Police taze and beat underaged mentally handicapped boy.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

vodka.cobra

Police taze and beat underaged mentally handicapped boy.

Postby vodka.cobra » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:23 pm UTC

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/06/29/37770.htm
DAYTON, Ohio (CN) - Dayton police "mistook" a mentally handicapped teenager's speech impediment for "disrespect," so they Tasered, pepper-sprayed and beat him and called for backup from "upward of 20 police officers" after the boy rode his bicycle home to ask his mother for help, the boy's mom says.

This doesn't seem fake, and that sickens me.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Re: Police taze and beat underaged mentally handicapped boy.

Postby Telchar » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:39 pm UTC

Holy shit.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:50 pm UTC

Please, God, let there be hell to pay for this.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

A speech impediment being 'disrespect'? What about the whole freedom of speech thing that the Americans are generally so proud of?

This is terrible.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:09 pm UTC

Angua wrote:A speech impediment being 'disrespect'? What about the whole freedom of speech thing that the Americans are generally so proud of?

If an officer is totally uneducated regarding mental disabilities and speech impediments, then they can conclude that someone's speech impediment is 'disrespectful'. Sort of like if an officer is totally unaware of the concept of mental disabilities in general, they can interpret any action as resisting arrest.

One thing I noticed in the original article, though:
"At no point, even after being advised of Jesse's mental challenge/handicap by Jesse's family and numerous bystanders, did defendant Hooper, defendant Howard, or any other police officer present, attempt to communicate with Jesse or explain in terms he could understand as to why Jesse was being chased.

So it is just a lack of understanding, or an unwillingness to understand? If it's the latter, it's a far worse problem than just plain ignorance. KF
~Kizyr

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

I may have been unclear - my point was that even if he was being disrespectful, the whole freedom of speech thing should surely protect him from the police for it.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

MonkeyBoy

Postby MonkeyBoy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:22 pm UTC

But surely these are just a couple individual bad apples, and not remotely indicative of any sort of large-scale problem with the way law enforcement is approached in this country... just like the last couple of individual, non-large-scale-problem-indicating bad apples before them... and the ones before that, and the ones before that... :roll:

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:58 pm UTC

This shit wouldn't fly in my city (and if it would... well, things would change come the next election)

But this being specific to the Dayton Police Force, not much we can do about it unless we live there.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

Jesse was charged with assault on a peace officer, resisting arrest, and obstructing official business.

Now THAT is bold. Ironically, the charges were dropped because the victim was incompetent.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:55 pm UTC

I'm hoping everyone who took part in that savagery loses their job and faces legal consequences. Prison time. Whole nine yards.

I know that's just a pipe dream.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:48 pm UTC

Inb4 podbaydoor complains about the anti-police bias
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:50 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:
Jesse was charged with assault on a peace officer, resisting arrest, and obstructing official business.

Now THAT is bold. Ironically, the charges were dropped because the victim was incompetent.

Honestly leutenant, we tried to arrest him but he kept hitting our batons with his head and body, in the end we pepper sprayed him for his own safety!
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

LtNOWIS

Postby LtNOWIS » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:19 pm UTC

MonkeyBoy wrote:But surely these are just a couple individual bad apples, and not remotely indicative of any sort of large-scale problem with the way law enforcement is approached in this country... just like the last couple of individual, non-large-scale-problem-indicating bad apples before them... and the ones before that, and the ones before that... :roll:

It's a big country. Only policing gone wrong makes news; the thousands of police departments that don't have incidents like this one don't make the news. That isn't to say law enforcement is free of problems, but reading a series of news articles about single incidents is a pretty poor way to figure out larger trends.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:27 pm UTC

LtNOWIS wrote:
MonkeyBoy wrote:But surely these are just a couple individual bad apples, and not remotely indicative of any sort of large-scale problem with the way law enforcement is approached in this country... just like the last couple of individual, non-large-scale-problem-indicating bad apples before them... and the ones before that, and the ones before that... :roll:

It's a big country. Only policing gone wrong makes news; the thousands of police departments that don't have incidents like this one don't make the news. That isn't to say law enforcement is free of problems, but reading a series of news articles about single incidents is a pretty poor way to figure out larger trends.

