You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

rmsgrey

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:43 am UTC

My problem with Dwarf Fortress is the interface - it makes me feel a bit like I'm this guy: http://xkcd.com/505/

If Dwarf Fortress gets a more user-friendly interface, I'll happily return, but until then, I'll stick to something that doesn't require several hours on the Wiki to figure out how to arm a dwarf...

Losing is fun, but playing "guess the menu option" isn't...

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:59 am UTC

It's not terrible once you figure it out, but it's definitely cumbersome until you do (if you ever do).

You may be waiting a long time too.

If you want to give it a fair shot, I would recommend you watch Captain Duck's tutorials. They were immensely helpful for me early on, and now it's not even an issue to do certain things. And those that are, I either a) don't need to do or b) can find answers on the bay12 forums.

https://www.youtube.com/user/captnduck

Specifically Snarlingurn and Glaciersacks.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:33 am UTC

The trick is to set up your death traps early on. I prefer a retracting 10x1 drawbridge above a deep pit, hooked up to a pressure plate on the front. Connect it with stairs back to the surface. Gobbos keep following the leader onto the bridge only to fall 20 z levels and break their bones. Later on, you can get more elaborate with a magma pit that leaves globs of metals for you to use.

Also, if you break into a cavern and the soil layers start producing cave moss, you can pen your animals underground so there is less on the surface. You can wall off a relatively small part of the surface with the only entrance being the drawbridge of death, though you will need to make is 10x3 if you want trade wagons.

If you channel down and then seal off, the channeled soil is forever 'outside' so you can grow surface crops safely underground.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:35 am UTC

It also helps that there's really only a few menus you use.

z for stats, d for designating areas for digging, claiming items and whatnot, and b for building things, and q for manipulating buildings.

Everything else - the nobles screen, military... it's all stuff you need, but stuff that isn't necessarily something you use all the time.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

Also, consider building an above ground statue garden in a sealed room, accessible only from within your fortress. Your dwarves won't get cave adaption, and there will be less dwarves clogging up your legendary dining hall. Also, legendary public dining halls; it's easy enough to make one with 20 tables and chairs, so your dwarves will always be a bit happier.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

My happiest fort ever was one filled with gold statues. They were all quite ecstatic.

I also have very very little above ground. I've taken to putting some above ground farms in an interior wall (for a non mountainside embark) but other than that, I try to just leave a wood stockpile and a refuse stockpile up top and move everything under ground. I turn off hunting and fishing and even the wood stock pile I eventually move inside.

Traps are pretty crazy at how powerful they are, especially cage traps, so I do work on ways to limit that as it can take the fun out of things. But I do need some because dropping stuff into shooting galleries or 20 z-level death pits is rather satisfying.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

..yeah, wait until a Necromancer hit squad attacks you. Those traps are suddenly not overpowered. Particularly weapon traps, that almost do as much harm as they do good.

Yay! It completely eviscerated that zombie and hacked it into a dozen pieces!

...shit, the Necromancer just animated ALL of them.

But you probably want to put a roof over the outdoor farms. Nothing quite like trying to harvest when there's a buzzard flying around three Z levels up, terrifying everyone.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:..yeah, wait until a Necromancer hit squad attacks you. Those traps are suddenly not overpowered. Particularly weapon traps, that almost do as much harm as they do good.

Well, that's what lava traps are for. Well, those or atom-smashers.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

Dispose of goblin thieves by stripping them naked (designate everything in their cage to be dumped) and then releasing them into a training room where your dwarves have only wooden training weapons. Good way to get legendary axe dwarves.

I really need to get around to magma, but it's such a pain to build several 50-story pumpstacks. I usually just build my smelters at level 100 or so, so my pump stack is shorter. I use dwarf power to fill it with pumps.

Also, I tend to build dwarves fitness centers. Pumps are great for cardio, to get your dwarves in shape. Pumping raises toughness and strength, great for any dwarf. My soldiers tend to all get red shirts as a result, so another plus. Though I think it raises just one of the stats rather than all, but I'd rather have dwarves working out rather than idling in the dining hall, if only for the satisfied at work thoughts. If the dwarven economy gets put back in, it also ensures your haulers don't go broke.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:..yeah, wait until a Necromancer hit squad attacks you. Those traps are suddenly not overpowered. Particularly weapon traps, that almost do as much harm as they do good.

