0869: "Server Attention Span"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kbinferno

0869: "Server Attention Span"

Postby kbinferno » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:01 am UTC

Alt Text: "They have to keep the adjacent rack units empty. Otherwise, half the entries in their /var/log/syslog are just 'SERVER BELOW TRYING TO START CONVERSATION *AGAIN*.' and 'WISH THEY'D STOP GIVING HIM SO MUCH COFFEE IT SPLATTERS EVERYWHERE."

I wish technology would listen to me when I try to communicate with it.
Last edited by kbinferno on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

EcoReck20

Re: 0869: "Server Attention Span"

Postby EcoReck20 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:03 am UTC

KotakuKotakuKotakuKotakuKotakuKotakuKotakuKotakuKotakuKotaku

uma

Postby uma » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:05 am UTC

Soon to be a major motion picture starring Guy Pearce.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:05 am UTC

"Hi I'm the Youtube Server! Who are you? ^_^"

"I'm a browser, I'd like to see this music video from that band I like."

"Oh boy! I can help!Let me get it for -- WHOA! You're a SMARTPHONE BrowseR?!"

"Yeah.."

"YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO VIEW THIS CONTENT"

"Aw, why not?"

"PIRACY HACKING GEOLOCATION YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED ANYTHING. However, your search has picked up drunk videophone movies of people karaoke-ing to that band you like, wanna watch them?"

"Ah.. no..."

"You sure? They're the top hit for your search?"

"Yeahh.. I'll be going now..."

mschmidt62

Postby mschmidt62 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:10 am UTC

Server sounds sorta like Randy the Bandicoot.

black_hat_guy

Postby black_hat_guy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:12 am UTC

NOOOOOOOOO! I was going to say that, but I just had to link to a comic.
Billy was a chemist.
He isn't any more.
What he thought was H2O
was H2SO4.

westrim

Postby westrim » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:13 am UTC

Questionable Content Response: Hi there, I'm Randy!

Real response: I haven't used a smartphone browser, is there a lack of cookies or something so some websites think you're a new person every time, even when navigating between different parts of the site?
Last edited by westrim on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

[Ee]xpression[s]?

Postby [Ee]xpression[s]? » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:13 am UTC

I don't know anybody who hasn't come across this. I have no idea why someone would spend so much time and money making a mobile site, without making content cross-viewable. Is it that hard?

suso

Postby suso » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:14 am UTC

I don't get this. If anything its the reverse.

Sent from my iPhone (not really)
Imagine theres no signatures....

Psykar

Postby Psykar » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:21 am UTC

westrim wrote:is there a lack of cookies or something so some websites think you're a new person every time, even when navigating between different parts of the site?
Yes, and also a lot of website only have a mobile page for SOME of their content.
So when you try to load http://example.com/somedir/somepage.html it instead sends you back to http://m.example.com instead of just loading the full page, with no way to access http://example.com/somedir/somepage.html again...

uzumaki42

Postby uzumaki42 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:33 am UTC

Hi, I'm Dorry!

iamagloworm

Postby iamagloworm » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:34 am UTC

this is the first comic in a long time that i found really funny. excellent work!

picnic_crossfire

Postby picnic_crossfire » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:36 am UTC

I approve of the contents of this comic.
picnic time!

hackthat

Postby hackthat » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:44 am UTC

Hmmm.
Slightly curved screen... four buttons on the bottom..
Might this be a Nexus S?

What phone does Randall have, do we know?
I know he used to have a G1 so he's definitely an android man.

syko_lozz

Postby syko_lozz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:04 am UTC

I dont quite see the connection to the attention span, or get the point of the alt text...

BUT... ARRGHHH I hate it when this happens!! Seriously, we all have very clever smartphone browsers now, they can cope with the full site. And if they cant, just have a link somewhere!!
Debate politics with a fern. If you lose, refuse to water it.

AvianMinded

Postby AvianMinded » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:10 am UTC

I went to high school with people like this. Funny thing is most of them are also servers.
"There is a BIG difference between finding the shotgun and finding the guy WITH the shotgun."

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:10 am UTC

Possibly this behaviour doesn't get any better on other populated planets:
Douglas Adams wrote:Hi there. This is Eddie, your shipboard computer, and I'm feeling just great, guys, and I know I'm just going to get a bundle of kicks out of any program you care to run through me.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:10 am UTC

Hmm, xkcd often does the "humans acting like computers" thing so I guess this is an inversion.
[edit]
Also: if I'm viewing an xkcd comic there's a link to m.xkcd.com but no way to go directly to the mobile version of that particular comic. Ha!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

maxh

Postby maxh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:15 am UTC

What's really fun is when the server decides you need the mobile site ON A NORMAL BLOODY COMPUTER.

darknut

Postby darknut » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:17 am UTC

in my mind the sever has the same voice as randy
poxic wrote: Take a source of light and cook it up until it lases -- now you have a laser.

hailthefish

Postby hailthefish » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:23 am UTC

Sounds like Kotaku!