It's always foolish to extrapolate from a severely biased and miniscule set of data. But that's not the topic here.

The topic here is, "Group of ~20 officers does something highly immoral."

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:49 pm UTC

No, the topic here is "Dayton police are not actually capable of police work, as they reckon it needs around two dozen of them to arrest a 17 year old with learning difficulties".

If they're not all sacked, then whoever prevents that is also incompetent, since they support the idea of police officers NOT KNOWING how to handle arresting a single minor on their own. And if that person isn't sacked, ET CETERA.
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:08 pm UTC

The 20 officers involved ought to be charged with impersonating a police force.

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

scarecrovv wrote:The 20 officers involved ought to be charged with impersonating a police force.
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

The article doesn't appear to say what the 20 police officers did when they arrived. The article says the two initial officers tasered, pepper sprayed and hit the teenager. Unless you're privy to more information I don't see how you can blame the police officers that arrived on the scene later. For all we know just one of them arrested him while the other 21 stood around.
Ⓞⓞ◯

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:10 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:The article doesn't appear to say what the 20 police officers did when they arrived. The article says the two initial officers tasered, pepper sprayed and hit the teenager. Unless you're privy to more information I don't see how you can blame the police officers that arrived on the scene later. For all we know just one of them arrested him while the other 21 stood around.

I can blame them for being complicit in this gross display of incompetence.

You'd think with 20 people one might go, "So, how about that due process and/or methods we're supposed to follow to do our jobs?"

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:25 am UTC

We don't know the situation. Condemning 20 police officers when all we know about them is that they were present at some point seems presumptuous and over the top.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:35 am UTC

Hmm, yes, let's not be ... disrespectful... towards the 20 cops who either took part in or stood around with their thumbs up their asses while the others tasered and beat a mentally handicapped boy.

Glass Fractal

Postby Glass Fractal » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:37 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:The article doesn't appear to say what the 20 police officers did when they arrived. The article says the two initial officers tasered, pepper sprayed and hit the teenager. Unless you're privy to more information I don't see how you can blame the police officers that arrived on the scene later. For all we know just one of them arrested him while the other 21 stood around.

According to the complaint that was filed they're being accused of arriving and then just watching him being beaten. For some inconceivable reason the mother probably thinks that they should have at least tried to stop the abuse of her son.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:43 am UTC

Do you have a quote or link for that, Glass Fractal? I don't see anything saying that in the article in the first post.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:44 am UTC

What jackass is telling these police officers that we have a legal responsibility not to be disrespectful?

Cause, you know, we don't.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Glass Fractal

Postby Glass Fractal » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:57 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:Do you have a quote or link for that, Glass Fractal? I don't see anything saying that in the article in the first post.

"At no point ... did defendant Hooper, defendant Howard, or any other police officer present, attempt to communicate with Jesse or explain in terms he could understand."

Sounds to me like they did nothing. The copy of the case file also lists "Gross Negligence and Recklessness", which also sounds like sitting around doing nothing. If they had joined in the attack we would definitely know. They certainly didn't try to stop it since none of them even tried to explain what was happening.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:06 am UTC

A lack of communication with the teenager does not mean a lack of intervention. Yes, we can say "I assume they did X. If they did, that's pretty damn terrible and they should be disciplined and maybe lose their jobs." but we cannot say "They should all lose their jobs and go to jail."

It's a small distinction and I only meant it to be a slight interjection, but I felt the need to explain.
Ⓞⓞ◯

addams

Postby addams » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:39 am UTC

Here is a subject that is near and dear to my heart. There are many reasons for that. Some personal some public.
I think that there is a problem. What is the Problem? We must define the problem before we can solve it. Here are some of my guesses.

1. The Police do not understand their Mission. When they are on the job, then, they work for us. To Protect and to Serve. Right?

2. The Police are not qualified to do the job. There is a chance that the Police in some towns are severely undereducated in anything, except, security.
2.a) This could be a problem. All the continuing education that the men and women that wear our Police uniforms take is in aggressive tactics. (Could be.)

3. Aggressive Tactics and justification of wrong doing may be a fun part of the job. (It is possible.)

I think that the first reasonable move is for the People of the United States to ask that all Police Personal take the SAT as a condition of continued employment. It is important that we know. I have heard that these men and women may have low scores.
If, they have the reading comprehension, computational abilities and writing skills of fifth graders, then, we have a right to know.