But you probably want to put a roof over the outdoor farms. Nothing quite like trying to harvest when there's a buzzard flying around three Z levels up, terrifying everyone.

Yeah, I treated my necro tower embark much more seriously.

I had a really nice airlocked shooting gallery for my refuse pile. It never got animated, but if it would have, it would have been brilliant for training my marksmen. In fact, I just got a neat idea. Cage trap a necromancer. Put him in a room sealed off from the refuse pile, but so that he can still see it. Throw lots of corpses in there via pitting system. Set marksmen up top. ??? Profit!

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

That's what I love about DF. That horrible death dealing disaster? Figure out how to turn it into your new toy! Build an airlock from the surface to the HFS, be sure your fort is properly sealed. Oh look, 500 goblins invade? UNLEASH THE BALROG!!! Dug too deep my ass!

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

the problem, I believe, is in getting the BARLOG back into the airlock.

(feel free to replace BARLOG with & for this to become slightly more relevant to the discussion at hand)
Last edited by eculc on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

That's where ingenuity comes in! Or let him murder trade caravans and such. I once had a 60 man zombie siege obliterated by 4 goblin ambushes. It was great. Then I sent my hammer squad out to clean up what was left of the goblins.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

Tie up a bait animal (or goblin thief) in the airlock, and let the BALROG charge down back to his comfy little nest. Maybe in an auxiliary airlock that closes too so you don't have to reset the bait. Or just throw other captured gobbos in there so mr BALROG can have a friend.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:07 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Tie up a bait animal (or Dwarven Noble) in the airlock, and let the BALROG charge down back to his comfy little nest.

FTFY

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:37 am UTC

...I figure out which of my 7 dwarves I want to be the Baron/Duke/Etc before I'm asked to become a barony. Obviously someone that prefers something like Doors and Gabbro rather than Bismuth Bronze and Mugs.

New User

Postby New User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

Way back in November, it was mentioned that we should do a succession game after the holidays. Is anyone interested in that now? I will participate, but I don't think I should be the one to start it.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:23 am UTC

Yeah I was going to organize one, and I kinda got distracted with the holidays and couldn't put as much time into it to make sure it got up and running properly. No sense in starting one halfway if I'm not going to maintain it properly. If enough people are interested, I'll help launch one. I've actually considered doing one in FaiD too, although I have a sneaking suspicion that it will just be drunken dwarf parties and the fort will die in a ball of glory before it ever gets going. :P

ebbitten

Postby ebbitten » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

I would definitely be interested!

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:11 am UTC

Me too! I've been looking for an excuse to play this again.
she/her

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

Alright, lets at least start talking about how we can do this, or if this will actually happen. I won't make a new thread yet. SecondTalon, any input you can provide would be appreciated as well! :D

First, we need to decide on/discuss/think about 5 things:

A) We need a minimum signup requirement. I'm thinking somewhere between 8 and 10 people who are interested before this gets moved to a new thread. If you're interested, PM me your email (don't post it in this thread for the world to see) and I'll start a roster. If we don't meet at least this, I'll scrap it and we can try again down the road.

B) We need to decide on a timeframe per person. A week is a long time, but on that same note, some people may not have a chance without that length, so I'm OK with it. Anything longer than that is too long. Having said this, I'm open to suggestions, because the 8th person to sign up will have to wait potentially two months to take their turn, unless people post their year long updates more quickly.

C) Everyone needs to be willing to share an email of sorts. If you don't submit an email, this won't work. This is mostly for reminders that it's your turn to play, etc. If you miss your time slot, or go over your time, you will be skipped without hesitation. No exceptions. More on this later.

D) I don't want to get bogged down in policing rules and trying to form a Dwarf Fortress succession game bureaucracy. So lets set up some loose guidelines that are easy to follow and then focus on the hilarity and depth of Dwarf Fortress.

E) What type of embark do we want? Peaceful? Necro tower? Terrifying glacier? Should we have a Volcano? Or should we get the Mishrak special where I just pick one that seems interesting?

