What's a college student to do over the summer?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

LSK

What's a college student to do over the summer?

Postby LSK » Sat May 15, 2010 3:54 pm UTC

I just finished my first year at a good public university in the Midwest. Unfortunately, my summer research plans fell through, and I'm not sure how to spend my summer. Taking courses won't help - I transferred 30 credits in when I started because I cross-enrolled in college classes when I was in high school, and all my remaining courses need to be towards my major. So, I'm not sure what to do.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Re: What's a college student to do over the summer?

Postby Hawknc » Sat May 15, 2010 4:08 pm UTC

According to your American higher education documentaries, I believe a road trip would be customary, particularly if you or a friend wishes to engage in sexual relations with a girl who is not in your geographical region.

LSK

Postby LSK » Sat May 15, 2010 4:12 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:According to your American higher education documentaries, I believe a road trip would be customary, particularly if you or a friend wishes to engage in sexual relations with a girl who is not in your geographical region.

I don't have a car or a friend with a car, but otherwise that would be a great idea.

LinuxPenguin

Postby LinuxPenguin » Sat May 15, 2010 5:08 pm UTC

Some rail lines offer student discounts. Go spend a day or two in a nearby city you've never been to or something.

:: shrug ::

(cl)AmTrak offers the Student Advantage card, for instance.
 Mac User (Running OS X, Linux, and Chrome OS)

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat May 15, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

Make angry and opinionated posts about films you've never seen on the internet.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Sat May 15, 2010 6:53 pm UTC

Whatever you do, DON'T get a job. Us who aren't in education don't need the extra competition, thanks
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Sat May 15, 2010 7:02 pm UTC

Last summer, I worked. This summer, I'm working and taking summer classes. It sucks. At least it means I'll graduate next June. And never have a summer break again.

Dason

Postby Dason » Sat May 15, 2010 7:29 pm UTC

a_fuzzyduck wrote:Whatever you do, DON'T get a job. Us who aren't in education don't need the extra competition, thanks

And those in college just have a ton of money floating around right?
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Sat May 15, 2010 7:38 pm UTC

Work, you lazy slacker! That's what I'm doing, with luck.
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat May 15, 2010 8:37 pm UTC

Fat Zombie wrote:Work, you lazy slacker! That's what I'm doing, with luck.
Must find work... though I'm graduated, so this isn't really for just the summer. :shock:

Though I might have an interview next week. :D

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Sat May 15, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

Dason wrote:
a_fuzzyduck wrote:Whatever you do, DON'T get a job. Us who aren't in education don't need the extra competition, thanks

And those in college just have a ton of money floating around right?

Presumably not, but when it comes to finding work, I'm desperate enough not to care that much about the financial situation of others. Of course that's callous, but I'm in an especially foul mood about my unemployment
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sat May 15, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

I worked in summer when I was a student--as a camp leader/supervisor. Was pretty good pay and decent hours--was a day camp so I didn't have to keep them overnight.
Rice Puddin.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sat May 15, 2010 11:26 pm UTC

Work a job and save up some money to be able to live a little more comfortably over the next year.

That or blow all you money on a far flung holiday with some people from your uni.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Sun May 16, 2010 3:57 am UTC

Internship?

If there are spaces, please take the opportunity, for people like me are having trouble finding one in my home country.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

redgrowth

Postby redgrowth » Sun May 16, 2010 4:23 am UTC

By some books and teach yourself something interesting!

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon May 17, 2010 3:47 pm UTC

Get a job, then drink and fuck like crazy. That's what college kids are supposed to be doing anyway.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Mon May 17, 2010 5:17 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Make angry and opinionated posts about films you've never seen on the internet.

Congratz, you just made me LOL, an extreme rarity when reading forum posts. A tip of the hat Sir.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon May 17, 2010 9:04 pm UTC

I wouldn't know, as I'm apparently no longer a college student as of yesterday afternoon.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Raoul Duke

Postby Raoul Duke » Mon May 17, 2010 10:41 pm UTC

In my current situation I'm able to take more hours per week of classes during the summer than during the year. I was expelled and only able to take night classes for this past year but in the summer I'm allowed to take courses during the day as well as the night so September to May was my actual time off, funnily enough.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon May 17, 2010 11:25 pm UTC

The only things I can recommend from personal experience are Summer Camp Jobs and...community theater.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon May 17, 2010 11:27 pm UTC

Get a job. Spend your spare time at the beach or the lake. That's what I generally did. If you can't find a job (likely), try to find a volunteering opportunity. Looks good on the resume.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Osha

Postby Osha » Mon May 17, 2010 11:53 pm UTC

redgrowth wrote:By some books and teach yourself something interesting!