I managed to get myself in jail. Whoa! There is no fun at all. They did not keep me long. Thank God. Yet; I did see that our system is frightening. It could happen to anyone. Anyone. There is an understanding of that fact that was an intellectual foundation stone of our civil lives that seems to have been damaged.

As a citizen I an frightened of the Police.
These should be the people that we run to, not, from.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Golgavar

Postby Golgavar » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:06 am UTC

It sounds like that article was just a *tad* biased.
From 'Dayton Daily News':(Can't post links yet)
According to the police incident report, Hooper first saw the boy, later identified as Kersey, riding his bike the wrong way down on Andrews Street. When Kersey spotted the police cruiser he started riding on the sidewalk. When Hooper yelled for Kersey to stop, the boy took off up St. Paul Avenue, dumping his bike in front of his house. Finding the front door locked, Kersey turned on Hooper, who had mounted the front porch to issue Kersey a bicycle citation, and began to struggle, according to the police report. “Kersey started swinging his arms at Officer Hooper and yelling in an unintelligible language,” according to the police report.

Hooper attempted to take control of Kersey, but had to fight off his mother and later a family friend. It turned into a donnybrook in the kitchen as Hopper and Officer Howard, who arrived as backup, struggled to subdue Kersey, while keeping the mother and family friend out of the fray. At one point, dispatchers called for all officers in East Dayton to respond to the scene.

Neither Tasing nor pepper spray were effective. Officers used physical strikes and baton strikes to the thigh to take Kersey to the ground and handcuff him. It took several officers to get Kersey to a police cruiser, at one point placing his feet in a hobble so he could no longer kick them.

I think the police could have handled the situation better, but this is not a case of police brutality, just a newspaper trying to make a sensational story out of an unfortunate incident.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:36 am UTC

Angua wrote:I may have been unclear - my point was that even if he was being disrespectful, the whole freedom of speech thing should surely protect him from the police for it.

No no, you were clear. I was just building off of the point you raised. Speaking of which:
Kag wrote:What jackass is telling these police officers that we have a legal responsibility not to be disrespectful?
Cause, you know, we don't.

Legally, no -- not to mention that I'm not sure how you would legally define a "respectful tone" in a case like this. Practically, though, doing something that'd be construed as "disrespect" to a police officer in a foul mood seems to end up looking as if it were a legal responsibility.
I'm saying what most people on this thread already know by this point, I think...

Tirian wrote:Now THAT is bold. Ironically, the charges were dropped because the victim was incompetent.

I think you may have misread the article (I did too the first time around). The charges were dropped because Jesse (the 17-year old here) was deemed mentally incompetent and, therefore, wouldn't even have been capable of any of the charges against him. The "victim" in that set of charges was the police officer. KF
~Kizyr

Zcorp

Postby Zcorp » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:54 am UTC

Golgavar wrote:It sounds like that article was just a *tad* biased.
From 'Dayton Daily News':(Can't post links yet)
According to the police incident report, Hooper first saw the boy, later identified as Kersey, riding his bike the wrong way down on Andrews Street. When Kersey spotted the police cruiser he started riding on the sidewalk. When Hooper yelled for Kersey to stop, the boy took off up St. Paul Avenue, dumping his bike in front of his house. Finding the front door locked, Kersey turned on Hooper, who had mounted the front porch to issue Kersey a bicycle citation, and began to struggle, according to the police report. “Kersey started swinging his arms at Officer Hooper and yelling in an unintelligible language,” according to the police report.

Hooper attempted to take control of Kersey, but had to fight off his mother and later a family friend. It turned into a donnybrook in the kitchen as Hopper and Officer Howard, who arrived as backup, struggled to subdue Kersey, while keeping the mother and family friend out of the fray. At one point, dispatchers called for all officers in East Dayton to respond to the scene.

Neither Tasing nor pepper spray were effective. Officers used physical strikes and baton strikes to the thigh to take Kersey to the ground and handcuff him. It took several officers to get Kersey to a police cruiser, at one point placing his feet in a hobble so he could no longer kick them.

