Shooter kills 1 in attack at Parti Québécois victory rally

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Chen

Shooter kills 1 in attack at Parti Québécois victory rally

Postby Chen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:32 pm UTC

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/quebecvot ... fired.html

Not something you usually see up here in Canada.

In other related news, the PQ gets a minority government after ousting the Liberals. Also makes it the first woman premier for Quebec. Shame she's a bigot and a hypocrite and will make life for the non-francophones hell here.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/quebecvot ... -2012.html

Votes were far closer than expected though.
PQ 54 seats - 31.93% popular vote
Libs 50 seats - 31.2% popular vote
CAQ 19 seats - 27.05% popular vote
QS 2 seats - 6.03% popular vote

Funny how our riding system works. The first two look reasonable. But the CAQ with 19 seats yet over a quarter of the popular vote is intuitively odd.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Re: Shooter kills 1 in attack at Parti Québécois victory ral

Postby Jessica » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:55 pm UTC

All I can say is "Fuck..."
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

nitePhyyre

Postby nitePhyyre » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:42 pm UTC

re shooting: He apparently shouted "The English are awakening!" -In French. Yet, when barring non-francophones from public office, all the way down to city council, is one of your least bigoted policies, and you run a campaign on xenophobia, this kind of thing is to be expected. Along with that video of the French couple that harassed the group of Asians for speaking English that went viral on YouTube a few days ago. This is fairly predictable results, really.

I'm not too displeased with the outcome. As a left-leaning English speaker, a PQ government castrated by being a minority is pretty much your only option.
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:52 pm UTC

nitePhyyre wrote:re shooting: He apparently shouted "The English are awakening!" -In French. Yet, when barring non-francophones from public office, all the way down to city council, is one of your least bigoted policies, and you run a campaign on xenophobia, this kind of thing is to be expected. Along with that video of the French couple that harassed the group of Asians for speaking English that went viral on YouTube a few days ago. This is fairly predictable results, really.

Yeah its not clear yet what this person's goal actually was. Latest reports are saying he's not from Montreal but that's really all they have so far.

I'm not too displeased with the outcome. As a left-leaning English speaker, a PQ government castrated by being a minority is pretty much your only option.

Despite not liking the corruption the Liberals have been likely complicit in for the last while I still would have preferred a Liberal victory. That said a PQ minority is not SO bad. I gotta wonder what's going to happen with the tuition increases though. Both the CAQ and Libs want the increase to go through and the PQ promised to cancel it. With a minority I don't really see how they'll be able to do that. One of the student leaders who was elected as a PM said the PQ would definitely cancel it which leads me to believe he has no clue what goes on when there's a minority government.

nitePhyyre

Postby nitePhyyre » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:21 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Despite not liking the corruption the Liberals have been likely complicit in for the last while I still would have preferred a Liberal victory. That said a PQ minority is not SO bad. I gotta wonder what's going to happen with the tuition increases though. Both the CAQ and Libs want the increase to go through and the PQ promised to cancel it. With a minority I don't really see how they'll be able to do that. One of the student leaders who was elected as a PM said the PQ would definitely cancel it which leads me to believe he has no clue what goes on when there's a minority government.
Would killing the tuition hike require the house's confidence? Neither the Libs nor the CAQ are ready to call another election. Doing so would probably give the PQ a majority.

This is all speculation though. It's still possible that the CAQ+Lib form a coalition, or that some members of the CAQ switch sides to the PQ.
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

Eowiel

Postby Eowiel » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:40 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Despite not liking the corruption the Liberals have been likely complicit in for the last while I still would have preferred a Liberal victory. That said a PQ minority is not SO bad. I gotta wonder what's going to happen with the tuition increases though. Both the CAQ and Libs want the increase to go through and the PQ promised to cancel it. With a minority I don't really see how they'll be able to do that. One of the student leaders who was elected as a PM said the PQ would definitely cancel it which leads me to believe he has no clue what goes on when there's a minority government.

I'm not familiar with the Canadian political system so I could be completely wrong but isn't it so that even a minority government becomes the executive force and if so, doesn't that mean that even though the law is voted, the executive force can refuse to implement it? So while they basically couldn't cancel the law I think they can make a not yet implemented law never go into effect (for example by stalling the implementation indefinitely).

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:45 pm UTC

nitePhyyre wrote:Would killing the tuition hike require the house's confidence? Neither the Libs nor the CAQ are ready to call another election. Doing so would probably give the PQ a majority.

This is all speculation though. It's still possible that the CAQ+Lib form a coalition, or that some members of the CAQ switch sides to the PQ.

Well I doubt they'll topple the government over the tuition hikes, but they'll certainly play hardball with it. They're not just going to let it be cancelled. Clearly the money for the schools has to come from somewhere. I suspect a lesser increase so the students get some concessions and some increased taxes somewhere to accommodate the rest (likely from the rich, because if they try to increase middle class taxes they opposition WILL topple the government and the PQ will lose big time).

Return to “News & Articles”