Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School
Posts: 1374
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby Radical_Initiator » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
Chen wrote:
Dauric wrote:Clearly all airlines must be refitted with suspended animation chambers, all passengers will be sedated and kept in medical comas for the entire flight. It even solves problems with airline food and reclining seats.


The way things are going the likely implementation of this would be naked and shackled to your seat for the whole flight.


Yeah, but you'd be in a coma so the shackles help keep you from falling out of the seat.


And the coma also helps with the nakedness, so that you don't have time to ogle/vomit because of other people's junk.
I looked out across the river today …

User avatar
Sockmonkey
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:30 pm UTC

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby Sockmonkey » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:58 pm UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:Yeah, I realize post-9/11 security measures are ineffective, I'm just having flashbacks to racial profiling arguments in SB (or possibly here, I forget).

Fair enough. I did come off a kinda racist-ish.

Chen
Posts: 5580
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby Chen » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:Yeah, but you'd be in a coma so the shackles help keep you from falling out of the seat.


And the coma also helps with the nakedness, so that you don't have time to ogle/vomit because of other people's junk.[/quote]

You've convinced me, shackles, nakedness and comas for all....hmm taken out of the context of this discussion that doesn't look right at all :P

User avatar
Levi
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby Levi » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:16 pm UTC

The part of this article that everyone should be talking about is that transportation would be cheaper if we ran our cars on jet fuel.

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3998
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby Dauric » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:26 pm UTC

Levi wrote:The part of this article that everyone should be talking about is that transportation would be cheaper if we ran our cars on jet fuel.


See! It's the future, where is my Flying Car?!?!
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:41 pm UTC
Location: The Universe

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby thicknavyrain » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:39 pm UTC

"If you kids don't behave I will TURN this plane right back around and we'll all just go home!"

"But he reclined his..."

"That's it, we're going home"

Is what I like to imagine the conversation went.

Also, how many fighter jets is exactly needed to deal with something like this...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:42 pm UTC

My complete 100% guess: two.

One to do the job and one to be backup.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26824
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:01 pm UTC

Enough to shoot it down if it looks like it's going to try and crash into something.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:28 pm UTC

Vermont's Green Mountain Boys, a squadron of stunt pilots, were dispatched at 9/11, and were the first to arrive (within like 6m of the first crash). They were evidently told to take down any threats by any means necessary, which is scary given that they weren't carrying weapons.

I do wonder if that's an urban legend.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3998
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby Dauric » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Vermont's Green Mountain Boys, a squadron of stunt pilots, were dispatched at 9/11, and were the first to arrive (within like 6m of the first crash). They were evidently told to take down any threats by any means necessary, which is scary given that they weren't carrying weapons.

I do wonder if that's an urban legend.


I think so. Green Mountain Boys is the informal name of the entire Vermont National Guard, including the Air National Guard.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

User avatar
Solt
Posts: 1912
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:08 am UTC
Location: California

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby Solt » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:34 am UTC

Cathy wrote:Pretty much this right here. I've been researching costs for my incoming honeymoon, and 9 months out, it costs 600-800 dollars per person to fly from Texas to California. It also costs 600-800 dollars to fly to Puerto Rico and Europe and South America. WTF? The international flights would be hours and hours longer and have much more food and amenities, but the cost is exactly the same as a 3 hours flight across the nation?


I realize this is slightly OT, but what the hell are you smoking?

http://www.aa.com/reservation/matrixFli ... 8007163-74

First place I looked, $95 one way, for a round trip total of $211.80 after taxes.

You're welcome?
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Randomizer
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:23 am UTC
Location: My walls are full of hungry wolves.
Contact:

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby Randomizer » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:27 am UTC

Flight prices are pretty varied. I've paid out the ass on tickets before, so it's not like that kind of pricing is unheard of. It can be really bad around the holidays or if you don't book a flight far enough in advance.
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.

User avatar
Cathy
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:31 am UTC
Location: TX, USA

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby Cathy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:38 am UTC

San Antonio,TX to Monteray,CA. 9 months in advance it's 500 dollars per person.

Airplanes tickets suck.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

User avatar
SummerGlauFan
Posts: 1746
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:27 pm UTC
Location: KS

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:42 am UTC

Dauric wrote:Clearly all airlines must be refitted with suspended animation chambers, all passengers will be sedated and kept in medical comas for the entire flight. It even solves problems with airline food and reclining seats.


