Are you prepared for the zombie apocalypse?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Are you prepared for the zombie apocalypse?

Postby Thesh » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:48 pm UTC

I'm trying to build up a good cache of weapons and ammo, I'm stocking up on canned bacon, canned corn, canned beans, ramen noodles and twinkies. I also have a good supply of flammable materials to slow hordes of zombies.

Honestly, I don't think this is enough. I need think I need to find somewhere close to a water supply, with a good food supply nearby, and a clearing where I can see at least 1000 yards in all directions. This would make a good location for a zombie shelter/fort. With a door that can be barricaded, tall walls that can't be easily climbed. I can even dig deep in the clearing around the fort so that there is only way to approach it. This would allow me to more easily concentrate fire when being attacked by a horde.

I also can't man the fort alone. I need people ready to move there when the apocalypse hits. I can't keep watch day and night by myself. I need at least 10 people to keep a 24 hour watch and defend the fort.

So are you prepared? What is your plan for the apocalypse? How can we all better prepare ourselves?

EDIT: Another thing to consider is that, while a zombie apocalypse is the most likely scenario, do your plans help you with the robot apocalypse? Alien invasion? Velociraptor apocalypse?
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Gears
Bulletproof

Re: Are you prepared for the zombie apocalypse?

Postby Gears » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

Image This motherfucker right here.
Also this thread is nice.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

Now that's a big gun.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Rek

Postby Rek » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:49 pm UTC

If I happen to be disgustingly rich when I grow up sure I'll begin preparing.
1 customized armored truck w/ hole in roof for firing.
Selection of combat rifles and shotguns.
Copious amounts of food and water.
Group of friends/family who I know I can rely on to travel with me.
Words Win Wars

Baldur

Postby Baldur » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:31 pm UTC

Yeah, my plan is to collect a small supply of canned goods, camping gear and water. Basic survival things that are easy to carry, really. I shall then hide out and live in the countryside - where there would be little to no people, there will be little to no zombies. I'd prefer to avoid the zombies and survive, than even run the chance of fighting them.
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:13 am UTC

Omni.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:41 am UTC

I'm starting to think that this is about quantity of ammunition and not the power of the ammunition. In this case, 5.56x45 and 9mm seem to be the way to go. 9mm takes up the least space, 5.56x45 should weigh slightly less and give you longer range. Now, you probably want to be shooting that 9mm from a carbine (I would go with an RRA LAR-9 with a mid-length handguard and a 16" barrel) and not a handgun so you get higher velocities and better accuracy.

Those 12 ga shells aren't going to give you much range or allow you to carry much; the gun is going to be heavy as well (16 lbs fully loaded). You can do an AR-15 in 223 or 9mm for around 8lbs fully loaded (32 rds 9mm, 30 rds 5.56).

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:52 am UTC

9mm is worthless. If you use a pistol nothing smaller than a .45. Don't ever try and engage that mass group of zombies, run away instead. Short range weapons are all you need because you shouldn't be engaging zombies if you don't have to.
Also: NO FIRE
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:14 am UTC

Gears wrote:9mm is worthless. If you use a pistol nothing smaller than a .45. Don't ever try and engage that mass group of zombies, run away instead. Short range weapons are all you need because you shouldn't be engaging zombies if you don't have to.
Also: NO FIRE

9mm isn't as bad as they say. What it lacks in power it makes up for in carrying capacity; with a 16" barrel you will get much higher velocities as well, making it more powerful. .357 magnum, .357 sig, .40 s&w, and 10mm auto all give similar wounds to the .45 acp. 124 gr 9mm out of a 16" barrel will be about 50-100 fps shy of a .357 sig with the same 124gr bullet (with 9mm +p rounds, you will meet or exceed the velocity of a .357 sig) in a standard .357 sig handgun.

With zombies, you can't be certain you are going to be attacked by a few zombies at once. You always choose flight over fight if there is an opportunity, but if there are hordes of zombies after you, you want to start taking them out from as as soon as you determine flight isn't going to be an option.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:38 am UTC

Gears wrote:Image This motherfucker right here.
Also this thread is nice.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm not really a gun kind of guy, but the words "fully automatic shotgun" make every molecule of testosterone in my body go SQUEEE!
Come to daddy my sleek little engine of death.
The Cracked article had some good points about overall strategy.
The type of guns to use kind of depends on the user. Full auto is nice to have if you aren't the sort to visit the firing range regularly, but only if you have the self-controll to fire in aimed bursts rather than going rambo and hosing down the mob with shots that are mostly wasted.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:45 am UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:Full auto is nice to have if you aren't the sort to visit the firing range regularly, but only if you have the self-controll to fire in aimed bursts rather than going rambo and hosing down the mob with shots that are mostly wasted.

Personally, and don't take this as canon, I feel full auto is only good for suppressive fire. If you can't hit what you are trying to shoot with semi-auto, you are not going to be able to hit it when firing in bursts. In terms of a rifle, I think anyone can be trained to easily hit targets out to 100 yards in a fairly short amount of time. Within 50 yards, as long as the sights are adjusted properly, it becomes trivial.

