In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

rigwarl

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby rigwarl » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:29 pm UTC

Arrian wrote:Yes, the SAME Internet as the CIA and the Mexican Government! Because the network used to play a game is the exact same as the network that the CIA's home page is on. Then again, I shouldn't expect the news to do any less scare mongering about the Internet than it does in the real world. They always like to throw lines like that in real world stories as well: "The drug dealers were pulled over on the SAME STREET a kindergarten bus was driving along!!1!"

Location is relevant. A professor was recently killed in a random drive-by shooting in my city and I was like /shrug, whatever, then I heard it was at a place I walked through to get to the gym at night all the time, so I was like "wait, what?" and I'm a bit more cautious and park closer now when I go. Also keep in mind most people aren't as tech savvy as the average xkcd forumite.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:44 pm UTC

userxp wrote:Getting a SWAT team on your house is a serious prank and a good scare, but does not actually have any long-term consequences. On the other hand, if the police ever finds out who did the call (and it's going to be pretty easy unless he was gaming over Tor), he might have a good long stay in jail :roll:.

People coming to an unprepared house carrying guns and prepared for a gunfight is extremely dangerous. Anything mundane that might trigger their self-defense mechanism, as simple as someone turning on a car or a window popping open, is just another chance of someone accidentally pulling the trigger and taking someone's life. Not to mention the trauma of getting your house completely surrounded by SWAT.

But yeah, the guy who did that certainly can't get away.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:48 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
Dauric wrote:
Radical_Initiator wrote:I always get a good laugh out of people claiming there is such a thing as "militant secularization" - yes, I find nothing wrong with absolutely forcing you to practice whatever religion (or lack thereof) you desire as long as you don't expect me to live its tenets.
If that makes me a militant secularist, so be it. I should also warn you, however, that I am a militant non-murderist as well.

Ehh, not quite.

Secularization is the social de-emphasis of religious values for rational values. In that context "Militant Secularist" does indeed make sense as someone intent on forcing modern/rationalist values on the religiously faithful, and it meshes rather nicely if your religion has the paranoid doctrines that the rest of the world is out to get you and those of your faith and throw you in an arena with a bunch of hungry lions.

I think the term you are looking for is Militant Agnostic (our motto: I don't know, and you don't either!").

Welcome to the parade, comrade!

The Militant Agnostic how well I have known and how deeply I have loved The Militant Agnostic.
What do you care, if, I carry a bunch of Fairy Tails in my head?

I might tell you one or two. If, we hung out together, then. Some are weird enough to turn you White. But; (Shrug.) Some people get paid to make up lies. I can tell the truth. It's scary.

So, People find comfort with shared stories and good company. It makes the time go by easily.

We do need secular Laws! Please! Let us not go back to Torture (USA?); Burning Heretics and Witches; (Anybody doing that?) Destroying the lives of people that disagree. (USA)
The USA is quite famous for foul behavior. Justified? As Aesop told us a long time ago. "A tyrant will always find an excuse."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesop%27s_Fables

This is the Twenty-First Century! What happened to the Enlightenment?!

Whaaa! I want reason and sweet silly Fairy Tails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQqbnMSm2aQ&feature=fvst

Magically it all works so well. As long as we work well together.
Nice Fairy Tail as Fairy Tails go.
Different Story:
http://www.waterhistory.org/histories/cairo/

The Rodia Gauge is the oldest working machine on the Planet. Wikipedia says not much about it and it bugs me. Wikipedia knows everything. I want it to know about that machine. It was the first thing that I knew that wiki did not. I had a hard copy book about that machine.
So, interesting. Historians can look at the log books and see wars and famine and stuff. That is what they say. (Shrug.)
Anyone else care? I no longer have the book.

