1169: "Expedition"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:35 am UTC

Title Text: I'm pretty sure I've logged more hours in Google Maps over the past decade than in any game. Address: https://maps.google.com/?ll=73.103006,1 ... 1&t=h&z=10

Something to do on my next "staycation."

nowhereman

Postby nowhereman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:36 am UTC

Title text: I'm pretty sure I've logged more hours in Google Maps over the past decade than in any game.

I once spent an hour looking at the blue marble pics of the arctic circle imagining myself trekking along an ice shelf. Sadly I forgot where to get those pics.
"God does not play dice with... Yahtzee!" - Little known quote from Einstein

nowhereman

Re: 1169: "Expedition"

Postby nowhereman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:42 am UTC

Since you beat me by a minute on the post, I suppose I should post my bit here instead before they delete my thread.

I once spent an hour looking at the blue marble pics of the arctic circle imagining myself trekking along an ice shelf. Sadly I forgot where to get those pics.

Additionally, the Earth is ridiculously beautiful. Like seriously. Every other planet is pretty dull. Clouds and gases, rocky chunks of nothing. Earth though has complexity. It is not easy to make beauty from simple rocks, but from oceans, forests, ice and continents... that is where beauty is found. Perhaps someone more gifted with the written word would like to write a sonnet?
"God does not play dice with... Yahtzee!" - Little known quote from Einstein

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:43 am UTC

I did this on the Nile once. And a few times in Paris and the Egyptian Desert.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:45 am UTC

See? He's smart.
He gets lost in Google Maps.
When he's tired of being lost, he moves to a different program.

Lost in Real Life is stupid and dangerous.
I should know.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:57 am UTC

This comic is essentially equivalent to the Tumblr game mapcrunch, which I can't post a link to because it flags it as spam (as this is my first post), but simply go to mapcrunch dot com
Select all locations and get lost.
(The goal of the Tumblr game is to disable the location and find the nearest airport)

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:19 am UTC

Your search for pizza near Lena Delta, Russia did not match any locations.

Condor70

Postby Condor70 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:59 am UTC

Half an hour? In that case our explorer probably missed Tropospheric radio relay station 4/102 "Ural" about 300 miles south of the Lena delta (also found by exploring Google Maps).

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:17 am UTC

Oh lord, I was doing that once before I realized how absurd it was that I was flying around making plane noises in my head in Google Earth when I could see if there was some sort of flight sim, there is, and I didn't check the controls so I promptly slammed my F-16 into K2...
mu

hughperkins

Postby hughperkins » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:18 am UTC

addams wrote:Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

Cool sig :)

Brandesianisme

Postby Brandesianisme » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:36 am UTC

Reminds me a lot of mapcrunch

Nix_Seb

Postby Nix_Seb » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:44 am UTC

I went on a very time consuming trek through North China to find the Wall, although I had heard you can not really see the wall from space/high in the atmosphere I decided to try at a reasonable height.

Wow China is big and I was determined not to give up or zoom out, I did find it in the end and it was not that easy to spot at all. I may go and check again actually and see if there are newer higher resolution pics now.
A man of five words

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 am UTC

My own favorite expedition on Google Earth was a ground-level-plus-a-few-feet orbit passing over both the North and South poles.

I don't remember the longitude I picked, but my starting point was somewhere in the western half of the Indian Ocean.

nathanmacinnes

Postby nathanmacinnes » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:53 am UTC

Condor70 wrote:Half an hour? In that case our explorer probably missed Tropospheric radio relay station 4/102 "Ural" about 300 miles south of the Lena delta (also found by exploring Google Maps).

Depends how far he was zoomed in...

Condor70

Postby Condor70 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:11 am UTC

nathanmacinnes wrote:Depends how far he was zoomed in...

I assume zoom level 14 or lower. Google only has partial images at zoom levels 15 till 18 an no images above that.

At zoom lever 14 my Google Maps view is about 3.1x2.1 miles (1600x1200 monitor), so traveling 300 miles south requires 350 clicks or 150 drags.

Splarka

Postby Splarka » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

I used to do this with Celestia. I'd add the extended galaxies and star catalogs, and then turn off all labels. Trying to navigate with just the arrow keys and the acceleration/deceleration buttons.

