Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

zug

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Postby zug » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:40 am UTC

Phrozt wrote:Here's a fun twist. What movies would you like to see *expanded* to 24 hours (i.e., the story is really great, you think a lot more could be done w/it, and you wouldn't mind watching 24 hours worth of it).

A Clockwork Orange, with lots more detail of ultraviolence. >:]
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:32 pm UTC

zug wrote:
Phrozt wrote:Here's a fun twist. What movies would you like to see *expanded* to 24 hours (i.e., the story is really great, you think a lot more could be done w/it, and you wouldn't mind watching 24 hours worth of it).

A Clockwork Orange, with lots more detail of ultraviolence. >:]

Actually, that's a great choice. I can recall when I first watched it that it seems we're thrown into the movie right when their ultraviolence peaked... and I think they reason they did so was because they had to get on to the entire point of the film w/out wasting too much time, because the point itself took a significant amount of time.

I could easily watch hours more that described how such a band was put together in the first place, their first violence and how they reacted... maybe some extra backstory on their quarrels w/the other gangs, etc. Heck, thinking about this just now, I could easily see a mentor figure that puts the gang together in the first place and transfers his knowledge before moving on w/his life, then comes back into the picture after the treatment takes place.. etc. etc.

That could *easily* flesh in another handful of hours in and of itself.

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:46 am UTC

My first instinct was to choose the longest movie, thus cutting the number of times I would have to watch it (Btw, here's a list)
But then I realized that I'd probably lose interest in them within a couple of hours.

Though, I could probably watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail for a day straight.
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:09 am UTC

I definitely agree with the Lion King, or most other musicals. (Dr. Horrible repeated 32 times?) I don't ever get sick of musicals, and I am pretty sure I would sing along with every song, every time. Also, Empire Strikes Back, or Return of the King. Either of those would be good because whenever you get bored you can just think of the other movies in the series (but those are the best of their respective trilogies).
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:21 am UTC

As for a movie expanded to 24 hours, I'd like to see Mulhouland Drive. It was supposed to be a pilot for a TV series but it clearly didn't make any economic sense for any television stations (even premium cable). I would love to see what David Lynch would have done with a couple seasons worth of showtime.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:42 pm UTC

There's one song in Doctor Horrible that would actually take that many viewings to learn the words to (the beginning of the "You're Gonna Die" song).
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:07 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:There's one song in Doctor Horrible that would actually take that many viewings to learn the words to (the beginning of the "You're Gonna Die" song).
Eh, it only took me about 10 listens to learn the words to that one :)
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

frogman

Postby frogman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:25 am UTC

Anything that was a book and was made into a movie. Just sayin'.

I don't think I could actually watch any movie that many times over and over again. However when I was a kid I watched "El Dorado" a lot. I mean like a lot. I could play the first 30 minutes in my head because I had memorized all of the dialogue.

So yeah maybe that.
yeah yeah yeah

The Liger

Postby The Liger » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:58 pm UTC

Hah, insane but brilliant idea.

If a musical (which I think is a brilliant idea - Lion King especially), why not a proper epic one like Sound of Music. You wouldn't have to watch it as many times as a shorter Disney one. Or hell, go the whole hog with something like Ben Hur.

Alternatively I'd advise something messed up like a Tarantino film: probably Pulp Fiction, both because it's long and fantastic, and full of witty banter. The advantage of a film like that is that there's not so much of an obvious "Beginning -> Middle -> End" - it sort of just flows, which might make it harder on the first few showings, but means that you don't get the feeling of, "Oh, it's finally over, aaand here it begins again." At least that's the theory. Then again, the difference in mood between the end and subsequent beginning of a film might actually make the transitions easier; otherwise it really will seem like one LONG Tarantino epic.

Really good animated comedies are a possibility as well. I'd actually be up for watching The Emperor's New Groove 18 times over, even if it costs me my sanity.

However, one thing to remember is that whatever film you watch will probably be ruined for the rest of your life, so don't pick one that's too dear to you.

