Anyone know any legal mumbo-jumbo 'round here?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

King Author

Anyone know any legal mumbo-jumbo 'round here?

Postby King Author » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:37 pm UTC

Let's say I had an expensive medical procedure planned, and over the phone, I had worked out a payment plan with the doctor's receptionist. Let's then say that I show up the day of the procedure, get in the operating room and after prep work, a nurse comes in and asks me if I have insurance. I say no, and then explain the payment plan I had worked out. The nurse tells me they won't honor that plan. She goes and talks to the doctor, comes back and confirms for me, there's no way they'll honor the plan. Either pony up the full price or get the hell out.

Do I have any sort of case? False advertising? Breach of verbal contract?

Clearly, the receptionist shouldn't have made the plan with me, but that's not my fault if she's improperly trained. The doctor should have honored the plan.

And let me tell you, I stress the fuck out before medical procedures. I was an absolute wreck two weeks leading up to this, and I finally get there and this happens. Needless to say, I'm definitely not going back to these incompetant, renegging fucks, and I'm going to do everything I can within the law to ruin their business (I'm currently unemployed, too, so I'm prepared to spend eight hours a day picketing and driving away their business, not to mention name-calling all over the internet). A lawsuit would help that along, but I don't know whether there's anything I can do.
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

gorcee

Re: Anyone know any legal mumbo-jumbo 'round here?

Postby gorcee » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:54 pm UTC

They're not really under any obligation unless you can provide proof that they agreed to that payment plan (and even then, they might not be under obligation).

So lesson to learn: get it in writing. Always. Every single time.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:16 pm UTC

Yeah, you probably don't have any legal recourse, but you can always make a stink. I believe most hospitals have some sort of administrator or director or something. See who you can get ahold of and give 'em the situation. It may not make a difference, but at least they'll be aware that someone is trying to make deals the hospital can't/won't honor, especially if that someone is no position to be offering that sort of thing even if they could honor it.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:36 am UTC

Legally, you may have a case (a verbal contract is as valid as a written one; the question is whether the receptionist has (or appears to have) the authority to negotiate it). The problem is that you'll have a hell of a time proving it in a court of law.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:07 am UTC

Yeah I really doubt you can actually do anything, cause it was a deal made with a receptionist, who (I would assume) utterly lacks the authority to make such a deal.

So it's not THEIR fault so much as the receptionist's. It's more like (s)he lied* to you and they said "uh, no", as opposed to them reneging on some established deal.

*directly misinformed; perhaps not deliberate, but nevertheless...
uhhhh fuck.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:37 am UTC

King Author wrote:Do I have any sort of case?

No. Lacking something in writing, you're SOL.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Oflick

Postby Oflick » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:04 pm UTC

In Australia you'd have no case, and the laws not that different to America, so I'd say probably no.

King Author

Postby King Author » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:33 pm UTC

Well that sucks. Man, I hate doctors. Money-grubbing, pill-pushing, corporate whore parasites. I'd just about trade the roughly 70-year lifespan I can expect thanks to modern medicine for a 35-year one if it meant never having to deal with the medical profession.
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Yeah man, doctors suck, with all of their life-saving and shit. Where do they get off?

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

King Author wrote:Well that sucks. Man, I hate doctors. Money-grubbing, pill-pushing, corporate whore parasites. I'd just about trade the roughly 70-year lifespan I can expect thanks to modern medicine for a 35-year one if it meant never having to deal with the medical profession.

You can probably achieve that, if you'd like.

Just stop going to the doctor, and stop caring about your well-being.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

King Author wrote:Well that sucks. Man, I hate doctors. Money-grubbing, pill-pushing, corporate whore parasites. I'd just about trade the roughly 70-year lifespan I can expect thanks to modern medicine for a 35-year one if it meant never having to deal with the medical profession.

you can probably still acheive a pretty big lifespan and not deal with doctors. provided you don't have some major illness, just routine maintenance should be plenty. eat right, take some vitamins, get enough exercise, lower stress, etc.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

Tomlidich wrote:

you can probably still acheive a pretty big lifespan and not deal with doctors. provided you don't have some major illness, just routine maintenance should be plenty. eat right, take some vitamins, get enough exercise, lower stress, etc.

Nope. Doctors suggest that, so they must be after his money.

What he should do is the OPPOSITE of that. Stick it to the man.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:48 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:
Tomlidich wrote:

Nope. Doctors suggest that, so they must be after his money.