I eventually memorized (with labels on at first, of course) of a way to get to Earth from outside the galaxy this way. What I would do, is go outside the Milky Way and do random rotation around it until I was disoriented. Then I line up the LMC and SMC to get the side I wanted to be on. After that it is simply a matter of finding Deneb. Once at Deneb I look for Beetlegeuse. From Beetlegeuse I can eventually make my way to Sirius, and at Sirius I can find Sol.

Of course, Deneb and Beetlegeuse would be little use in actually navigating to Sol. Light speed delay and their short lifetimes would make them too variable.
HTTP/1.1 - 203

TimXCampbell

Postby TimXCampbell » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:19 pm UTC

The most fun I ever had with Google Earth was locating the most remote non-Arctic place on the planet. Somewhere in the South Pacific I found a region that is far, far away from anything. You can zoom out so that the Earth is clearly spherical but still you only see water! And somewhere in that vastness there's an island. It would really, really suck to live there.

If I recall correctly, I started my journey from Easter Island or Pitcairn Island. Both of those are pretty darn remote.
Last edited by TimXCampbell on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:My own favorite expedition on Google Earth was a ground-level-plus-a-few-feet orbit passing over both the North and South poles.

I don't remember the longitude I picked, but my starting point was somewhere in the western half of the Indian Ocean.

Too bad poles are messed up in Google Earth...

Anyway, when I launch GE, I usually go for a trek across Mars.

saengerbeatle

Postby saengerbeatle » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

DAMN YOU RANDALL!!!
in my current situation (work) it's allready hard enough to conzentrate. Nothing good will come out of it, if I follow your dark path now. :wink:

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

My God... the place he linked with the comic gave me a bad feeling in the stomach.

njank

Postby njank » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

brenok wrote:My God... the place he linked with the comic gave me a bad feeling in the stomach.

can someone explain what that area is, and why it looks like it should be a microscope image instead of a satellite image?

And i also thought his comment about not cheating was for everyone who took the time to come up with a Google Maps navigable version of his Click and drag comic.

Edit: ok, why wouldn't it let me post this with the URL of the Click and Drag comic (as a link or plaintext). system flagged it as spam and wouldn't let it be posted.

Patteroast

Postby Patteroast » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

Hah, I've done this quite a bit, and interestingly I also seem to have a fascination with the high arctic. Other than that though, I like to try to follow the borders or coasts of a country all the way around at a close zoom, and see where borders cuts across towns or isolates islands or other pieces of land, or especially when the border does some strange twists and turns of its own. A hunt for exclaves at times. I seem to remember the borders of Switzerland being especially interesting in that respect.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

Nix_Seb wrote:I went on a very time consuming trek through North China to find the Wall, although I had heard you can not really see the wall from space/high in the atmosphere I decided to try at a reasonable height.

Wow China is big and I was determined not to give up or zoom out, I did find it in the end and it was not that easy to spot at all. I may go and check again actually and see if there are newer higher resolution pics now.

The wall is not as wide as your average freeway / motorway / autoroute / Autobahn, so even with a long early morning or early evening shadow it's no more visible than road systems from space.

There are definitely a lot of roads here. There may or not be the Great Wall. Have fun!

Liggliluff

Postby Liggliluff » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

Patteroast wrote:Hah, I've done this quite a bit, and interestingly I also seem to have a fascination with the high arctic. Other than that though, I like to try to follow the borders or coasts of a country all the way around at a close zoom, and see where borders cuts across towns or isolates islands or other pieces of land, or especially when the border does some strange twists and turns of its own. A hunt for exclaves at times. I seem to remember the borders of Switzerland being especially interesting in that respect.

Well, can I suggest Haparanda-Tornio in Sweden-Finland? [Link to Google Maps]
The two cities are very close and cut of by the "small" river.
If Haparanda wasn't on the mainland of Sweden, it could be a part of Tornio. ;)

humppapotamus

Postby humppapotamus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

njank wrote:
brenok wrote:My God... the place he linked with the comic gave me a bad feeling in the stomach.

can someone explain what that area is, and why it looks like it should be a microscope image instead of a satellite image?

And i also thought his comment about not cheating was for everyone who took the time to come up with a Google Maps navigable version of his Click and drag comic.

Edit: ok, why wouldn't it let me post this with the URL of the Click and Drag comic (as a link or plaintext). system flagged it as spam and wouldn't let it be posted.

He dropped us in Siberia. I don't know why it looks like that though.

