrote:Silverfishes are about the only animals able to metabolize cellulose without the aid of any symbionts :) (I learnt that doing online research on whether it was worth to seriously fight their occasional presence in our home. Short answer, it isn't, as long as you don't mind them eating your wallpaper).

I'm glad they don't live where I live, because I am not okay with anything eating my books. (Probably not surprising given my choice of username)

Stiletto

Postby Stiletto » Thu May 16, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

Decided to do a quick-and-dirty reformat for the book of Faces cover photo album, since I liked it (others might too.)
Apologies for butchering your work, Randall!

im_so_random5.png

cphite

Postby cphite » Thu May 16, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

SeySayux wrote:Those digits aren't random. In fact, they're copied directly from this book.

I have to say, the plot is fine but the character development is a little lacking...

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri May 17, 2013 6:14 am UTC

WriteBrainedJR wrote:

Sell me the fish of your brother Raoul.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Petaurus

Postby Petaurus » Fri May 17, 2013 8:59 am UTC

Sandor wrote:
AlexTheSeal wrote:
I'm pretty disturbed by the "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" section, though. White face paint... The Best of David Hasselhoff... and a fresh whole rabbit.

I'm not seeing The Best of David Hasselhoff, but I do see The 2009-2014 Outlook for Wood Toilet Seats in Greater China

Well, I kinda like the "The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification"

Edit: ninja'ed...

When I click one to the left of "The 2009-2014 Outlook for Wood Toilet Seats in Greater China" I get "Microwave cooking for one".
These are all definitely trolls by Amazon right? i.e. If you are geek enough to by "A Million Random Digits" you probably can't cook with anything but a microwave and you'll definitely be cooking alone.

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Fri May 17, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

Petaurus wrote:
Sandor wrote:
AlexTheSeal wrote:
I'm pretty disturbed by the "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" section, though. White face paint... The Best of David Hasselhoff... and a fresh whole rabbit.

I'm not seeing The Best of David Hasselhoff, but I do see The 2009-2014 Outlook for Wood Toilet Seats in Greater China

Well, I kinda like the "The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification"

Edit: ninja'ed...

When I click one to the left of "The 2009-2014 Outlook for Wood Toilet Seats in Greater China" I get "Microwave cooking for one".
These are all definitely trolls by Amazon right? i.e. If you are geek enough to by "A Million Random Digits" you probably can't cook with anything but a microwave and you'll definitely be cooking alone.

Either it's an attempt at trolling, or it's an attempt at profiling, or it's such a niche item that the sample size is tiny, and you're just seeing the individual tastes of the few people who looked at the book.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat May 18, 2013 9:19 am UTC

It's twerked somehow. It's a book of random digits, and all the suggestions are "especially random" things. That doesn't happen by chance. = )

Also, both the steering wheel laptop desk and Three Wolf Moon? Yeah, no, not likely.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Sat May 18, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:

Soon woodpeckers will encase the sea in plastic sails.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Klear

Postby Klear » Sat May 18, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:

My house is full of traps.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sun May 19, 2013 4:04 am UTC

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sun May 19, 2013 4:26 am UTC

One article too many is still a thoughtful chair in the rhombus.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 am UTC

AlexTheSeal wrote:

At a garage sale I once found a pile of 50-60 y/old books with the edges of the pages eaten by something. I had to buy them and clean them up. I can't read half of them because they are in what I think is Swedish but I couldn't let then get destroyed further. Now I know it was the silverfish. The silverfish and cellulose fact is a lucky 10k thing I think? Also I loved that I clicked on the link and got a German wiki page. Haven't read that in a while.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Sun May 19, 2013 9:05 am UTC

SilverEyes wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:... <snip> ... and idiocracy.

Also, FUS RO DAH!

Or possibly a Word of Chaos from 3.5 D&D

I'm thinking there needs to be a new superhero (or even supervillain) who can defeat his enemies by reciting random numbers and putting them to sleep with a wave of white noise.

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Mon May 20, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon May 20, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Mon May 20, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon May 20, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:

bmonk

Postby bmonk » Mon May 20, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:

Please hand me that piano.

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Tue May 21, 2013 1:44 am UTC

bmonk wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:

addams

Postby addams » Tue May 21, 2013 2:41 am UTC

WriteBrainedJR wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:

Hand him the Piano.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Tue May 21, 2013 3:22 am UTC

addams wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:

Hand him the Piano.
The River is small
Spoiler:
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER :P

bmonk

Postby bmonk » Tue May 21, 2013 4:27 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:
addams wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:

Hand him the Piano.
The River is small

The Sea is Large.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue May 21, 2013 4:54 am UTC

bmonk wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:
addams wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:

Hand him the Piano.

The River is small

The Sea is Large.

Seriously, just hand him the damn piano already.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

J L

Postby J L » Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 am UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
AlexTheSeal wrote:

At a garage sale I once found a pile of 50-60 y/old books with the edges of the pages eaten by something. I had to buy them and clean them up. I can't read half of them because they are in what I think is Swedish but I couldn't let then get destroyed further. Now I know it was the silverfish. The silverfish and cellulose fact is a lucky 10k thing I think? Also I loved that I clicked on the link and got a German wiki page. Haven't read that in a while.

It doesn't happen very often the German Wikipedia claims to know something the English one doesn't, but it happens ... On the other hand, there seem to be other possible explanations for damaged books: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookworm_(insect) Most of which seem mostly interested in molds, however, so good maintenance should help to make them lose their interest.

Luckily, I never had that problem. If they began chewing on my nearly 100-year-old Cabell collection, I'd rather call the army than surrender.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue May 21, 2013 9:46 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:
addams wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:

Hand him the Piano.

The River is small

The Sea is Large.

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Tue May 21, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:
addams wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:

Hand him the Piano.

The River is small

The Sea is Large.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue May 21, 2013 2:52 pm UTC

WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:
addams wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Klear wrote:
bmonk wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:

Hand him the Piano.

The River is small

The Sea is Large.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”