This sounds like an intro for a sci-fi horror movie...
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"


Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Manial
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:52 am UTC

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby Manial » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:54 am UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:"If you kids don't behave I will TURN this plane right back around and we'll all just go home!"

"But he reclined his..."

"That's it, we're going home"

Is what I like to imagine the conversation went.

Also, how many fighter jets is exactly needed to deal with something like this...
I have to admit, this was the first thing I thought of as well.

User avatar
Arancaytar
Posts: 1642
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:54 am UTC
Location: 52.44°N, 13.55°E
Contact:

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby Arancaytar » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:47 am UTC

Dauric wrote:Clearly all airlines must be refitted with suspended animation chambers, all passengers will be sedated and kept in medical comas for the entire flight. It even solves problems with airline food and reclining seats.


A medical coma is possibly preferable to actually having to eat airline food...
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.
Image

LtNOWIS
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:21 pm UTC
Location: Fairfax County

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby LtNOWIS » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

Virgin America's efforts to be cool and hip are grating, but their food is pretty great. Nothing like a sandwich, a beer and television to pass time on a long flight.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Posts: 3686
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:12 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby Dark567 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:
Dauric wrote:Clearly all airlines must be refitted with suspended animation chambers, all passengers will be sedated and kept in medical comas for the entire flight. It even solves problems with airline food and reclining seats.


A medical coma is possibly preferable to actually having to eat airline food...

United first class has actually provided me some of the better meals in my life. I haven't eaten the coach meals.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.


Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

I've found that long-distance hauls where they serve dinner and breakfast (or whatever) are actually pretty decent in coach. I never get food on domestic flights anyway (just peanuts or pretzels).
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
SummerGlauFan
Posts: 1746
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:27 pm UTC
Location: KS

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby SummerGlauFan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:52 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I've found that long-distance hauls where they serve dinner and breakfast (or whatever) are actually pretty decent in coach. I never get food on domestic flights anyway (just peanuts or pretzels).


My experience is that only international airlines (by that I mean whose companies are based overseas) serve decent food; U.S. companies still serve slop even on overseas flights, though perhaps of slightly better quality than peanuts and a 1.5-inch high bottle of water.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"


Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

User avatar
Cathy
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:31 am UTC
Location: TX, USA

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby Cathy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:46 am UTC

I've had the same experiences as SummerGlauFan above. A 2-hour flight from the UK to Switzerland? A full dinner meal. A 3 hour flight from Houston to LA? Peanuts and soda.

It seems weird that overseas so much more attention is paid to food and amenities whereas in the US those were the first things to go.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

User avatar
Vash
Posts: 488
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:14 pm UTC
Location: The planet Gunsmoke

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby Vash » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

Cathy wrote:I've had the same experiences as SummerGlauFan above. A 2-hour flight from the UK to Switzerland? A full dinner meal. A 3 hour flight from Houston to LA? Peanuts and soda.

It seems weird that overseas so much more attention is paid to food and amenities whereas in the US those were the first things to go.


Airlines think the key to making money is having bad customer service.

bytbox
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:43 am UTC

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby bytbox » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:07 am UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:
Lucrece wrote:Given that terrorists aren't scared by the thought of 50+ passengers turning on them, I doubt mean-looking meatheads would make much of a difference, especially when guns are involved-- which might as well switch in 5 year olds in and it'd be the same outcome, a corpse filled with bullets. Or just the plane blowing to smithereens from the bomb the terrorist may be carrying.

But, hey, nice-looking security could balance out stewardesses and keep everyone on board happy and entertained with the imagery.

The point isn't to spook terrorists. It's to have someone on board who can and will kick the shit out of one. Less invasive security measures can detect guns without an anal probe.


No, the point is (or should be) to make passengers feel safe. That's about all that normal airport security measures do anyway - this way it could be done cheaper and more conveniently.

Terrorism seeks publicity. You don't get publicity by pulling the same stunt twice.

User avatar
SummerGlauFan
Posts: 1746
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:27 pm UTC
Location: KS

Re: Man rudely reclines seat, fighter jets scrambled

Postby SummerGlauFan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:26 am UTC

Vash wrote:
Cathy wrote:I've had the same experiences as SummerGlauFan above. A 2-hour flight from the UK to Switzerland? A full dinner meal. A 3 hour flight from Houston to LA? Peanuts and soda.

It seems weird that overseas so much more attention is paid to food and amenities whereas in the US those were the first things to go.


Airlines think the key to making money is having bad customer service.


Just like the company I work for. :)
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"


Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests