Prototype

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Andioje

Prototype

Postby Andioje » Sun May 24, 2009 2:48 pm UTC

What does xkcd think of the soon-to-be-released game Prototype?

Links for info if you need it:
Home site: http://www.prototypegame.com/us/index.html#footer
IGN Page: http://pc.ign.com/objects/956/956075.html

Edit: Release date noted for June 2nd 2009.
Last edited by Andioje on Sun May 24, 2009 7:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Light a fire for a man, he will be warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life." -- Terry Brooks

PM for random conversation, I'll discuss just about anything.

Awia

Re: Prototype

Postby Awia » Sun May 24, 2009 2:59 pm UTC

That's all well and good, but when are they going to release the real version?
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun May 24, 2009 3:59 pm UTC

There are far more important games coming out next month, like Overlord II.

While I trust Radical Entertainment as a fairly competent developer (the current Crash Bandicoot games, while not the originals, are still quite fun :)), Prototype is not an instant buy for me at the moment because the entire concept of it is something that's easy to make look awesome, but is likely to be terribly boring/reptitive once it gets unleashed to the players who don't have a marketing agenda related to the game.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sun May 24, 2009 4:41 pm UTC

Comes out June 2nd and looks great, I'm getting both inFAMOUS and this. Both of them look great and look like they will be a lot of fun.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

psion

Postby psion » Tue May 26, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

It looks too ambitious to me. I think it'll turn out like GTA minus the decent story/missions - just an unpolished sandbox game where you cause mayhem until bored. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:53 am UTC

Put a handful of hours in, and so far it's great. I enjoy that the evolution types have different uses (critter vs. armor vs. range), but admit that it feels very similar to Spiderman 2 with blood and swearing.

Personally, I think these 'open world' sand box games are pretty dull. I'd rather the game be more akin to Legend of Zelda, with new story lines opening new keys or abilities to let us into new places. That said...

Spoiler:
That the game starts at the endish, and is told as Alex Mercer speaks to a as yet unknown person on the roof of a building overlooking the destroyed city, is really, REALLY cool to me. I hope the opening storyline stays good, so far, I'm enjoying picking up random tidbits of memories to hash the place out.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:29 pm UTC

I'm still waiting for Amazon to ship it. :(

That said, I loved Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and hope for more like that, which, by all indications, is exactly what it is.

BMW787

Postby BMW787 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:54 pm UTC

Im really excited for this. I looks aweome. I mean whats better that being an unstoppable force capable of kicking everyones ass? I just hope it delivers everything it promised.
"I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence." -Ricky Bobby

"Grow up and do coke like an adult." -Daniel Tosh

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:I'm still waiting for Amazon to ship it. :(

That said, I loved Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and hope for more like that, which, by all indications, is exactly what it is.

Well the only reason this game exists is because they didn't get the second hulk game that was tied to the second movie. Hence the new york setting, which was probably some stuff they built beforehand just in case, and they didn't want it to go to waste. Still it looks good.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

I started the game not hurting any civilians. Then I got a tank, and just driving from point A to point B ended up killing 345. I felt bad, until I got the whip arm.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I started the game not hurting any civilians. Then I got a tank, and just driving from point A to point B ended up killing 345. I felt bad, until I got the whip arm.

Great, just because of you, I bought this game.

Birk

Postby Birk » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:05 am UTC

I am a total sucker for these sandbox, go forth and be badass, type games. Put a few hours in tonight. Loved it.

There must be almost a 100 upgrades to buy by the end of the game since every couple missions you unlock 20+ new ones it seems.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:39 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I started the game not hurting any civilians. Then I got a tank, and just driving from point A to point B ended up killing 345. I felt bad, until I got the whip arm.

Yeah, I did my best not to hurt the civilians. Same can't be said for the military and the police though. But after all the civilians did was get in my way whilst in the tank, I got less interested in not harming them. You don't cross the street whilst and APC is coming your way at full speed.

I've just got to master jumping in this game. I've been trying to perfect jumping on soldiers to squash them. So far, no luck. Wrecking helicopters by throwing taxis at them never gets old though :D Bring on those strike teams!

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:45 am UTC

Does anyone else find the armor mode to be completely useless?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:04 pm UTC

Armor mode significantly reduces damage from incoming projectiles. That includes missiles. It also lets you run through things at high speed, which is a combination of hilarious and useful.

I find the muscle mutation to be pretty lame though, kind of a lastminute toss in by the designers to make people want to pay attention to Alex's three punch-knee combo. Also, it can be sort of difficult to rush into people, as with melee weapons like the claws or the club, you have a propensity to simply jump kick instead.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

Yeah, but you lose so much mobility. You're basically dropped down to the initial jump level, initial sprint level, can't glide, and can't dodge. I don't feel it gives a significant enough reduction to counter all those things. Things that make me not take damage in the first place.

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

So, is this worth shelling out 75 dollars for?
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:55 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Armor mode significantly reduces damage from incoming projectiles

It does? Armor mode is the shield you create in front of you right, or are you further along the game then I am and have unlocked something neater? I only turn the shield off when I'm trying to be incognito, otherwise, I run and fly and sprint and jump with the same freedom.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm farther than you. That's Shield Mode, Armor Mode turns your entire body into an indestructable shield...basically.

GrawSith

Postby GrawSith » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:44 am UTC

I'm loving it so far. Armor, Shield and Musclemass seem useless, but once you've gotten Glide and a few jump/sprint upgrades, it's beautiful. "Did I just uppercut a HELICOPTER???"

Also Whip Grab is my favourite ability so far.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:15 am UTC

This game has SO much to it I have to respect it for sheer audacity alone. GTA was always fun for the sandbox gameplay anyway.