The link above is fairly good. Not much math.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:04 pm UTC

Would you say it counts as a machine? From what I've gleaned it appears to be an architectural structure without moving parts, with a rod that measures water depth in cubits, which has been recorded manually throughout the ages. It's essentially no more than a static measurement instrument, rather than a machine (which implies some sort of autodynamism). and I'm sure there are similar measurementalisers that would have been in existence beforehand, such as the thermometer, which was invented initially by the Byzantines.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:43 am UTC

addams wrote:Wikipedia knows everything. I want it to know about that machine. It was the first thing that I knew that wiki did not.
You know how Wikipedia works right? :roll:
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

johnny_7713

Postby johnny_7713 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:02 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Sorry, bentheimmigrant and johnny_7713, but you don't know what you're talking about. You're completely ignoring the money raised from the property the nobility own. Charles, for example, owns the Duchy of Cornwall, which has annual revenue of around £16 - £17 million pounds (and doesn't have to pay taxes like any other corporation does).

I've also never understood the argument that the monarchy makes money for the country through tourism. It's not like people get to the top of the Eiffel Tower and say "Well, it's a great view, but the lack of a monarchy really spoils it."

I'm sorry but I don't see how that invalidates my argument. Yes the Duchy of Cornwall has an annual revenue, but that does not come from taxes, but from an investment portfolio and from the income of usage of the land it owns (i.e. through rent or through direct exploitation by the Duchy). My point was that while nobles in the UK may gain (large amounts of) income from usage of their land they do not have any special legal rights to raise tax. They can charge rent or derive other sources of income from their land ownership, but so may any other landowners who do not have a noble title.

Bentheimmigrant was arguing a separate point, viz. that all the income derived from property owned by the Royal Family goes to the state, which you have indeed disproven.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:10 pm UTC

Oh, OK, I misinterpreted you. My apologies.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:11 pm UTC

A couple decides to do some Valentine's Day bondage roleplay... which leads to an arrest.

On Valentine’s Day, nine police cruisers responded to reports that a naked woman was tied up in the back of a car with duct tape over her mouth at the New Seasons Market in Portland, Oregon (video below).
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:28 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:A couple decides to do some Valentine's Day bondage roleplay... which leads to an arrest.

On Valentine’s Day, nine police cruisers responded to reports that a naked woman was tied up in the back of a car with duct tape over her mouth at the New Seasons Market in Portland, Oregon (video below).

Really, I'm not against sexual role-playing, bondage or consensual playing with non-consent scenarios.. but that one is just pure unadulterated idiocy and they should have known that the policy would end up involved.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Randomizer

Postby Randomizer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:33 pm UTC

Funny how the video says, "We're not going to mention names because it's just a misdemeanor," but the page you linked to has the couple's faces and names plastered over it.
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:41 pm UTC

I wonder if nine police cruisers responded simply because the cops went "A naked woman? I'm there!".
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:00 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:
addams wrote:Wikipedia knows everything. I want it to know about that machine. It was the first thing that I knew that wiki did not.
You know how Wikipedia works right? :roll:

Not really. I would not have a clue about editing Wikipedia.

And; Yeah; It had a moving part of some kind. That book is long gone. But; I remember something about a moving part. Gott'a have a moving part or it is not a machine.

I Love that humans made Machines and that they kept using that one. It is, really, old.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:49 pm UTC

Ulc wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:A couple decides to do some Valentine's Day bondage roleplay... which leads to an arrest.

Really, I'm not against sexual role-playing, bondage or consensual playing with non-consent scenarios.. but that one is just pure unadulterated idiocy and they should have known that the policy would end up involved.
I probably agree. I'm not watching the video at work, but if people are calling the cops because they see a naked woman tied up in a car... you're doing it wrong.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:08 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:I wonder if nine police cruisers responded simply because the cops went "A naked woman? I'm there!".

I've noticed that in the Portland area police\emergency vehicles tend to come by the baker's dozen. There was once a minor fire at my parents house, which is several miles from the urban growth boundary and eight firetrucks had arrivex in 15 minutes.

Sean Quixote

Postby Sean Quixote » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:04 am UTC

johnny_7713

Postby johnny_7713 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:57 am UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Oh, OK, I misinterpreted you. My apologies.

It happens, apology accepted :)

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:07 am UTC

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:13 am UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Sorry, bentheimmigrant and johnny_7713, but you don't know what you're talking about. You're completely ignoring the money raised from the property the nobility own. Charles, for example, owns the Duchy of Cornwall, which has annual revenue of around £16 - £17 million pounds (and doesn't have to pay taxes like any other corporation does).

