Police misbehavior thread

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Coyne

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Coyne » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:22 pm UTC

I found the article I mentioned in my previous post: Surveillance Video Raises Questions About 17-Year-Old Girl Fatally Shot By Cops At Police Station.

It does look like Kristiana Coignard has something in her hand (at about 11:08 as she lunges) but "hard to see" hardly describes it: It could be a banana for all you can see.

The police add that she had the words, "I have a gun" written on one of her hands.
In all fairness...

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:56 pm UTC

Why is what she had even a question, it happened in a police station, shouldn't they have the weapon in question? I guess maybe she didn't leave fingerprints on it so they can't prove it's hers or something.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:15 pm UTC

http://newsfeed.gawker.com/cops-filmed- ... 1682836395

you kind of have to feel a little worse when you get pepper sprayed by a bike cop
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:38 am UTC

DSenette wrote:http://newsfeed.gawker.com/cops-filmed-firing-pepper-spray-at-teacher-walking-from-1682836395

you kind of have to feel a little worse when you get pepper sprayed by a bike cop

How can this stuff be happening??
I thought Seattle was so nice it was almost Canada.
When did the Seattle Police stop being The People?

If that man says he was attacked for No reason,
Then he was attacked for No Reason.

Pepper Spray is a physical insult that a healthy young man will recover from.

MLK events attract The Old, The Young and The Disabled.
Those people can not Bounce Back like a young strong man can.

Who is Training these guys?
If someone tells them; Will it be Worse?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:56 pm UTC

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/record ... 5/+maxread

quite surprising that they included documents stating that he still had his hands above his head when he was shot
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:16 pm UTC

Good News and Bad News:

The Bad News first: Sgt. Valerie Deant and her fellow National Guard soldiers went to a shooting range, and found that mug shots of people arrested by the North Miami Beach Police--INCLUDING DEANT'S OWN BROTHER--were being used for target practice by local police snipers.

Family Outraged After North Miami Beach Police Use Mug Shots as Shooting Targets

[snip]

What the soldiers discovered when they entered the range made them angry: mug shots of African American men apparently used as targets by North Miami Beach Police snipers, who had used the range before the guardsmen.

Even more startling for Deant, one of the images was her brother. It was Woody Deant’s mug shot that taken 15 years ago, after he was arrested in connection to a drag race in 2000 that left two people dead. His mug shot was among the pictures of five minorities used as targets by North Miami Beach police, all of them riddled by bullets.

“I was like 'why is my brother being used for target practice?'" Deant asked.

[snip]

She immediately called her brother, Woody Deant, who was 18 years old when the picture was taken.

“The picture actually has like bullet holes,” Woody Deant said. “One in my forehead and one in my eye. …I was speechless," he added.

[snip]

North Miami Beach Police Chief J. Scott Dennis admitted that his officers could have used better judgment, but denies any racial profiling.

He noted that the sniper team includes minority officers. Dennis defended the department’s use of actual photographs and says the technique is widely used and the pictures are vital for facial recognition drills. But the Deant family questions why officers were firing targets with images of real people, in this case African-Americans, especially at a time when relations between minority communities and law enforcement are so tense.

[snip]

Dennis said the police department uses an array of pictures including that of whites, and Hispanic males. What concerns his police department, he said, is that the picture was from someone that happened to be arrested by his agency.

“That individual would be someone that was on the streets of North Miami Beach,” Dennis said.

Woody Deant, who did four years in prison after his 2000 arrest, expressed outrage.

“Now I’m being used as a target?” said Woody Deant. “I’m not even living that life according to how they portrayed me as. I’m a father. I’m a husband. I’m a career man. I work 9-to-5.”

The Deants contacted Attorney Andell Brown. He said he finds the use of human images for target practice extremely disturbing.

“This can create a very dangerous situation,” Brown said. “And it has been ingrained in your subconscious what does that mean when someone [police] comes across Woody or another person on the street and their decision-making process on using deadly force or not.”

The Deants agree.

“Automatically in his [police officer] mind he’s going to think target, target, target…,” Woody Deant said.