I think the police could have handled the situation better, but this is not a case of police brutality, just a newspaper trying to make a sensational story out of an unfortunate incident.

Err, so you are suggesting the article is a *tad* biased citing the Police Report as the more accurate source of information? A police report that states that the mentally handicapped boy was aware enough (and he might of been there is little indication of his level of handicap) to notice the officer while biking and chose to get on to the side walk to avoid attention. This boy then rode home and the officer chose to pursue to give him a citation for "riding his bike the wrong way down a street." Pursued him (even though he was familiar with the boy, and maybe the house) to his front door and enter the personal space of the mentally handicapped kid (who the officer must of recognized at this point) to the point that the kid felt threatened enough to attack the officer. Who in response attempted to Tase the kid and failed. When the mother came to help her son the officer Tased the kid in the back. When the mother removed the probe of the Taser the officer continued to chase the mentally handicapped child into his house. In response to the officer the mother and a friend tried to prevent the officer from harming her kid who had twice been shot at with Taser by an officer who must of been aware of the identify of the kid at this point.

The end result being the officers beating the kid with batons and 'physical strikes' to the point where they felt he should go to the hospital before being taken to the police station. The mother an the friend were convicted with resisting arrest, the mothers jail time was waived although she is required to attend an anger management program. While the friend must spend 12 days in jail.

Oh and the police were exonerated of any wrong doing.

The way Hooper handled this non-situation, according to the police report, is amazingly brutal even if the kid wasn't handicapped. Because he was it was also idiotic to an extreme. To point out how absurd the idea of citing someone for riding 'on the wrong side of the street' was in this situation, below is a link to the map of the street which you can then see with street view.

Andrews St, Dayton Ohio, the nerve of kids these days riding on "the wrong side" of a tiny residential street that has stop signs on both ends and nothing to indicate any side of street at all. Then to even get out of the way when a car drives by, how rude. Taze and beat them all I say. God forbid they play roller hockey or catch in the middle of street such as Andrews. At that point there would be no solution except to bring out the bean bag shotgun rounds. That'll teach um to disrupt the peace.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:06 am UTC

Is it bad that I want there to be rioting over this? And that part of me wishes an angry mob would lynch the officers involved? Actually, when was the last time a corrupt cop was lynched?
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:26 am UTC

Kizyr wrote:
Tirian wrote:Now THAT is bold. Ironically, the charges were dropped because the victim was incompetent.

I think you may have misread the article (I did too the first time around). The charges were dropped because Jesse (the 17-year old here) was deemed mentally incompetent and, therefore, wouldn't even have been capable of any of the charges against him. The "victim" in that set of charges was the police officer. KF

Thank you for your concern, but no. Even granting the expanded story, I'm saying that it is ironic that the boy was found incompetent when it is the police officers who elevated an instantly-corrected traffic violation (a bicycle violation, no less) to a chase and apprehension that evidently necessitated use of their entire "non-violent" arsenal. That demonstrates an astonishing lack of perspective. Write the damned ticket and hand it to his mother, Columbo, don't enter the house and then start fighting with everyone who is trying to defend the child against your assault. I guess not, that would require calming down and actually living up to the title of "peace officer".

Your curious notion that the police officers were the victims in this exchange seems to have left me incoherent with rage, so I'll leave it open for someone else to dissect.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:37 am UTC

Aikanaro wrote:Is it bad that I want there to be rioting over this? And that part of me wishes an angry mob would lynch the officers involved? Actually, when was the last time a corrupt cop was lynched?

Oh yes, of course. Death for violence. A head for an eye. That's a wonderful way to meter justice.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:25 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:
Aikanaro wrote:Is it bad that I want there to be rioting over this? And that part of me wishes an angry mob would lynch the officers involved? Actually, when was the last time a corrupt cop was lynched?

Oh yes, of course. Death for violence. A head for an eye. That's a wonderful way to meter justice.

It gets shit done* quicker.

* See also, reckless suicide.

