How many of you view exercise as a chore?

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Is exersise a chore to you?

Yes exersise is a chore
30%
No exersise is not a chore
21%
Maybe exersise is a chore
15%
I Don't Know if exersise is a chore
1%
Can You Repeat That Question about exersise being a chore?
3%
Yes I am obsessed
5%
No I'm not obsessed
13%
Maybe exersise I'm obsessed
2%
I Don't Know if I'm obsessed
1%
Can You Repeat That Question about being obsessed?
8%

Total votes: 151

TheKrikkitWars

How many of you view exercise as a chore?

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:01 am UTC

I'm just curious as to how many of you religiously attend the gym or go for a morning run etc. motivated not by that mildly masochistic desire to have burning muscles and a shiteating grin at the end of it, but by the desire to change something about themselves, viewing the exercise purely as a means to achieveing a personally desirable end.

In time honoured fashion, discuss.

Poll edited to reflect later question. 02/08/2010
Last edited by TheKrikkitWars on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:08 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Lioness

Re: How many of you view exercise as a chore?

Postby Lioness » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:57 am UTC

It depends on how cold it is. If it's freezing outside, it's definitely a chore. Even though I go to a gym, just getting out of my house and into the car sucks :(
If it's nice weather, then it's not too much of a chore at all. I enjoy my gym classes.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:20 am UTC

I have congenital short achilles tendons; walking hurts and I run funny. I got made fun of as a kid for how I ran and thus exercise was always a negative to me. Now I am overweight and unfit. This makes me even more self conscious and also makes exercise harder to do, physically and in terms of motivation.

All of this culminates in a very negative attitude towards the whole thing. I do it because I am insecure and would like to be a little less overweight (but not as often or regularly as I should).
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

For me it depends entirely on the sort of excercise. Are we hiking up a mountain and having a picnic on the top? That counts as recreation, not a chore.
Am I going to the gym and running? Because it's really hard to make myself do that. Definitely a chore.

Unfortunately, it's really much *easier* to make a habit of something like the gym, which doesn't depend on the weather, or the availability of anyone else.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

bbq

Postby bbq » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:44 pm UTC

Hell no.

I really enjoy lifting weights.
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

Bright Shadows

Postby Bright Shadows » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:43 am UTC

I just want to run. A lot. Sometimes not running is a chore, honestly.

It's not that I like the burn or the sweat or anything about running particularly, but that I have a desire that flares up sometimes to go pound some pavement. If I don't follow it, I feel... restless. That's a good word for it, I guess. My legs tell me I haven't been running. Incessantly. Even if they're tired or hurting I'll get that feeling sometimes.

TheNegotiator

Postby TheNegotiator » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:11 pm UTC

Bright Shadows wrote:I just want to run. A lot. Sometimes not running is a chore, honestly.

It's not that I like the burn or the sweat or anything about running particularly, but that I have a desire that flares up sometimes to go pound some pavement. If I don't follow it, I feel... restless. That's a good word for it, I guess. My legs tell me I haven't been running. Incessantly. Even if they're tired or hurting I'll get that feeling sometimes.

QFT. I run almost every day, with the occasional rest day and whatnot, because I'm training for the Marines. Some days, the last thing I want to do is run, and it's a conscious act of will to get myself out the door. Especially when it's blazing hot out. But some days, especially after a rest day or something, I get this massive desire to go run a really long way. Those days, I can easy do an extra mile or two without any trouble at all. Those are the days I look forward to. I wish I knew how to make them occur more often, because as far as I can tell they're random.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:40 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:For me it depends entirely on the sort of excercise. Are we hiking up a mountain and having a picnic on the top? That counts as recreation, not a chore.
Am I going to the gym and running? Because it's really hard to make myself do that. Definitely a chore.

Unfortunately, it's really much *easier* to make a habit of something like the gym, which doesn't depend on the weather, or the availability of anyone else.

