"1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

"1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Dauric » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:06 pm UTC

Washington Post: Ubiquitous ‘tiny belly’ online ad part of scheme, government says

We've all seen them, more than we'd care to I'm sure. It turns out those "one old tip to..." ads are actually part of a gigantic credit-card phishing scheme, not just terribly prevalent ads for bogus products. The Federal Trade Commission has actually been suing "affiliates" left and right that have been paying to publish these ads.

I'd spoiler the text but it's 4-pages long.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Роберт

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Роберт » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:41 pm UTC

Does this mean they'll hopefully go away? Those ads bug me.

(I should just get ad block and whitelist sites I like.)
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:37 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:Does this mean they'll hopefully go away? Those ads bug me.

(I should just get ad block and whitelist sites I like.)

I have this one old weird trick to not having to see those. Just send me your credit card info.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:37 am UTC

Dauric wrote:We've all seen them, more than we'd care to I'm sure.

Actually, some of us have AdBlock and have no idea at all what this article is talking about.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:50 am UTC

Tirian wrote:
Dauric wrote:We've all seen them, more than we'd care to I'm sure.

Actually, some of us have AdBlock and have no idea at all what this article is talking about.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:55 am UTC

Eat less and exercise more? If that fails, magically change your body type?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:05 am UTC

At my old office we had an argument with a woman who insisted that if you starve yourself, you gain weight. We tried to explain to her that while, yes, plain starvation is not the healthiest (or necessarily quickest) way to lose weight, but the simple fact is that if you eat absolutely nothing you will lose weight.

The problem with some people is not the inability to learn ideas, but the inability to unlearn ideas.

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:29 pm UTC

I love editing my hosts file :)
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:07 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:At my old office we had an argument with a woman who insisted that if you starve yourself, you gain weight. We tried to explain to her that while, yes, plain starvation is not the healthiest (or necessarily quickest) way to lose weight, but the simple fact is that if you eat absolutely nothing you will lose weight.

The problem with some people is not the inability to learn ideas, but the inability to unlearn ideas.

You would not gain weight no. But a common belief is that coming off such a "diet" you would either over eat due to physiological reasons, or the physical/body response would swing back the toher way again. Not sure how correct that is, but starvation is a "bad idea" either way. Eating less though, may not be starvation or as extreme.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Manial

Postby Manial » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:49 am UTC

Technical Ben wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:At my old office we had an argument with a woman who insisted that if you starve yourself, you gain weight. We tried to explain to her that while, yes, plain starvation is not the healthiest (or necessarily quickest) way to lose weight, but the simple fact is that if you eat absolutely nothing you will lose weight.

You would not gain weight no. But a common belief is that coming off such a "diet" you would either over eat due to physiological reasons, or the physical/body response would swing back the toher way again. Not sure how correct that is, but starvation is a "bad idea" either way. Eating less though, may not be starvation or as extreme.
Pretty much. During starvation your basal metabolic rate drops, so when a starved person goes back to eating normally they gain weight back quite rapidly. Add to that the fact that most dieters tend to binge eat after dropping a diet, I would say that most people who completely starve themselves would gain weight in the long run.

Unless they're able to starve themselves permanently, but really if someone has that level of willpower they'd do much better with some exercise and cutting down on sugars and fats.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:48 am UTC

Manial wrote:
Technical Ben wrote:

Pretty much. During starvation your basal metabolic rate drops, so when a starved person goes back to eating normally they gain weight back quite rapidly. Add to that the fact that most dieters tend to binge eat after dropping a diet, I would say that most people who completely starve themselves would gain weight in the long run.

Unless they're able to starve themselves permanently, but really if someone has that level of willpower they'd do much better with some exercise and cutting down on sugars and fats.

That's true not just for people who completely starve themselves. It works like that for all diets that are temporary.

There's nothing wrong with making changes to a diet. Eatier healthier is, well, healthy. But the changes you make should be permanent, or there is little point to it.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:38 pm UTC

JeremyMaher wrote:Couldn't agree with you more. I love AdBlock, I even have it on my jailbroken iPhone.
For this you bumped a three month old thread..?