What he should do is the OPPOSITE of that. Stick it to the man.

got it. tequila on my cereal please!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

Only if it's rice based. Rum goes better with corn, and bourbon with cereals that have little marshmallows in them, while whiskey is for cereals that are just coated in sugar.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:05 pm UTC

You have the best breakfasts.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:34 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Only if it's rice based. Rum goes better with corn, and bourbon with cereals that have little marshmallows in them, while whiskey is for cereals that are just coated in sugar.
SecondTalon wrote: I FUCKING LOVE VODKA!

but what about vodka?

i suppose that only goes with wheaties. the RUSSIAN BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS.

JoeyJo0

Postby JoeyJo0 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:22 pm UTC

Trolling much?

If it wasn't for doctors:

That wouldn't have been resolved.
Ell (to Hintss) wrote:No, you can't see who has foed you. Be glad, because the list would probably be long enough to give you carpal tunnel if you tried to scroll through it.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:24 pm UTC

Cranial haemorrhage?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

JoeyJo0

Postby JoeyJo0 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:40 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Cranial haemorrhage?

Meningitis combined with Encephalitis.

It's all a bunch of pus. I've had a decompressive craniectomy combined with METRIC FUCKTONS of antibiotics and I got all fixed up.

Then again, I live in the Netherlands, where health care is actually good and not a bunch of doctors just going for cashcashcashcash(Some of them do, however, but you can pick them out).
Ell (to Hintss) wrote:No, you can't see who has foed you. Be glad, because the list would probably be long enough to give you carpal tunnel if you tried to scroll through it.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

Do I get points for identifying that it was fluid buildup??

That sounds horrible though.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:26 pm UTC

Tomlidich wrote:but what about vodka?

Vodka already has the Bloody Mary which is the only socially acceptable way to consume liquor in the morning.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

pizzazz

Postby pizzazz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:22 am UTC

folkhero wrote:

Vodka already has the Bloody Mary which is the only socially acceptable way to consume liquor in the morning.

I think you just have to find different social groups.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:02 am UTC

Carnildo wrote:Legally, you may have a case (a verbal contract is as valid as a written one; the question is whether the receptionist has (or appears to have) the authority to negotiate it). The problem is that you'll have a hell of a time proving it in a court of law.

In Pennsylvania (where King Author seems to be located), to bring a suit for breach of contract, you have to attach a copy of the contract to the complaint. You can't file suit for breach of a verbal contract.

However, KA may be able to file a suit against the medical practice claiming negligent infliction of emotional distress. However, whether KA would be able to recover using that claim would really depend on the precise circumstances of KA's contact with the staff of the practice and requires knowing more specific details than what KA provided here.

It's a crappy situation. I hope it all works out.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

meridian

Postby meridian » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:32 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:

Alas! Please do not forget the ever popular and very tasty when done right champagne+orangejuice mimosa. It is also a perfectly acceptable way to booze it up in the AM.

Unless you're referring to liquor as the key word in that sentence, as it is defined by the distilling process, and let it slide.
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:54 am UTC

meridian wrote:
folkhero wrote:

Alas! Please do not forget the ever popular and very tasty when done right champagne+orangejuice mimosa. It is also a perfectly acceptable way to booze it up in the AM.

Unless you're referring to liquor as the key word in that sentence, as it is defined by the distilling process, and let it slide.

I did mean hard liquor, but I did forget another orange juice cocktail: the tequila sunrise.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:20 am UTC

Plus, Zach Weiner already proved that anything + coffee = breakfast.
Tomlidich wrote:

Yeah, unless you get smallpox.

OH WAIT. DAMMIT, DOCTORS!
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

King Author

Postby King Author » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

JoeyJo0 wrote:

Trolling much?

If it wasn't for doctors:

That wouldn't have been resolved.

Yes. Yes, I'm trolling doctors on the xkcd board. Since the entire medical profession uses this as their base on the internet, of course. Bravo you brilliant, brilliant man.

Seriously, accusing someone of trolling on the internet is meaningless. It's like when a little kid whines "I'm bored." It's an utter waste of human communication. It's just meaningless.

JoeyJo0 wrote:
Angua wrote:Cranial haemorrhage?

Meningitis combined with Encephalitis.

It's all a bunch of pus. I've had a decompressive craniectomy combined with METRIC FUCKTONS of antibiotics and I got all fixed up.

Then again, I live in the Netherlands, where health care is actually good and not a bunch of doctors just going for cashcashcashcash(Some of them do, however, but you can pick them out).