New User

Postby New User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:49 am UTC

Considering the large number of geeks on this forum, there sure is an unhealthy preoccupation with zombies. Does everyone not realize that a war against machines is a much more realistic scenario? It seems a bit similar topic so I'd rather not start a new thread on that, but let's face it: zombies are most likely not going to invade, ever. Machines, however, just might become a threat in my lifetime.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:18 am UTC

New User wrote:Considering the large number of geeks on this forum, there sure is an unhealthy preoccupation with zombies. Does everyone not realize that a war against machines is a much more realistic scenario? It seems a bit similar topic so I'd rather not start a new thread on that, but let's face it: zombies are most likely not going to invade, ever. Machines, however, just might become a threat in my lifetime.

I find it fairly unlikely that we will see a robot apocalypse in the near future; the zombie apocalypse is much more likely. There are no robots being manufactured that are capable of an uprising, and we have no way to prepare until we see what the possible future enemy will look like. I think the zombie apocalypse is the most likely, with the second most likely being alien invasion. Unfortunately, much like the robot uprising, we have no way of knowing what weapons and defenses the invaders will have and we have no way to prepare against them.

Prepare for what we can foresee, adapt to what we didn't.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:05 am UTC

There's a significant chance of superhuman AIs popping up, but we'll likely integrate into one society, and merge in time. I don't think there's danger of a machine war.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

New User

Postby New User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:10 am UTC

Thesh wrote:
New User wrote:Considering the large number of geeks on this forum, there sure is an unhealthy preoccupation with zombies. Does everyone not realize that a war against machines is a much more realistic scenario? It seems a bit similar topic so I'd rather not start a new thread on that, but let's face it: zombies are most likely not going to invade, ever. Machines, however, just might become a threat in my lifetime.

I find it fairly unlikely that we will see a robot apocalypse in the near future; the zombie apocalypse is much more likely. There are no robots being manufactured that are capable of an uprising, and we have no way to prepare until we see what the possible future enemy will look like. I think the zombie apocalypse is the most likely, with the second most likely being alien invasion. Unfortunately, much like the robot uprising, we have no way of knowing what weapons and defenses the invaders will have and we have no way to prepare against them.

That last statement seems to contradict the previous statements. How do you foresee a zombie invasion? By what mechanism is it at all likely to happen? Advancements in artificial intelligence and robotics are happening even now, and yet zombies remain an element of pure fiction. Also, I can predict the weapons the robots will use: biological weapons, since we'll be the only ones susceptible. I'll prepare for what I can foresee by preparing for robots, since I surely don't see zombies happening, ever.

frogman

Postby frogman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:20 am UTC

I am pretty sure the charter school I attend for half the day was designed with a zombie apocalypse in mind. It's a tall concrete building surrounded by a flat fielded area. It's near a major public transit system, for access at the beginning of said apocalypse. All of the entrances have two layers of doors. As for the personnel part, they would be immediately staffed with trained medical professionals and manufacturing engineers. It's where I'm headed the moment the disaster strikes.
yeah yeah yeah

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:50 am UTC

New User wrote:
Thesh wrote:

That last statement seems to contradict the previous statements. How do you foresee a zombie invasion? By what mechanism is it at all likely to happen? Advancements in artificial intelligence and robotics are happening even now, and yet zombies remain an element of pure fiction. Also, I can predict the weapons the robots will use: biological weapons, since we'll be the only ones susceptible. I'll prepare for what I can foresee by preparing for robots, since I surely don't see zombies happening, ever.

Zombies will most likely come from a virus; take rabies as an example. While rabies doesn't create zombies, it is pretty nasty and seriously affects your behavior. There is an article from a scientific journal here that will list the other ways. Also, a less likely but still possible zombifier is brain worms. See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWB_COSUXMw

Also, I don't see how the last piece is a contradiction. Zombies are a real threat that can come at any time, robots are a long ways off.

Kang

Postby Kang » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:49 pm UTC

frogman wrote:I am pretty sure the charter school I attend for half the day was designed with a zombie apocalypse in mind. It's a tall concrete building surrounded by a flat fielded area. It's near a major public transit system, for access at the beginning of said apocalypse. All of the entrances have two layers of doors. As for the personnel part, they would be immediately staffed with trained medical professionals and manufacturing engineers. It's where I'm headed the moment the disaster strikes.

Are you sure they weren't thinking about student uprisings?

Anyway, I already mentioned in another thread that, if I had the means, my plan would be a zeppelin I'd slowly turn into a soaring little town. I'm certain that's technically feasable. But considering that it's unlikely I'll be having a prepared zeppelin ready on the morning my dead relatives try to eat me, my plan is simply to get killed. I'd give it a try with the ol' axe lying in the basement, but I doubt I'd hold on to it for long. Unfortunately where I live obtaining a firearm is difficult, something more useful than a sport rifle probably impossible, unless of course you are a psychopathic maniac who likes shooting people in his old school, those guys for some reason always have easy access to guns.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:28 pm UTC

Kang wrote:
frogman wrote:I am pretty sure the charter school I attend for half the day was designed with a zombie apocalypse in mind. It's a tall concrete building surrounded by a flat fielded area. It's near a major public transit system, for access at the beginning of said apocalypse. All of the entrances have two layers of doors. As for the personnel part, they would be immediately staffed with trained medical professionals and manufacturing engineers. It's where I'm headed the moment the disaster strikes.

