1093: "Forget"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jorpho

1093: "Forget"

Postby Jorpho » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:46 am UTC

"Baby Got Back" turned 20 this year. My favorite nostalgia show is VH1's "I Love The Inexorable March of Time Toward the Grave That Awaits Us All."

http://xkcd.com/1093/

For those of you mystified by Eyjafjallajökull, I direct you to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jq-sMZtSww . But this would be the first I can recall hearing of Forget About Dre.

Acht, so close! Well, one edit.
Last edited by Jorpho on Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rhomboidal

Re: 1093: "Forget"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:47 am UTC

Everything embarrassing I did today is already a repressed memory.

Also, natural disasters and any VH1 show.

Tyris and Cortle

Postby Tyris and Cortle » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:59 am UTC

Eh, most of this stuff didn't seem important enough to commit to memory anyway.
And Stent!
You can't look dignified when you're having fun.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:27 am UTC

But we will never forget The Macarena, Ross and Rachel getting back together, and Vince ShamWow. Some things just stick with you forever.

(Illustration: how many people who have served in the military have forgotten why Jane Fonda is considered evil?)

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:51 am UTC

Who is that “CUNTON”, that Randall keeps mentioning?

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:53 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:(Illustration: how many people who have served in the military have forgotten why Jane Fonda is considered evil?)

Did she dare to oppose organized professional mass-murder, or what? :P

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:36 am UTC

"Motherfuckers act like you forgot about Dre?" I'll probably never forget it, because it was part of a remix I had of the Busta Rhymes song Break Ya Neck (I have guilty pleasures, shush) that got wiped out of my music collection when my hard drive died on me, and a remix I have been unable to find since.

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:43 am UTC

If you want to get a real shock, try looking up when the things were discovered/invented, that just now became common knowledge…

(Hell, in many backwards countries, you’re lucky if the earth revolving around the sun has become common knowledge yet…)

MechR

Postby MechR » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:02 am UTC

I played a trivia card game recently where a kid (tween age) already didn't recognize "Princess Di". Damn, that made me feel old :(

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:29 am UTC

"Remember that webcomic xkcd?"
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

teelo

Postby teelo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:58 am UTC

Linux0s wrote:"Remember that webcomic xkcd?"

Oh snap

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:01 am UTC

"it started as a mere web comic? wait, what's a web comic? what's the web??"

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:03 am UTC

Remember the time that guy came on a comments thread and proved the theory of relativity wrong?
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

Ideas sleep furiously.

Postby Ideas sleep furiously. » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:12 am UTC

I will never forget Hammertime.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:16 am UTC

Ideas sleep furiously. wrote:I will never forget Hammertime.

i blame the fact there was an MC Hammer animated series.

eidako

Postby eidako » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:29 am UTC

"But there are things not covered by genetic information. Human memories, ideas. Culture. History. Genes don't contain any record of human history. Is it something that should not be passed on? Should that information be left at the mercy of nature? We've always kept records of our lives. Through words, pictures, symbols... from tablets to books...but not all the information was inherited by later generations. A small percentage of the whole was selected and processed, then passed on. Not unlike genes, really. That's what history is, Jack."

The Patriots, Metal Gear Solid 2

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:40 am UTC

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

I've been looking for some strange 90's cartoons, and after Toxic Crusaders, this seems right up my alley.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:32 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

I've been looking for some strange 90's cartoons, and after Toxic Crusaders, this seems right up my alley.

Toxic Crusaders was awesome, another one for you could be ProStars starring Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson, and Wayne Gretzky

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:29 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Toxic Crusaders was awesome, another one for you could be ProStars starring Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson, and Wayne Gretzky

For obscure 90's cartoons, nothing beats the Mighty Ducks in space. So stupid it almost made me want to launch actual ducks into space in protest.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

hideki

Postby hideki » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:57 am UTC

(alt text)

Speak for yourself Randall, I plan on living forever!

Xavios

Postby Xavios » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:20 am UTC

I reject that Forgot About Dre will be forgotten then, as given the rate of it's production, Detox would have come out just a few years earlier and sparked the great West Coast Hip Hop revival of the 2030s.

Kennebrek

Postby Kennebrek » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:39 am UTC

I never felt a pang for Pluto until now.

Kennebrek

in the days of the comet

Postby Kennebrek » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:49 am UTC

A couple of years ago, an intelligent, well-educated ten-year-old boy needed my help to operate a rotary-dial telephone. We're past that point.

I'm already trying to figure out how I'll explain to children in the future what life was like before the internet.

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:14 pm UTC

is "Baby got back" that song about big butts? srsly it's 20 years ? I first heard it in 2007 or 8.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:43 pm UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:
da Doctah wrote:(Illustration: how many people who have served in the military have forgotten why Jane Fonda is considered evil?)

Did she dare to oppose organized professional mass-murder, or what? :P

How many of you saw Barbarella when it was first released? Still gives me shivers (both the good and bad kind)
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:46 pm UTC

First pedantic post: Did Randall use linear, flat, or some other extrapolation to determine the median age for each future year? Considering the existing counterclaims about population explosion and population collapse, there's a lot of ways to go.
And if "Postmortal" (Drew Magary) comes to pass, stuff is going to get remembered for rather a long while.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:47 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
"Baby Got Back" turned 20 this year. My favorite nostalgia show is VH1's "I Love The Inexorable March of Time Toward the Grave That Awaits Us All."

For those of you mystified by Eyjafjallajökull, I direct you to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jq-sMZtSww . But this would be the first I can recall hearing of Forget About Dre.

To help out further with your Icelandic placename pronunciation: Long words are usually just compounds of simple words. Eyjafjallajökull is a combination of:
* Eyja: Island. Pronounced "EY-yah"
* Fjall(a): Mountain. Pronounced "FYAH-tlah". That "ll" is a lateral plosive tongue-click that sounds like the "tl" in "battle".
* Jökull: Glacier. "YUH-kih-tl". The "ö" in "jökull" is sort of halfway between "eh" an "uh", said with rounded lips. The "u" in "jökull" is sort of halfway between "ih" and "uh", said with rounded lips. The "ll" is same as above.

All three of these are obviously very common components in Icelandic place names, given our geography ;)

Some of you may remember a less-publicized (but actually larger) volcanic eruption last year from a volcano named "Grímsvötn". Most foreigners *thought* they could pronounce that one but were actually butchering it. It's "KREEMS-vuht" (with the r a little rolled, same rule on the ö as in jökull, and only a very faint n at the end, possibly none at all - trailing consonants in Icelandic are often highly dulled). It means "Grím's Lakes", as the crater is a series of subglacial lakes beneath Vatnajökull, the largest glacier in Europe.

Thankfully, most of the volcanoes threatening to go off now are pretty easy to pronounce:

* Katla (Eyjafjallajökull's big sister): KAHT-lah
* Hekla: HECK-lah
* Askja: AHSK-yah

Ironically, the word for "easy", auðvelt, is often difficult for non-Icelanders to pronounce. But the word for "complicated" (flókið) is easy! ;)

If you miss an eruption, don't worry - we have a volcano go off every 2 years or so, you'll get another chance ;) A third of all of the lava on Earth in the past 500 years has come from Iceland. Including the most devastating eruption in historic times, Laki's 1783 eruption which killed 6 million people worldwide when stretch of ground a couple dozen kilometers long "unzipped" up to 200 meters wide and erupted a linear lava fountain over 1 kilometer high, complete with unusually high levels of hydrofluoric acid, continuously for 8 months straight.
Last edited by KarenRei on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

KarenRei

Re: in the days of the comet

Postby KarenRei » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:55 pm UTC

Kennebrek wrote:A couple of years ago, an intelligent, well-educated ten-year-old boy needed my help to operate a rotary-dial telephone. We're past that point.

I'm already trying to figure out how I'll explain to children in the future what life was like before the internet.

I'd start with the concept of the paper encyclopedia ;)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:09 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:Ross and Rachel getting back together

Which time?

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:11 pm UTC

KarenRei wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

To help out further with your Icelandic placename pronunciation: Long words are usually just compounds of simple words. Eyjafjallajökull is a combination of:
* Fjall(a): Mountain. Pronounced "FYAH-tlah". That "ll" is a lateral plosive tongue-click that sounds like the "tl" in "battle".
* Jökull: Glacier. "YUH-kih-tl". The "ö" in "jökull" is sort of halfway between "eh" an "uh", said with rounded lips. The "u" in "jökull" is sort of halfway between "ih" and "uh", said with rounded lips. The "ll" is same as above.

All three of these are obviously very common components in Icelandic place names, given our geography ;)

Some of you may remember a less-publicized (but actually larger) volcanic eruption last year from a volcano named "Grímsvötn". Most foreigners *thought* they could pronounce that one but were actually butchering it. It's "KREEMS-vuht" (with the r a little rolled, same rule on the ö as in jökull, and only a very faint n at the end, possibly none at all - trailing consonants in Icelandic are often highly dulled). It means "Grím's Lakes", as the crater is a series of subglacial lakes beneath Vatnajökull, the largest glacier in Europe.

Thankfully, most of the volcanoes threatening to go off now are pretty easy to pronounce:

Ironically, the word for "easy", auðvelt, is often difficult for non-Icelanders to pronounce. But the word for "complicated" (flókið) is easy! ;)

If you miss an eruption, don't worry - we have a volcano go off every 2 years or so, you'll get another chance ;) A third of all of the lava on Earth in the past 500 years has come from Iceland. Including the most devastating eruption in historic times, Laki's 1783 eruption which killed 6 million people worldwide when stretch of ground a couple dozen kilometers long "unzipped" up to 200 meters wide and erupted a linear lava fountain over 1 kilometer high, complete with unusually high levels of hydrofluoric acid, continuously for 8 months straight.

Thanks for the high quality fuel for small talks :D

And how is "ð" pronouced?

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:16 pm UTC

I remember none of those things, though I may have seen some of them on TV.

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:25 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:
KarenRei wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

Thanks for the high quality fuel for small talks :D

And how is "ð" pronouced?

Don't you mean "Little Talks"? ;) Sorry, just had to make a reference to an Icelandic band there ;)

Eth (Ð, ð) is a voiced th, as opposed to thorn (Þ, þ) which is an unvoiced th. For those not familiar with the concept, "them" uses a voiced th, while "thin" uses an unvoiced th. English used to have both letters but subsequently lost them. In many ways, Icelandic is remainescent of Old English - still with concepts like "hither" and "thither", using the word for "have" (eiga) to also mean "shall" (as in, "Have we to go home?" -> "Eigum við að fara heim?"), constructs like "mother-mine" (mamma mín) or "blessed be" (vertu blessuð) or "me thinks" (mér finnst) or "fare" ("ganga" - that is, using the word for "to walk" to also mean "to turn out"/"to result in"), etc, all with an old, super-complex grammar system. Iceland's isolation combined with its unusually high levels of literacy in the middle ages led to a much greater degree of linguistic preservation than in most other countries. An Icelander reading a saga from 800 years ago is roughly equivalent in terms of difficulty to a native English speaker reading Shakespeare from 400 years ago.
Last edited by KarenRei on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:32 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

cegan09

Postby cegan09 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:26 pm UTC

this has been the week of making me feel old, and i'm not even that old.

this past weekend i went to see a band that was playing their first show since breaking up when i was in high school. It dawned on me that the last time i had seen them facebook didn't exist.

pbnjstowell

Postby pbnjstowell » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:26 pm UTC

I feel so... old.

I bought an Everyman's Cyclopedia set from 1912 at an estate sale a few years back. It's a fascinating historical perspective: What was important enough to remember 100 years ago?
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:33 pm UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:If you want to get a real shock, try looking up when the things were discovered/invented, that just now became common knowledge…

(Hell, in many backwards countries, you’re lucky if the earth revolving around the sun has become common knowledge yet…)

True, though astronomers occasionally point out that, strictly speaking, the Earth doesn't revolve around the sun; it revolves around the solar system's barycenter (i.e., its center of mass), which usually lies outside the sun.

Actually, it was Isaac Newton himself who figured this out. As astronomers got better estimates of the masses of the planets, he calculated the effects of the larger planets on the sun, and found that the center of mass of Jupiter and the sun was in fact a few thousand km above the sun's visible surface. It turns out that, when the other large planets (mostly Saturn) are on the other side from Jupiter, the barycenter will fall into the sun. Uranus and Neptune have similar, but smaller effects.

For a first-order estimate, it's OK to say that the Earth revolves around the sun. But it's more accurate to say that the Earth revolves around the solar system's barycenter, which is usually but not always somewhat outside the sun (and inside the sun's corona).

Or you can classify the sun-centric model as a quaint belief that superseded the Earth-centric model for a few centuries, but was replaced several centuries ago by the more accurate model that has the sun itself in orbit about the actual center of the solar system. ;-)

There are a number of easy-to-find orbital simulators online that illustrate all this quite well. One of them shows a brief interval in 2169 when the solar system barycenter passes only a few hundred km from the sun's center. At other times, the barycenter can get over a solar radius above the sun's surface, as all the planets line up on one side of the sun.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:53 pm UTC

jc, could you post the link for such simulators? :)

Chicagojon

Postby Chicagojon » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

pbnjstowell wrote:I feel so... old.

I bought an Everyman's Cyclopedia set from 1912 at an estate sale a few years back. It's a fascinating historical perspective: What was important enough to remember 100 years ago?

Well, today -100..."the US senate passed the Panama Canal Bill, giving American ships free passage through the canal"..."This is a violation of the treaty under which the Canal is being built"
<a href="http://whateveritisimagainstit.blogspot.com/">Whatever it is, I\'m against it</a>

Of course that would never happen in this day and age with modern democracies. :roll:

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:30 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:jc, could you post the link for such simulators? :)

Nah; just google it. The phrase "solar system barycenter" works fine, with or without the quotes.

... and there goes the rest of your day ...

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:38 pm UTC

jc wrote:
PolakoVoador wrote:jc, could you post the link for such simulators? :)

Nah; just google it. The phrase "solar system barycenter" works fine, with or without the quotes.

... and there goes the rest of your day ...

Yeah, job productivity reaching Wally's level :P

I found this one, wich you can download, or just look at the pretty pictures. It gives a nice notion of the influence of each planet in Sun's orbit around the barycenter.

tinlong

Postby tinlong » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:47 pm UTC

Hi All, first time posting here, nice to meet you all.

It looks like to me, the list of events generally have a 35-year span from the actual time the event happened...?

e.g.
Chernobyl - happened in 1986, forget in 2020 - 34 years
Columbine - happened in 1999, forget in 2034 - 35 years
9/11 - happened in 2001, forget in 2036 - 35 years

Anything embarrassing you do today (2012) is 2047, also 35 years :lol:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”