And now the Good News (which of course doesn't completely offset the Bad News, but it warmed my heart anyway): In response to the above story, dozens of mostly white Lutheran ministers (and some clergypeople from other religions) sent pictures of themselves to the North Miami Beach police department, for use as targets instead.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn ... meinstead/

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:26 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/records-unarmed-man-killed-by-cops-said-i-dont-want-t-1683245425/+maxread

quite surprising that they included documents stating that he still had his hands above his head when he was shot

This part makes me so sad and frustrated:

Geer repeatedly refused officers' requests that he leave his house. "I know my rights," he told police after one such request, according to a handwritten report. "I know what's gonna happen if I come out."

Stewart now says Geer learned about those rights after an incident in the 1990s when they went out drinking together and were pulled over by the police. Stewart was driving and Geer was in the passenger seat. An officer asked Geer to step out of the car. "He got out and they arrested him for drunk in public," says Stewart. "He learned he could have stayed in his car and he never would have been arrested. So he was going to stay in his house, and he was telling the police he knew that he has a right to stay in his home, and that if he came out they'd arrest him."

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:29 pm UTC

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:07 pm UTC

Was going to ask how that was misbehavior but it seems work is blocking the image that was attached at the bottom.

Seems like a very strange case this one. Anyone have any articles explaining what was going on here? Even the police chief outright admitted the victim was totally innocent and was doing nothing wrong at all. Doesn't even seem there was any interaction between the officers and the victim (well aside the fatal shooting of course).

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:42 pm UTC

Family asks cops to check on 74-year-old vet after surgery, and they break in and kill him

Warning, link auto-plays video farther down the page. Sorry.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:28 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:http://newsfeed.gawker.com/rookie-nypd-officer-indicted-for-killing-unarmed-brookl-1685014771
[image]

I wonder if it's because he's not white.
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:37 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Was going to ask how that was misbehavior but it seems work is blocking the image that was attached at the bottom.

Seems like a very strange case this one. Anyone have any articles explaining what was going on here? Even the police chief outright admitted the victim was totally innocent and was doing nothing wrong at all. Doesn't even seem there was any interaction between the officers and the victim (well aside the fatal shooting of course).

basic rundown without finding the article directly - cops go on normal check of the projects, cop draws gun before entering the stairwell (why? who knows...IIRC they're on a regular "courtesy check"), sees guy who lives in projects in the stairwell, shoots him...immediately...without warning, provocation, anything. that's police misbehavior. the image was Farnsworth saying "good news everyone", because a cop is actually being indicted for shooting an unarmed person

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:47 am UTC

I know I should see it as good news, but I am unable to see past the fact that it had to go to a grand jury; he should have been arrested immediately and charged.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:01 am UTC

Because all felony indictments in Virginia have to go through a grand jury.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:09 am UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Because all felony indictments in Virginia have to go through a grand jury.

Sorry, wasn't clear. For everyone else, they would be arrested in charged immediately and thrown in jail. He was allowed to walk free pending the Grand Jury decision.

TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:13 am UTC

Actually disregard my previous post, I clicked the wrong link; the case you're talking about happened in New York, not Virginia.
Not even sporange.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:16 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Actually disregard my previous post, I clicked the wrong link; the case you're talking about happened in New York, not Virginia.

Though the defendant can waive the right, New York also pretty much requires a Grand Jury indictment for felonies as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_juri ... s#New_York

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:44 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:
Chen wrote:Was going to ask how that was misbehavior but it seems work is blocking the image that was attached at the bottom.

basic rundown without finding the article directly - cops go on normal check of the projects, cop draws gun before entering the stairwell (why? who knows...IIRC they're on a regular "courtesy check"), sees guy who lives in projects in the stairwell, shoots him...immediately...without warning, provocation, anything. that's police misbehavior. the image was Farnsworth saying "good news everyone", because a cop is actually being indicted for shooting an unarmed person

EBWOP: apparently the officer didn't shoot him directly as I remembered the original story, he shot at him (because he was walking up the stairs with his gun drawn, and pointed in front of him with his finger on the trigger the whole time) and the bullet richoted off the wall and hit the guy.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:30 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:EBWOP: apparently the officer didn't shoot him directly as I remembered the original story, he shot at him (because he was walking up the stairs with his gun drawn, and pointed in front of him with his finger on the trigger the whole time) and the bullet richoted off the wall and hit the guy.