I've also never understood the argument that the monarchy makes money for the country through tourism. It's not like people get to the top of the Eiffel Tower and say "Well, it's a great view, but the lack of a monarchy really spoils it."

Ok, so I forgot about duchies. The point is, the Crown Estate is raking in £230 million. For the taxpayer.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:36 am UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:

Ok, so I forgot about duchies. The point is, the Crown Estate is raking in £230 million. For the taxpayer.

Yes, but the Crown Estate has got little to do with the monarchy, and that money would still be raised with or without the Queen. It is essentially a governmental landlord. And it might not stay that way for long. People are campaigning hard to have land owned by the Crown estate, especially the seabeds surrounding the coastline, given over to community control to allow them to make money from renewable projects.
Last edited by Rodion Raskolnikov on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

Randomizer

Postby Randomizer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:18 pm UTC

So the British are petitioning for eminent domain? Why should the monarchy have their land taken from them? Because they wear crowns on their heads? And after they take the Queen's land, who else's land would they want to take next?

I dunno, I'm not really a big fan of the eminent domain we have here in the U.S.
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.

Ghostbear

Postby Ghostbear » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:36 pm UTC

Randomizer wrote:So the British are petitioning for eminent domain? Why should the monarchy have their land taken from them? Because they wear crowns on their heads? And after they take the Queen's land, who else's land would they want to take next?

I dunno, I'm not really a big fan of the eminent domain we have here in the U.S.

Is that really a case of eminent domain in any kind of normal sense? It's an attempt to reclaim possessions owned by the royal family that they own solely due some of their ancestors being the rulers (and not just in name, but in practice as well) of various parts of the British Isles. As far as I understand, the only reason they own it at all is because no one decided to take it back from them earlier. And the only reason they owned it in the first place to be taken away at all is because they owned large swathes of the land in a way that is typically reserved for the government (which is fairly consistent I feel, because they were the government).

For illustrative purposes, imagine if the US government switched over to a nobility governance; all the highways (and parks, and military bases, and all other public property) would be owned by individuals. If the US then switched back away from a nobility governance, would it be wrong for the people to want to reclaim those roads? It's not taking the "Queen's land", it's reclaiming land that the people once entrusted (willingly or not) to the Queen's ancestors. You can still think that's wrong, but I don't think it's really comparable to eminent domain at all, and it definitely isn't a potential slippery slope of them taking back land from anyone they want- the only others that would still be at risk would be any nobility that still owns lands based solely on their nobility (I do not know enough about the modern British peerage system to know if that applies to anyone).

sigsfried

Postby sigsfried » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:50 pm UTC

Also there is a distinction between property belonging to the Crown and Property belonging to the Queen. In a similar way to the distinction between that owned by the office of the POTUS and that owned by Obama.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:33 pm UTC

Record $6 Trillion of Fake U.S. Bonds Seized
Were they planning on trying to use these?
Spoiler:
Italian anti-mafia prosecutors said they seized a record $6 trillion of allegedly fake U.S. Treasury bonds, an amount that’s almost half of the U.S.’s public debt.
The bonds were found hidden in makeshift compartments of three safety deposit boxes in Zurich, the prosecutors from the southern city of Potenza said in an e-mailed statement. The Italian authorities arrested eight people in connection with the probe, dubbed “Operation Vulcanica,” the prosecutors said.
The U.S. embassy in Rome has examined the securities dated 1934, which had a nominal value of $1 billion apiece, they said in the statement. Officials for the embassy didn’t have an immediate comment.
The financial fraud uncovered by the Italian prosecutors in Potenza includes two checks issued through HSBC Holdings Plc (HSBA) in London for 205,000 pounds ($325,000), checks that weren’t backed by available funds, the prosecutors said. As part of the probe, fake bonds for $2 billion were also seized in Rome. The individuals involved were planning to buy plutonium from Nigerian sources, according to phone conversations monitored by the police.
The fraud posed “severe threats” to international financial stability, the prosecutors said in the statement. HSBC spokesman Patrick Humphris in London declined to comment when contacted by telephone.
Money Laundering
Zurich’s public prosecutor’s office provided material to their Italian counterparts in Potenza in 2011, according to Corinne Bouvard, a spokeswoman for the senior public prosecutor’s office of the canton of Zurich. The Swiss part of the investigation ended on July 22, she said.
The Italian investigation initially focused on a Sicilian who was living in Potenza and was “already known for money laundering and exporting currency abroad,” according to the statement from the Potenza prosecutor’s office.
Phony U.S. securities have been seized in Italy before and there were at least three cases in 2009. Italian police seized phony U.S. Treasury bonds with a face value of $116 billion in August of 2009 and $134 billion of similar securities in June of that year.
The U.S. Secret Service averages about 100 cases a year related to bonds and other fictitious instruments.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Arrian