Psycho Goose

Postby Psycho Goose » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:56 am UTC

Something by David Lynch. Because no matter how many times you watch Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, or Inland Empire, they will never make sense.

Or... *looks on Wikipedia for longest movie to seem even remotely interesting* you could watch Satantango. You'd only get three, three and a half viewings.
Mother Superior wrote:Go to Checkov's guns on fifth. But be careful, any gun he shows you is liable to go off at some point while you're in the store.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:58 am UTC

It's bad enough watching Eraserhead once, why would you voluntarily watch it more?

Psycho Goose

Postby Psycho Goose » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:06 am UTC

To prove that you can.

Mind you, I like Eraserhead. But it's not the kind of movie I can watch often.
Mother Superior wrote:Go to Checkov's guns on fifth. But be careful, any gun he shows you is liable to go off at some point while you're in the store.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:22 am UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimat_(film)#The_Second_Heimat

Comedies are straight out, because jokes get old. Any Monty Python movie, quite frankly, doesn't ever need to be seen or referenced again for at least a generation--that's how overplayed the jokes are by now.

Seriously, anyone here who would watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail over and over again would probably chuckle if I responded to this thread with "in Soviet Russia, movie watches YOU nonstop for 24 hours!" because that's how fucking old the jokes are by now.

Related: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=chappelle
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:17 am UTC

Expanded to 24 hours: Oldboy, and Being John Malkovich.
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

Ranulfr

Postby Ranulfr » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:28 am UTC

The Road to El Dorado (best american animation IMHO) as far as a cartoon, Pulp Fiction for realistic.
I may lose but the person who beats me will never get rid of the scars.

jakemaheu

Postby jakemaheu » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:27 am UTC

How about Repo! The Genetic Opera?

That is one of my favorite movies of all time, actually. All the songs in it are pretty catchy (excluding Seventeen, I don't think it fits with the theme) and the plot is pretty good. I'd say I've wasted at least 24 hours on it in total, and I think I could watch it for that long, straight.

Also, if muting was an option, the people I'd watch it with would sing along with me. That would be really fun!

EDIT: I could also watch either The Brave Little Toaster or The Emperor's New Groove. Isn't that air conditioner just nightmare fuel? He freaks out so badly that he basically has an aneurysm on camera! Also, the evil junkyard magnet scared the shit out of me when I was little. It still gives me chills to see his angry, red, foreboding figure approach the good guys.
Dauric wrote:Rent more backhoes and order more fill-dirt. This molehill needs to be a mountain by day's end.

sje46 wrote:It's not if when you get married the husband ceremoniously places his dick in his wife and a baby

ian

Postby ian » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:35 am UTC

Probably something I've already seen lots of times, Star Wars is the obvious choice, followed by Serenity or Empire Records. Possibly Mallrats

black rook in rainy weather

Postby black rook in rainy weather » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:41 pm UTC

ian wrote:Possibly Mallrats

Thats an interesting choice..

I think I could do it with Clerks 2, its such a friendly movie, and I love Rosario's performance so much. But overall its a really easy watch anyway so I doubt I'd get bored (at least as quick as I would with other flicks).
As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being.
Carl Jung

ranthlor

Postby ranthlor » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:32 am UTC

Canadian Bacon
john candy's best movie, i used to watch it like twice a week when i was little

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:11 am UTC

Ranulfr wrote:The Road to El Dorado (best american animation IMHO)

HAVE YOU SEEN THE LION KING!?!
Edit: Let me expand upon this. The Lion King is an amazing film. Aladdin is an amazing film. Snow White's pretty cool. Stuff like that. El Dorado, on the other hand, was Not Very Good, for me at least--and this is from the perspective of watching it when it came out when I was much younger, and in The Now.
Honestly, the best disney cartoon in the past decade or so would have to go to The Emperor's New Groove with david spade as the llama emperor. That movie is damn hilarious.
But honestly. The Lion King could beat El Dorado without even going into elton john's best compositions. The dialogue is great. The hamlet-but-happy plot is great. It's great.
uhhhh fuck.