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:instantly-corrected traffic violation

Point of order: riding your bike on the sidewalk is also illegal and dangerous.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

quantumcat42

Postby quantumcat42 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:50 pm UTC

Kag wrote:

It's not illegal in Ohio.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

addams wrote:I think that the first reasonable move is for the People of the United States to ask that all Police Personal take the SAT as a condition of continued employment. It is important that we know. I have heard that these men and women may have low scores.
If, they have the reading comprehension, computational abilities and writing skills of fifth graders, then, we have a right to know.
Actually, I don't care about their reading comprehension and math skills. I don't much care if a police officer knows how long the hypotenuse of a right triangle is given the lengths of the legs.

Golgavar wrote:
Finding the front door locked, Kersey turned on Hooper, who had mounted the front porch to issue Kersey a bicycle citation, and began to struggle, according to the police report. “Kersey started swinging his arms at Officer Hooper and yelling in an unintelligible language,” according to the police report.

There's no mention of why it was necessary to "take control of Kersey". The door was locked and he found himself trapped on the porch with a cop who'd been chasing him. Any mention of why the officer didn't, y'know, just back up a few feet and attempt to appear less threatening?

Kag wrote:
...yes (some places), and it's...instantly corrected.

I don't think ANYONE is of the opinion that the officer should never have engaged in the first place. The problem is that instead of just ticketing the boy, it was deemed necessary to first physically subdue the everloving crap of him, instead of making any attempt to talk him down from his elevated emotions.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Zcorp

Postby Zcorp » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:21 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:
Kag wrote:
...yes (some places), and it's...instantly corrected.

I don't think ANYONE is of the opinion that the officer should never have engaged in the first place. The problem is that instead of just ticketing the boy, it was deemed necessary to first physically subdue the everloving crap of him, instead of making any attempt to talk him down from his elevated emotions.

Even if it was illegal in Ohio, Andrews is not the kind of Street that such a law should ever be relevant to for citation. So yes in this instance and after looking at the street I AM suggesting the officer never should of engaged in the first place.

I'll provide a link to the street again, open this link and open the street view and try to make a decent argument that riding on the wrong side of that street is something the officer should 'engaged' anyone for.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:00 pm UTC

Zcorp wrote:I'll provide a link to the street again, open this link and open the street view and try to make a decent argument that riding on the wrong side of that street is something the officer should 'engaged' anyone for.

It's potentially dangerous to bystanders and/or himself. And might be indicative of a willingness to ignore the rules for biking on a street where doing so is more problematic.

It's the same reason that people are told not to run the red light in their cars, even if the other roads are entirely empty. It's a dangerous habit, even if each specific instance of it isn't dangerous.

The officer was completely in the right to try and engage the kid. The mistakes happened when this escalated into a non-justified scene of violence. Which is hard to judge, because we don't actually know how badly handicapped Kersey is, it is stated that he attacked the police - we don't know what prompted that, and we can't assume a normal reaction from Kersey, since one of the things abut dealing with mentally handicapped is that they can feel threatened by things you don't expect, and many of them have less inhibitions about escalating to violence.
It might have been the officer saying "look son, I followed you here just to tell you not to do that shit, we have rules about it for a reason" - or it might be a non-justified reaction from the officer, which I'm personally inclined to think, since he should (at least in theory) be educated about how to deal with mentally challenged people.

Ohh, and the part about there being 20 officers - the standard reaction to a cop being assaulted (even if he prompted it himself) is to order all personal in the vicinity to hurry to the scene. Which I might add, is a quite reasonable policy
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Zcorp

Postby Zcorp » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

Ulc wrote:It's potentially dangerous to bystanders and/or himself. And might be indicative of a willingness to ignore the rules for biking on a street where doing so is more problematic.

It's the same reason that people are told not to run the red light in their cars, even if the other roads are entirely empty. It's a dangerous habit, even if each specific instance of it isn't dangerous.
Yes because this officer displayed such horrible judgement we must assume that every kid riding his bike on a tiny residential street next to their house suggests defiant behavior toward road safety and the expressed behavior is a habit rather than displaying reasonable judgement of the circumstance of that street. Judgement that included moving out of the way when even the very remote possibility of danger presented itself.

No sir, the cop was not 'in the right' the cop used poor judgement in deciding this was a situation that warranted his intervention at all. And yes he continued to show poor judgement throughout the rest of the event but it was absolutely foolish to try to cite anyone for riding a bike on that street and moving out of the way when a car came.

Return to “News & Articles”