XtremD

Postby XtremD » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:27 am UTC

When the IPhone just came out, this was all the rage. Why, I cannot say.

In other news: Oh me yarm I'm actually on the first page of comments! WOO!

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:29 am UTC

good comic, but i laughed out loud 3 times in this thread.
wish i could sleep.

s0merand0mdude

Postby s0merand0mdude » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:45 am UTC

Story of my effing life...

It's really annoying when the only reason yo visit a site is for the forums/comment section yet it doesn't let you access the fourms/comment section.
unus vox wrote:Then again, you're looking for characterization, compelling dialogue, and cohesion in a 3-panel web comic with stick figures.

Icalasari

Postby Icalasari » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:12 am UTC

What I hate is when it loads the main page, then you have to search for the damn thing on the mobile site

...With there being no reason to because it sent you straight to the mobile version before

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:29 am UTC

Heh heh, look what is trending on Twitter right now:
Screen shot 2011-03-06 at 11.28.23 PM 2.jpg
Screen shot 2011-03-06 at 11.28.23 PM 2.jpg (17.02 KiB) Viewed 17676 times
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

naj

Postby naj » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:45 am UTC

I think the servers behaviour is quite understandable: What would you do if every second sentence of a conversation would be load-balanced away?

thelastholdout

Postby thelastholdout » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:02 am UTC

The four buttons and huge screen hint toward an Android phone of some sort (like my Droid X!) But I have run across this before. My phone does great displaying full content, and trying to view some pages when the browser keeps kicking me back to the mobile version is annoying. What also annoys me is the often limited functionality of the mobile site. Or, in cases like Facebook, the downright horrible design.

As for Youtube videos, I get around the "this can't be viewed on mobile" bullshit by just playing the video in browser. God, I love Froyo and Flash on Android.

And yes, I typed this on the Droid X.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:20 am UTC

Psykar wrote:Yes, and also a lot of website only have a mobile page for SOME of their content.
So when you try to load http://example.com/somedir/somepage.html it instead sends you back to http://m.example.com instead of just loading the full page, with no way to access http://example.com/somedir/somepage.html again...

I think if anything, it's worse when http://m.example.com/somedir/somepage.html does exist... because then you know that the redirect could have done something almost useful, but no, it just dumped you at the homepage of whatever site.

It's like those annoying programs that say "Are you sure you want to do that? [Yes] [No]" but whenever you move your mouse over the "Yes" button it jumps to somewhere else on the screen. Except instead of a "yes" button, it's the content of the page that your friend linked to.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:45 am UTC

syko_lozz wrote:I dont quite see the connection to the attention span, or get the point of the alt text...

BUT... ARRGHHH I hate it when this happens!! Seriously, we all have very clever smartphone browsers now, they can cope with the full site. And if they cant, just have a link somewhere!!

I use Opera now. They tend to be able to fool most servers into thinking you have a full HTML pc like browser. At least Google have a "mobile or classic" (What? How is the internet "classic" now?) option.

PS, GOOMHR!!! This happens all the time. I hate it! :D
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:46 am UTC

This is why you can't use absolute-pixel positioning. It assumes too much about the user's screensize and resolution... if they have a screen at all.

When web developers realize this, their instinct is to compensate with a "special" version of the site for limited browsers. 10 years ago it was a "text-only" version of the site. Now it is mobile browsers. The "special" version of the site is never quite kept up-to-date unless it is automatically generated from the same data-sources.

Incidently, the complaints about YouTube not working on a mobile device may be just Google enforcing an agreement with Adobe:
Flash 10.2 EULA wrote:4.1 Adobe Runtime Restrictions. You will not Use any Adobe Runtime on any non-PC device or
with any embedded or device version of any operating system. For the avoidance of doubt, and by
example only, you may not Use an Adobe Runtime on any (a) mobile device, set top box (STB),
handheld, phone, game console, TV, DVD player, media center (other than with Windows XP
Media Center Edition and its successors), electronic billboard or other digital signage, Internet
appliance or other Internet-connected device, PDA, medical device, ATM, telematic device, gaming
machine, home automation system, kiosk, remote control device, or any other consumer electronics
device, (b) operator-based mobile, cable, satellite, or television system or (c) other closed system
device. No right or license to Use any Adobe Runtime is granted for such prohibited uses.
For information on Software license terms for non-PC versions of Adobe Runtimes please
visit http://www.adobe.com/go/runtime_mobile_EULA. For information on licensing Adobe Runtimes
for distribution on such systems please visit http://www.adobe.com/go/licensing.
- Flashplayer EULA; PDF, multiple languages, page 66-67

Incidentally, I tried the "runtime_mobile_EULA" link listed; it is broken for my desktop browser (I am redirected to a page listing all the similar PDF files).

