Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

t-note

Re: Doctor Who

Postby t-note » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:10 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:On the story arc(s) and the finale:
Spoiler:
It's actually kind of funny that shortly into watching "The Pandorica Opens" I had the idea that it would be good for the writers to drop "arc words" or other hints for a future story arc, rather than just thinking one season at a time. So I'm surprised and delighted that while all the "cracks in space and time" and "TARDIS exploding" and "Pandorica opening" stuff was dealt with, there's still the question of who was reponsible for it, along with "silence will fall" and River Song killing "the best man I ever knew".

I kinda-sorta-not-really guessed what the Pandorica was for, in the sense that when they were talking about the "most powerful, most feared being in the universe" I wondered what could possibly be worse than the Doctor, and wondered if there was some wordplay going on like the great line from the Angels episodes of the one thing you don't want to put in a trap.

Spoiler:
My theory on the whole river song killing "the best man I ever knew" hints is this- She is the one who kills the doctor in the end. He becomes corrupted by something while being both inside the Pandorica and outside it, and she is left with no choice but to kill him before he finally destroys the universe.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

Regarding the season as a whole, I thought it was pretty good.

My major complaint is that Amy comes off very flat. It becomes readily apparent that Stephen Moffat doesn't give much of a shit about character development or consistency, and Amy (and Rory to a lesser extent) just sort of change around, much like the setting, to let the Doctor go have an adventure.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

beyondweird

Postby beyondweird » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:02 pm UTC

thatguy wrote:Regarding the season as a whole, I thought it was pretty good.

My major complaint is that Amy comes off very flat. It becomes readily apparent that Stephen Moffat doesn't give much of a shit about character development or consistency, and Amy (and Rory to a lesser extent) just sort of change around, much like the setting, to let the Doctor go have an adventure.

Really? I found the opposite. Well, with Amy. Rory only really got some development in the last couple of episodes (but what little they gave him was at least so adorable!), but I quite liked Amy. I thought he'd written the character as fairly child-like in some ways - always curious, impulsive, and wanting to impress, and that to me fitted the whole fairytale thing.

Saying that, if she doesn't grow up a bit in the next series I'll be disappointed.
Everybody has a secret world inside of them...No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:48 pm UTC

Spoiler'd response for discussing episode details.
Spoiler:
She somehow knows the Doctor is "very very old and very very kind," when he has shown nothing but the opposite so far: leaving her for 15 years, then another 2, with the promise of "BRB LALZ"

Then, she jumps the Doctor, without any prior buildup alá Martha Jones, purely as a plot device to bring Rory into the adventures. But she still treats him like shit, even after he "dies" and she's devastated in that dream episode.

Not to mention how she flits between being clever and stupid purely as the story calls for it.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:42 pm UTC

Spoilers for Eleventh Hour and Big Bang:
Spoiler:
I hope that they do some more about Rory, especially the bit about him being a Nurse. I know that was probably a "he's not quite a Doctor" thing to explain Rory and Amy's relationship, but male nurses (and nurses in general) are badass. They have a huge amount of knowledge about anatomy and helping people and figuring out what's wrong. It would be awesome if that was part of Rory's character. Like, they hear someone scream, someone is on the ground, and something is running away. It should be Rory's immediate response to help the injured party while the Doctor and Amy go running away to catch the baddie. He could start either studying up on alien anatomy in the library (or the swimming pool) or just pick it up as he goes along. He's probably already an expert at Autons.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:25 pm UTC

Teensy question regarding The Big Bang:
Spoiler:
Was there even a throwaway line explaining how the Pandorica was suddenly able to fly?
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:25 pm UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:Teensy question regarding The Big Bang:
Spoiler:
Was there even a throwaway line explaining how the Pandorica was suddenly able to fly?

Spoiler:
He hooked it up to the vortex manipulator thing. If it can move an object through time, you can be sure it'll move an object through space. Perhaps it was a long series of very small teleports to make it look like flying?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:40 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
michaelandjimi wrote:Teensy question regarding The Big Bang:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
He hooked it up to the vortex manipulator thing. If it can move an object through time, you can be sure it'll move an object through space. Perhaps it was a long series of very small teleports to make it look like flying?