This is me, however I have a few workrounds to the not making a habit of it; I cycle a minmum of a couple of miles every day over quite hilly terrain simply to get around, the beauty of this being it's functional, fun and fit all in one, secondly I've aquired a taste for a sport that suits every weather (Canoeing: Rain, Ice Climbing: Extreme Cold, Mountain Biking: most weathers especially long periods of warmth, Cyclocross: like MTB, but can deal with nastier muddy conditions and cross-train on the road when I don't have a partner to ride with), and finally I live & study with people who do some or all of these sports too which makes it much easier to get out when I want to.

I also go to the gym, I used to go with my ex-GF, but she only really used the cardio room, and I hated it, I spent the whole time just longing to get onto my bike and get going instead. Conversely I now go with my Male friends and/or my Female [slightlymorethana]friend for the purpose of using the freeweights only and I really enjoy weightlifting, I enjoy it even more if I can go for a swim and sauna to relax my muscles afterward :D.

Ivor Zozz

Postby Ivor Zozz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:29 pm UTC

Used to love it. Ever since I started having knee and lower back problems, it is a chore.
The Classical I call the healthy, the Romantic the sick. - Goethe

clumsy_culhane

Postby clumsy_culhane » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:39 am UTC

It depends. Sometimes I just love to rush outside and do a longish (10k) run. Other times I struggle to force myself to do anything at all. A lot of depends on the outside temperature, and how much schoolwork I have :P But usally, I love it, its usually only that initial step of getting outside that is the chore-ish part.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:52 am UTC

Depends on what you call "exercise". I play badminton 2 times a week and enjoy it because it offer short-term goals (i.e. win this match) as well as social interaction. Playing 2-3 hours is no problem, even when it's very hot like last night. But if I use my exercise bike that's up in my attic I have to force myself to be on it for more than 10-15 minutes. I tried playing music while on the thing, could even get a tv up there but I don't think that would make much of a difference. I'm considering going out for bike rides to get some extra exercise in (unfortunately we have a 6-week break at badminton), but I'd have to get myself a decent bike first.
Quack!

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:09 am UTC

I used to- that's why I've never really stuck at exercise for hugely long periods in my life. But just recently I've come to enjoy crossfit immensely. It's a great comfort for those times when I can't sleep at 4 AM. I grab my dumbells, run over to the park and get going. The goal makes an excellent pullup bar, my medicine ball is a dumbell stuffed inside a sleeping bag stuffed inside a rucksack, etc. And magically, when I'm finished, I can get an hour or two's sleep before going to work. It's great!
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

savanik

Postby savanik » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:46 pm UTC

I don't really view it as a 'chore' so much as a 'project'. I pick up hobbies like I'm collecting buttons. One of my latest is to see just how fit I can get, overall.

I haven't lost any weight (would love to drop some of this belly fat) but my upper body strength is better than its ever been. Oh, and I haven't gained any weight, either, so I'm sure I'm losing some fat somewhere in order to gain muscle mass...

I go to the gym most days right after work, probably about 4 times a week at this point. In some ways it's less chore and more habit at this point, been going since about November, so... enh? :)

Sav
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

supermario

Postby supermario » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:35 am UTC

When I was doing a fitness program (which I'm still considering continuing at some point...), exercise definitely felt like a chore, although the results were rewarding enough. Now, I run simply for the pleasure of it. Going outside and getting some sun gives me some time to just empty my mind.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:49 am UTC

chore. I have a health club membership but I don't go as much as I "should." I don't place the same value on physical fitness that society at large seems to. I like to eat, smoke weed, and play computer games. I like that my boyfriend likes to do all of these things with me, as well as cooking like a fiend (we share hedonistic tendencies and he's the best cook I ever met). We're both clinically obese and both very happy with each other.

yeah, it would probably make a couple sex positions easier if one or both of us had a smaller belly. But I see this as a small opportunity cost to pay for being otherwise very happy and lazy. Plus we get creative with other positions so honestly, it's a very minor issue.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:57 pm UTC