Ranulfr

Postby Ranulfr » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:39 am UTC

Edit: Let me expand upon this. The Lion King is an amazing film. Aladdin is an amazing film. Snow White's pretty cool. Stuff like that. El Dorado, on the other hand, was Not Very Good, for me at least--and this is from the perspective of watching it when it came out when I was much younger, and in The Now.
Honestly, the best disney cartoon in the past decade or so would have to go to The Emperor's New Groove with david spade as the llama emperor. That movie is damn hilarious.
But honestly. The Lion King could beat El Dorado without even going into elton john's best compositions. The dialogue is great. The hamlet-but-happy plot is great. It's great.

Yes, yes i have seen the Lion King, it was the first movie i ever saw. While ill admit that its a great movie i would have to put The Road to El Dorado in front of it for a couple of reasons. First off is the sheer sense of adventure that i dont think that disney was ever able to capture as well as dreamworks. Plus you have Tulio and Miguel which are a great duo and the fact that its not really a kids film. I never really appreciated the hamlet but happy plot of the lion king because hamlet is sad, its supposed to be sad and making it upbeat wasn't a good move. The Emperors New Groove i hated with a vengeance, the writing was overdone and i think that the moral was dropped on your head like a ton of bricks taped to the nose of a crashing 747. I will always pick The Road to El Dorado over that but hey this is all just my opinion.
I may lose but the person who beats me will never get rid of the scars.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:58 pm UTC

Yo, I'm happy for you, I'mma let you finish, but The Little Mermaid was the best Disney movie of all time.

OF ALL TIME.

akashra

Postby akashra » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:42 pm UTC

The first time I saw 'Garden State', I watched it another 3 times within the first 48 hours. I think it's reasonable to therefore I could bear watching it the 14ish times it would fill in a 24 hour block.
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )

mispeled

Postby mispeled » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

So you're talking about actually watching the movie over in that 24 hours? Or just having it on in the background?

It's different, you know.

If it's just having it on in the background for 24 hours, I can say that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas makes a great movie for this. I know, I tried it. Of course, various states of sobriety were involved. And possibly bats. I'm not sure, that whole weekend was pretty surreal.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:25 pm UTC

Philwelch wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimat_(film)#The_Second_Heimat

Comedies are straight out, because jokes get old. Any Monty Python movie, quite frankly, doesn't ever need to be seen or referenced again for at least a generation--that's how overplayed the jokes are by now.

Seriously, anyone here who would watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail over and over again would probably chuckle if I responded to this thread with "in Soviet Russia, movie watches YOU nonstop for 24 hours!" because that's how fucking old the jokes are by now.

I disagree. Rush Hour gets better and better the more frequently you watch it in a short amount of time.

Then again, after about the eighth viewing, you're no longer watching the film are instead deconstructing the shots and coming up with different interpretations based on the social, economic, and political situations of the late 90s.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Philwelch wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimat_(film)#The_Second_Heimat

I disagree. Rush Hour gets better and better the more frequently you watch it in a short amount of time.

Then again, after about the eighth viewing, you're no longer watching the film are instead deconstructing the shots and coming up with different interpretations based on the social, economic, and political situations of the late 90s.

I have better things to do with my spare time. I'm sorry you don't.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:51 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Then again, after about the eighth viewing, you're no longer watching the film are instead deconstructing the shots and coming up with different interpretations based on the social, economic, and political situations of the late 90s.

Perhaps. But if you want to harness the true power of repeated viewing of light comedy, you have to go with the only movie that can treat Bosnian war PTSD: Dodgeball. It's layered like that.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

wqdiia

Postby wqdiia » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:17 am UTC

I wouldn't want to pick a movie that I actually like, since after 24 hours of looking at it I probably wouldn't, anymore. I'm thinking something along the lines of The Phantom Menace - something I don't like especially, something I've already seen over ten times, something with simple dialogue and plot (to be memorized with friends, eventually turning sound off from the TV), something not very taxing in any sense. I think TPM is just the sort of movie that would easily turn into a comedy after repeated viewings and sleep deprivation.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:46 pm UTC

Dream wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Then again, after about the eighth viewing, you're no longer watching the film are instead deconstructing the shots and coming up with different interpretations based on the social, economic, and political situations of the late 90s.