Though I have to wonder how they can possibly make the game challenging when you have so many ways to tear your enemies apart.

GrawSith

Postby GrawSith » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:27 am UTC

I always felt it was like GTA4/SR: Easy to mess about and generally play around, but the missions are where the challenge is.

Also, Armour isn't useless, I've been using it for tanks and choppers. It works quite nicely.

EDIT: Go to the [CHEAT] section in the menu and enter "RIGHT, RIGHT, LEFT, DOWN, UP, UP, UP, DOWN". You'll unlock a new move called "Body Surf", where if you charge-punch someone on the ground while you're in the air, you'll drop on them and surf them like a surfboard for about 20m (60 feet, i dunno). It's quite awesome.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:43 am UTC

The end boss fight is REALLY annoying. You can be at full health, but mess up dodging his super-move, and get killed with no way to save yourself at all. And the second half of the fight being on a short timer means you have to do some real trial-and-error to finish him off quickly.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:37 am UTC

GrawSith wrote:EDIT: Go to the [CHEAT] section in the menu and enter "RIGHT, RIGHT, LEFT, DOWN, UP, UP, UP, DOWN". You'll unlock a new move called "Body Surf", where if you charge-punch someone on the ground while you're in the air, you'll drop on them and surf them like a surfboard for about 20m (60 feet, i dunno). It's quite awesome.

Alternatively, you could just play the game and purchase it normally...

EDIT: *groan* "Trail Of Corpses (30) Kill 53,596 infected."

psion

Postby psion » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:15 pm UTC

It's like Venom in Spiderman 2... fortunately, both are awesome, in a shallow sort of way.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:55 pm UTC

Does the game get challenging before the final boss? Also, what's the shtick with the last weapon upgrade (the giant blade?), how is it a more/less useful situational weapon?

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

I've found that it's really powerful against single enemies. I mostly use it for taking out Hunters.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

Basically, the blade is more or less effective against everything. Especially if you have the air slice move for it. Fully charged it'll take out a tank or hunter in one hit on hard mode. It almost kills Supersoldiers.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:10 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Does the game get challenging before the final boss? Also, what's the shtick with the last weapon upgrade (the giant blade?), how is it a more/less useful situational weapon?

The blade is a compromise between hammerfist and claws. It works against tanks pretty well (not as good as hammer), and works well against non-tanks (but not as good as claws do). The airdrop can kill a tank fully charged, but the elbow drop from hammerfist can do that too (and has a bigger landing AOE attack).

psion

Postby psion » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:24 pm UTC

It's fairly challenging throughout, not really hard but not button-mashing easy. All of the abilities are pretty well balanced, so you don't end up using the same overpowered move through the whole game.
All of the mission are pretty dull, though. Not even close to GTA quality.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:31 pm UTC

psion wrote:All of the mission are pretty dull, though. Not even close to GTA quality.

That's bad news. But GTA succeeds despite its bad missions - hopefully you could say the same about Prototype.

psion

Postby psion » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:04 pm UTC

It succeeds, but it's no GOTY. The missions are mostly go here, kill this, go there, kill that, collect 10 boar hides.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

I find it odd that I can jump over large walls (or even run up them) and then land with a ground breaking thud next to a bunch of military guys yet they don't immediately start shooting me. If you land from HIGH enough they immediately make you as a threat/monster but if its not that high they just don't notice. Made that one mission where I thought I had to sneak by the viral detectors to get this one guy MUCH easier when I just jumped over a wall and landed between the two detector zones. Stealth Consume also seems kinda overpowered. Though its unclear what it actually takes to use it. It seems to be LOS with other military guys but sometimes it works despite that.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:10 pm UTC

Yeah, I wish civilians and the military at large were more observant. It's annoying that I can transform into a different person, then sprint away at 100 mph, jump a full city block and land with an asphalt busting bang, and NYC's dumbfucks won't even get off their cellphone.

Although... maybe that's realism/intentional?

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Stealth Consume also seems kinda overpowered. Though its unclear what it actually takes to use it. It seems to be LOS with other military guys but sometimes it works despite that.

Its line of sight (180 degree line of sight from whichever way they're facing. But they have to be able to see you (if the guy is in their line of sight, but you're not, you can consume him). Also, the line of sight has about a 20ft range, no more than that. So if you get a tiny bit of distance between people, you can still eat people in broad daylight.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:36 pm UTC

There's more strange stuff. Manhattan has been cordoned of from the rest of the world, the military and zombies are fighting in the streets, there's an aircraft carrier in the Hudson, and yet people are still strolling around the streets, even in infected zones :P

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

I'd imagine they don't go running after you for your feats of superhuman abilities because it would get rather annoying to have the military start chasing you every 3 minutes.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:37 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:I'd imagine they don't go running after you for your feats of superhuman abilities because it would get rather annoying to have the military start chasing you every 3 minutes.

Or most of them aren't suicidal? If I saw something running away from me with blades-for-hands I wouldn't start shooting at it. That might only get it angry.

psion

Postby psion » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:39 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:There's more strange stuff. Manhattan has been cordoned of from the rest of the world, the military and zombies are fighting in the streets, there's an aircraft carrier in the Hudson, and yet people are still strolling around the streets, even in infected zones :P

I thought exactly the same, but you know, it's far more fun that way.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:43 am UTC

psion wrote:
ArgonV wrote:There's more strange stuff. Manhattan has been cordoned of from the rest of the world, the military and zombies are fighting in the streets, there's an aircraft carrier in the Hudson, and yet people are still strolling around the streets, even in infected zones :P
I thought exactly the same, but you know, it's far more fun that way.
Also, it's New York City. I doubt many of the people noticed something was up, beyond the bridges being closed.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “Gaming”