Definitely a chore - I really don't enjoy exercise done for the sake of exercise (some sports can be quite fun though), but the only time that I actually get exercise is when I go to the gym, my schedule is too random for any sports.

meatyochre, personally the wish to stay fit is not because society places value in it. But I feel much better physically when I'm not completely out of shape - not to mention how much easier my everyday life is - it really is annoying to be out of breath after walking from my own office to my advisor's.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:12 pm UTC

I actually enjoy most aspects of the gym. That's not to say I don't most look forward to the steam room or the enormous meal and relaxing few hours of TV I grant myself after, but it's one big challenge with one big reward, so it's pretty easy to see the cost/benefit for every activity I do.
I think I respond fairly quickly to gym activity or lack of activity. Two to three weeks tops.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

Ulc wrote:meatyochre, personally the wish to stay fit is not because society places value in it. But I feel much better physically when I'm not completely out of shape - not to mention how much easier my everyday life is - it really is annoying to be out of breath after walking from my own office to my advisor's.

I'm happy for you! But I don't aspire to a fit ideal for any purpose. I don't mind dying in my 60s if my life was full and happy before that.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:49 pm UTC

meatyochre wrote:I'm happy for you! But I don't aspire to a fit ideal for any purpose. I don't mind dying in my 60s if my life was full and happy before that.

I completely agree, better to live well and die a bit before. which might just explain the amount of cream that gets used when my roommate or I cook.

But personally I find that I enjoy life more when I'm not completely out of shape. This is in no way meant to even imply that I was 'right' or anything, or that everyone should feel the same. It's merely a completely personal anecdote, that only applies to me.*

If you're happy with how you are, it's perfectly fine for me.

*And since this thread is asking for personal opinions I find it okay to post it ;)
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:47 pm UTC

Yep. I don't train for a longer life; I do it because it makes my life 'fuller and happier' now. It does more for my mental health than my physical health. And as Ulc said, it's perfectly OK for your mileage to vary.

Jof16's

Postby Jof16's » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:41 pm UTC

I don't. Well, not for the most part. I absolutely hate stairclimbers and treadmills with a passion. I prefer to hit some asphalt to a treadmill. It hurts my legs less and makes me feel a whole lot better. On the other hand I absolutely love kickboxing. I used to belong to a gym that had kickboxing classes, but had to quit because I got an after school job. I didn't get off until after the gym had closed. I still practice when I can. However, most of my practice is just shadow boxing. I recently bought a punching bag to help with my training, but have hit a snag. I had to have my wisdom teeth removed. I asked the doc, and he said no physical straining (i.e. boxing) for at least two weeks. :(

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:27 pm UTC

I suppose it depends on your attitude to chores as well- I used to like, e.g. feeding the chickens
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

Dale Raze

Postby Dale Raze » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

Sometimes exercise feels like a chore. But if I push through it I feel great :D . Self-discipline usually makes me feel pretty good about myself!

SiliEsseo

Postby SiliEsseo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

YES - unless you have a hot partner to motivate you. Then it's all worthwhile! Makes "spot me" a fun experience.

cspirou

Postby cspirou » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:36 pm UTC

It really depends. If you're talking about running or lifting weights then it's a chore. A long time ago I mainly kept in shape with sports which was always fun for me and I never worked out. I could play tennis for hours and even though I would get tired, it never really felt like it was a chore. I loved biking from place to place as a way to see things and never really thought of the physical aspect. Now that I'm older and I'm coming back to this stuff after a long break I'm prone to injury. So I tend to work out now to ease myself in and I freaking hate it. I mean I really don't see how someone doesn't consider lifting a dumbell a chore. If you actually like that then you should volunteer to help anyone move out of their apartment.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