Postby Arrian » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:44 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:Record $6 Trillion of Fake U.S. Bonds Seized

I can see trying to sell fake US treasuries in Italy; they're likely to default on their own debt in the next few years so people are looking to get away from their bonds to something safe. It's as good a plan for a scam as anything else. But billion dollar paper bonds? I would think that anyone who has that kind of money also knows that US treasuries are no longer printed on paper, they're purely electronic now. And dated 1934? That's just... wha-huh? And Nigerian plutonium? I thought there wasn't plutonium in Nigeria, and we established that somewhere around the Valerie Plame hullabaloo?

This just seems weird.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

Arrian wrote:

I can see trying to sell fake US treasuries in Italy; they're likely to default on their own debt in the next few years so people are looking to get away from their bonds to something safe. It's as good a plan for a scam as anything else. But billion dollar paper bonds? I would think that anyone who has that kind of money also knows that US treasuries are no longer printed on paper, they're purely electronic now. And dated 1934? That's just... wha-huh? And Nigerian plutonium? I thought there wasn't plutonium in Nigeria, and we established that somewhere around the Valerie Plame hullabaloo?

This just seems weird.

Ehh, I'm not sure that they'd be selling those 'billion dollar' treasury notes for serious cash to savvy investment types. 6-trillion of 1-billion bonds is still 6,000 bits of paper to scam people with. Sell them at $1,000, or even $100 a piece to the typical working-stiff who's looking at their retirement-plans going belly up when Italy goes through Greece-like monetary issues (and watching a future in-potentia unfold just across the Adriatic) and would love to find a magical treasure-chest of cash from a country with (relatively) stable currency, and you're still looking at a sizable profit.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:19 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
Arrian wrote:

This just seems weird.

Ehh, I'm not sure that they'd be selling those 'billion dollar' treasury notes for serious cash to savvy investment types. 6-trillion of 1-billion bonds is still 6,000 bits of paper to scam people with. Sell them at $1,000, or even $100 a piece to the typical working-stiff who's looking at their retirement-plans going belly up when Italy goes through Greece-like monetary issues (and watching a future in-potentia unfold just across the Adriatic) and would love to find a magical treasure-chest of cash from a country with (relatively) stable currency, and you're still looking at a sizable profit.

Or maybe they were intended to be used as gag gifts for members of the "family"?

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:31 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:U.S. man tries to evict 98-year-old mother on her birthday

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/artic ... thday?bn=1

It think it goes without saying that the man in this story is the dictionary definition of an asshole.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:00 pm UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:

It think it goes without saying that the man in this story is the dictionary definition of an asshole.

If you believe his side of the story, he wants her to either move in with him or into a nursing home because she can't take care of herself anymore. I don't know how true that really is, but I find it pretty plausible, just from some of the experiences I've had with my older relatives.

There really isn't much info about the actual case. It appears that the Mom (and her now-dead husband) transferred the house to a trust run by her sons, on the condition that she live there until she died. Somehow, this one son gained sole ownership of the house (how, though?).
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:13 pm UTC

buddy431 wrote:
Triangle_Man wrote:

If you believe his side of the story, he wants her to either move in with him or into a nursing home because she can't take care of herself anymore. I don't know how true that really is, but I find it pretty plausible, just from some of the experiences I've had with my older relatives.

There really isn't much info about the actual case. It appears that the Mom (and her now-dead husband) transferred the house to a trust run by her sons, on the condition that she live there until she died. Somehow, this one son gained sole ownership of the house (how, though?).