Spoiler:
Yeah, that seems logical. We've seen the Doctor's reaction to traveling with them. He may have preferred jumping through space. Also, if the idea was supposed to be that it was Jack's Vortex Manipulator (which is what I thought, with the "handsome young Time Agent" and the fact that they probably wouldn't wantonly cut off anyone else's hand), then how is he going to get it back? Or is River just going to keep it? That would be cool to see, him stuck for the first time in millennia without transport.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
-Sexy

Persephonethinx

Postby Persephonethinx » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:29 pm UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, if the idea was supposed to be that it was Jack's Vortex Manipulator (which is what I thought, with the "handsome young Time Agent" and the fact that they probably wouldn't wantonly cut off anyone else's hand)

Spoiler:
or they would just cut off someone's hand because they're the Mafia IN SPACE!
"The Universe is big and it's vast and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles..." -The Eleventh Doctor

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:49 am UTC

Spoiler:
There were supposedly many time agents with the vortex manipulators, it wasn't 100% certainly Jack's (in fact probably not seeing as Jack will be back in a new Torchwood series next year)

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:27 am UTC

Random thought: watching old William Hartnell episodes, with Every Star Every Planet playing in the background, is incredibly hilarious.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:34 am UTC

keozen wrote:
Spoiler:
There were supposedly many time agents with the vortex manipulators, it wasn't 100% certainly Jack's (in fact probably not seeing as Jack will be back in a new Torchwood series next year)
Spoiler:
Unless it's a way of setting up something keeping him tied to the Torchwood organisation. He'd grow the hand back anyway.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:28 am UTC

My friends and I agree that the BBC should market Doctor Who condoms that are bigger on the inside. :mrgreen: The outside just looks like a normal condom, but the interior is a fully functioning TARDIS. (You'd have to be careful during sex, though... you might accidentally hit a button and send your cock to the 15th century without you.)

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:32 am UTC

The Fez seems to be getting around...

Spoiler:

Link

Postby Link » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:56 am UTC

So, according to John Barrowman, filming for Torchwood series 4 will start in January 2011, and the series itself is expected in the summer of 2011. I hope the partial Americanisation doesn't destroy the familiar Torchwood feeling. I'm quite excited, though!

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:19 pm UTC

Link wrote:So, according to John Barrowman, filming for Torchwood series 4 will start in January 2011, and the series itself is expected in the summer of 2011. I hope the partial Americanisation doesn't destroy the familiar Torchwood feeling. I'm quite excited, though!

TW S3 spoilers
Spoiler:
Well since the Torchwood hub blew up last season I think it is going to be a big change. I heard somewhere (possibly here) that they will be a traveling TW.

Edited in:
Does anyone know if they have finished filming the christmas special? I am hoping they will do a trailer at comicon or something. (not going but that'll get online sometime.)
If it is about
Spoiler:
a mummy on the orient express (I think thats what he said), what are the odds it'll involve agatha christie again. Probably not, but I really liked the feel of her episode so...
Last edited by sugarhyped on Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

Copper thieves tried to steal a statue near a grave in my town, called 'De Wenende Engel'. That translates to The Weeping Angel. The copper was found, lying on the ground, the thieves were nowhere to be found. I guess they blinked... :twisted:

EDIT
The statue in question
Last edited by ArgonV on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:34 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:Copper thieves tried to steal a statue near a grave in my town, called 'De Wenende Engel'. That translates to The Weeping Angel. The copper was found, lying on the ground, the thieves were nowhere to be found. I guess they blinked... :twisted:

That's ... terrifying.

TW4 Speculation:
Spoiler:
I always assumed that every British Colony/Commonwealth country had a Torchwood, and the books seemed to run with that idea. 1 in England, 2 in Scotland, 3 in Wales( 4 in Ireland?). There was a book where they went to the Indian Torchwood, I think I read about somewhere. (But then again, there was also a book where Ianto came out at having always been bisexual, and CoE overturned that.) So it stands to reason that there would be a literal American Torchwood.

So, are they filming it in Cardiff, or somewhere in America/Canada? Because if they're filming in Wales, then America is probably just going to fund (and try to insert random crap), but the story will probably be about rebuilding. If it's in America, maybe everyone is acting as consultants? Or they're going to pretend some American cities and towns will be Wales?

I don't know. It'd be hilarious if they took the Welsh Torchwood, had an American company produce it, then had it filmed and set in Canada.
-Sexy

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:09 pm UTC

And I just thought of a merit-less theory in the shower.