Good question. I didn't really exercise at all for years (about 20) and slowly put on weight. I never got to obese but I was certainly entering the 'fat' range of the BMI scale. I started running because I'd got a dog who needs a lot of exercise (see right) and I've got a job where it may be helpful to be fit. Most importantly of all I realised that I was turning 40, heart disease runs in my family and I wanted to see my daughters grow up. Can I suggest to the 'live fast, die young' advocates above that you check your views on that when you hit middle age? :-)

So, I started cycling, then fencing, then running and finally kick-boxing. And I love it! I love the feeling when I get back to work after running 10k in the lunch hour - I can think straight. I love the kick boxing, although I'm too old to ever be much good. Still, I'm more self assured and able to face down punks in tricky situations. I like the smug feeling when I've run a half marathon. However, injury chnages everything. That's when it becomes a chore - when you feel you need to go out or you'll lose shape and fitness, although you know you are carrying an injury that you may make worse and that will take all the pleasure out of it. Ageing sucks (but it beats the alternative).
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:04 am UTC

I wonder different the results of this poll would be if it were posted in the general discussion forum rather than fit club, since I imagine that the population that frequents this forum is more interested in getting / staying fit than the general population. I, personally, absolutely consider exercise to be a chore. I don't think I've ever thought "gee I really feel like going to the gym right now." But I still go in my free time, because I know that that's how I can reach goals for myself. Right now, physical fitness is the only thing that's in danger of standing in the way of me having an awesome job and education, so I have to do whatever it takes to get there.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:48 am UTC

I do.
That's why I've never been able to keep up with it.
Currently I'm planning to restart in August. 274th time's the charm!
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:02 pm UTC

Of the people saying they enjoy exercise, How obsessive are you about your specific sport/sports?

Edit: I've just changed the Poll and lost the data :oops:

FWIW I'm pretty obsessive, and when I get the bit between my teeth I will really go at a sport to get good. It's how I've got good at Canoing, Cycling (MTB and now Cyclocross) and Ice (well scotish winter mixed) Climbing I've got a lot on, but should I get a chance I'd like to get good at telemark skiing too. Unfortunately it has completely overtaken my life: My Choice of Uni, Where I live, Choice of car, Lifestyle, even the romatic relationships* I have are/have been irevocablly influenced by the factors affecting those sports.

*It takes someone pretty fucking tolerent to deal with someone who lives in a room thats a grotto of equipment in various states of drying out, disappears every moment of time it rains, snows or they're otherwise unoccupied, wakes up early to check conditions, and is generally inconvenienced by arranging non-spontanious time together. So far the only long term relationships I've had have been with fellow devotees of an outdoor sport, not always the same one, which complicates things futher.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:24 pm UTC

I'm obsessed by ducks exercising otters.

Other than that I don't think I'm obsessive. However, I worry when I can't exercise, that:
a) I'll lose condition and will find it hard to get back into it
b) as I spent my childhood as 'the little fat boy' of the class I panic that I'll suddenly put on 5 stone
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Obby

Postby Obby » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:34 pm UTC

I can't stand exercising. I've tried to get started on a regular cardio schedule a few times, but I just can't get the motivation to overcome wanting to relax when I get home from work. It is much easier to get in some run/bike time when I'm in school, but I still have a hard time sticking with it. It is very much a chore for me.

I think it's mostly a chore, though, because I'm not fat. I'm certainly not fit (can't run for very long and my arms are incredibly weak), but I'm still relatively skinny and knowing this must put me in some kind of mental state that syas that I don't need to work out, even though I should just to help take care of my body.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

margomoh

Postby margomoh » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:50 am UTC

I do. I'm in ROTC and we have early morning PT twice a week and I hate it with a fiery passion. I'm the slowest runner in a group of fitness obsessed people and it's terrible. On the other hand, I have so much fun when I grab my best friends and head to the gym on the weekend. We try and outdo each other by coming up with the most tortuous exercises and the gym suddenly becomes a giant playground. I love sports like tennis, bicycling, and soccer, but I lack both the time and equipment to get involved.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:12 am UTC

I cycle to work, and enjoy it very much. It's nice in the morning not having to deal with public transport and people, I arrive at work awake, it costs nothing, and when I go home I can work out the stress of the day on the road. It's about 4 miles each way, and I ride 4-5 days a week, which is, on a full week's riding, 50 miles. That's a long way!