Or buy your next semesters textbooks early and get a huge head-start on everyone else :o
I did that for Japanese class, it worked out pretty good.

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Mon May 17, 2010 11:59 pm UTC

Every summer that I was in college, I took extra classes.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue May 18, 2010 12:13 am UTC

Volunteering can be awesome, depending on what's available. I'm spending two days a week this summer helping out at an animal shelter... Partly for my resume, mostly for the kitties. D'aaawww.

Or you could play through every Final Fantasy game, in [American] order. I might end up doing that too.

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Tue May 18, 2010 2:59 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Or you could play through every Final Fantasy game, in [American] order. I might end up doing that too.

That sounds like an awesome idea, up front, that would turn out to be a major regret.

---

Do something awesome. Get a private pilot license, get SCUBA certified, go backpacking for a week or two in a state you've never been to; do something that you'll remember forever.

Don't waste your summer, because let me tell you, after you graduate, you're in the real world and you work year round with no 3 month vacations anymore.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Tue May 18, 2010 5:25 am UTC

Get a job. If you can't get one(the job market it still pretty crappy), try volunteering at a place where you'd like to end up. Don't be afraid to use professors, relatives, or other people to network. Even working part time or just volunteering looks better on your CV than not working at all.

You can do lots of fun things over your summer while still working, you just might have to think a little closer to home for fun activities.

It's also not a bad idea to get a head start on the courses you'll be taking next term. Even if you end up just skimming the text, it at least gives you an idea of what will be covered in the course.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

z4lis

Postby z4lis » Tue May 18, 2010 6:13 am UTC

emceng wrote:Get a job, then drink and fuck like crazy. That's what college kids are supposed to be doing anyway.

Boy, am I doing it wrong.

To contribute, I'm reading books on mathematics and philosophy and I plan on doing me some research with the math dept. this summer. I'll also be playing unhealthy amounts of WoW and Starcraft 2 and League of Legends. Only the reading will hold it the digital game plague in check.

My actual suggestion is to get a beta key and play SC2 until your fingertips bleed.
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Tue May 18, 2010 8:02 am UTC

I just got a job, where most of my coworkers can't work for a good deal of the summer vacation.

More work for me :)

Any time not spent at work, will most likely be spent in the lab (nothing worse than sitting in the lab, looking out in the park next to my uni and seeing people enjoying themself out there). With a bit of serious drinking on the side :D
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Tue May 18, 2010 8:56 am UTC

I don't get all the people who are taking more courses over the summer, do you really have nothing better to do with a three month holiday than obsess about pushing your degree score up?

Do you not remember the moral from the school holiday episode(s) of "Arthur"?
It'll be over before you know it, and you'll have blown your chance to do so much cool stuff if you don't capitalise on it.

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Tue May 18, 2010 9:36 am UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:I don't get all the people who are taking more courses over the summer, do you really have nothing better to do with a three month holiday than obsess about pushing your degree score up?

It'll be over before you know it, and you'll have blown your chance to do so much cool stuff if you don't capitalise on it.

Maybe some people consider learning things cool stuff. ;) I know if I didn't have a lab job this summer I'd enjoy taking classes.

z4lis wrote:My actual suggestion is to get a beta key and play SC2 until your fingertips bleed.

Totally seconded, this is basically my plan. Who knows, you might even win some tournaments and make loads of money (not likely).

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 18, 2010 12:11 pm UTC

Jacque wrote:Do something awesome. Get a private pilot license, get SCUBA certified, go backpacking for a week or two in a state you've never been to; do something that you'll remember forever.

Don't waste your summer, because let me tell you, after you graduate, you're in the real world and you work year round with no 3 month vacations anymore.
This. This this this this this.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

LeagueOfMorons

Postby LeagueOfMorons » Tue May 18, 2010 3:51 pm UTC

I would definitely find a job somewhere. But it doesn't have to be a challenging or intellectually stimulating job, as long as the paycheck is decent. I worked a factory job between school years when I was in college and made some pretty decent bank. It certainly made it easier to pay for little things like food and gas when I went back in the fall each year.

I'd wait to worry about finding a job that's interesting and fulfilling until after you've got your degree. After all, that's why you're going to college in the first place, right?

Then again, I never went on any wild cross-country road trips or anything like that. Maybe I did waste my youth. :oops:
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin And Hobbes

I write about music and stuff. You know, just for fun. You can read what I write here: http://relativepitchmusic.blogspot.com

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Tue May 18, 2010 4:13 pm UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:I don't get all the people who are taking more courses over the summer, do you really have nothing better to do with a three month holiday than obsess about pushing your degree score up?