I'm not even sure this is better than it being a malicious act. Gun out, finger on trigger in an apparently pitch dark corridor. That's disastrous lack of judgement and ignoring of training. If the other things I've read about them not bothering to call for help or go help the person for several minutes is true too, then damn this is pretty bad.

He apparently pleaded not-guilty to the charges, though I'm not really sure what the defense would be. Even if it was an accident, I can't see how you get away from the negligent homicide charge.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:41 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
DSenette wrote:EBWOP: apparently the officer didn't shoot him directly as I remembered the original story, he shot at him (because he was walking up the stairs with his gun drawn, and pointed in front of him with his finger on the trigger the whole time) and the bullet richoted off the wall and hit the guy.

I'm not even sure this is better than it being a malicious act. Gun out, finger on trigger in an apparently pitch dark corridor. That's disastrous lack of judgement and ignoring of training. If the other things I've read about them not bothering to call for help or go help the person for several minutes is true too, then damn this is pretty bad.

He apparently pleaded not-guilty to the charges, though I'm not really sure what the defense would be. Even if it was an accident, I can't see how you get away from the negligent homicide charge.

oh, it's not better in any way. it's not even like they were responding to a call for an active shooter....they were just doing a standard "ghetto check".....like, a cop is supposed to just check the stairwells and stuff in the projects regularly. why in the world did you have your gun out at all?

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:41 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:
Chen wrote:

oh, it's not better in any way. it's not even like they were responding to a call for an active shooter....they were just doing a standard "ghetto check".....like, a cop is supposed to just check the stairwells and stuff in the projects regularly. why in the world did you have your gun out at all?

Finger on the trigger is not supposed to happen until you are pointing at a target you intend to shoot. You don't put your finger on it at any other time. This is one of the basic rules of firearm safety that essentially everyone is taught.

It's like an officer running over someone because he couldn't be bothered to look behind him before backing up. Obvious negligence.

sevenperforce

Postby sevenperforce » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:21 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:
Chen wrote:He apparently pleaded not-guilty to the charges, though I'm not really sure what the defense would be. Even if it was an accident, I can't see how you get away from the negligent homicide charge.

"Why in the world did you have your gun out at all?"

Not to be too controversial, but...

A cop should not draw a loaded firearm (except for safety, maintenance, or demonstration purposes) while on active duty unless an immediate, credible, serious threat to his safety or the safety of someone else exists.

Note that I didn't say "unless he believes" because that should not be the rule. The rule is whether an actual threat exists. A police officer who consistently judges incorrectly about whether a threat exists is a hazard to himself and to others and should eventually be discharged from duty.

If you draw your firearm (obvious exceptions excluded) and no actual threat exists, you should be written up. If you're written up enough times you should be suspended. Without pay. And eventually, if the issue remains, you should be fired. It's that simple.

Alexius

Postby Alexius » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:46 pm UTC

sevenperforce wrote:A cop should not draw a loaded firearm (except for safety, maintenance, or demonstration purposes) while on active duty unless an immediate, credible, serious threat to his safety or the safety of someone else exists.

That's not quite true. There are situations where police go through a door with guns drawn because they don't know what is behind the door and if they have to wait until they find out before they draw their guns it's too late.

These situations are rare, and the case in Brooklyn was not one of them, but they do exist. I have actually seen one in person- I have no idea what it was, but as I was cycling past there were police with pistols drawn running into both the front and back doors of a large house in a nice part of town. Given that this was in Britain, where most police do not carry guns, and there were several armed-response vehicles outside it must have been a planned operation where they thought they might need armed officers there.

Unless you are claiming that a closed door which has a significant chance of having an armed and dangerous criminal behind it is an "immediate, credible, serious threat".

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:49 pm UTC

Alexius wrote:Unless you are claiming that a closed door which has a significant chance of having an armed and dangerous criminal behind it is an "immediate, credible, serious threat".

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:37 am UTC

You know how NYC police is having a slowdown?

Record 10 days in a row without murders!

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:22 am UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Because all felony indictments in Virginia have to go through a grand jury.

All civilian felony trials in the United States have to go before a grand jury first. (The courts have generally held that "infamous crime" corresponds to "felony".)

Amendment V wrote: No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; [...]