The 9th Doctor was a bit like Jeremy Clarkson. Pragmatic and loud.
The 10th Doctor was like Richard Hammond. Energetic and somewhat arrogant.
The 11th Doctor is sophisticated, awkward, sciency and usually sure he's the only one that knows the proper answer. Like James May.
So the 12th doctor will be mute, wearing a helmet and have strange habits and anatomy.

beyondweird

Postby beyondweird » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:25 pm UTC

sugarhyped wrote:Does anyone know if they have finished filming the christmas special? I am hoping they will do a trailer at comicon or something. (not going but that'll get online sometime.)
If it is about
Spoiler:
a mummy on the orient express (I think thats what he said), what are the odds it'll involve agatha christie again. Probably not, but I really liked the feel of her episode so...

All I've heard about it so far is:
Spoiler:
That Katherine Jenkins and Michael Gambon are in it, and that it's based around Amy and Rory's honeymoon
Everybody has a secret world inside of them...No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:13 pm UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:
ArgonV wrote:Copper thieves tried to steal a statue near a grave in my town, called 'De Wenende Engel'. That translates to The Weeping Angel. The copper was found, lying on the ground, the thieves were nowhere to be found. I guess they blinked... :twisted:

That's ... terrifying.

TW4 Speculation:
Spoiler:
I always assumed that every British Colony/Commonwealth country had a Torchwood, and the books seemed to run with that idea. 1 in England, 2 in Scotland, 3 in Wales( 4 in Ireland?). There was a book where they went to the Indian Torchwood, I think I read about somewhere. (But then again, there was also a book where Ianto came out at having always been bisexual, and CoE overturned that.) So it stands to reason that there would be a literal American Torchwood.

So, are they filming it in Cardiff, or somewhere in America/Canada? Because if they're filming in Wales, then America is probably just going to fund (and try to insert random crap), but the story will probably be about rebuilding. If it's in America, maybe everyone is acting as consultants? Or they're going to pretend some American cities and towns will be Wales?

I don't know. It'd be hilarious if they took the Welsh Torchwood, had an American company produce it, then had it filmed and set in Canada.

If it got filmed in Canada, chances are that means it would be filmed in Toronto, which is very close to me...I like this idea :D
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:31 pm UTC

beyondweird wrote:
sugarhyped wrote:Does anyone know if they have finished filming the christmas special? I am hoping they will do a trailer at comicon or something. (not going but that'll get online sometime.)
If it is about
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
That Katherine Jenkins and Michael Gambon are in it, and that it's based around Amy and Rory's honeymoon

I've heard one more thing than that, which is that it's going to be based around "A Christmas Carol". We've already had Dickens show up, so maybe it will be a more modern version?
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:51 am UTC

ConMan wrote:
beyondweird wrote:
If it is about
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I've heard one more thing than that, which is that it's going to be based around "A Christmas Carol". We've already had Dickens show up, so maybe it will be a more modern version?

So either the Doctor goes "Bah-humbug", or a Dalek goes "BAH-HUMBUG" in a rather epic and robotic manner?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:32 am UTC

beyondweird wrote:
If it is about
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

At first I wasn't giving ArgonV's theory much thought, but this is the fourth top gear connection...
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:43 am UTC

I really hope this isn't a hoax. :shock:
Spoiler:

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:04 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I really hope this isn't a hoax. :shock:
Spoiler:

Eh..
Spoiler:
Uncredited though... All the doctors technically appeared in the 11th hour.
actually going toimdbit is in a different format. For the 11th hour it says archive footage.
So yay?
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:19 am UTC

Why wasn't Brian Blessed circled? Brian Bloody Blessed! I so hope he gets the line "The Doctor's ALIVE!"
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

beyondweird

Postby beyondweird » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:58 am UTC

Whelan wrote:Why wasn't Brian Blessed circled? Brian Bloody Blessed! I so hope he gets the line "The Doctor's ALIVE!"

OHMYGOSHHOWDIDINOTNOTICETHAT

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:09 am UTC

Grr, I accidentally deleted this post. Anyway . . .

I just got back from watching Vampires through Big Bang with a bunch of friends. And once again, while watching Big Bang, I was struck at the amazing colors composing the scene when
Spoiler:
The Doctor is strapped into the Pandorica.

The brilliant, glowing red of Amy and Rory. All of the lighting on them is red, and with Amy's hair and gloves it's just the most brilliant red I've seen.

River Song is bathed in gold, her hair haloing around her face in gold, and the light from the exploding TARDIS is turning her white clothing golden.

The Doctor is covered completely in teal, the same teal that came from the old TARDIS console, and it's completely saturating him, even though in previous scenes the light coming out of the Pandorica was bright white.