Signup
1) Mishrak
2) NieXS
3) Ralith The Third
4) ebbitten
5) New User
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Awaiting Email

A few basics:
- This will be the latest version of Dwarf Fortress, v0.34.11.
- Going to use Captain Duck's DF2012 Embark profile to start off. He brings lots of chickens.
- No mods allowed. / No DF Hack
- Dwarf Therapist is OK / Lazy Newb Pack is OK.
- Leave NOTES (shift+n) in game for things like levers and other points of interest.
- You will have up to one week to play 1 year of time in game. After that, post it and update us.
- Lets stick to a uniform tile set. Either Ironhand or base ASCII. This prevents distortion of the save file when it's transferred. My personal vote is Ironhand.
- When you post your update make sure it flows with the spirit of the game somewhat. Post pictures either via imgur, or flickr or photobucket. Don't just post an itemized list of things you built.
- The order will be determined as a first come first serve basis. As I receive PMs, I'll include you in the list. If your turn has already passed and you want to sign up again, you're welcome to do so and you'll go in the next available slot. Don't submit a request for another turn while you're still on the list.
- Use http://dffd.wimbli.com/submit.php when uploading your fort.

Some basics covered by Boatmurdered that should apply here also.

Spoiler:
Strikethroughs added - Mishrak
http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Update%201-1/

Rules:
One year = one turn, from spring of one year to spring of the next. Once you see the cheery green "Spring has arrived!" text, save it, zip it, and get it to the next player. Upload it to rapidshare.com or something similar, and post the link to your savegame so the next person can get it and begin. Feel free to break your turn up into a bunch of posts, but let's try and keep it moving along.

Once it's your turn, you get a week from the time that the link is posted to take your turn. If you start but can't finish, your successor has the option to pick up where you left off and play out the rest of your turn and their. If you don't start, then the old savegame just goes to the next player. If you trash the fort to total -- and I mean TOTAL -- unplayability (e.g. magma flood oh god), we'll revert to an old save, but overcoming setbacks is half the fun, so hopefully we won't have to do this.

Pretty much anything goes except for the following: 1) using huge bridge hallways to kill demons/seiging armies, and 2) things that make later turns totally unplayable such as flooding the world, mining adamantine, or removing bridges in creative ways so that the pathing eats it and the bridges can't be reconstructed and the fortress descends into an orgy of violence and starvation. If you do this, we roll back to an old save and everyone gets dwarven blue balls (which are shorter, but stronger, than the regular variety), so nobody do this please

If you want in on this, please post and include your email address so that I can get hold of you (read: nag you to take your turn) if need be. No email = no play

We'll start with the current version (22f) and use that until further notice. As updates happen, we'll use later versions but please mention the version number when you post your save. Using new saves with old versions makes bad things happen.

Mini-FAQ
How to save game, please?
Hit ESC, then go down to 'save game'. Once you've done that, go to your DF folder, then the 'data' directory, then the 'save' directory. Get region1.sav and the 'region1' folder and put them in a zip file.

How to load old save game, please?
Get the zip file and unzip the contents into your data/save directory. If you have a game going on and don't want to lose it, back up your save directory first since unzipping the new one will wipe out your first world, whatever it is, along with any games running in it.

Oh god how do I do X?
First, check the wiki, then if you still can't figure it out, check out the official DF thread here, and if you still can't, ask away!

I don't want to play a turn but can I be a dwarf in your fortress?
You probably want Remmy's awesome Dwarf Dream Vacation thread!

I'm not very good at this game, can I still play?
Hell yeah!

Anything I missed?
Last edited by Mishrak on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:16 pm UTC, edited 8 times in total.

New User

Postby New User » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

I have already said I'll participate, but it feels like such a long time since I've played this. I'll have to learn things again, at least a little bit. I don't mind if you put my name further down the list, if someone else wants their turn to come sooner.
Mishrak wrote:What type of embark do we want?
I still consider myself a newb, and I haven't played this in several months so something at least slightly newb-friendly please. But I'll probably be okay no matter what you choose.
Mishrak wrote:Leave NOTES (shift+n) in game for things like levers and other points of interest.
I didn't even know that was possible.
Mishrak wrote:Lets stick to a uniform tile set. Either Ironhand or base ASCII. This prevents distortion of the save file when it's transferred. My personal vote is Ironhand.
I prefer not to use base ASCII, so Ironhand would be fine with me. I might need instructions on how to set it up though, it's been so long since I've messed with DF.
Mishrak wrote: Post pictures either via imgur, or flickr or photobucket. Don't just post an itemized list of things you built.
I have no experience with those services. I guess I could start an imgur account if I must. How about just posting pictures here?