Note, however, that the grand jury indictment does not have to issue before arrest: People are routinely arrested and held for crimes for which there is probable cause or a court-issued warrant but which the grand jury has not heard.

However, being jailed is not contingent on indictment, before or after. A person may make bond or, if not deemed a flight risk, be released on personal recognizance. Important people often go through a pro forma arrest at the police station or at a bond hearing and are immediately re-released. If a citizen remains locked up before--or after--indictment, it's usually on presumption that they would flee before the grand jury hearing or the trial. So their bond was set high and they couldn't make it (or in really bad cases, no-bond).

As Chen noted for New York, and as applies nationwide, defendants can also waive indictment. Since grand juries will indict ham sandwiches these days, it often is waived as part of defense strategy.

CorruptUser wrote:You know how NYC police is having a slowdown?

Record 10 days in a row without murders!

Wouldn't it be embarrassing if we found out that all those murders were due to police?

Not that I think that is the case. But just imagine.
In all fairness...

TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:17 am UTC

You are mistaken: Federal felony charges must be issued by a grand jury, but that clause of the Fifth Amendment has not been incorporated.
Not even sporange.

sevenperforce

Postby sevenperforce » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:02 am UTC

Thesh wrote:
Alexius wrote:Unless you are claiming that a closed door which has a significant chance of having an armed and dangerous criminal behind it is an "immediate, credible, serious threat".

Or we could simply say that one exception would be "on order of a superior", as would be the case in the instance of a planned maneuver.

Granted, there are plenty of unnecessary police shootings which start as planned maneuvers, but that has a separate cause (I think) from the "lone police officer(s) drawing on everybody right away" problem.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:23 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:

This. In addition, even in such an instance, basic firearm safety should be observed.

sevenperforce

Postby sevenperforce » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:04 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
Thesh wrote:

This. In addition, even in such an instance, basic firearm safety should be observed.

And, to be honest, the vast majority of no-knock guns-drawn warrants are exercises in macho buffoonery, power-tripping, and outright sadism.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:53 pm UTC

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/201 ... al-version
Cops caught on tape lying, when compared to their written report. The police report details how heroic cops caught a burgulary in progress and then was thanked by the mother. The video shows two thugs beating up the employees of the store. I'm not sure what tickles me more, ' you look like a criminal, so I hope you understand why I beat you up' or the fake compliment from the mother that was inserted into the report.

BTW as this department has a history of abuse and incompetence, so I guess its a few more bad apples...that never get tossed.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:11 am UTC

Present for Gmal. Feds may bring lawsuit against Ferguson police for racial discrimination. If there is a case, yay.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:58 pm UTC

More a present for the folks in Ferguson wouldn't you say?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:32 pm UTC

I think he's referring to our argument that it was racism?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:39 pm UTC

Yeah. If they have enough evidence to go ahead, then by all means they should.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:06 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I think he's referring to our argument that it was racism?

I know what he was referring to. This response from the Feds was a given for the department, it always was.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:52 pm UTC

During an effort to make Deron Love confess to child abuse, while in an interrogation room, Officer Rodolfo Gomez savagely beat Love and gouged at his eyes. The problem: Love was chained to the wall at the time.

Gomez was fired and charged with unlawfully beating Love.

Now, Jury acquits fired Milwaukee cop in suspect's beating. His defense presented stills extracted from the interrogation room video, in order to establish that the blows were "open handed". Also, Gomez testified that he forgot that Love was chained to the wall.

I guess that makes it all okay then.

Gomez is appealing his firing, in order to get on disability.

Deron Love? He was acquitted and will now be filing a civil rights case. Which the taxpayers will pay, of course, even as they pay for Gomez' disabililty. Isn't it wonderful how this all works out?
In all fairness...

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:15 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:Now, Jury acquits fired Milwaukee cop in suspect's beating. His defense presented stills extracted from the interrogation room video, in order to establish that the blows were "open handed". Also, Gomez testified that he forgot that Love was chained to the wall.

How...how do you forget that? Like, you're right there. It's in front of your eyes. It's not really a memory taxer.

speising

Postby speising » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:33 pm UTC

that is probably the justification for his disability?

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:41 pm UTC

speising wrote:that is probably the justification for his disability?

If he forgets that rapidly, how'd he remember to file paperwork for it?

Return to “News & Articles”