Okay, riddle me this -- my thingy at the right side of the screen clearly states I'm from Pennsylvania in the USA. Presumably, at the time of your last post, you knew that you lived in another country. Presumably, you also knew that Netherlandish medicine is far more progressive than American. Maybe you didn't know those things, I don't like to presume, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and I'll take it all back.

So how is it an American, complaining about American medicine, has to be trolling because in the Netherlands, not all doctors are crooks?

I'm honestly asking. My goal in life is to understand everything. I know I'll never achieve it, but whenever I stand a chance of increasing my knowledge, odds are, I'll take it. How did you get from point A to point B?

MiB24601 wrote:
Carnildo wrote:Legally, you may have a case (a verbal contract is as valid as a written one; the question is whether the receptionist has (or appears to have) the authority to negotiate it). The problem is that you'll have a hell of a time proving it in a court of law.

In Pennsylvania (where King Author seems to be located), to bring a suit for breach of contract, you have to attach a copy of the contract to the complaint. You can't file suit for breach of a verbal contract.

However, KA may be able to file a suit against the medical practice claiming negligent infliction of emotional distress. However, whether KA would be able to recover using that claim would really depend on the precise circumstances of KA's contact with the staff of the practice and requires knowing more specific details than what KA provided here.

Crap. I'll make sure to get things in writing from now on.
*sigh*
What a country. You know, for a few weeks there, I actually thought Obama was gonna buckle down and stick it to big medicine, so they'd stop being able to dick us around with impugnity. But, liberals are pussies and conservatives are in the pocket of big business, so I guess that was delusional on my part.

What a country...

MiB24601 wrote:It's a crappy situation. I hope it all works out.

Thanks.

Bakemaster wrote:Plus, Zach Weiner already proved that anything + coffee = breakfast.
Tomlidich wrote:

Edward Jenner was a scientist, not a doctor. I could preform the injection myself if I were able to obtain the vaccine for myself.

Actually, come to think of it, can I? I wonder, do medical supply companies or whatever ever sell to citizens? I mean, doctors are pretty much obsolete now, anyway, what with Google. I've never gone to the doctor and not already known what my diagnosis was, just from Googling my symptoms. Doctors really just serve as safety measures against any old Joe getting his hands on any meds he wants; their diagnostic abilities are moot. Surgery is the only thing doctors have still really got, and they'll be replaced by robots in the future, so...I guess in the long run, things are looking up for me.

Then again, the robot surgeons will probably spontaneously develop A.I. and be total dicks, too.

I dunno, it's just...is this where we were supposed to end up? Humans, I mean. Where medicine is a privilege for the wealthy, not a right of the masses?

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

King Author wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:Plus, Zach Weiner already proved that anything + coffee = breakfast.
Tomlidich wrote:

Edward Jenner was a scientist, not a doctor. I could preform the injection myself if I were able to obtain the vaccine for myself.

Actually, come to think of it, can I? I wonder, do medical supply companies or whatever ever sell to citizens? I mean, doctors are pretty much obsolete now, anyway, what with Google. I've never gone to the doctor and not already known what my diagnosis was, just from Googling my symptoms. Doctors really just serve as safety measures against any old Joe getting his hands on any meds he wants; their diagnostic abilities are moot. Surgery is the only thing doctors have still really got, and they'll be replaced by robots in the future, so...I guess in the long run, things are looking up for me.

Then again, the robot surgeons will probably spontaneously develop A.I. and be total dicks, too.

I dunno, it's just...is this where we were supposed to end up? Humans, I mean. Where medicine is a privilege for the wealthy, not a right of the masses?

well, i suppose if they develop more user friendly medical tools, (like syringes that are not so easy to mess up, maybe like in premade doses) i suppose the average person could provide themselves with medical care. mainly doctors just go through so much schooling to make sure they don't mess up, because if they do its lawsuit time. if you do it yourself, then you are the only one to blame.
i know all the times i went to the doctors all they did was write out a prescription for something i can pick up at the drug store. if there were online resources, and they made medicine cheaper and more available, i wouldn't have to. and you know, if schools got off their lazy asses and taught us how to maintain our own bodies, that would be a plus. but oh wait, its run by the state, so we can't change that. darn.

felltir

Postby felltir » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:26 pm UTC

Don't worry about doctors, guys! KingAuthor, with the power of THE INTERNET, can diagnose ALL ills, with no tests at all!
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!

Blog

he/him/his

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:27 pm UTC

If there's anything WebMD has taught me, it's that I have symptoms for everything.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

Point of Note - Edward Jenner trained as a surgeon, and a GP (though because he did surgery, he would have gone as Mr in the UK).

