What OS would you suggest for this Asus EEE 2G Surf?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

What OS would you suggest for this Asus EEE 2G Surf?

Postby Jorpho » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:08 am UTC

I pulled out my Eee PC a while ago. It comes pre-installed with a version of Xandros (apparently derived from Ubuntu 7.10, according to http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4209 ) which is definitely getting a little out of date: I was alarmed to find that I was barely able to install the latest version of Opera.

This thing is so woefully underpowered (see the link) that I have no idea if I can replace it with something else, however. Could someone familiar with the options for netbooks suggest something? Apparently Aurora/Eeebuntu is a little bit too large for the 2 GB drive, for instance.

Amalith

Re: What OS would you suggest for this Asus EEE 2G Surf?

Postby Amalith » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:51 am UTC

Puppy linux is probably the most popular for low spec systems. They seem to recommend you boot it from CD or USB rather than install it (you still can), but if you have a 2GB drive, running entirely off of USB might be a bonus. It'll definitely be small enoughto fit even if you decide to use your harddrive. Haiku's supposed to be pretty good for old systems too, but I don't know much about it.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:22 am UTC

The Haiku alpha is actually useful?

I've mucked about with Puppy before; my biggest concern is, can it run Opera? (Opera's "Fit-to-Width" feature is damn handy on that tiny, tiny screen.)

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

Just saying, as an EeePC owner, I feel your pain. Xandros is the biggest waste of effort OS to ever touch a computer.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

Cue wrote:Just saying, as an EeePC owner, I feel your pain. Xandros is the biggest waste of effort OS to ever touch a computer.
Well, as this is definitely not much of a computer, it's a fine match that way. :P

doinkisaac

Postby doinkisaac » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:09 am UTC

Arch, maybe? It's pretty much the most minimal distro that I know of, excluding Linux From Scratch (you might want to look into that, too).

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:27 am UTC

I should add that the key issue here, aside from running Opera, is driver support for whatever's in this thing. (Danged if I know where the drivers came from or what dependencies they might have.)

Return to “Hardware”