Are you sure they weren't thinking about student uprisings?

Anyway, I already mentioned in another thread that, if I had the means, my plan would be a zeppelin I'd slowly turn into a soaring little town. I'm certain that's technically feasable. But considering that it's unlikely I'll be having a prepared zeppelin ready on the morning my dead relatives try to eat me, my plan is simply to get killed. I'd give it a try with the ol' axe lying in the basement, but I doubt I'd hold on to it for long. Unfortunately where I live obtaining a firearm is difficult, something more useful than a sport rifle probably impossible, unless of course you are a psychopathic maniac who likes shooting people in his old school, those guys for some reason always have easy access to guns.

Is there an army where you live? If there is, how good is the security on the bases? What about the police stations? Know anyone with connections to the criminal underworld?

TheNorm05

Postby TheNorm05 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:29 am UTC

I'm Texan, so Zombie apocalypses don't scare me since everyone and their mom owns a gun. If zombies do start invading human cities, I'd be much more afraid of the crazy assholes with guns than the zombies. Nevertheless, I do have a very general escape plan involving a boat. To put it simply, oil rigs are amazing hiding spots: isolated in the ocean and difficult to get to, they have plenty of every kind of supply I could ever need to live(including communication equipment and some fair amount of fuel)... Other than that, a trek into the mountains with normal hiking gear and a rifle or two for hunting could fair well, since zombies are likely not very well coordinated and would likely stumble before ever reaching me.

The cool part would be that aside from the obvious epidemic at hand, communicable disease transmission rates would be at an all time low, since minimal contact with people would create few opportunities to catch a sinus infection from someone, at least not without becoming a zombie =P.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:04 pm UTC

TheNorm05 wrote:If zombies do start invading human cities, I'd be much more afraid of the crazy assholes with guns than the zombies.

Look, I may be crazy, I may be an asshole, and I may have guns, but... Uhh... What was I saying?

TheNorm05

Postby TheNorm05 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:12 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:
TheNorm05 wrote:If zombies do start invading human cities, I'd be much more afraid of the crazy assholes with guns than the zombies.

Look, I may be crazy, I may be an asshole, and I may have guns, but... Uhh... What was I saying?

Well, just in general, it's the things you can't really plan for that'll get you. Zombies aren't deadly by virtue of their cunning, rather they are very simple and even predictable. However when you put a bunch of crazy assholes with guns in a high stress situation, you should expect the unexpected. Just my luck Texans would turn the Zombie apocalypse into a reason to hunt zombies and start shooting Mexicans too while they're at it. Not to mention all the worst elements of society would have free reign to do as they pleased. I figure people are more dangerous.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:25 pm UTC

TheNorm05 wrote:
Thesh wrote:

Well, just in general, it's the things you can't really plan for that'll get you. Zombies aren't deadly by virtue of their cunning, rather they are very simple and even predictable. However when you put a bunch of crazy assholes with guns in a high stress situation, you should expect the unexpected. Just my luck Texans would turn the Zombie apocalypse into a reason to hunt zombies and start shooting Mexicans too while they're at it. Not to mention all the worst elements of society would have free reign to do as they pleased. I figure people are more dangerous.

It's definitely a possibility I haven't considered. I live in california, which has more gun owners than you would think, but still not as many as the more conservative states in the country. However, I am planning on eventually moving to (northern/central) nevada and getting a nice place with no neighbors within shouting distance. That would be a nice place to hold off zombies. That all assumes I can actually find work in a less populated part of nevada, or be in a situation where I don't have to worry about work.

Kang

Postby Kang » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:06 pm UTC

TheNorm05 wrote:To put it simply, oil rigs are amazing hiding spots: isolated in the ocean and difficult to get to, they have plenty of every kind of supply I could ever need to live(including communication equipment and some fair amount of fuel)...

I might stop by with that zeppelin of mine.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:59 pm UTC

Kang wrote:
TheNorm05 wrote:To put it simply, oil rigs are amazing hiding spots: isolated in the ocean and difficult to get to, they have plenty of every kind of supply I could ever need to live(including communication equipment and some fair amount of fuel)...

I might stop by with that zeppelin of mine.

I'm coming in on my awsome Boat...

...that I stole from the port...

...From the Prime Minister.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

For zombie hunting:
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:
Gears wrote:Image This motherfucker right here.

the words "fully automatic shotgun" make every molecule of testosterone in my body go SQUEEE!

Nothing to add, but: "Squee" isn't the noise I'd expect molecules of testosterone to make.

Return to “General”