The license for the Java Runtime Environment has similar restrictions:
License Agreement for JRE 6.0 wrote:1 DEFINITIONS. "Software" means the identified above in binary form, any other machine readable materials (including, but not limited to, libraries, source files, header files, and data files), any updates or error corrections provided by Oracle, and any user manuals, programming guides and other documentation provided to you by Oracle under this Agreement. "General Purpose Desktop Computers and Servers" means computers, including desktop and laptop computers, or servers, used for general computing functions under end user control (such as but not specifically limited to email, general purpose Internet browsing, and office suite productivity tools). The use of Software in systems and solutions that provide dedicated functionality (other than as mentioned above) or designed for use in embedded or function-specific software applications, for example but not limited to: Software embedded in or bundled with industrial control systems, wireless mobile telephones, wireless handheld devices, netbooks, kiosks, TV/STB, Blu-ray Disc devices, telematics and network control switching equipment, printers and storage management systems, and other related systems are excluded from this definition and not licensed under this Agreement. "Programs" means (a) Java technology applets and applications intended to run on the Java Platform Standard Edition (Java SE) platform on Java-enabled General Purpose Desktop Computers and Servers, and (b) JavaFX technology applications intended to run on the JavaFX Runtime on JavaFX-enabled General Purpose Desktop Computers and Servers.
- Oracle Corporation Binary Code License Agreement for the JAVA SE RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT (JRE) VERSION 6 and JAVAFX RUNTIME

Since I don't consider computers running Windows Vista or 7 "General Purpose," I don't think installing the JRE on those systems is actually allowed.

Edit: tried to check if Sliverlight makes it 3-for-3. I got redirected here. So, I don't know what the license says. Lynx only told me:
Get Silverlight wrote:
One moment, please, while the current Silverlight installation status
is determined...

RECOMMENDED: Use Silverlight in the 32-bit Internet Explorer process on
x64 systems. Most browser plug-ins (including Silverlight, Flash, Java
and almost all ActiveX controls) only work in 32-bit browsers
currently.

TL;DR: In short, the companies making the popular "rich content" standards don't consider mobile devices to be computers. From what I have seen, most many web-developers don't consider non-graphical, Javascript-free user-agents to be "browsers" either.
Did you get the number on that truck?

tommm

Postby tommm » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:30 am UTC

All I can think is:

"Hi, I'm Dory!"

Spaztaztic

Postby Spaztaztic » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:37 am UTC

I used to get really annoyed at this, but i've switched to skyfire on my optimus, and just stay in desktop mode. Yeah, the text doesn't align perfectly with my screen, but at least i get straight through

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:48 am UTC

Randall must have been on lifehacker recently. It gets even worse when you're not in the US, when you get the worthless redirects even from desktop browsers.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

chernobyl

Postby chernobyl » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:04 am UTC

I admit I'm guilty of coding a couple of such half-assed mobile implementations myself.
In this world of deadlines, budgets and priorities, more often than not, stuff isn't being done properly.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:38 am UTC

Hee, I saw the trend on Twitter and wondered what it was. #ligerblood

uzumaki42 wrote:Hi, I'm Dorry!

I read the comic with Dorian paracusia from the beginning. It pleases me to know that it was an apt voice to use in my head. Good show.

"Ugh, this website keeps selecting the mobile site for my $smartphone. I want the full site"
/whitewhine.tumblr.com
/firstworldproblems

F

#FelstaffsKorner
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Piquan

Postby Piquan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:05 am UTC

The iPhone stock app gets news articles for each security you're viewing. (I think it gets these from Yahoo!.) The links you get are all to the non-mobile sites. They VERY often redirect you to the main page of the mobile site.

So here's a product that ships with a smartphone, displaying a feed full of links that won't actually display on a smartphone. Why, why, WHY?!?

Ah, well. Back to debating whether to name my next web server "randy" or "bandicoot".

keeperofdakeys

Postby keeperofdakeys » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:20 am UTC

The default, and most other Android browsers have options to change the useragent to a desktop browser. This is side-skipping the problem though. I have only come across one site that didn't work properly, and it used javascript pop-out menus (not just javascript enhanced css one, fully javascript).

sportsracer48

Postby sportsracer48 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:25 pm UTC

Um, the link to m.xkcd.com? Yeah, it just goes back to the homepage. Sorry.

MitraSmit

Postby MitraSmit » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:28 pm UTC

Mobile websites are almost as bad as the equivalent apps (like Facebook Mobile vs. Facebook App). I rarely ever use the mobile websites, although some extremely stubborn websites (like Facebook again) every now and then throw you back to their mobile nonsense.

My smartphone has a 4 inch screen, I can read a normal site just fine. Stop deciding things for me. Also, stop leaving out important functions on your mobile site when there's no room to make a square centimeter button for it. And for God's sake, let me zoom on your mobile page!
- I don't have time for these bugs
-OK then just leave them out

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”