Hee, I remember one time trying to follow the Trans-Australian Railway. You can see all the old airports and stuff.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

njank wrote:can someone explain what that area is,

Delta of Lena, the 10th biggest river in the world by average discharge volume. With the peak discharge volume close to Amazon's.

The area is a wildlife reserve.

njank wrote:and why it looks like it should be a microscope image instead of a satellite image?

Permafrost. The water is not absorbed by soil after a flooding ends.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

I'm also thinking that it is a part of the traps, which lends it's own weird qualities to the terrain, I cheated somewhat though because I scrolled up to the ocean a little and saw Laptev Sea so I knew I was around Siberia.
mu

ctdonath

Postby ctdonath » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

I've had a blast with this activity sporadically for years. Many hours spent scrolling thru remote deserts, finding remote tiny islands, trolling streets of barely-functioning cities. Would make for a nifty screensaver: random location, random direction, max sensible zoom, troll along at a sensible slow speed.

TimXCampbell

Postby TimXCampbell » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

Okay, I've hidden a sign, facing skyward, that says “Hello, xkcd fans!” in 10-foot-high letters. It is located somewhere on this planet.

Ready to go find it? Good, good.

1 ... 2 ... 3 ... G O !!!

Spoiler:
Hint #1: It is not located within 15 miles of my home.

Hint #2: It's possible I simply dreamed that I made such a sign.

pekkhum

Postby pekkhum » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

Thank you, Randall, for teaching me that there is an awesome river in Asia called the Lena River which begins in the mountains near Lake Baikal and flows north through Yakutsk to an amazingly massive river delta in the Arctic Circle!

It's amazing the things I learn just following up on your jokes! I'll spend the rest of the day just learning about this amazing river!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

Guess it shows what technical field I live in that my first reaction was, "hey, there's a river named after the world's most famous photograph?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenna
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

minn3h

Postby minn3h » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

First civilization I ran into was Kyusyur, looks like around 100 miles south of where the river turns sharply south.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Guess it shows what technical field I live in that my first reaction was, "hey, there's a river named after the world's most famous photograph?"

It shows because you think Lenna is the most famous photograph. Maybe among people from your profession, but the world's most famous photo has to be the one with the dying child and a vulture.

Orangutanlibrarian

Postby Orangutanlibrarian » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

I spent hours looking for points in the ocean, outside national maritime boundaries, less than 500m deep. My record is 6m, private island hear i come!

Rotherian

Postby Rotherian » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Guess it shows what technical field I live in that my first reaction was, "hey, there's a river named after the world's most famous photograph?"

It shows because you think Lenna is the most famous photograph. Maybe among people from your profession, but the world's most famous photo has to be the one with the dying child and a vulture.

Do you have a link to that photo (with the child and vulture)? Because I've never heard of it (which, admittedly, means nothing in and of itself except that a sample size of at least one has never heard of the photo).
There are two general categories of opinion: regular opinions and informed opinions.
Please do not argue with me unless your opinion falls into the latter category.

Scott Auld

Postby Scott Auld » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

I have a similar hobby: start zoomed all the way out, with no labels (obv), and find the most famous sites on Earth. Pyramids of Giza, Hagia Sophia, The Kaaba, Angkor Wat, etc., etc.

(The reason I started this was because I realized how incredibly stupid I'd feel if I was ever abducted by aliens and asked for a quick tour of the planet, and was unable to find anything.)

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

Klear wrote:

Your description only makes me think of Prometheus.

BTW, the first few "most famous photos" sites I found included your pic but also included a photo of Nessie, which leads me to think that "famous" and "of any real value" are marginally intersecting sets.
And in any case, why all the shock over a vulture near a human? According to the news story, it flew away shortly thereafter (without its alleged meal). Why is this photo important, yet photos of mass murder victims (Kosovo, Somalia, Turkey, Aushwitz, generic_druglord_town,Mexico) are not?
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

four12

Postby four12 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

I've always been fascinated with the epic age of arctic and antarctic exploration. Some seriously brave/tough/stupid people.

In reference to the Lena River, the Jeannette Expedition of 1879 was of particular interest a while back.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

Rotherian wrote:
Klear wrote:child and a vulture.

Do you have a link to that photo (with the child and vulture)?

Google has.

Still, I think, Alberto Korda's photo of Che is much more famous.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”