I just absolutely loved the colors in that scene, and how they made sense -- the blue color for the alien, the red for the humans, and the gold for the undefined. It reminds me very strongly about the first scene I ever saw of Doctor Who (I had no context, and only remembered the scene after Persephone got me hooked, so I managed not to be spoilered). The scene is question is the last scene of Doomsday. The Doctor just lost connection with Rose, and he is lit from in front by the TARDIS console's teal light, looking utterly broken. Then all of a sudden, Donna appears, and she's brilliantly red from her hair and temper. The golden color of the the then-TARDIS is surrounding them. That's probably why I remember that scene from Big Bang so well, because it resonates with my first ever memory of this fandom. I don't know whether the color choices were conscious, but I kind of hope they are, because I would love them to be used thematically for the rest of the series.
-Sexy

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:27 am UTC

To all those theorising the Christmas special...

Spoiler:
Orient Express in space, like the Titanic in space, so don't expect to see any historical figures...

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:21 pm UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:Grr, I accidentally deleted this post. Anyway . . .

I just got back from watching Vampires through Big Bang with a bunch of friends. And once again, while watching Big Bang, I was struck at the amazing colors composing the scene when
Spoiler:

The brilliant, glowing red of Amy and Rory. All of the lighting on them is red, and with Amy's hair and gloves it's just the most brilliant red I've seen.

River Song is bathed in gold, her hair haloing around her face in gold, and the light from the exploding TARDIS is turning her white clothing golden.

The Doctor is covered completely in teal, the same teal that came from the old TARDIS console, and it's completely saturating him, even though in previous scenes the light coming out of the Pandorica was bright white.

I just absolutely loved the colors in that scene, and how they made sense -- the blue color for the alien, the red for the humans, and the gold for the undefined. It reminds me very strongly about the first scene I ever saw of Doctor Who (I had no context, and only remembered the scene after Persephone got me hooked, so I managed not to be spoilered). The scene is question is the last scene of Doomsday. The Doctor just lost connection with Rose, and he is lit from in front by the TARDIS console's teal light, looking utterly broken. Then all of a sudden, Donna appears, and she's brilliantly red from her hair and temper. The golden color of the the then-TARDIS is surrounding them. That's probably why I remember that scene from Big Bang so well, because it resonates with my first ever memory of this fandom. I don't know whether the color choices were conscious, but I kind of hope they are, because I would love them to be used thematically for the rest of the series.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the colors.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Persephonethinx

Postby Persephonethinx » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:02 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
animeHrmIne wrote:Grr, I accidentally deleted this post. Anyway . . .

Spoiler:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the colors.

The TARDIS has all of those colors jumbled together, perhaps symbolizing how the TARDIS brings and holds the whole show together.
"The Universe is big and it's vast and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles..." -The Eleventh Doctor

Persephonethinx

Postby Persephonethinx » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:17 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Brian Blessed as OMEGA?!? and ADRIC'S GHOST!?!
I haven't decided whether this could be awesome or horribly lame.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

Persephonethinx wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I see what you mean.

Omega -> Awesome
Adric -> Kill it with fire
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:01 am UTC

I don't know if this has been brought up, but if it's true I'm going to be very upset.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:20 am UTC

Cytoplasm wrote:I don't know if this has been brought up, but if it's true I'm going to be very upset.

One of the commments on that links to this.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:34 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Persephonethinx wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I see what you mean.

Omega -> Awesome

I have been informed by my sources that this cast list is a hoax, as the christmas special will be S5EX, rather than S6E0. Also, we're on season 33, or series 6, because of the old Who using seasons and the new one series.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:47 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:
Persephonethinx wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I see what you mean.

Omega -> Awesome

I have been informed by my sources that this cast list is a hoax, as the christmas special will be S5EX, rather than S6E0. Also, we're on season 33, or series 6, because of the old Who using seasons and the new one series.

Also, the presence of Kroll seems really odd.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:I have been informed by my sources that this cast list is a hoax, as the christmas special will be S5EX, rather than S6E0. Also, we're on season 33, or series 6, because of the old Who using seasons and the new one series.

We've just finished season 31, and are starting season 32, I'm pretty sure. The specials were more season 30b than their own season. (Of course, I could be counting wrong. But I have been counting this way since starting the show. MY WHOLE LIFE IS A LIE!!!) *Ahem* It is, however, series 6. OR series 2 if you ask the Moff.

... Doctor Who is as good at numbers as it is at science ...
-Sexy

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:54 pm UTC

You're probably, (Read: are) right. I couldn't remember the exact number of seasons. Although there's some controversy about it anyway so...
Weeks wrote:

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”