Perhaps. But if you want to harness the true power of repeated viewing of light comedy, you have to go with the only movie that can treat Bosnian war PTSD: Dodgeball. It's layered like that.
You realize now that I will have to purchase this movie just so I can watch it for 36 hours straight, you bastard.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:40 am UTC

Waking Life. Then again, I'm kind of nuts.

Lounge

Postby Lounge » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:38 pm UTC

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

EDIT: Young Frankenstein would be probably work too.

I'm pretty sure I could just watch Gene Wilder be Gene Wilder for 24 hours.
Dibley wrote:"This plot makes no sense! That's not really a lion, it's a guy in a lion suit!"

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:30 pm UTC

Ranulfr wrote:

Yes, yes i have seen the Lion King, it was the first movie i ever saw. While ill admit that its a great movie i would have to put The Road to El Dorado in front of it for a couple of reasons. First off is the sheer sense of adventure that i dont think that disney was ever able to capture as well as dreamworks. Plus you have Tulio and Miguel which are a great duo and the fact that its not really a kids film. I never really appreciated the hamlet but happy plot of the lion king because hamlet is sad, its supposed to be sad and making it upbeat wasn't a good move. The Emperors New Groove i hated with a vengeance, the writing was overdone and i think that the moral was dropped on your head like a ton of bricks taped to the nose of a crashing 747. I will always pick The Road to El Dorado over that but hey this is all just my opinion.

I irrationally love Road to Eldorado to bits myself. Not sure if I pick it over the big disney movies (lion king/little mermaid) but I freaking loved it.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:31 pm UTC

Phrozt wrote:
Blokey wrote:And from a less objective point, I could personally watch 12 Angry Men over and over.

I'm just saying it's possible.

Here's a fun twist. What movies would you like to see *expanded* to 24 hours (i.e., the story is really great, you think a lot more could be done w/it, and you wouldn't mind watching 24 hours worth of it).

I'd love a *proper* retelling of LOTR. I love the trilogy, but I have to view them as separate.
So a proper LOTR. Would easily take 24 hours. Current extended trilogy clocks in over 12 hours probably :mrgreen:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

AngelaJennings2112

Postby AngelaJennings2112 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

Yeah, Memento. I get a headache just thinking about that one.

I prefer easy on the mind and fun movies, which brings me to Raising Arizona.

A classic that always makes me smile and God only knows, I could use 24 hours of doing that.

"Unpainted Huffhinds"

debiatan

Postby debiatan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

I friend of mine and I finally did it! We watched Shinboru sixteen times in a row. It was fun during the first eight screenings. A nightmare after that. We videotaped it, so I'll drop a line once I edit the video and upload it somewhere.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:07 pm UTC

The Cure for Insomnia? If you don't fall asleep, of course.

Also, I vote that you watch it A Clockwork Orange-style. Eyes forced open, limbs strapped down, strange man with eye drops.

^_^

Postby ^_^ » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:51 am UTC

Hmmm fairly sure I've come close to 24 hours straight of Fight Club viewing. Was excellent. Would totally do that again :D
Orrrr Sweeney Todd. Or maybe Donnie Darko. Or something somewhat long but equally awesome, like The Dark Knight ^_^

Mat

Postby Mat » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:38 pm UTC

Groundhog day.

For a movie expanded to 24hrs I'd pick Run Lola Run. Or maybe Primer :twisted:

big boss

Postby big boss » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:52 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:I'd love a *proper* retelling of LOTR. I love the trilogy, but I have to view them as separate.
So a proper LOTR. Would easily take 24 hours. Current extended trilogy clocks in over 12 hours probably

and tom bombadil would finally get his long overdue fame!

On another note:
the human centipede, google a synopsis, i assure you its a real movie and they are making a sequel... the world is a scary place.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

onix888

Postby onix888 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

Back to the future. Every single time i see this movie i find new interesting detail that make the movie even more impressive and entertaining and watchig trilogy many times in 24 hours would make this even more interesting.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”