"1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3998
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

"1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Dauric » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:06 pm UTC

Washington Post: Ubiquitous ‘tiny belly’ online ad part of scheme, government says

We've all seen them, more than we'd care to I'm sure. It turns out those "one old tip to..." ads are actually part of a gigantic credit-card phishing scheme, not just terribly prevalent ads for bogus products. The Federal Trade Commission has actually been suing "affiliates" left and right that have been paying to publish these ads.

I'd spoiler the text but it's 4-pages long.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Роберт » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:41 pm UTC

Does this mean they'll hopefully go away? Those ads bug me.

(I should just get ad block and whitelist sites I like.)
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
folkhero
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby folkhero » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:37 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:Does this mean they'll hopefully go away? Those ads bug me.

(I should just get ad block and whitelist sites I like.)

I have this one old weird trick to not having to see those. Just send me your credit card info.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Tirian
Posts: 1891
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Tirian » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:37 am UTC

Dauric wrote:We've all seen them, more than we'd care to I'm sure.


Actually, some of us have AdBlock and have no idea at all what this article is talking about.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10549
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:50 am UTC

Tirian wrote:
Dauric wrote:We've all seen them, more than we'd care to I'm sure.


Actually, some of us have AdBlock and have no idea at all what this article is talking about.


Image

User avatar
Levi
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Levi » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:55 am UTC

Eat less and exercise more? If that fails, magically change your body type?

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10549
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:05 am UTC

At my old office we had an argument with a woman who insisted that if you starve yourself, you gain weight. We tried to explain to her that while, yes, plain starvation is not the healthiest (or necessarily quickest) way to lose weight, but the simple fact is that if you eat absolutely nothing you will lose weight.

The problem with some people is not the inability to learn ideas, but the inability to unlearn ideas.

User avatar
a_fuzzyduck
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:42 pm UTC
Location: Clydebank
Contact:

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:29 pm UTC

I love editing my hosts file :)
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Technical Ben
Posts: 2986
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Technical Ben » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:07 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:At my old office we had an argument with a woman who insisted that if you starve yourself, you gain weight. We tried to explain to her that while, yes, plain starvation is not the healthiest (or necessarily quickest) way to lose weight, but the simple fact is that if you eat absolutely nothing you will lose weight.

The problem with some people is not the inability to learn ideas, but the inability to unlearn ideas.


You would not gain weight no. But a common belief is that coming off such a "diet" you would either over eat due to physiological reasons, or the physical/body response would swing back the toher way again. Not sure how correct that is, but starvation is a "bad idea" either way. Eating less though, may not be starvation or as extreme.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Manial
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:52 am UTC

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Manial » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:49 am UTC

Technical Ben wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:At my old office we had an argument with a woman who insisted that if you starve yourself, you gain weight. We tried to explain to her that while, yes, plain starvation is not the healthiest (or necessarily quickest) way to lose weight, but the simple fact is that if you eat absolutely nothing you will lose weight.

The problem with some people is not the inability to learn ideas, but the inability to unlearn ideas.


You would not gain weight no. But a common belief is that coming off such a "diet" you would either over eat due to physiological reasons, or the physical/body response would swing back the toher way again. Not sure how correct that is, but starvation is a "bad idea" either way. Eating less though, may not be starvation or as extreme.
Pretty much. During starvation your basal metabolic rate drops, so when a starved person goes back to eating normally they gain weight back quite rapidly. Add to that the fact that most dieters tend to binge eat after dropping a diet, I would say that most people who completely starve themselves would gain weight in the long run.

Unless they're able to starve themselves permanently, but really if someone has that level of willpower they'd do much better with some exercise and cutting down on sugars and fats.

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Diadem » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:48 am UTC

Manial wrote:
Technical Ben wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:At my old office we had an argument with a woman who insisted that if you starve yourself, you gain weight. We tried to explain to her that while, yes, plain starvation is not the healthiest (or necessarily quickest) way to lose weight, but the simple fact is that if you eat absolutely nothing you will lose weight.

The problem with some people is not the inability to learn ideas, but the inability to unlearn ideas.


You would not gain weight no. But a common belief is that coming off such a "diet" you would either over eat due to physiological reasons, or the physical/body response would swing back the toher way again. Not sure how correct that is, but starvation is a "bad idea" either way. Eating less though, may not be starvation or as extreme.
Pretty much. During starvation your basal metabolic rate drops, so when a starved person goes back to eating normally they gain weight back quite rapidly. Add to that the fact that most dieters tend to binge eat after dropping a diet, I would say that most people who completely starve themselves would gain weight in the long run.

Unless they're able to starve themselves permanently, but really if someone has that level of willpower they'd do much better with some exercise and cutting down on sugars and fats.

That's true not just for people who completely starve themselves. It works like that for all diets that are temporary.

There's nothing wrong with making changes to a diet. Eatier healthier is, well, healthy. But the changes you make should be permanent, or there is little point to it.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Jorpho » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:38 pm UTC

JeremyMaher wrote:Couldn't agree with you more. I love AdBlock, I even have it on my jailbroken iPhone.
For this you bumped a three month old thread..?