I also do yoga, which is very good for a deskbound person such as myself - good to strengthen everything evenly, and stretch it all out. I always enjoy the results, but unfortunately sometimes I view it as a chore. That's a shame.

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:09 pm UTC

Definitely a chore. I don't feel energized after working out- I just feel sore, sweaty, and annoyed. I live 2 1/2 miles away from work and a mile from the grocery store, so I work out as part of my commute. I walk fairly briskly to work and speed walk on the way home. Sometimes I will extend my walk by a few miles if the weather is nice and I'm not too tired.

I hope maybe one day after I've lost more weight that I will gain some enjoyment from running. I highly doubt it.

I *would* love to cycle, but after a childhood in the suburbs/exurbs, the idea of riding on city streets puts mortal terror in my heart. I would need to gain some confidence but perhaps I'll buy a bike in the spring.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:58 pm UTC

Honestly, it depends on everything about the exercise and the day. If it's 70 degrees out, a half-hour jog sounds way more appealing than indoor training. But drop it just 10 or 15 degrees, and I'll take curl-ups, push-ups and the plank over outdoor training.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:38 am UTC

I exercise because it's fun. If it wasn't fun I wouldn't do it. I currently train kickboxing and sometimes I go running. Kickboxing I enjoy because it's fun, also I kind of enjoy pain, and bruises is one of my favourite things. I run when I need to relax. I'm a poor runner, I've got really short legs and I'm a bit flat-footed so I stomp quite a bit when running. People make fun of my running style and for years I've been struggling with wear and tear damages on my knees and ankles. But it does help me relax, when I run I can shut off my mind and stop myself from thinking, which is something I enjoy. Exercise is not a chore for me and the day it becomes a chore or something I don't at any level enjoy, I will stop it.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

I hate exercising in general. Right now I'm working on the couch to 5K program, and if it wasn't for my roommate that I go to the gym with, I would never do it. I hardly ever feel good after a workout. I cannot fathom that feeling. But, heart issues and high blood pressure run in my family, so I know it's pretty much necessary for me.

However, I do enjoy some physical activities that I need to be a little more fit for before I can do them well. I love rock climbing, hiking, riding my bike, and some sports like badminton. However, I'm not very fit (although I'm not overweight, I just don't have any muscle or cardio) and in order to do those activities well, I really should do some weight training and running.

Maybe I should just say screw it and do the things I like badly.

fizzgig

Postby fizzgig » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:57 am UTC

I used to not like exercising. Then I took up mountain biking, which was fun, but I didn't do it enough to gain much fitness from it, and my lack of fitness was holding me back. So I started riding my mountain bike on the roads to get in some extra riding time. Then I bought a road bike (because riding a mountain bike on the road pretty much sucks). Then I couldn't go mountain biking for a while because it was raining incessantly and all the trails got wrecked. So I went running so I wouldn't lose too much fitness.

And somewhere along the way I just became one of those people who do exercise for fun. I must admit though that I've never been a member of a gym. Running on a treadmill or riding an exercise bike is definitely a chore for me.

caje

Postby caje » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:35 pm UTC

Before I actually get to the gym I often don't want to go but after the first set or two I'm into it.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

I must make an addendum to my previous post: I pretty much do all of my cardiovascular exercise indoors, and it is most definitely not a chore. This happened after I entered the electronic dance scene. I highly recommend it if you're into electronic music at all, it gets addictive once you've got the basics down. I've never had to suppress urges to get up and dance wildly before, but now I do because it makes me all sweaty and I have to shower after every time, and my water bill/free time would increase/decrease by ridiculous amounts.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Return to “Fit Club”