If I don't take classes this summer, I'll have to go back to school after graduation next June to actually finish my degree. I do not want to do that. Tuition over the summer is also much cheaper than the rest of the year.

I really wish I could do something crazy...go on an awesome road trip or whatever, but I just don't have the money. I have to work to afford to go to school and to live. As much as I'd like to, I'm not privileged enough to get to actually take the summer "off" and go somewhere.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Tue May 18, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:

If I don't take classes this summer, I'll have to go back to school after graduation next June to actually finish my degree. I do not want to do that. Tuition over the summer is also much cheaper than the rest of the year.

How does that work, surely either you complete your programme, and pass the year or don't complete and fail. How can you do only part of the courses for a year?

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Tue May 18, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:
Ashlah wrote:

How does that work, surely either you complete your programme, and pass the year or don't complete and fail. How can you do only part of the courses for a year?

(Preface: I don't know how things work outside the US) I came into college with 40 credits I gained during high school, so while it takes many people four years to complete a college degree, I was finished with my first year's worth of credits after my first term of college. So basically, I would need overall three years and one extra term to take all the credits I need for a degree. I can either do that extra term during the summer before my last year, or I can not take classes this summer, go through the graduation ceremony next summer, then take one more term of classes after that. (Obviously, I wouldn't get the degree itself until completing those last few classes--just attend the ceremony).

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue May 18, 2010 5:40 pm UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:How does that work, surely either you complete your programme, and pass the year or don't complete and fail. How can you do only part of the courses for a year?

I think that really depends on where you study. In Sweden, for example, things are pretty liberal in terms of which order you do courses. If you screw your education up by taking courses you can't handle, then that's your problem.

As a consequence of this, I'm getting my BSc and MSc within 6 months of each other because I've postponed doing the BSc thesis project until after I've taken the MSc courses. But whatever.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 18, 2010 6:00 pm UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:How does that work, surely either you complete your programme, and pass the year or don't complete and fail. How can you do only part of the courses for a year?

Though the OP wasn't clear, I'm fairly certain we are discussing an American College system. Depending on the program and how much you do, you *can* graduate in less than 4 years if you take classes every single semester. Most college students often aren't even sure what they want to do the first year, so that first year isn't shot as you're taking general classes, but you aren't optimizing so you end up needing to be in school another year. Or two. And that's assuming a best-case scenario where it's actually laid out in a patter where you can graduate in four years. Many times it's not, as it's just expected at this point that college students will be doing it for 5 years (or more). I mean, if you have to have ten necessary classes and five labs, but all of those ten classes are somewhere in the 9am-12pm bracket and there's two chains (ie you have to have a prerequisite class before you can take the next step up the chain) you often end up in a situation where you could graduate if you could only take these two classes this semester... except both of them are 9am-11am classes.

I mean, especially with the higher level classes, there's often only so many a day/week. If the professor would rather teach a 5 hour class on Thursday than 1 hour every day, but you also need a class that meets for an hour and a half three days a week (Monday, Wednesday, Thursday) at 3pm-4:30pm, or any other number of wacky situations. Hell, could even be that with your major, you can take everything you need, but your minor that makes your major actually useful ALSO has classes in that time period and blah blah blah blah scheduling conflict.

And that's why summer classes are often so popular - because you can take those difficult to schedule classes in a more relaxed schedule. Your summer is spent taking Required Class That Only Meets On Thursday For Five Goddamn Hours and nothing else.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Velict

Postby Velict » Tue May 18, 2010 8:27 pm UTC

Summer internships. They're just about the best sort of work experience you can find (much better than bartending or something similar) and often translate into job offers out of college.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue May 18, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:US class scheduling talk

Yeah, I had the advantage that my program was small enough that they were able to schedule classes such that no classes would be overlapping to cause a problem. In one instance, they completely rescheduled a class because one person in it was taking a class in a different department that would have been a conflict (there was less than 10 people in the class, so it was easy to do).

On the flip side, because the program was so small, classes were scheduled once a year, so if you failed a Spring semester class, you were stuck for another year.

Back on topic: I totally agree with the "do something awesome" crowd if finances allow. You're in your last few years of breaks. Make use of them. I sure wish I did.

Dason

Postby Dason » Wed May 19, 2010 1:20 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Back on topic: I totally agree with the "do something awesome" crowd if finances allow. You're in your last few years of breaks. Make use of them. I sure wish I did.

Me too. Never did anything totally epic. I had my share of fun but thinking back I would have liked to do something like bike across the country or walk across my state.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Return to “General”