But indeed, the prevalence of these ads is what finally drove me to install AdBlock. Last time I checked, they continue to proliferate, though perhaps to a slightly lesser degree – it would have been nice if this revelation did indeed shut everything down.

User avatar
Metaphysician
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:58 pm UTC
Location: WV, The Tenth Circle of Hell

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Metaphysician » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:22 am UTC

I tend to assume that all advertising on the internet is some sort of scam. If I want something, I go find it, I don't see an ad and say "oh hey let me give these random people my credit card number." I go to sites that I know are legitimate and I work from there. It has served me well. I've been using the internet for 18 or so years and I've never been scammed. (unless you count freecreditreport.com not actually being free... that was my one mistake).
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut

User avatar
Triangle_Man
WINNING
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 8:41 pm UTC
Location: CANADA

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:00 am UTC

I always knew those ads couldn't be trusted.

It turns out my suspicions were correct...
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

User avatar
iChef
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:33 pm UTC
Location: About 5 cm. south of the ring finger, USA.

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby iChef » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:08 am UTC

Why do these scam ads always seem to be aimed at women with young children? It seems like a huge percentage of the ones I see are "local mom finds secret major corporations don't want you to know about" or "young mother makes huge weight loss discovery using new tropical fruit and a 1/2 farad capacitor plugged directly into her forehead"
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby ConMan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:18 am UTC

iChef wrote:Why do these scam ads always seem to be aimed at women with young children? It seems like a huge percentage of the ones I see are "local mom finds secret major corporations don't want you to know about" or "young mother makes huge weight loss discovery using new tropical fruit and a 1/2 farad capacitor plugged directly into her forehead"

Because, at least in theory, the mother has the required attributes of (a) wanting to know how to regain some aspect of what she sees as her pre-motherhood days (good looks, financial independence, etc), (b) not being as computer savvy as the younger generation, and hence less likely to recognise this as a scam, and (c) a "gossipy" nature which makes her want to be "in" on whatever secret is going around.

Of course all three of those are based on stereotypes, but they're not far from the actual demographic that the ads are targeting (which is gullible people with low self-esteem).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10549
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:26 am UTC

Well, where I lurk in the shadows of the undernet, I see a lot of "you are ugly but it doesn't matter, click here for this 1 weird tip to make every woman fuck you", so it's not just women these scams are aimed at.

User avatar
cjmcjmcjmcjm
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 am UTC
Location: Anywhere the internet is strong

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:33 am UTC

Why do I find myself not being surprised by this news in any way, shape, or form?
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Jorpho » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:42 am UTC

ConMan wrote:
iChef wrote:Why do these scam ads always seem to be aimed at women with young children? It seems like a huge percentage of the ones I see are "local mom finds secret major corporations don't want you to know about" or "young mother makes huge weight loss discovery using new tropical fruit and a 1/2 farad capacitor plugged directly into her forehead"

Because, at least in theory, the mother has the required attributes of (a) wanting to know how to regain some aspect of what she sees as her pre-motherhood days (good looks, financial independence, etc), (b) not being as computer savvy as the younger generation, and hence less likely to recognise this as a scam, and (c) a "gossipy" nature which makes her want to be "in" on whatever secret is going around.

Of course all three of those are based on stereotypes, but they're not far from the actual demographic that the ads are targeting (which is gullible people with low self-esteem).
I reckon there is also a notion that a mother would be presenting a straightforward, easily understood solution readily applicable to one's life, as opposed to some more complicated explanation that would require serious thought and require a serious commitment to implement.

User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:25 am UTC

Doesn't everyone want an easy solution to their not actually easily solvable problems? Kind of a fundamental flaw in human nature.

Chen
Posts: 5580
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Chen » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:06 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Well, where I lurk in the shadows of the undernet, I see a lot of "you are ugly but it doesn't matter, click here for this 1 weird tip to make every woman fuck you", so it's not just women these scams are aimed at.


There's a fairly large number of the "get rid of belly fat" ones with pictures of middle aged men with large bellies. As ConMan said, they target people with low self-esteem.

User avatar
Cathy
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:31 am UTC
Location: TX, USA

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Cathy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:38 am UTC

Most of the ones I've seen recently are 1 amazing tip for home refinancing or car insurance or credit debt or something. From my un-economically-and-legally-educated point of view, I don't understand why they can't just shut these suckers down if they're scamming people. Unless their servers are in Ukraine, or something?
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Jorpho » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:51 pm UTC

Indeed, I recall a period some ten years ago when something called "Heightmax" was being plugged everywhere, and they got smacked down but good.

I think this campaign is too decentralized, and probably farmed out in part in some sort of multilevel marketing scheme.

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7604
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: "1-tip" ads used to harvest credit card numbers

Postby Zamfir » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:44 am UTC

Locked because it attracts spam like honey attracts beekeepers


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Zamfir and 22 guests