1) Fair enough on that point, although there has got to be a better way of going about that then serving her an eviction notice...

2) Maybe the other son(s) died or there was a legal issue or the other son(s) didn't want it anymore or...
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:14 pm UTC

You are the one Neo. B-AWWWWK
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

Lostdreams wrote:You are the one Neo. B-AWWWWK

Brainless chickens...

Keanu Reeves....

"Like, Woah..."
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:54 pm UTC

How much would a Death Star costs?
Spoiler:
Building a massive space weapon is all very well, but you have to find the materials to build it with. It's easy to say that "sure, the Death Star would be expensive" but is there actually enough iron in the Earth to make the first Death Star? Centives decided to find out.

We began by looking at how big the Death Star is. The first one is reported to be 140km in diameter and it sure looks like it's made of steel. But how much steel? We decided to model the Death Star as having a similar density in steel as a modern warship. After all, they're both essentially floating weapons platforms so that seems reasonable.

Name: HMS Illustrious

Volume: 28,591.2 m3

Mass: 22,000 tonnes

Scaling up to the Death Star, this is about 1.08x1015 tonnes of steel. 1 with fifteen zeros.

Which seems like a colossal mass but we've calculated that from the iron in the earth, you could make just over 2 billion Death Stars. You see the Earth's crust may have a limited amount of iron, but the core is mostly our favourite metal and is both very big and very dense, and it's from here that most of our death-star iron would come.

Name: Death Star

Volume: 1,440,000 kilometres3

Mass: 1.08 x 1015 tonnes

But, before you go off to start building your apocalyptic weapon, do bear in mind two things. Firstly, the two billion death stars is mostly from the Earth's core which we would all really rather you didn't remove. And secondly, at today's rate of steel production (1.3 billion tonnes annually), it would take 833,315 years to produce enough steel to begin work. So once someone notices what you're up to, you have to fend them off for 800 millennia before you have a chance to fight back. In context, it takes under an hour to get the steel for HMS Illustrious.

Oh, and the cost of the steel alone? At 2012 prices, about $8,100,000,000,000,000. Or roughly 13,000 times the worlds GDP.

But then again, you can just take out a loan from the entire planet and then default on them in the most awesome way possible.

(For the record when converting between iron and steel, Centives assumed a medium steel of 99.5% iron)

Enjoyed this article? You might also enjoy find out how much it would cost to buy the Robots from Real Steel, or the tuition at Hogwarts. You can find those and other interesting things in our Editorials although if you want a selection of our most popular check out the "Greatest Hits". You might also want to follow us on twitter to get the latest and greatest from Centives.
TL;DR: More money than is on Earth many times over.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:04 pm UTC

Well yes, but the Death Star was built by a galaxy-spanning empire, so I very much doubt all those materials came from a single planet. There are also plenty of uninhabitable planets with a plentiful supply of iron, which would probably be more trouble than they're worth to terraform.

Besides, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to convert this into a Death Star.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:29 pm UTC

I'm a little dissapointed that link wasn't a "your momma" joke.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:45 pm UTC

I wouldn't dream to stoop so low.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:46 pm UTC

Although once you build the first death star, mining out the core of a planet becomes much faster and easier.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:04 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
Lostdreams wrote:You are the one Neo. B-AWWWWK

Brainless chickens...

Keanu Reeves....

"Like, Woah..."

I think we are all actually Chickens in a VR simulation pretending to be humans... and then we "die" we get unplugged from the system, featherless, and dumped directly into the deep frier.

yurell

Postby yurell » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:59 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Well yes, but the Death Star was built by a galaxy-spanning empire ...

It was built by a galaxy-spanning empire in secret. This gives a sheer sense of scale for just how ludicrously big the Empire's industrial power is. Not to mention the power output of its superlaser outshines the entire galaxy, and it can do that without melting, as well as the fact it can withstand really large accelerations (and we've no idea how FTL works, so that could be insanely cheap or insanely expensive). I should think a solid ball of steel would be comparatively cheap to make.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:27 pm UTC

An empire with access to the resources of an entire galaxy... yes, I can quite believe they'd have the industrial capacity to pull that off. Galaxies are quite big.

Return to “News & Articles”