So, medical doctor and scientist. Both at the same time. I know quite a few of those, actually.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:Don't worry about doctors, guys! KingAuthor, with the power of THE INTERNET, can diagnose ALL ills, with no tests at all!

well what if they had a center that did nothing but blood tests? just drop off your blood sample, pick up your test results later, and go from there.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:50 pm UTC

King Author wrote:Actually, come to think of it, can I? I wonder, do medical supply companies or whatever ever sell to citizens? I mean, doctors are pretty much obsolete now, anyway, what with Google.

To the first part, my guess is no; there's more to a vaccination than sticking someone with a needle and depressing the plunger.
To the second; I think you're an idiot. You are whining and griping about how doctors aren't free and your verbal contract with a receptionist wasn't honored by the doctors, and then turn around and complain that you think doctors are obsolete because you can find out anything they can tell you anyway.
Tomlidich wrote:well what if they had a center that did nothing but blood tests? just drop off your blood sample, pick up your test results later, and go from there.

I don't trust most people to know how to take a blood sample.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

felltir

Postby felltir » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

Tomlidich wrote:
Felltir wrote:Don't worry about doctors, guys! KingAuthor, with the power of THE INTERNET, can diagnose ALL ills, with no tests at all!

well what if they had a center that did nothing but blood tests? just drop off your blood sample, pick up your test results later, and go from there.

I have type 3 Ehrlers Danlos Syndrome. That's a very precise test, but a very easy clinical diagnosis. Try again. You can't just do "a blood test". You have to test for something.
Spoiler:

Blog

he/him/his

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:
Tomlidich wrote:

I have type 3 Ehrlers Danlos Syndrome. That's a very precise test, but a very easy clinical diagnosis. Try again. You can't just do "a blood test". You have to test for something.

ah ok. wasn't quite sure how that worked.

so then it is not just a simple test of levels of stuff in there or something?

i guess that rules out caring for yourself then.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:00 pm UTC

Tomlidich wrote:

Yeah, whenever my GP sends my blood off for a test there's a list of check boxes for them to choose what they want to test. So you could tick all of them, but that seems wasteful. Also blood tests are not the be all and end all. I've had both urine and stool tests for certain things, and then you need to know what you need to send off for what, and the prep conditions (fasting, being off certain drugs before hand etc)
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

King Author wrote:doctors are pretty much obsolete now, anyway, what with Google. I've never gone to the doctor and not already known what my diagnosis was, just from Googling my symptoms.

3/10 but I'll bite.

Since when do doctors just diagnose problems?

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:
Tomlidich wrote:

Yeah, whenever my GP sends my blood off for a test there's a list of check boxes for them to choose what they want to test. So you could tick all of them, but that seems wasteful. Also blood tests are not the be all and end all. I've had both urine and stool tests for certain things, and then you need to know what you need to send off for what, and the prep conditions (fasting, being off certain drugs before hand etc)

yeah..... way too much for an average person.

i guess i will stick with finding a good doctor.

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

Hey guys, I took a test for [insert disorder here]. The test is 95% accurate and it came back positive.

That means I have the disorder with high probability, right? Who needs doctors? Diagnosis is just looking up symptoms/lab results in a book and connecting the dots.

Doctors are totally obsolete. The only thing preventing me from doing my own vaccinations is access to the drugs, right? And then when I get into a car accident and hit my head against the C pillar, the only thing preventing me from doing my own MRI is access to the multi-million dollar machine that generates magnetic fields many thousands of times more powerful than the Earth's, using more power for a single scan than my house will use all month, having a staff on hand of trained individuals certified to use the incredibly expensive machine, and the software to interpret the images, which was created by mathematicians, physicists and software engineers who have an extremely specialized skillset that takes years of training to develop.

But other than that, once I get the images, I can totally diagnose them by myself. Stupid doctor conspiracy, all trying to be money grubbing whores. I mean, what part of any of that process could possibly cost any significant amount of money?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:15 pm UTC

Tomlidich wrote:
blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:
Tomlidich wrote:

yeah..... way too much for an average person.

i guess i will stick with finding a good doctor.
Also, depending on what you're testing for, you have to put the blood into a different tube which has various chemicals in it to preserve the blood depending on what you want to measure. Which is why if you go for a blood test, you'll generally see more than one vial, with different coloured tops.

Also, coming up with a diagnosis can be a bit more difficult than just looking at some symptoms and figuring out what goes with what - for example there are lots of symptoms that are similar for many different diseases. And other symptoms you probably wouldn't even notice until they got extreme.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “General”