But indeed, the prevalence of these ads is what finally drove me to install AdBlock. Last time I checked, they continue to proliferate, though perhaps to a slightly lesser degree – it would have been nice if this revelation did indeed shut everything down.

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:22 am UTC

I tend to assume that all advertising on the internet is some sort of scam. If I want something, I go find it, I don't see an ad and say "oh hey let me give these random people my credit card number." I go to sites that I know are legitimate and I work from there. It has served me well. I've been using the internet for 18 or so years and I've never been scammed. (unless you count freecreditreport.com not actually being free... that was my one mistake).
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:00 am UTC

I always knew those ads couldn't be trusted.

It turns out my suspicions were correct...
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

iChef

Postby iChef » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:08 am UTC

Why do these scam ads always seem to be aimed at women with young children? It seems like a huge percentage of the ones I see are "local mom finds secret major corporations don't want you to know about" or "young mother makes huge weight loss discovery using new tropical fruit and a 1/2 farad capacitor plugged directly into her forehead"
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:18 am UTC

iChef wrote:Why do these scam ads always seem to be aimed at women with young children? It seems like a huge percentage of the ones I see are "local mom finds secret major corporations don't want you to know about" or "young mother makes huge weight loss discovery using new tropical fruit and a 1/2 farad capacitor plugged directly into her forehead"

Because, at least in theory, the mother has the required attributes of (a) wanting to know how to regain some aspect of what she sees as her pre-motherhood days (good looks, financial independence, etc), (b) not being as computer savvy as the younger generation, and hence less likely to recognise this as a scam, and (c) a "gossipy" nature which makes her want to be "in" on whatever secret is going around.

Of course all three of those are based on stereotypes, but they're not far from the actual demographic that the ads are targeting (which is gullible people with low self-esteem).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:26 am UTC

Well, where I lurk in the shadows of the undernet, I see a lot of "you are ugly but it doesn't matter, click here for this 1 weird tip to make every woman fuck you", so it's not just women these scams are aimed at.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:33 am UTC

Why do I find myself not being surprised by this news in any way, shape, or form?
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:42 am UTC

ConMan wrote:
iChef wrote:Why do these scam ads always seem to be aimed at women with young children? It seems like a huge percentage of the ones I see are "local mom finds secret major corporations don't want you to know about" or "young mother makes huge weight loss discovery using new tropical fruit and a 1/2 farad capacitor plugged directly into her forehead"

Because, at least in theory, the mother has the required attributes of (a) wanting to know how to regain some aspect of what she sees as her pre-motherhood days (good looks, financial independence, etc), (b) not being as computer savvy as the younger generation, and hence less likely to recognise this as a scam, and (c) a "gossipy" nature which makes her want to be "in" on whatever secret is going around.

Of course all three of those are based on stereotypes, but they're not far from the actual demographic that the ads are targeting (which is gullible people with low self-esteem).
I reckon there is also a notion that a mother would be presenting a straightforward, easily understood solution readily applicable to one's life, as opposed to some more complicated explanation that would require serious thought and require a serious commitment to implement.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:25 am UTC

Doesn't everyone want an easy solution to their not actually easily solvable problems? Kind of a fundamental flaw in human nature.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:06 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Well, where I lurk in the shadows of the undernet, I see a lot of "you are ugly but it doesn't matter, click here for this 1 weird tip to make every woman fuck you", so it's not just women these scams are aimed at.

There's a fairly large number of the "get rid of belly fat" ones with pictures of middle aged men with large bellies. As ConMan said, they target people with low self-esteem.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:38 am UTC

Most of the ones I've seen recently are 1 amazing tip for home refinancing or car insurance or credit debt or something. From my un-economically-and-legally-educated point of view, I don't understand why they can't just shut these suckers down if they're scamming people. Unless their servers are in Ukraine, or something?
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:51 pm UTC

Indeed, I recall a period some ten years ago when something called "Heightmax" was being plugged everywhere, and they got smacked down but good.

I think this campaign is too decentralized, and probably farmed out in part in some sort of multilevel marketing scheme.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:44 am UTC

Locked because it attracts spam like honey attracts beekeepers

Return to “News & Articles”