Signup
1) Mishrak
2) New User
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

It'll be fairly newb friendly, I think. Probably won't be in a terrifying madness biome of doom.

Also, just be clear, I'll update the roster in my succession game post (and later a thread) - so no need to quote it or update it yourself. Also, I need you to me PM your email address if you want to participate. I'll be sharing mine with everyone involved as well. If I don't have a way to contact you outside of the forum, this will be much harder to keep moving. So as soon as you PM me your email, New User, I'll add you. If you want to be somewhere outside of 2nd, just pick a spot that's open and I'll put you there.

In regards to a picture site, it doesn't matter which one you use. Imgur is free and you don't even need an account. You can also use tinypic or imageshack. I suppose, you could use the attachment feature via the forum if you wanted as well. I'm not sure what the limitations are on that.

I'll let this run for a week, maybe two, to get signups and sort out any details. If there's enough interest in that time period, I'll launch a thread.

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

I prefer playing with raw ASCII but I don't really mind tilesets.
she/her

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

Updated the post.

I forgot to mention this, but if there's anything quirky we want to use, suggest it here also. I could do something funny like an "Overlord mandate" that spans a year (so one per player) where I'll just pick something randomly that is forbidden to be produced or used or must be accomplished that year. An example might be: No new doors can be installed. Must build a 10 z-level high tower in the central courtyard. Stuff like that.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

To keep it in the true spirit of Overlord Mandate, I figure one of two things should happen

Either A - It's someone who is at least three turns away from playing or

B - I set them, as I know I won't be playing (because I know me and I also know I'm incapable of keeping to the schedule required by such a game. No, I'm not kidding. I couldn't do it given a week or two. Like I said, I know me) but am looking forward to reading it.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

Bummer, I was i kinda hoping you'd join us, but if you'll do the Overlord Mandates, that will be hilarious too. And probably more fitting.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

Eh, like I said, I know me. I'd do the first one, no problem. Second time it came around to me, I'd download it and lock myself into a perpetual "I'll do it tomorrow" until it's been a month and a half.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

It's cool. Maybe once things get going you can make a guest appearance and do a year now and then. 8-)

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

I suggest sealing off your entire fort from the surface. Except for one sacrificial dwarf, who will dig down to an addy vein, and release the fun. Watch from safety as the world burns around you! Never deal with pesky immigrants again! Laugh as those elves!

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

I expected more people to be interested than this ;)

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:I expected more people to be interested than this ;)

I just don't want the commitment. Also, I guess using someone else's dwarves would feel like using their underwear. Eh.

Plus I have a peculiar playstyle (settle in the caverns as close to the magma as possible) and a surface fort would feel generic and boring.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

Commitment I can understand ;)

Once it's your turn, you can do whatever you want short of sabotaging it for other players.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

.... you can sabotage it a little. Just not a lot.
Omni.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

I guess every fort is one mistaken designation away from disaster, so "sabotage" could also be another word for "innovation" in Dwarf Fortress as often times some of the most fun is had when you're able to turn a mistake into something productive.

The point about sabotage here though is not to flood the fort out right before your game ends. :)

I'll give it through the weekend to see if we get any more interest. If I don't see any signs of life by monday, I'll call it till a later time.

ebbitten

Postby ebbitten » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

I'd love to play as well, don't have a ton of experience so an easy embark would be great. Not a lot of other preferences.
Signup
1) Mishrak
2) New User
3)ebbitten
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

Sweet! Now, if you want to play, read the original post please. It's linked in my sig. I need you to pm me your email and I'll update the list. Don't copy/paste yourself into the list :)

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

If you are absolutely starved for one last player I could play, but the update(s?) could possibly not be very detailed.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

I don't want anyone to play that doesn't want to. It's supposed to be about fun times. :) We're up to 4 players, if I get emails from the other two, and I have an RL friend waiting in the wings to see if it starts up, so really we have 5. That may be enough to go forward, if everyone actually plays. I'd like to get some more involved, but I don't want people to sign up if they don't really want to.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

Chicken and egg problem, maybe. People are more likely to want to join in something that looks fun, so you may see signup increases once it's rolling.

Also holy shit I've been playing this game for five years.

Return to “Gaming”